• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official NeoGAF Groundbreaking Electronic Music Thread™

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
okno said:
I would like to point everyone to: http://soundcloud.com/r_co/magda-live-festa-accademia-tenax-firenze-07-11-2009

As you can see, it's a set by Magda from last year. What you guys need to do is listen to it starting from about the 25 minute mark. The mix is pretty boring up until that point, but there's a specific song that happens there that is epic and I think most people would get a little kick out of hearing. The rest of the mix is pretty ace, but, overall, it's a disappointing set for Magda. Still a lot of fun, though.

Did you hear her recent podcast for Resident Advisor? It was a bit different than I expected (more oldskool Detroit style electro and some nu disco/nu electro type stuff) but there was an awesome Ryuichi Sakamoto song thrown in there.

Chaplain

Streaming live right now:

ColdharbourDay2010Main.jpg

July 28th - the day Coldharbour Citizens worldwide unite for a unique and special celebration.

And on July 28th 2010, Markus Schulz and Coldharbour Recordings will celebrate a significant milestone - the label's upcoming 100th release.

As part of the Summer of Schulz 2010 strand of events, Markus gives back to the fans by presenting an entire day of sets mixed by a selection of the best Coldharbour DJs, producers, and those who have greatly contributed to one of the most innovative and popular labels at the forefront of trance today.

In assocation with GDJB broadcast partner and our friends at Afterhours FM, Coldharbour Day will be highlighted by an exclusive 4 hour set from Markus himself, where he will showcase the hottest Coldharbour sounds under past, present and future guises.

02:00 EST | 07:00 UK | 08:00 CET: tyDi
03:00 EST | 08:00 UK | 09:00 CET: Mr. Pit
04:00 EST | 09:00 UK | 10:00 CET: Tenishia
05:00 EST | 10:00 UK | 11:00 CET: Mike Foyle
06:00 EST | 11:00 UK | 12:00 CET: Skytech
07:00 EST | 12:00 UK | 13:00 CET: Tucandeo
08:00 EST | 13:00 UK | 14:00 CET: Barnes & Heatcliff
09:00 EST | 14:00 UK | 15:00 CET: Estiva
10:00 EST | 15:00 UK | 16:00 CET: Darren McNally
12:00 EST | 17:00 UK | 18:00 CET: Phynn
13:00 EST | 18:00 UK | 19:00 CET: Markus Schulz (4 Hour Set)
17:00 EST | 22:00 UK | 23:00 CET: Marcus Schossow
18:00 EST | 23:00 UK | 00:00 CET: Nifra
19:00 EST | 00:00 UK | 01:00 CET: Rex Mundi
20:00 EST | 01:00 UK | 02:00 CET: Max Graham
21:00 EST | 02:00 UK | 03:00 CET: Grube & Hovsepian
23:00 EST | 04:00 UK | 05:00 CET: Arnej
00:00 EST | 05:00 UK | 06:00 CET: The Space Rockerz

Listen Links:

Winamp:

http://www.ah.fm/48k.m3u
http://www.ah.fm/96k.m3u
http://www.ah.fm/192k.m3u

Realplayer:

http://www.ah.fm/96k.ram
http://www.ah.fm/192k.ram

Windows Media Player:

http://www.ah.fm/96k.wvx
http://www.ah.fm/192k.wvx

Quicktime:

http://www.ah.fm/96k.qtl
http://www.ah.fm/192k.qtl

Not sure if anyone here is interested but I just put out an album online last night. It's electro dance pop stuff. You can listen to it over on my Bandcamp page.

33d85s3.jpg

track list:

1. It's Just a Matter of Time
2. Restart Again
3. The Rest Fades Away
4. Wake Up
5. X-TYPE
6. 3D Lover
7. Follow Me
8. Gray Z28
9. It Takes 2P
10. Bad Connection
11. Restart Again (Blood Bats Remix)

Check it out if you get a chance.

okno

djtiesto said:
Did you hear her recent podcast for Resident Advisor? It was a bit different than I expected (more oldskool Detroit style electro and some nu disco/nu electro type stuff) but there was an awesome Ryuichi Sakamoto song thrown in there.
Yeah, that mix came out of left field for me, and also disappointed me. It was alright, but not her usual style; far more housey than I've ever heard her. That Chaka Khan remix is killer, though. Sucks that it's not available for purchase. I'm starting to learn to DJ now and would love to drop that in a set.

Was wondering why this didn't get posted...then I saw subrock was banned! :O Free Ian!!!

Touch Bass - Summer Essentials 5

1. Stay Ali - 97 - Datassette Remix
2. Yolanda Be Cool & DCUP - We No Speak Americano (Moonchild Remix)
3. Voltage - All Night (Azari & III Remix)
4. Cullen - Easily Impressed (Calling In Sick Remix)
5. LCD Soundsystem - Drunk Girls (Holy Ghost! Remix)
6. LCD Soundsystem - Tribulations
7. Round Table Knights - Calypso (Original Mix)
8. Panther Hands - You Should Be Dancing
9. Fredrick Carlsson - House (Neon Workout Remix)
10. Casio Kids - finn bikkjen! (lightsoverla remix)
11. Flashworx - Odaiba Chase
12. We Have Band - Love, What You Doing?
13. Zero 7 - Destiny (Fred Falke remix)
14. Jump Jump Dance Dance - Modern Eyes (Bit Funk Remix)
15. Shinichi Osawa - Love Will Guide You (feat.TOMMIE SUNSHINE)

btkadams said:
im seeing deadmau5 for the first time on thursday night. i've never been too big of a fan, but certainly respect his stuff. i did love some of his songs. anybody seen his latest live performance with the daft-alive style set?

How did this go, btw?

btkadams

Skiptastic said:
Was wondering why this didn't get posted...then I saw subrock was banned! :O Free Ian!!!

Touch Bass - Summer Essentials 5

1. Stay Ali - 97 - Datassette Remix
2. Yolanda Be Cool & DCUP - We No Speak Americano (Moonchild Remix)
3. Voltage - All Night (Azari & III Remix)
4. Cullen - Easily Impressed (Calling In Sick Remix)
5. LCD Soundsystem - Drunk Girls (Holy Ghost! Remix)
6. LCD Soundsystem - Tribulations
7. Round Table Knights - Calypso (Original Mix)
8. Panther Hands - You Should Be Dancing
9. Fredrick Carlsson - House (Neon Workout Remix)
10. Casio Kids - finn bikkjen! (lightsoverla remix)
11. Flashworx - Odaiba Chase
12. We Have Band - Love, What You Doing?
13. Zero 7 - Destiny (Fred Falke remix)
14. Jump Jump Dance Dance - Modern Eyes (Bit Funk Remix)
15. Shinichi Osawa - Love Will Guide You (feat.TOMMIE SUNSHINE)

How did this go, btw?
It was actually a great show. The light/stage setup was pretty awesome, it definitely added a lot to the show. Deadmau5 isn't quite my style as I am more into JFK/st.Mandrew/mustardpimp/congorock/blahblahblah, but I still enjoyed myself. I was definitely dancing the whole time and vibing, but I can't say I didn't feel like I wished the awesome stage was going along to a bit different music. I'd say its definitely worth going to if you like deadmau5 at all.

btkadams said:
It was actually a great show. The light/stage setup was pretty awesome, it definitely added a lot to the show. Deadmau5 isn't quite my style as I am more into JFK/st.Mandrew/mustardpimp/congorock/blahblahblah, but I still enjoyed myself. I was definitely dancing the whole time and vibing, but I can't say I didn't feel like I wished the awesome stage was going along to a bit different music. I'd say its definitely worth going to if you like deadmau5 at all.

Yeah, I love Deadmau5, so I'd probably love his show. Too bad I'm in fucking Indianapolis, and the closest he comes is Chicago. :(

okno said:
Whoa, wait... When did subrock get banned? Totally missed that.

Beats me! I can't go back and review his post history so I has no idea!

Skiptastic said:
Yeah, I love Deadmau5, so I'd probably love his show. Too bad I'm in fucking Indianapolis, and the closest he comes is Chicago. :(

It's totally worth the trip. I saw deadmau5 about a week ago and it was amazing. The light show is one of the best I've seen - and I've gone to quite a few shows with a lot of big names (Tiesto, Armin, etc.) who tend to have really high-budget lightshows. The music is awesome too, though he is limited by his setup a bit - he usually plays the same songs in the same order now (more or less) because it has to be synchronized with the lighting. The good news is that they are great songs - especially the new ones he plays live. At the show I went to in Boston, he played Moonlight Sonata Esque and Hard Selection. He even finished on a personal favorite - Arguru, so overall an amazing night. Everyone was going crazy and having a lot of fun.

Trailed off there for a bit - the point is, go see him in Chicago. Totally worth the 3 hour drive. I'd say the only negative bits of the show were the lack of "Hi Friend" and the fact that his encore was a 10-minute long buildup with no drop.

okno

Deadmau5 was just in Chicago on the 3rd or 5th, I forget, at Soldier Field (yes, that's right. Huge outdoor Deadmau5 show in Soldier Field). I didn't end up going, because I had to work and the rest of the lineup was god awful (Designer Drugs, Brazilian Girls, Midnight Conspiracy (shitty local Chicago dj duo) and Kid Color (alright kid, he was neighbor for a summer in Wicker Park, but he has zero personality when he spins)), but I can imagine that it was still a total blast.

Was supposed to see Deadmau5 and Crookers last fall at the Congress Theater, but it was on the same night as my best friend's birthday, and everyone made him throw a birthday party at his apartment. We contemplated ditching his own party to go to the show throughout the night, but never actually went.

What I'm trying to say here is that Deadmau5 rolls through Chicago about three times a year, so you'll have your chance soon enough to see him, even if you have to drive four hours (it'll be worth it).

I found this really fantastic set by Motor City Drum Ensemble that I'm listening to as I type. I tried to link it, but I'm on my iPhone and it's proving difficult to hunt down. If anyone is interested, let me know and I'll find it. It's all MCDE remixes, but it's really great and you wouldn't think it was all just one guy and his remixes (unlike Villalobos' bizarre Fabric mix). Really warm, smooth tech-y, deep house mix. Not usually my thing, but I'm loving this.

okno said:
I found this really fantastic set by Motor City Drum Ensemble that I'm listening to as I type. I tried to link it, but I'm on my iPhone and it's proving difficult to hunt down. If anyone is interested, let me know and I'll find it. It's all MCDE remixes, but it's really great and you wouldn't think it was all just one guy and his remixes (unlike Villalobos' bizarre Fabric mix). Really warm, smooth tech-y, deep house mix. Not usually my thing, but I'm loving this.

If you can locate this, I'd appreciate a link. Based on your description, I'll probably love it.

okno

GallonOMilk said:
If you can locate this, I'd appreciate a link. Based on your description, I'll probably love it.
Found it! I was just looking in the totally wrong spot. Thought I found it in the mixes section of the RA forums, but it was on this blog! Enjoy!

http://seeyounextlifethrashcowboy.wordpress.com/

Edit: just realized it's all MCDE songs mixed by a DJ named Manji. Manji knows how to transition very well. Shit gets so fire in the last 15 minutes.

okno said:
What I'm trying to say here is that Deadmau5 rolls through Chicago about three times a year, so you'll have your chance soon enough to see him, even if you have to drive four hours (it'll be worth it).

The last two times he's been to Chi town I've been unable to get up because of business or personal reasons. I know it's kind of whining (Indianapolis is a big city but we get nothing...NOTHING!), but one of these days, I'll make it up there to see him, I'm sure.

joelseph

2ManyDjs will be playing in Chicago, much better stage show than Deadmouse.

Kingdom's Fact mix dropped today and I actually am liking the Mosca mix more that Fabric dropped! =x

okno

Oh lord, I'm having so much fun over here.

Technique Podcast 011 - Niederflur

Really solid minimal/techno mix. I was never too big on Niederflur, felt they just made really generic and occasionally interesting minimal, but lately I've been more and more impressed with their DJ sets (still don't care about their productions). They have a very identifiable style, but they make each set pretty unique.

Galang

Banned
Patrick Bateman said:
Woa, I bought the Kitsuné Maison Compilation 9 yesterday and love it so far.

Wow, thanks for this!! :D I always thought it stopped at five... I have yet to find another set of compilations that have satisfied me so much. Introduced me to so many great artists.

Am I the only one excited for Miami Horror's debut album, due next month? I got introduced to them through of a few of their remixes, my favorite being for Faker. Preview is up on iTunes AU, a lot of fun stuff. Never noticed how many bands from Australia I love, Miami Horror, Cut Copy, Empire of the Sun, Van She.

Nyx

Made a new mix, minimal and techhouse.

Robert Cashin - 120 Won't Cut It
H&S, Eda - Be Fine
H&S, Jan Hendez, Eda - AKA
Giom - Things U Do
Kid Culture, El Mundo & Satori - Gotta Help (Mendo Remix)
Pablo Cahn - Elle
Danny Serrano - Osaka
Acumen - Fascinate Me
Muovo - Illimani
Antonio de Angelis - Soul Spirit
Tom Flynn - Throb
Andy Kohlmann, Marco Fender - Cubaro
Jay Lumen - Bop Doo
Channel X - Strange Girl
Sante, Sascha Sibler - Roma

August 2010

FUCKING Ass GAF

I'm really struggling.

I'm completely new to the whole electronic music scene (Interested in producing music)
and i'm currently using FL studio to make my first actual remix.

I'm currently working on producing my own beat to go to Drake's "Find your love", and i've set some guidelines for myself:

• My beat must be completely unique to the vocals and must not sound like the original in any way shape, or form.
  • The beat must be unique, yet fitting to the range of the acapella track.
  • Composed beat must be completely made from scratch.

Now, i've spent the day trying to come up with something unique and fitting to the song by experimenting with the various sounds, synthesizers, etc. provided in FL studio but...I can't come up with anything.

I've seriously wasted time trying to come up with something catchy that fits the acapella with absolutely no luck.

I'm getting frustrated because of this, and I need some inspiration.

Any fellow producing GAFfers have advice/tips/opinions to help a producing newbie?
Maybe some recommendations on using a different program you'd prefer over FL Studio?
Any type of feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Also, here's my music page:
FILTHY PAW

(Feedback on my music would be greatly appreciated as well! Thank you!)

Shaneus

subrock said:
I just spent a lot of money. evidence tomorrow when I get my mixer :D
If it is indeed a lot of money, perhaps we should mark the thread NSFW from the noises I'll be making at work when I see it :lol

Listening to the radio rips of unreleased Burial tracks makes me sad :(

I need new Material now Fostercare and the upcoming remixes and collab's aren't enough! Winter is fast approaching and that's when his music comes alive, walking to the bus stop in the city centre after a bad day at work with the rain pouring down and Burial playing on the iPod is a great feeling.

Shaneus

Shaneus said:
Big favour to ask of you all: Does anyone have a copy (for purchase, download, whatever) of Miscommunication by David Guetta? It's only on the 12" for Distortion, or the Japanese import of the Just A Little More Love LP.

None of which I can seem to buy anywhere.

So... little help?

It's been a while (almost 12 months!) but I've finally found a copy. Between a friend and I, he'd ordered a vinyl which was damaged in transit and I'd scoured every single fucking online store, file sharing site and auction place for a copy.

Finally found it on a random file upload site two days ago :D If anyone wants (and it's not against board regulations or something) I'll link you up... it's totally fucking worth it.

joelseph

Mr Solo Dolo said:
Listening to the radio rips of unreleased Burial tracks makes me sad :(

I need new Material now Fostercare and the upcoming remixes and collab's aren't enough! Winter is fast approaching and that's when his music comes alive, walking to the bus stop in the city centre after a bad day at work with the rain pouring down and Burial playing on the iPod is a great feeling.

Post dub is thriving, give this guys a listen: Mount Kimbie, James Blake, Actress, Zomby.

subrock

39813_10150235780485131_660030130_13966985_1494068_n.jpg

$2800 later...

2x Tech 1200 mk2
rane ttm 57sl
akai LPD 8

sounds sooo fucking good too. currently knee deep in the learning curve. :D

Shaneus

Not wanting to take any of the attention from your setup (and man, jealous!) but look who I'll be seeing in a few months:
23wqqzl.jpg

Jealous? You're all jealous.

PS. $2800 seems like an awfully good price for all that gear. Was that all new and at mates rates or second hand? Would love to get a similar setup going at home as well but I need to get motivated to play with my 1000mk3's again before thinking about anything else :lol

subrock

Shaneus said:
Not wanting to take any of the attention from your setup (and man, jealous!) but look who I'll be seeing in a few months:

PS. $2800 seems like an awfully good price for all that gear. Was that all new and at mates rates or second hand? Would love to get a similar setup going at home as well but I need to get motivated to play with my 1000mk3's again before thinking about anything else :lol
FUUUU, great lineup there.

$2800 was fairly good, a friend hooked me up with the mixer for about $300 lower than the lowest CDN retail and threw in some limited edition clear vinyl too. hopefully I can book some serious shows now. sucks getting looked down upon because of your gear.

Shaneus

Are your live gigs mainly just mixing tracks (w/ loops, effects etc. obv.) or do you do extra stuff? The vast majorities of DJs here in AU do the former and just use the club's setup... with the possible exception of bringing in a Serato box before the night starts to hook their laptop and the mixer to.
If you have to bring in your own gear and they were looking down upon you for what you used despite kicking ass, then that's shit... unless that gear was holding you back creatively.

subrock

Shaneus said:
Are your live gigs mainly just mixing tracks (w/ loops, effects etc. obv.) or do you do extra stuff? The vast majorities of DJs here in AU do the former and just use the club's setup... with the possible exception of bringing in a Serato box before the night starts to hook their laptop and the mixer to.
If you have to bring in your own gear and they were looking down upon you for what you used despite kicking ass, then that's shit... unless that gear was holding you back creatively.
Just straight mixing as they say but I have been using a VCI 300 up until now. There is a real purist movement these days amongst djs that started their careers before competent controllers and soundvards came on the market. People I have talk to are under the impression that anything smaller than turntables Or CDJs and a mixer are all automix baby toys and for those in the know that's simply not the case. Admittedly, the sound out of the VCI was my biggest qualm, but the sound usually wasn't the part being damned. I tended to work faster and more confidently with more accurate bpms displayed for me and easier workflows, but I'm sure that will come with the turntables. It's a huge step back in terms of accuracy, but it's what people want to see a dj doing, and if it means more gigs then who am I to argue.

Shaneus

That's shit. They'll probably wonder why you're not doing anything with the turntables for the duration of a track after you've cued and beatmatched the next one. That's by far my biggest problem when playing in public, not knowing what the fuck to do for the 5 minutes* after you've cued your next track up :lol

*obviously there are effects/loops, but I tend to use those very sparingly

btkadams

Shaneus said:
http://i37.tinypic.com/23wqqzl.jpg[IMG]

PS. $2800 seems like an awfully good price for all that gear. Was that all new and at mates rates or second hand? Would love to get a similar setup going at home as well but I need to get motivated to play with my 1000mk3's again before thinking about anything else :lol[/QUOTE]
i'm going to this at the end of the month. really stoked

[IMG]http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs218.snc4/39243_10150233522355291_28482485290_13898123_329811_n.jpg

Shaneus

Fucking nice! I could give or take Saturday but the Sunday lineup is fucking stellar. I'd give my right leg to see another set by Kissy Sell Out (at least, one that wasn't cut short by the fact that NYPC took forever to setup and pack up before him, cutting his 1.5hr set short by 30 mins. Cunts.). Would kill to see Vitalic, too.

I think overall you guys over in Europe are better off than us, though. We have a handful of really good concert tours whereas you guys do too, but you also have the luxury of an infinite amount of truly international DJ's being only an hour or twos flight away from a local venue. Here it's more like 16 :lol

Wes said:
For those interested, BBC Radio 1's live Ibiza party is tonight.

Listening to this really makes me want to go to Creamfields. Me and a freind have said all year we would go i go to book the tickets and he drops out :(

Still trying to get him to change his mind but the tickets are due to sell out soon

Mr Solo Dolo said:
Listening to this really makes me want to go to Creamfields. Me and a freind have said all year we would go i go to book the tickets and he drops out :(

Still trying to get him to change his mind but the tickets are due to sell out soon
I was supposed to be in Ibiza this year.Lets hear it for useless gits that drop out eh?

Davidion

btkadams said:
The press said he was in the hospital for exhaustion. Now its being said he OD'd?

:lol It's never "exhaustion".

Good look on that show btw, I do always get envious of UK festivals.

STG!

subrock said:
http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc59/tosubrock/39813_10150235780485131_660030130_13966985_1494068_n.jpg

$2800 later...

2x Tech 1200 mk2
rane ttm 57sl
akai LPD 8

Grats on the new setup! Personally, I wouldn't have the TTM-57 overlap onto the right Tech, that looks a little dangerously too close to the platter. Also, it's kind of tough to see but is that some kind of cloth underneath your setup? I'd just lay them flat on the table.

Enjoy playing with your new toys, you're going to love that setup (as it's quite similar to mine). Guessing Shure M44-7 needles? I have the TTM-56 and the mixer is a tank, the Techs naturally speak for themselves. :)

subrock

STG! said:
Grats on the new setup! Personally, I wouldn't have the TTM-57 overlap onto the right Tech, that looks a little dangerously too close to the platter. Also, it's kind of tough to see but is that some kind of cloth underneath your setup? I'd just lay them flat on the table.

Enjoy playing with your new toys, you're going to love that setup (as it's quite similar to mine). Guessing Shure M44-7 needles? I have the TTM-56 and the mixer is a tank, the Techs naturally speak for themselves. :)
that was taken right when I set it up the first time, I have since moved the mixer because it did exactly what you thought it'd do :D. the clotch was just an old table cloth on the table, I was so excited I forgot to move everything out of the way. I am indeed running m44-7s because they seem like the most universally praised and are relatively inexpensive.

just tried my hand at scratching last night and I suck obviously, but I have been getting a lot better with rocking my cues and dropping in on the beat. its a skill you definitely dont need to learn with midi controllers but is a good skill to have on turntables. hopefully just improving at scratching along with the beat will get me better at actual scratching.

btkadams

Davidion said:
:lol It's never "exhaustion".

Good look on that show btw, I do always get envious of UK festivals.
Thanks! Yeah I'm really excited. I've never been to an electronic music festival before, as I don't live near any.

Oh and sick setup subrock. I'm still waiting for a calgary show.

Fusebox

Banned
subrock said:
http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc59/tosubrock/39813_10150235780485131_660030130_13966985_1494068_n.jpg

$2800 later...

2x Tech 1200 mk2
rane ttm 57sl
akai LPD 8

Tidy rig man, imo you still can't beat 2 x 1200s and SSL. You need to ditch those treble-makers and buy some decent monitors though.

subrock

Fusebox said:
Tidy rig man, imo you still can't beat 2 x 1200s and SSL. You need to ditch those treble-makers and buy some decent monitors though.
I hear ya on the monitors. I do have some decent cans though (tee hee) so I can actually hear what I'm doing when listening to the master out. the monitors will come when I dont have 4 roommates, haha!

Rukes

The front page still gets no respect
Skiptastic said:
The last two times he's been to Chi town I've been unable to get up because of business or personal reasons. I know it's kind of whining (Indianapolis is a big city but we get nothing...NOTHING!), but one of these days, I'll make it up there to see him, I'm sure.

Just so you know, Deadmau5 is back at the Congress Theater in Chicago on October 22nd and 23rd. Dunno if we will do another thanksgiving feast request though, haha.

Top Bottom