• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official NeoGAF Groundbreaking Electronic Music Thread™

Shaneus

No, it really isn't. I've seen several live sets ruined because of some bizarre need to go from a solid 128-130bpm to about 5, only because it's the "in" music right now.

I like your optimism, but seriously... dubstep and I will never, ever get along.

AcridMeat

Banned
Shaneus said:
No, it really isn't. I've seen several live sets ruined because of some bizarre need to go from a solid 128-130bpm to about 5, only because it's the "in" music right now.

I like your optimism, but seriously... dubstep and I will never, ever get along.

Again, I completely agree. You're still in the denial stage!
(I'm listening to that set I posted last page) When it's consistent it can be quite energy packed. I'll always prefer faster songs though. :)

Shaneus

I'm not denying anything!

Anyway, as somewhat of a cure for straight 4/4 and all this dubstep talk, I'm downloading an EM from Meat Katie in 2004... when he used to do breaks. Saw him a year or so ago and was bitterly disappointed when he played a pretty straightforward set :(

So its Friday and im bored so Ill attempt to get some disscusion going

Anyone have albums or mixtapes that remind them of awesome events or moment? If so post them up!

Decided to stick on some Pendulum to wake me up at work and song after song reminds me of Summer festivals and the journeys to and from them.

Pendulum - Witchcraft [HQ] this one most of all as I can picture the massive stage, sun going down and everything is golden tinged. Surround by friends all jumping around singing along with the massive crowd. Fun times :)

joelseph

Johnlenham said:

Anyone have albums or mixtapes that remind them of awesome events or moment? If so post them up!

Decided to stick on some Pendulum to wake me up at work and song after song reminds me of Summer festivals and the journeys to and from them.

Pendulum - Witchcraft [HQ] this one most of all as I can picture the massive stage, sun going down and everything is golden tinged. Surround by friends all jumping around singing along with the massive crowd. Fun times :)

WILHELM K - LIVE AT GET FREAKY 4 - Nov. 6, 1999 in Cleveland, Ohio
5 star Tech-House Mix - 6am Closing Set
1st generation tape rip at 192 kbps. Quality: Excellent

Thanks & Props To:
God, all the party kids,
and anyone who
supports underground
dance music.
peace -
Wilhelm K

In memory of Tre / Konfirmd Productions
Rest in Peace - You will be missed

SIDE: A - 45 min.
www.megaupload.com/?d=WMDQWOFQ

SIDE: B - 45 min.
www.megaupload.com/?d=I17CS4J7

For me this mixtape captures my rave days. I wasn't actually at the Ohio party but Wilhelm gave me the tape after a Chicago set at the Dalton and I remember being awestruck by the energy and track selection on the 3 hour drive home. It transports me back to the time of magic where you would cross multiple state lines and stay up for days at a time and dance.

daviyoung

Banned
Johnlenham said:

Oh man, too many. Not albums or mixtapes, but livesets.

Red Jerry @ Airtight, Crash 2001
Lucien Foort @ GCSSS 2002
Sasha and Digweed @ GCSSS 2002
Fatboy Slim @ Glastonbury 2005

Just need to track them down again, but I doubt the GCSSS ones are recorded.

joelseph

The other tape for me that I will never ever forget is Mixmag Presents Derrick Carter's Cosmic Disco. The way you memorize every line on your favorite rap albums I have every beat of every tracked ingrained in my memory from this one. From the chanting at the start to Walking on Shaky ground, this thing is a masterpiece. I have actually heard DJs do tribute mixes multiple times for this mix, truly a classic.

daviyoung said:
Oh man, too many. Not albums or mixtapes, but livesets.

Red Jerry @ Airtight, Crash 2001
Lucien Foort @ GCSSS 2002
Sasha and Digweed @ GCSSS 2002
Fatboy Slim @ Glastonbury 2005

Just need to track them down again, but I doubt the GCSSS ones are recorded.

I saw him there in 2010, it was wild as hell and kind of opened my eyes to what "real" clubbing could be like compared to the pretentious clubs I was used too.
Im hoping that Together night will be along the same lines :)

Maybe stuff that REALLY stands out?
Stardust-the music sound better with you = First job washing up with two guys starting out as DJ's

Ive got like 3 more hours of sweating alive at work and I wont get to hear my music booming loud for another three weeks (birthdays at "normal" clubs ughhh) so Im dying to hear some stuff new to me till fill the gap!

joelseph

Johnlenham said:
Ive got like 3 more hours of sweating alive at work and I wont get to hear my music booming loud for another three weeks (birthdays at "normal" clubs ughhh) so Im dying to hear some stuff new to me till fill the gap!

Listen to the Wilhelm K mix I posted. It is late 90s banging tech-house.

daviyoung

Banned
Johnlenham said:
Maybe stuff that REALLY stands out?
Stardust-the music sound better with you = First job washing up with two guys starting out as DJ's

Ha, as corny as it sounds it wasn't some huge face-melting club classic that remains at the top of my list, although first time I heard Audio Bullys - Real Life also sticks in my mind, which the DJ mixed into Atlantic Ocean - Waterfall.

My favourite musical moment was at NYE at a club called The Egg in King's Cross. In the first room was some dark house, I think Superchumbo was on. Second floor was 'old skool classics' and was full of acid house paraphernalia but we congregated in the third room, which was quite brightly lit and had this really cheery terrace vibe. The DJ was playing a mish-mash of house and funk, and then at the right moment this song hits and the place lights up in my head. My mind can't process it, it doesn't now that at this one moment, this one time the whole night, everything has clicked. A party was happening and I was rolling in the waves. The song? Smokey Robinson - Tears of a Clown. Yep, motown. Not trance, not techno, nothing remotely electronic and I was high as a kite. The only time I ever wanted to go give the DJ a massive hug and say 'thanks man, thanks', but I was still compus. I made do with random girl no.542 next to me.

That's what clubbing is to me, it's that one moment where the buildup of the night was worth it, where you know you'll be leaving with a huge smile on your face and you'll remember your mates' faces at that exact minute for the rest of your life. We live for that.

Anyway, new music:

Henry Saiz - La Marea

Prog lovers will lap this up.

daviyoung said:
snip

My favourite musical moment was at NYE at a club called The Egg in King's Cross.

Aha YES! Love it! Got a few moments like those stashed away for miserable days like out in a group of four and we all start lagging and go to sit down for abit.
We are chilling out for what I guess to be about five mins and then I hear the beginings of a song of in the distance.
No words are spoken as I just turn to my friend (who has turned to look at me at teh exact same time), we then grin at eachother, jump up and sprint like fuck to the floor and proceed to go nuts and all I can remember after the sprint is the look on the other persons face!
The other two people had no idea what the hell was going on on where we had even gone aha.

I would listen to that mix but bloody everything but youtube seems to be blocked at work Soundcloud and megaupload included :(

New Camo and Krooked Album based of all the previews ive heard is going to be awesome AND Demon souls this week aswell. Good week ahead!

okno

Howdy!

Sorry to inundate you guys with mixes, but I just made a mix that I'm really proud of and would like to share with you all! I was thinking about how lately I've been going through a massive techno phase, and how I needed to do something more groovy and, most importantly, house. I've also been spending a lot of my time practicing my blends and finessing that, and I feel this mix might be the tightest mix I've made yet (yes, I'm tooting my own horn, so sue me!) DJTiesto, Nyx, Joelseph, this is right up your respective alleys. Enjoy!

Sally Smoking Cigars
Kassem Mosse - Sleepworking (Non-Plus)
Omurah - Paranormal Symphony (Nu's Crooks Mix) (Kindisch)
Axel Boman - Brass Fanatic (Ourvision)
Jamie Ruz - This Is How We Roll! (Passion Fruit)
Tomas More - A+B (Items & Things)
L.B. Dub Corp. - Native Dub (Mote Evolver)
Mosca - Done Me Wrong (Numbers)
Kassem Mosse - Enoha (Non-Plus)
Jon Convex - Convexations (3024)
Roman Fluegel - Krautus (Dial)
Roman Fluegel - Rude Awakening (Dial)
Robert Hood - Dancer (M-Plant)
Axel Boman - Sell Your Soul (Ourvision)
The Godson + DJ Raybone - Nova 2 (Rush Hour)
Reman + Mile Caro - Rogue (Populette Remix) (Throne of Blood)
Scuba - Everywhere (Hotflush)
Marc Houle - Hitcherman (Magda's Hitcher Woman Remix) (M_nus)
Gugu - RockAByeBaby (DVA Music)

joelseph

Gonna give it a listen right now, thanks.

Can I ask a favor of anyone, could someone check out Jacques Greene's mix on Mixcloud for "Mary Anne Hobbs XFM show" and see if there is a download? Mixcloud is blocked here, thanks.

joelseph

I dislike Mixcloud and the fact that Mary Anne is putting all her good show mixes on there. Same goes for a recent SBTRKT mix also.

Davidion

joelseph said:
I dislike Mixcloud and the fact that Mary Anne is putting all her good show mixes on there. Same goes for a recent SBTRKT mix also.

Something like orbit downloader should be able to allow you to rip the sets.

joelseph

okno said:
Howdy!

Sorry to inundate you guys with mixes, but I just made a mix that I'm really proud of and would like to share with you all! I was thinking about how lately I've been going through a massive techno phase, and how I needed to do something more groovy and, most importantly, house. I've also been spending a lot of my time practicing my blends and finessing that, and I feel this mix might be the tightest mix I've made yet (yes, I'm tooting my own horn, so sue me!) DJTiesto, Nyx, Joelseph, this is right up your respective alleys. Enjoy!

Sally Smoking Cigars
Kassem Mosse - Sleepworking (Non-Plus)
Omurah - Paranormal Symphony (Nu's Crooks Mix) (Kindisch)
Axel Boman - Brass Fanatic (Ourvision)
Jamie Ruz - This Is How We Roll! (Passion Fruit)
Tomas More - A+B (Items & Things)
L.B. Dub Corp. - Native Dub (Mote Evolver)
Mosca - Done Me Wrong (Numbers)
Kassem Mosse - Enoha (Non-Plus)
Jon Convex - Convexations (3024)
Roman Fluegel - Krautus (Dial)
Roman Fluegel - Rude Awakening (Dial)
Robert Hood - Dancer (M-Plant)
Axel Boman - Sell Your Soul (Ourvision)
The Godson + DJ Raybone - Nova 2 (Rush Hour)
Reman + Mile Caro - Rogue (Populette Remix) (Throne of Blood)
Scuba - Everywhere (Hotflush)
Marc Houle - Hitcherman (Magda's Hitcher Woman Remix) (M_nus)
Gugu - RockAByeBaby (DVA Music)

Sick mix! That is not a vinyl copy of Done Me Wrong is it? I would give you 30 bucks plus shipping for it!! =)

Kid is so fucking hot right now, he just released a free album on twitter "5000 Followers" and has a another record coming out on 3024.

okno

joelseph said:
Sick mix! That is not a vinyl copy of Done Me Wrong is it? I would give you 30 bucks plus shipping for it!! =)

Kid is so fucking hot right now, he just released a free album on twitter "5000 Followers" and has a another record coming out on 3024.
Thanks, man! Got that Mosca off junodownloads, actually. Such a hot track! The vocal is so brutal. I need to get more stuff by him... Didn't really dig the b-side on that single. The music that is comIng out of the UK right now is mindboggling! I really love that Gugu track a lot, too. The mallet line is so infectious.

Ima check out that Jacques Greene mix you just talked about in a bit. He's pretty dope, don't know why I haven't bought more tracks by him!

Edit: 3024 is easily one of the hottest up-and-coming labels right now. Their latest batches of releases have all been INSANE!

joelseph

okno said:
Thanks, man! Got that Mosca off junodownloads, actually. Such a hot track! The vocal is so brutal. I need to get more stuff by him... Didn't really dig the b-side on that single. The music that is comIng out of the UK right now is mindboggling! I really love that Gugu track a lot, too. The mallet line is so infectious.

Ima check out that Jacques Greene mix you just talked about in a bit. He's pretty dope, don't know why I haven't bought more tracks by him!

Edit: 3024 is easily one of the hottest up-and-coming labels right now. Their latest batches of releases have all been INSANE!

3024, 100% SILK and Numbrs are all going super strong right now.

joelseph

Also new SanFran Label Frite Nite released a comp today:

"Out today is Surreal Estate (FTNT013), the debut album by rising San Francisco imprint, Frite Nite. A 17-track compilation set out to “usher in the next wave of underground Bass Music to fans across the US”, Surreal Estate is a collection of tribal-influenced spacey dance grooves, progressive footwork, modern electro funk, and UK-centric Dubstep rhythms, composed by an anticipated cast of North American producers, carefully selected and mixed by Ana Sia. Exploring the atmospheric and ethereal, yet bass-heavy, funky and playfully musical, the Surreal mix shows Ana Sia’s passion for music that works as well for the dance floor as it does the intimate listen. This exclusive collection contains bleeding-edge tracks from some of the finest production minds from both American coasts such as Sepalcure, Starkey, XI, Distal, Ghosts On Tape and DJG, as well as Ana Sia’s crew taking over the western front with artists like Salva, Eprom, (Media Contender’s own) Kuru & UFO!, B.Bravo, NastyNasty and Epcot." -mediacontender

Shaneus

This Friday night in Melbourne, AU:
Dave Seaman
Jody Wisternoff
Kasey Taylor

...for the relaunch (or anniversary or something) of Renaissance. Can't. Fucking. Wait.

joelseph

The Fat! Club Mix 026 - Capracara

http://soundcloud.com/fatrecords/the-fat-club-mix-026-capracara

Capracara ‘House Of Dolls’ forthcoming UTTU release - exclusive
DAT Project ‘O’ww Baby’ (Nervous)
The Rhythm Construction Co. ‘Don’t Blame Me’ (Nice N Ripe)
Joe T. Vannelli ‘Play With The Voice (Original JTV Dubby Mix)’ (Nervous)
Mosca ‘Done Me Wrong’ (Numbers)
DJ Assassin ‘A Face In The Crowd (Intellidred mix)’ (Cross Section)
DJ Assassin ‘Jammin Marvelous Obliviously Obvious’ (Cross Section)
Blawan ‘What You Do With What You Have’ (R&S)
Altered Natives ‘Friends & Lovers’ (Eye4Eye)
Fonda Rae ‘Living In Ecstasy (J.C.’s Ecstasy Dub)’ (Freetown Inc.)
Black Legend ‘You See The Trouble With Me’ (Vendetta)
Craig Loftis ‘Yes I’m Right (Power Plant Mix)’ (Rush Hour)
Farley Jackmaster Funk ‘Love Can’t Turn Around (Houseapella)’ (House Records)
Risqué Rythum Team ‘The Jacking Zone’ (Chicago Connection)
Capracara & LaTreece ‘Touch’ unreleased - exclusive
Jus Ed ‘SHIT’ (Underground Quality)
Oni Ayhun ‘Meets Shangaan Electro’ (Honest Jon’s)
CFCF ‘Cometrue’ (UNO NYC)

okno

That mix looks wild. That new Blawan track is weirrrrd, but it's pretty great if used correctly. I'll have to check this out later. New Oni Ayhun always gets a tingle in my pants.

Davidion

Aguirre said:

Deep house? I don't see why not.

Conversations on electronic music tends to be splintered here on NeoGAF. This thread leans towards the modern UK-centric progressive side/"hipper" of things; dubstep has its own thread; there's a downtempo thread that pops up every once in a while and most of the classic genres don't really have any kind of meaningful presence.

Davidion said:
Deep house? I don't see why not.

Conversations on electronic music tends to be splintered here on NeoGAF. This thread leans towards the modern UK-centric progressive side/"hipper" of things; dubstep has its own thread; there's a downtempo thread that pops up every once in a while and most of the classic genres don't really have any kind of meaningful presence.

Probably because there is maybe only ten or so people that post on a regular basis with a smattering of people that show up once in a blue moon haha

I listen to pretty much everythign that gets posted and have no problems listening to stuff completley new to me! The Dubstep thread is kind of cringe worthy I'll say that much.

joelseph

First off, this Radiohead remix collection is LONG, super long. Worth it for that alone.

Secondly, Blawan is a real monster. His remix is one of the few on the album that just don't give a fuck and you can feel it. Just when you think it will never return it falls into place. An outstanding balance between the original and his raw power. Probably my favorite track.

other stand outs for me was Prichards and Fakes remixes.

And here I thought it was all about Jamie, Caribou and SBTRKT.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Shaneus said:
This Friday night in Melbourne, AU:
Dave Seaman
Jody Wisternoff
Kasey Taylor

...for the relaunch (or anniversary or something) of Renaissance. Can't. Fucking. Wait.

Have you heard Jody out yet? Awesome DJ, he plays such warm and melodic house, a big influence on myself... last time he was here though, it was the weekend after Electric Zoo, so needless to say I was a bit too tired to go :p

Top Bottom