• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official NeoGAF Groundbreaking Electronic Music Thread™

btkadams

im seeing deadmau5 for the first time on thursday night. i've never been too big of a fan, but certainly respect his stuff. i did love some of his songs. anybody seen his latest live performance with the daft-alive style set?

He's coming to my city the day after yours. I was thinking of going, but nahh.

I used to be a huge fan, but his latest songs have been boring me. Now all I can listen to is Not Exactly and Strobe

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
subrock said:
oh hawaii, you try, but you most often fail. not a single name on that bill I recognize.

edit: well I'm stupid, thought that was actually in hawaii, and I remembered the horrid scene there, but its in the netherlands. might actually be fun in that case :D

Looks to be all trance/tech-trance guys... some rather big names if you're into the genre, like Rank 1 (Airwave was a MASSIVE song back in the day), Andy Moor (Whiteroom was the biggest trance song of 2005), Sean Tyas, and Aly and Fila...

Dartastic

Hyping this because it's genuinely good.

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/14433-cerulean/

http://pitchfork.com/tv/#/episode/2730-baths/1

P.S. Some advice as to what he's actually doing in that second link would be greeeeat. Most notably, how to trigger samples in ableton and speed them up/slow them down/whatever. I've been putting them on a drum rack and manually triggering them, but that doesn't really work that well. My sampler (AKAI MPD32, same as in the vid) isn't letting me trigger clips individually, but I think that might just be because of how I have it configured, it's on factory defaults right now. I just got it, and I'm still figuring it out. Hell, I've still got loads of learning in Ableton and the like to do. :D

Davidion

Dartastic said:

P.S. Some advice as to what he's actually doing in that second link would be greeeeat. Most notably, how to trigger samples in ableton and speed them up/slow them down/whatever. I've been putting them on a drum rack and manually triggering them, but that doesn't really work that well. My sampler won't let me trigger clips individually, but I think that might just be because of how I have it configured. I just got it, and I'm still figuring it out. :D

Good man.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJhgsrqTzSk

Fucking awesome.

Dartastic

Hall is pretty much my jam of the summer, and Will is genuinely one of the nicest, happiest people I've ever met. He's a complete sweetheart.

subrock

Dartastic said:

P.S. Some advice as to what he's actually doing in that second link would be greeeeat. Most notably, how to trigger samples in ableton and speed them up/slow them down/whatever. I've been putting them on a drum rack and manually triggering them, but that doesn't really work that well. My sampler (AKAI MPD32, same as in the vid) isn't letting me trigger clips individually, but I think that might just be because of how I have it configured, it's on factory defaults right now. I just got it, and I'm still figuring it out. Hell, I've still got loads of learning in Ableton and the like to do. :D

will check this out when I get home.

Davidion

Dartastic said:
Hall is pretty much my jam of the summer, and Will is genuinely one of the nicest, happiest people I've ever met. He's a complete sweetheart.

Oh you've met him? Very nice.

He might have a tour date over here in NYC in early August. Think I'll go check him live.

Dartastic

Davidion said:
Oh you've met him? Very nice.

He might have a tour date over here in NYC in early August. Think I'll go check him live.

Yeah, he recently played here in Portland. Great show, definitely go see him. Such an awesome guy. Strangely enough, he's also a really good friend of my ex-girlfriend. Small world, for sure.

One more video, because it's awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cKArf52l2k&feature=related

P.S. Is that Fruity Loops in the background? I've never used it.

Galang

Banned
Dartastic said:

This is absolutely beautiful, will have to listen to the album.

Discotheque said:
Anybody listen to this Shinichi Osawa album yet?

http://toomanysebastians.net/images/so2.jpg[IMG]

It's soooooo good.[/QUOTE]

I prefer his debut album, but still a really nice album. My favorite upon my first three listens is heart goes boom.

Dartastic

So also just wondering, but does anyone have any good resources on home mastering/eqing/whatevering/making your tracks sound good in Ableton? I've got some stuff that I'm working on, and I want to make sure that they sound as good as possible, because I really know nothing about any of that stuff, and I'd love to learn more. For example, I've got that song a couple posts back (http://soundcloud.com/dartastic/cats-cradle) that I really think could be way better if it was eq'ed and leveled and mastered properly and what not but yeah. Cause like, on some speakers it just KICKS ASS but on others it's just... meh. I need to be able to not have that happen. If anyone has any good resources they wouldn't mind sharing I'd really appreciate it.

joelseph

KingdomByDanielleLevitt-620x446.jpg

Kingdom – Live CD-R Set For Get Wavey (June 2010)

okno

UMMMM!!!!!

Party of the summer happening August 6th at the Bunker in Brooklyn!!! Its the second event in the bi-monthly Berghain residency at the Bunker, featuring Marcel Dettmann, Spinoza, and Steffi! $10 advance tickets Can be found easily online or purchased at Halcyon in Brooklyn or Other Music in Manhattan! If you're in or near NYC, this is something you do not want to miss out on!

The first night of the residency featured Tobias., Prosumer, and I forget the other guy (oops)... Was originally supposed to be Shed instead of Tobias., but Shed's work visa got lost in the mail. I unfortunately was not in town at the time, but I hear it was absolutely epic! This upcoming night should be suitably amazing, especially since Dettmann says the Bunker is one of his top 5 favorite clubs in the world to spin in!

There are far too many amazing shows coming in the next three weeks...

btkadams

Nyx said:
Quality and Afrojack in 1 sentence ? :lol

(I know, taste is personal)
i thought afrojack was gonna be dope when he first started putting out big tunes but he's put out so much of the same now. im with you dude.

miyuru

New mix....my first 'proper' mix:

2knbir.jpg

http://soundcloud.com/miyuru/miyuru-fernando-blended-volume-1

1. Zombies For Money - Numbra One (Foamo Remix)
2. Will Bailey - Slap
3. Knight Riderz - Party Alarm
4. NT89 & Distrakt - Pumpin' (Beataucue Remix)
5. JFK & St. Mandrew - Beehive
6. Blatta & Inesha - Bite Your Lip (Congorock Remix)
7. Klaxons - Atlantis to Interzone (So Me Remix)
8. Kid Cudi feat. Kanye West & Common - Make Her Say (Afrojack Remix)
9. M.A.N.D.Y. - Body Language
10. Simian Mobile Disco - I Got This Down
11. Justice - Waters of Nazareth (Erol Alkan's Durrr Durrr Durrrrrr Re-Edit)
12. Daft Punk - Robot Rock (DJ Tool)
13. Doctor P - Sweet Shop
14. Dizzee Rascal & Armand Van Helden - Bonkers (Doorly Remix)
15. Silvio Ecomo & Chuckie - Moombah (Afrojack Remix)
16. Designer Drugs - Drop Down
17. Modeselektor - Kill Bill Vol 4
18. Laidback Luke & Diplo - Hey!
19. Proxy - Dancing In The Dark (Bare Noize & Ollie VIP Remix)
20. Dave Nada - KRS Moombahton
21. Foamo - Jookie
22. High Powered Boys - Highway
23. Mom and Dad - Judas (SonicC Remix)
24. Autoerotique - Gladiator (Torro Torro Remix)
25. JFK & St. Mandrew - Face Pump
26. Kill The Noise - My World
27. Bart B More - Now Lay Around (PeaceTreaty Ketchup Remix)
28. Little Boots - Stuck On Repeat (Fake Blood Remix)
29. Chromeo - Night By Night (Acapella)
30. Daft Punk - Aerodynamic
31. Ellie Goulding - Starry Eyed (Jakwob Remix)

Took my time on this one, please listen to it if you're looking for something more than track A->B mixing.

joelseph

miyuru said:
Took my time on this one, please listen to it if you're looking for something more than track A->B mixing.

If you want to get away from straight mixing you have to get away from the computer.

Dartastic

Question about making an effect in Ableton. So, at about 42, 43 seconds into this video, there's this really cool effect where he basically stops everything and beat repeats a segment really fast. Is that actually what's going on? If so, what's the best way to perform it? It also sounds like he might be turning down the entire mix then turning up another part that's making that sound. I'm not so sure, however. I hoped maybe some of you more experienced guys would know.

hoverX

Thinking about getting into making some music (hip hop mostly). I have a mac, should i jump right in and start using Logic express/studio or should i fuck around with garage band first for a bit?

edit: Oops posted this in the wrong thread.

miyuru

joelseph said:
If you want to get away from straight mixing you have to get away from the computer.

:lol no need to be a smartass in this thread please.

Johnlenham said:
I like it, need to listen to it alot louder or at a house party or something for full effect. At least Ill have something new to play at work tomorrow !

Thanks! :)

Woa, I bought the Kitsuné Maison Compilation 9 yesterday and love it so far.

Kitsun%C3%A9-Maison-9-Cover-400x400.jpg

Tracks:

01: WASHED OUT “Belong”
02: GAMBLE & BURKE “Let’s Go Together”
03: PENGUIN PRISON “Animal Animal”
04: JAMAICA “Short and Entertaining”
05: CROOKERS feat. YELLE “Cooler Couleur”
06: JUPITER “Vox Populi (LIFELIKE treatment)”
07: YUKSEK “Supermenz (We’re Not)”
08: FENECH-SOLER “Stop And Stare”
09: TWO DOOR CINEMA CLUB “Something Good Can Work (The Twelves remix)”
10: LOGO “La Vie Moderne”
11: SILVER COLUMNS “Brow Beaten”
12: HOLY GHOST! “Say My Name”
13: HURTS “Wonderful Life (ARTHUR BAKER remix KITSUNÉ edit)”
14: GYPSY & THE CAT “Time to Wander (JOAN OF ARC remix)”
15: FELDBERG “Dreamin’”
16: YOUR NATURE “Forward Motion”
17: THE GOOD NATURED “Your Body is a Machine (ZEBRA+SNAKE remix)”
18: MONARCHY “The Phoenix Alive (THE OCTANS edit)”

DSK123

Neo Member
Spent some time with Anjunabeats Vol 8 today and boy is it good. Not a single "meh" track. I was a bit nervous considering Vol 7 came out only last fall but I was pleasantly surprised.
Wow at Andrew Bayer's "From The Earth (Breakfast Remix)"

Wes

venison crêpe
Hmmm random question, there's nothing wrong with straight mixing if you're just starting out like I am right?

I just use a program, load up some different songs which I think flow into one another nicely, then play around with the synching of beats and such. But there's nothing wrong with this for a complete novice is there?

joelseph

Wes said:
Hmmm random question, there's nothing wrong with straight mixing if you're just starting out like I am right?

I just use a program, load up some different songs which I think flow into one another nicely, then play around with the synching of beats and such. But there's nothing wrong with this for a complete novice is there?

No, not at all. Most all mixes are straight 4x4 blends.

You do really need to learn to mix with just straight decks though, gives you a better understanding of how it all fits together.

The most important part of mixtapes is the energy and the tracks. The energy has to be what you are going for and the tracks have to be on point. And don't make mixtapes with shit that was hot last season.

miyuru

joelseph said:
And don't make mixtapes with shit that was hot last season.

Expressing yourself isn't about following rules at all, I strongly disagree with your 'get away from the computer' comment and this too. IMO you need to stop being so narrowminded!

btkadams

miyuru said:
Expressing yourself isn't about following rules at all, I strongly disagree with your 'get away from the computer' comment and this too. IMO you need to stop being so narrowminded!
I definitely gotta agree with you on this.

joelseph

miyuru said:

I guess it depends on your motivations then. As a young DJ just starting off I would be trying to get into clubs and parties, to do this I would be trying to make the hottest mixtapes and promos possible. My advice is for that. Keep it fresh, do stuff other people aren't.

miyuru

joelseph said:
I guess it depends on your motivations then. As a young DJ just starting off I would be trying to get into clubs and parties, to do this I would be trying to make the hottest mixtapes and promos possible. My advice is for that. Keep it fresh, do stuff other people aren't.

:lol you're suggesting he do exactly what everyone else is by suggesting not to use tracks that were hot last year.

Just be yourself. Maybe I'm not like other promoters but I couldn't give two shits about DJs who make it a goal to play what's new and AVOID what's even a year old. I think that's fucking pathetic if you're discouraging being YOURSELF in an effort to acquiece to those who can get you gigs.

Here's some advice - rely on YOURSELF to get you gigs. Any respectable promoter will only want to work with real leaders, not sheep. That is to say, do YOUR own thing and make it work for you. There aren't any silly rules and that's the truth.

okno

I would like to point everyone to: http://soundcloud.com/r_co/magda-live-festa-accademia-tenax-firenze-07-11-2009

As you can see, it's a set by Magda from last year. What you guys need to do is listen to it starting from about the 25 minute mark. The mix is pretty boring up until that point, but there's a specific song that happens there that is epic and I think most people would get a little kick out of hearing. The rest of the mix is pretty ace, but, overall, it's a disappointing set for Magda. Still a lot of fun, though.

Top Bottom