• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official NeoGAF Groundbreaking Electronic Music Thread™

Yeah its a good mix thats for sure! few songs I need to track down. Also that John Digweed mix has the best remix of Azari and III "hungry for the power" Ive heard.

Shaneus

djtiesto said:
Have you heard Jody out yet? Awesome DJ, he plays such warm and melodic house, a big influence on myself... last time he was here though, it was the weekend after Electric Zoo, so needless to say I was a bit too tired to go :p
Can't say I have (I'm more going for Seaman and Taylor) but I definitely won't be avoiding his set. It's a small-room gig so I don't know whether that'll influence his set, but he's been around for a while so I have no doubt it'll be at least competent, if not excellent.

okno

Has anyone checked out the new Andy Stott?

I just got my hands on this EP and it is GLORIOUS. If you liked 'Passed Me By', you'll totally dig this. "Posers" is brutal and "Bad Wires" follows it so well. I'm really, really, really liking the new direction he's taking. It's really slinky, murky, sexy techno, and incredibly refreshing.

edit: "Cherry Eye" absolutely MURDERS.

edit 2: For those with a penchant for classic, deep, melodic house, check Octo Octa - Let Me See You. Seriously beautiful house music with a rich, classic house sound. This is a kind of detroit house music that I haven't heard in a while, very Orb-like. Amazing release. It's quite nice for those who are tired of the Chicago house renaissance.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So they always play EU dance shows on one of the electronica channels on XM and I always forget when they are on and catch them in the middle. I never remember to actually look them up online and listen to them on my own time though.

Finally remembered tonight as Trance Around the World was on XM on my way to my GFs. She's studying hardcore though so I was like what can I do. Then it clicked HEEEYYYY you brought your CR48 and your Grados in your backpack so why not try and find Trance Around the World and listen too it.

Signed up for the newsletter to because while I like electronica I know shit in terms of artist names and tracks and they'll e-mail you a weekly listening of the stuff played on the show for reference. Now I need to start listening to Armin's weekly radio show as well!

Not really sure how but Ive stumbled into Jamie Jones and have now spent the last day or so hunting down mixes he's done.
I think it was finding the mix of Hungry for the power by Azaria and iii on that John Digweed mix is done by him then just going from link to link on youtube.

Random tangent:
I find it really odd how people can keep the same music taste for years and years or not even really have one "just stuff on the Radio" and Im constantly searching and hearing more and more things. Hell my tastes today are diffrent from a month ago, which was diffrent than the month before that and so on!

joelseph

okno said:
edit 2: For those with a penchant for classic, deep, melodic house, check Octo Octa - Let Me See You. Seriously beautiful house music with a rich, classic house sound. This is a kind of detroit house music that I haven't heard in a while, very Orb-like. Amazing release. It's quite nice for those who are tired of the Chicago house renaissance.

I ordered a copy from 100% Silk and they sent me 3!

joelseph

Brettison said:
So they always play EU dance shows on one of the electronica channels on XM and I always forget when they are on and catch them in the middle. I never remember to actually look them up online and listen to them on my own time though.

Finally remembered tonight as Trance Around the World was on XM on my way to my GFs. She's studying hardcore though so I was like what can I do. Then it clicked HEEEYYYY you brought your CR48 and your Grados in your backpack so why not try and find Trance Around the World and listen too it.

Signed up for the newsletter to because while I like electronica I know shit in terms of artist names and tracks and they'll e-mail you a weekly listening of the stuff played on the show for reference. Now I need to start listening to Armin's weekly radio show as well!

Listen to Mary Anne Hobbs' show for a taste of UK Bass.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
okno said:
Has anyone checked out the new Andy Stott?

I just got my hands on this EP and it is GLORIOUS. If you liked 'Passed Me By', you'll totally dig this. "Posers" is brutal and "Bad Wires" follows it so well. I'm really, really, really liking the new direction he's taking. It's really slinky, murky, sexy techno, and incredibly refreshing.

edit: "Cherry Eye" absolutely MURDERS.

"Deep, melodic house" and "Orb-like"? It's like you lit up the batsignal for me... definitely gotta check this out!

okno

joelseph said:
I ordered a copy from 100% Silk and they sent me 3!
Haha, brilliant! This is one of those releases that makes me wish I could spin vinyl. I need a bigger apartment ;_;

okno

Gotta check out that Burial collab later, didn't even know it was happening!

I'm finally listening to Jamie XX's essential mix and MY GOD, it's extraordinary. I wish I could do the kinds of blends that he does, it's just incredible. He consistently manages to surprise me, the kid is a true visionary.

joelseph

SecretMoblin said:
This is incredible.

What's remarkable about the Burial collabs is that they really sound like true mixtures of styles -- you can definitely hear who contributed to various pieces of the song.

I feel like they always come out feeling like a Burial collab. Not knocking either end but it would be nice to hear something come out that is not "his sound"

joelseph

Lucky Me just dropped a metric ton of mixes on RSS, not sure if they have been up a while on the blog but always a good place to find great UK bass mixes.

joelseph

So boilerroom.tv is not up after last night's madness. I hope that means they are updating their site with the sets but it probably means everyone in the world is trying to hit it. I did manage to see Thom's set on Vimeo, typical non-dj set, total pass. Waiting patiently to hear or see Jamie XX vs Caribou, I think it was the last set of the night.

I scored a copy of Maurice Donovan's Call My Name. Limited white label vinyl release only, this fucker is a monster.

http://www.phonicarecords.com/product/view/101823

And my standout album of the day is fLako "Carving Away the Clay"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tkmav1UyGf

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
Hey guys. So I'm not sure if this type of electronic music belongs in this thread but I wanted to know what you guys thought. I've released my second electronic album which I poured A LOT into and I'd love to know what you guys think. It's available at bandcamp and iTunes. If you're into it, there's an official thread going. Hope to hear from you guys.

Alucrid

Banned
Sigh. I wish more of my friends were into this kind of music. SBTRKT is coming to Philly and I'd love to go but no one else wants to. :|

crispyben

So, how about that Enough Thunder EP from James Blake? I find myself in complete agreement with the Pitchfork review, in that it's not enough thunder and even too much cheese at times. And that goes for Biophilia and The Less You Know, the Better too, what a letdown these records are :(

Luomo's Plus is shaping up to be better than expected, but I'm still undecided on Joakim's Nothing Gold, The Field's Looping State of Mind and Walls' Coracle. Opinions on these?

joelseph

Alucrid said:
Sigh. I wish more of my friends were into this kind of music. SBTRKT is coming to Philly and I'd love to go but no one else wants to. :|

Mention that SBTRKT is working with Drake and that Drake might be there? I am sure that could get a couple hotties to roll with you!

joelseph

crispyben said:
So, how about that Enough Thunder EP from James Blake? I find myself in complete agreement with the Pitchfork review, in that it's not enough thunder and even too much cheese at times. And that goes for Biophilia and The Less You Know, the Better too, what a letdown these records are :(

Luomo's Plus is shaping up to be better than expected, but I'm still undecided on Joakim's Nothing Gold, The Field's Looping State of Mind and Walls' Coracle. Opinions on these?

The thunder is at the end of Not Long Now, the other stand out for me A Case of You. After seeing James and his band live I get him 100%. Thunder is still in heavy rotation for me.

Bjork and Shadow have fallen off. No opinion on the rest.

Alucrid

Banned
joelseph said:
Mention that SBTRKT is working with Drake and that Drake might be there? I am sure that could get a couple hotties to roll with you!

Everyone does love crippled kid from degrassi.

AcridMeat

Banned
Alucrid said:
Everyone does love crippled kid from degrassi.
We called him wheels.

Hopefully going to a Zedd/Felguk/Temple of Doom show later this month. I don't know who Temple of Doom is, but they're the headliner.

edit: This Mustard Pimp album is really good. Love the variety.

Shaneus

AcridMeat said:
We called him wheels.

Hopefully going to a Zedd/Felguk/Temple of Doom show later this month. I don't know who Temple of Doom is, but they're the headliner.
Zedd's kicking arse right now and I've always been a small fan of Felguk. My mate flogs the fuck out of his remix of Save the World chopped mid-way with Cazzette remix. Basically creates a 10 minute song full of absolute awesome.

AcridMeat

Banned
Had not heard the Cazzette remix, hot damn.

edit: I know I have the second song that plays on that link, but I can't remember what it's called.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Devolution said:

Other people will be able to help you more with the Magnetic Man/Mt Eden dubstep stuff, but for the trance I can make a bunch:

Tiesto - In Search Of Sunrise 3 (mix comp)
Above and Beyond - Tri State (album), Group Therapy (album)
Oceanlab - On A Good Day (Oceanlab is an Above and Beyond alias) - original mix but if you want something proggier, the 16 bit Lolitas mix is fantastic
Andain - Beautiful Things
Sasha - Xpander
Way out West - Mindcircus (Gabriel and Dresden mix)
Holden and Thompson - Nothing (93 Returning mix)
Tiesto - Suburban Train
Paul Van Dyk - For An Angel
Paul Van Dyk - Tell Me Why
Cosmic Gate - The Theme
Armin Van Buuren and Rank 1 - This World Is Watching Me
Armin Van Buuren - Song For The Ocean
Solar Stone - Seven Cities
Frost and Maron - Time Out
Filo and Peri - Anthem
Michael Cassette - Shadows Movement
Ferry Corsten - Fire (Flashover mix)
Veracocha - Carte Blanche
Gouryella - Walhalla
Atlantis - Fiji
Armin Van Buuren and Ferry Corsten - Brute
Tastexperience - Highlander
PPK - Resurrection
Arksun - Arisen
BT - Flaming June
BT - Godspeed
BT feat Jes - Everything
Morgan Page, BT, Sultan and Ned Shepard - In The Air

I can go on for a long while with this, listen to a few and tell me what you like/don't like and I can get even more specific...

djtiesto said:
Other people will be able to help you more with the Magnetic Man/Mt Eden dubstep stuff, but for the trance I can make a bunch:

Tiesto - In Search Of Sunrise 3 (mix comp)
Above and Beyond - Tri State (album), Group Therapy (album)
Oceanlab - On A Good Day (Oceanlab is an Above and Beyond alias) - original mix but if you want something proggier, the 16 bit Lolitas mix is fantastic
Andain - Beautiful Things
Sasha - Xpander
Way out West - Mindcircus (Gabriel and Dresden mix)
Holden and Thompson - Nothing (93 Returning mix)
Tiesto - Suburban Train
Paul Van Dyk - For An Angel
Paul Van Dyk - Tell Me Why
Cosmic Gate - The Theme
Armin Van Buuren and Rank 1 - This World Is Watching Me
Armin Van Buuren - Song For The Ocean
Solar Stone - Seven Cities
Frost and Maron - Time Out
Filo and Peri - Anthem
Michael Cassette - Shadows Movement
Ferry Corsten - Fire (Flashover mix)
Veracocha - Carte Blanche
Gouryella - Walhalla
Atlantis - Fiji
Armin Van Buuren and Ferry Corsten - Brute
Tastexperience - Highlander
PPK - Resurrection
Arksun - Arisen
BT - Flaming June
BT - Godspeed
BT feat Jes - Everything ? Every Other Way you mean?
Morgan Page, BT, Sultan and Ned Shepard - In The Air

I can go on for a long while with this, listen to a few and tell me what you like/don't like and I can get even more specific...

Holy shit awesome. (Getting some deja vu here too since I either owned or have heard several of these. Revisiting tracks years later is always nice though.)

Like 'em all but I bolded the ones I really enjoyed.

joelseph said:
I fucking love these guys and not just because they are from my city but because they are are on the up. Huge sounds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKpcgvhQgmM
Holy shit, this track is great, and it led me to their remix of Holy Other's Touch, which led me to a Holy Other remix of How To Dress Well's Suicide Dream 2. Afternoon made by these 3 songs. I love the cover art for the Supreme Cuts EP as well:
supreme-cuts-album-cover-trouble.jpg

Top Bottom