• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official NeoGAF Groundbreaking Electronic Music Thread™

btkadams

this month i'm going to try to finish my EP and put it up for free download. i'll post it here so i can get some comments from you guys. i promised myself i wouldn't put out another mixtape until it's done, so my next mixtape will probably be around canada day (july 1st).

subrock

OHHHH SHIIIIII.... just got news about a very exciting gig for me coming up. I'll spill beans when I'm allowed. Also might be playing with Vanilla Ice at the end of the summer :lol :lol

BTK or someone that loves ableton: I dont know how to make loops and whatnot and throw a static effect on a loop, but the whole automation of FX and throwing of flares and fills really confuses me. are there any good tutorials on this specifically that might help? would anyone be interested in giving me a little help if I sent the .alp?

btkadams

subrock said:
OHHHH SHIIIIII.... just got news about a very exciting gig for me coming up. I'll spill beans when I'm allowed. Also might be playing with Vanilla Ice at the end of the summer :lol :lol

BTK or someone that loves ableton: I dont know how to make loops and whatnot and throw a static effect on a loop, but the whole automation of FX and throwing of flares and fills really confuses me. are there any good tutorials on this specifically that might help? would anyone be interested in giving me a little help if I sent the .alp?
fb message me and ill try and help you out. ableton is scary at first but it is suprisingly simple once you figure the basics out. i cant think of any tutorials i've used, because i've been using ableton for a while.

theres a bunch of tutorials on youtube though. even do a google search of ableton basics and i bet theres some good starting guides.

when the hell are you gonna play at habitat in calgary?

subrock

btkadams said:
fb message me and ill try and help you out. ableton is scary at first but it is suprisingly simple once you figure the basics out. i cant think of any tutorials i've used, because i've been using ableton for a while.

theres a bunch of tutorials on youtube though. even do a google search of ableton basics and i bet theres some good starting guides.

when the hell are you gonna play at habitat in calgary?
I can do everything (well not everything) up to the song mode, where I can lay out the song and what not, but I get tripped up by adding the awesome stuff. I have the makings of a pretty good song at this point so I'll see if I can chuck it onto a timeline and then whittle it down to something good.

btkadams

subrock said:
I can do everything (well not everything) up to the song mode, where I can lay out the song and what not, but I get tripped up by adding the awesome stuff. I have the makings of a pretty good song at this point so I'll see if I can chuck it onto a timeline and then whittle it down to something good.
what stuff is the cool stuff? like compressors/reverb? or like distortion, delays, chorus, etc.

subrock

btkadams said:
what stuff is the cool stuff? like compressors/reverb? or like distortion, delays, chorus, etc.
reversed cymbals, drum fills, HPF LPF, delay etc. in terms of FX, basically anything that I'd like to be able to turn up and down or on and off.

btkadams

subrock said:
reversed cymbals, drum fills, HPF LPF, delay etc. in terms of FX, basically anything that I'd like to be able to turn up and down or on and off.
if you want anything reversed and its an audio clip, press the Rev. button on the bottom bar that pops up when you double click the audio clip.

if its midi and you want the sound reversed, its easy to just render that one part into an audio clip and then import it.

i would suggest just searching random ableton tutorials since theres a lot of useful knowledge out there. i can help with quite a bit so just let me know if you're struggling with a certain thing.

Nyx

djtiesto said:
Need to make a new mix, I've been slacking so much lately :(

Same here, and from now on my mixes will be made with a Reloop Digital Jockey 2 + Traktor Pro instead of just Ableton and a mouse + keyboard. :lol

Widge

I stick VSTi's onto my Returns and send audio to them via the send volume toggles on each channel. I tend to mix rather than produce so more than adequate.

Get acquainted with Drum Rack by the way, much better than using Impulse for drums, you can stick effect chains on individual sounds and build up a bank of awesome.

Also never use the built in EQs in Ableton, terrible, the impact the audio just by being present.

Dunno if you're a member of themixingbowl but there is an epic and useful thread on there!

I love Ableton, its practically as simple as navigating Excel once you're used to it.

Widge

subrock said:

reversed cymbals - load the sample into Drum Rack, it appears in Simpler (I believe, there IS a toggle to make it use sampler as well), you can edit start/end points of it, reverse, pitch, spread, filter, direction of play... awesome

drum fills - just make an empty clip in your drum rack channel and pen in some stuff

HPF LPF - there is the Autofilter VSTi, just dump it onto the applicable track with a doubleclick!

Delay - I love a bit of PING PONG, I just stick it into the returns and use the send volume things I mentioned earlier. If I was at home I'd imageshack you some pictures.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Anybody hear John Digweed's latest Essential Mix? Pretty amazing, it's like the last 6 years of EDM never happened. Some dark, epic and lush soundscapes on that one.

subrock

okay, so here is a very basic, very rough first cut of what I've been working on for the last 2 days. feedback and tips are welcome. still figuring things out so this is still rudimentary. I can provide the .alp if anyone wants to tinker with it.
http://www.mediafire.com/?jmwzi2dmzuz

its a little heavy on the LFO but I've since fixed that.

btkadams

subrock said:
okay, so here is a very basic, very rough first cut of what I've been working on for the last 2 days. feedback and tips are welcome. still figuring things out so this is still rudimentary. I can provide the .alp if anyone wants to tinker with it.

cool idea! i like it. let me know when you're finished working on it because id love to do a remix/edit of it (if you're cool with that?). i just really like the vocal cut and chord progression.

anybody can do that with any of mine when they're done if they want to as well.

oh and if you want to "jfk" compress it, a good tip is to run everything but the kick drum into a bus and compress/squash the bus. then just put a small compressor on the master so that the kick drum isn't squashed with everything but is still a little bit compressed to fit into the mix well.

subrock

btkadams said:
cool idea! i like it. let me know when you're finished working on it because id love to do a remix/edit of it (if you're cool with that?). i just really like the vocal cut and chord progression.

anybody can do that with any of mine when they're done if they want to as well.

oh and if you want to "jfk" compress it, a good tip is to run everything but the kick drum into a bus and compress/squash the bus. then just put a small compressor on the master so that the kick drum isn't squashed with everything but is still a little bit compressed to fit into the mix well.
oh, nice, good advice on the compressor. I'll see if I can figure that out.

I think I am going to try and add some more interest/complexity to the drums and make it a bit more techy/interesting.

Alucrid

Banned
subrock said:

Groovy, I like it. As far as tips go, I have no idea. I just listen to whatever you guys put out. :lol

btkadams

Widge said:
you should stick your stuff up on Soundcloud! Easier to check on there...
i think he didn't want to do this because he actually has his professional stuff up on there and this is incomplete. i dunno, that's just my thought. but if he wanted, he could post it up as private and then just post the "secret link" on neogaf (assuming he has an account that allows secret links).

btkadams

im so pissed. my firepod broke today. it won't turn on and i've heard about this problem more commonly being something wrong with the actual firepod, not the power supply. fucking fuck fuck fuck fuckkk.

guess i might have to shell out money for an NI audio 4 or 8.. i was hoping i could make this 7 year old firepod last me until usb3.0 or Apple/Intel Light Peak are standard computer connectors for these things.

subrock

btkadams said:
i think he didn't want to do this because he actually has his professional stuff up on there and this is incomplete. i dunno, that's just my thought. but if he wanted, he could post it up as private and then just post the "secret link" on neogaf (assuming he has an account that allows secret links).
yup, this. I can do private links though with my new account so I'll try to get some stuff up on there so you guys can listen without having to DL

Widge

btkadams said:

Ah right, sorry, was jumping to assumption there!

Shinichi Osawa's new album SO2 is just a week away from its digital release. It sounds FAN-FUCKING-TASTIC. I have no doubts it will be the best electro house album released this year. I am so psyched for the release I can barely contain myself.

Shinichi Osawa -Love Will Guide You feat. Tommie Sunshine (Full Version) This is the only full track that has been released thus far. It's good.

http://shinichiosawa.dj/ - This site has samples of all of the tracks, as well as mixes of the tracks by various DJs.

It's definitely worth checking out.

Alucrid

Banned
AbortedWalrusFetus said:
Shinichi Osawa's new album SO2 is just a week away from its digital release. It sounds FAN-FUCKING-TASTIC. I have no doubts it will be the best electro house album released this year. I am so psyched for the release I can barely contain myself.

Shinichi Osawa -Love Will Guide You feat. Tommie Sunshine (Full Version) This is the only full track that has been released thus far. It's good.

http://shinichiosawa.dj/ - This site has samples of all of the tracks, as well as mixes of the tracks by various DJs.

You're right, good shit.

Davidion

AbortedWalrusFetus said:

Not a big fan of that particular track, but thank fuck the "electro house" sound is shifting towards house and disco and away from the stupid blog house nonsense.

joelseph said:
Recent Smalltown DJs mix "Fortune Mix" is amazing as usual.

http://www.mediafire.com/?znlmgmiwnjj

Sure is a pretty great mix halfway through thus far.

Nyx

Widge said:
I've only made one track, considering I love tech house etc. its not what you'd expect. Had been listening to a lot of Christ. at the time:

http://soundcloud.com/fourfourfun/fourfourfun-all-things-start

Got a couple of tech house WIPs that I need to finish off. They are private, but if I post the links will they show up in here?

The IDM track is not really my style, but still good work !

Curious to hear your techhouse tracks, as I make that myself. :)

btkadams

AbortedWalrusFetus said:

im actually so stoked for this and i actually just found out about it a couple days ago.

Nyx

Widge

Davidion said:
Not a big fan of that particular track, but thank fuck the "electro house" sound is shifting towards house and disco and away from the stupid blog house nonsense.

Yeah, I don't particularly think that track is great, or even one of his best, but the samples on the other site show a lot more promising tracks. As far as I'm concerned he's more in tune with where it's going than even the french house greats. It's my favorite genre of electronic music, but lately (since Justice/Boys Noize) things have gotten a bit redundant and overdone. His last album, The One, was pretty experimental, and this one feels more melodic from the samples, but it's still has some pretty awesome beats in it.

If it doesn't get a shitton of club play I will be very surprised.

btkadams said:
im actually so stoked for this and i actually just found out about it a couple days ago.

I've been following his site and facebook pages religiously for the past year. I knew the album was coming, because he was saying he was finished recording and it was out for mastering, but I was surprised how quickly after that they announced the release. And then how quickly the release is coming after the announcement. They only announced the release a week or so ago, and it will already be out next week.

okno

subrock said:
new revision in case anyone is keeping tabs...

http://soundcloud.com/touch-bass/chaka

any tips or hamfisted rewrites welcome.

Says can´t be found when I click on it. Do I just need to create an account to be able to listen to private links?

I´m stoked for that Shinichi Osawa. I´ve been in love with the guy ever since I heard their "Popper" remix. That single, though, is god awful. Way, way too irritating. Had he let it get that intense during the climax I wouldn't mind it, but as it stands it just gets on my nerves way too quickly. I'm liking the samples of the other songs, though, especially "Singapore Swing." "Technodluv," or whatever it's called, is another wtf moment for me, but not the good wtf moment.

okno said:
Says can´t be found when I click on it. Do I just need to create an account to be able to listen to private links?

I´m stoked for that Shinichi Osawa. I´ve been in love with the guy ever since I heard their "Popper" remix. That single, though, is god awful. Way, way too irritating. Had he let it get that intense during the climax I wouldn't mind it, but as it stands it just gets on my nerves way too quickly. I'm liking the samples of the other songs, though, especially "Singapore Swing." "Technodluv," or whatever it's called, is another wtf moment for me, but not the good wtf moment.

His stuff tends to get pretty intense. His last album had a lot of it. This album sounds a lot less so than the last from the samples. I can see how people would find it harsh if they're not into more intense stuff, but that's more my flavor.

Galang

Banned
Woah, new Shinichi Osawa? Thanks for the heads up! I really loved his first album and he's one of the few artists who I think not only picks great songs to remix, but really adds his own style to them as well. :D

miyuru

Heyo! Haven't seen this thread in forever. I made this edit for Two Charming Guys the other day, has been well-received - check it out:

http://soundcloud.com/miyuru/lorcan...ix-miyuru-fernando-one-minute-moombahton-edit

Past that.....figure I'll get everyone hyped by posting some posters from upcoming and past shows that I've booked :) Who remembers that thread where I was asking for help with that first poster? ;)

27831_638147985365_120400944_37224907_901954_n.jpg

31731_637144865625_120400944_37175385_764297_n.jpg

29181_634040511775_120400944_37046457_3845379_n.jpg

26550_630969780545_120400944_36933719_1785222_n.jpg

26920_629826885915_120400944_36892168_5332887_n.jpg

(cancelled, which is why I had Villains)

18975_623000855335_120400944_36607544_3385191_n.jpg

Shaneus

Kele - Tenderoni. Yes. Lead singer of Bloc Party
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdQioZHYpvQ

Where the FUCK did this song come from? And how much did he have to do with the production? Sure, it's commercial... but it's pure, unadulterated dancefloor fun. I fucking love it.

Oh, I'll be reposting this on the next page, too... it deserves it.

Galang

Banned
Did Bloc Party really break up? Most fans hated their last album, but it made me a fan. I'm not sure if Kele was the reason their last album Intimacy sounded so electro, but I loved the hell out of it.
Liking what I'm hearing from Kele so far, the album is set to drop soon isn't it?

Prez

Damn, I haven't been following this genre for years! I never liked most of it, I guess that's why. The only things I used to love were Digitalism and Shinichi Osawa. Any other music like these?

Shaneus

Nope, not splitting up. From what I've read, Kele's made some comments that may be (mis)construed as him thinking of leaving, but it could all just be talk.

And yeah, single officially drops tomorrow, the album a week later. Judging by promo pics going round, he's cradling a drum machine so maybe he's had a lot more to do with the production of these tracks than I initially thought.

He's also playing a festival here in Aus. later this year... I thought his name looked out of place on an electronic music lineup. Now, I'm not so sure.

btkadams

Shaneus said:
Kele - Tenderoni. Yes. Lead singer of Bloc Party
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdQioZHYpvQ

Where the FUCK did this song come from? And how much did he have to do with the production? Sure, it's commercial... but it's pure, unadulterated dancefloor fun. I fucking love it.

Oh, I'll be reposting this on the next page, too... it deserves it.
im actually almost done a really cool (well i know I WILL mix with it) edit of this. great song! i'm definitely excited for this album.

Top Bottom