• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official NeoGAF Groundbreaking Electronic Music Thread™

Davidion

anyone know where i can get some recent breaks sets? last time i listened to anything new that was breaks/breaks-related was probably 2006. i have no idea what the scene/genre is like now and who the big players are. does zabiela still spin breaks?

Much of the breaks scene seems to have disintegrated, sorry to say. The bigger guys like Stanton and Plumps either moved on or aren't putting out very interesting stuff. Few, if anyone, are dedicated breaks DJs anymore, it seems.

Shaneus

Much of the breaks scene seems to have disintegrated, sorry to say. The bigger guys like Stanton and Plumps either moved on or aren't putting out very interesting stuff. Few, if anyone, are dedicated breaks DJs anymore, it seems.
Yeah, it does suck. I remember going to see Meat Katie a year or two ago at a festival and he did not play a single breaks track. I was absolutely crushed, because the sole reason I wanted to see him was because breaks had not been at all popular for some years and needed a fix.

Sad.

uk-0128-310449-front.jpg

Tickets purchased!

Also this looks amazing, I bet the Cd is the best part of £50 :(

The 100 Best Tracks of 2011 Download / 9 hours of music / Over 1.2GB Limited Edition Gift Card / Pre-Ordering Now / Limited Quantities

Bleep's annual summary of the best music of the year is now available to pre-order as a special gift package. The definitive round-up of the year in independent, alternative and electronic music - not constrained by style or genre.

The ultimate digital musical package and perfect gift for yourself or any serious music fan... A 100 track digital compilation available in 320 kbps MP3 or for the very first time - high quality FLAC format. Limited Edition Gift Card Package 100 tracks download code for either 320 kbps MP3 or FLAC / Clear foil embossed 90gsm card wallet / High Quality A3 Poster designed by GiveUpArt / Gift card shipping from 1st December... Release date: 25th December 00:00 GMT.

:/

guess i'll just keep listening to 7 year old mixes by hyper then.

Miroku

Bleep compilation should be good. I've been buying tons of music off there. .FLAC prices are very agreeable, way better than Beatport.

It's also super easy to re-download to my office PC.

Kraftwerk

I need your assistance. fellow Gaffers:

In this mix, at exactly 1:16:45 a track starts. One of the Commens says it is " TEMAZO" but i cant find which song it is. If someone could help me id it please :(

http://soundcloud.com/r_co/butane-live-blues-quito-ecuador-10-04-2010

Give it a minute to load, then go to 1:16:45 would really appreciate it.

For anyone who cant click/stream it for any reason;

Based on the comments the track is by TEMAZO ( Not 100% ) and has some lyrics:

Love

love

what were you thinking of

I think it is a black male singing(?)

Nyx

Love

love

what were you thinking of

I think it is a black male singing(?)

I always thought it was a pitched down female. ;)

It's one of those tracks that I would normally loathe (I usually hate singing vocals), but this is a guilty pleasure track I guess.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I'm honestly surprised at the huge representation of the minimal crowd on that list. The genre may have fallen out of favor with a lot of the music press, but so many of those guys are technical wizards. If you haven't had the chance to see Hawtin or Villalobos, jump on that as soon as you can.

I've seen Richie a few times but quite honestly I got bored of mnml relatively quickly. Plus I've always had a bias against it for becoming the genre that replaced progressive house. Ricardo for some reason won't play in the US, I think he has immigration issues or something.

anyone know where i can get some recent breaks sets? last time i listened to anything new that was breaks/breaks-related was probably 2006. i have no idea what the scene/genre is like now and who the big players are. does zabiela still spin breaks?

There are several DJs who still produce and play progressive breaks, like Aaron Aether and Fretwell, who might be worth checking out depending on how much you like the genre (it's my favorite breaks genre myself!)... and there's also DJ Icey who's playing the same Florida Breaks stuff he did back when I first started going to raves some 12+ years ago... he's got a mix show on Sirius XM Electric Area and you might be able to find those to d/l. It really seems that every breaks producer has either went full 4x4 or they went to dubstep :(

He played that Berns ID song??!!! there is hope that he will release it soon. BELIEEEVVVEEE

To be honest I was glad this was recorded was I can only remember the Depeche mode song and Pijano as a friend was shot away to the point she couldnt stand up right!

Shaneus

That totally triggered this tune off. So, so, so good:
Shiloh - Vice (Luke Chable remix)

Oh, wanna hear a cool story? One of my best mates is really close friends with Phil K. Apparently he's big O/S, but he just seems like a regular dude over here in Australia :)

Quite a few are house which is surprising.
Shit, really? Fuck. Now I'm even MORE out of the loop than I thought. House is my thing (sort of).

That totally triggered this tune off. So, so, so good:
Shiloh - Vice (Luke Chable remix)

Oh, wanna hear a cool story? One of my best mates is really close friends with Phil K. Apparently he's big O/S, but he just seems like a regular dude over here in Australia :)

Shit, really? Fuck. Now I'm even MORE out of the loop than I thought. House is my thing (sort of).

Im probably the worst judge of genre but my guesstimations

Above & Beyond (Trance?)
Beardyman (DnB)
Brookes Brothers (DnB)
Carl Craig (No idea)
Dimitri From Paris (No idea)
Eats Everything at In:Motion (house?)
Eric Prydz at Creamfields (House?)
Jamie XX (God knows what he falls into)
Joker (Dubstep)
Julio Bashmore (House)
Kaskade (No idea)
Maya Jane Coles (House)
Pete Tong 20 (?)
SBTRKT ( No idea what this falls into either)
Seth Troxler (house)

djtiesto

Oh man, took a listen to this and it's spectacular... god I hope he comes to NY one day :(

Rabbitwork said:
some (older) breaks fo' yo' face:

Terminalhead - Head Down
David West - Carrier
Bedrock - Forge (Fretwell Remix)
Bedrock - Emerald (Grayarea Remix)
Grayarea - Yewminyst

Ivory - Free the Beast (Breakfastaz Remix)
Shiloh - Mana
Freestylers - Boomblast (Deekline and Wizard Remix)
Stereo MCs - Set it Off (Deekline and Wizard Remix)

HELL YEAH! BTW Shaneus, the ones I bolded are perfect examples of progressive breaks. Luke Chable, Phil K, and Jono Fernandez as well. You ever hear Involver 1? Or disk 1 of Balance 006 Anthony Pappa? They're the definitive prog breaks mixes IMO.

Johnlenham: Kaskade is really popular here in the states but from what I know he's not that well-known outside of here. He plays poppy deep and electro house:
Haley - This Is How It Goes (Kaskade Club Mix)
Kaskade and Deadmau5 - I Remember (you don't know this one? :O)

Carl Craig is a Detroit techno artist, been in the biz since the early 90's... he's got some great stuff:
At Les
Beanfield - Tides (Carl Craig mix)
No More Words (from 1991!!!!!)
Dreamland

djtiesto

I'm looking for some more funky classic house tracks like Jaydee - Plastic Dreams. Any tips?

Alright, going through some mid 90's house... this music triggers the biggest nostalgic rush in me ever, since it's what I listened to right as soon as I got into EDM.

Nightcrawlers - Push The Feeling On
Duke - So In Love With You
Love Tribe - Stand Up
Laguna - Spiller From Rio
Barbara Tucker - Everybody Dance
Nu-yorican Soul - The Nervous Track
Reality - Yolanda
Harddrive - Deep Inside

also definitely go through the Strictly Rhythm back catalogue!

Antagon

Alright, going through some mid 90's house... this music triggers the biggest nostalgic rush in me ever, since it's what I listened to right as soon as I got into EDM.

Love Tribe - Stand Up
Reality - Yolanda
Harddrive - Deep Inside

Thanks! As a Dutch kid I listened to Gabba when I grew up and missed out on house. Wish there were still parties where they're spinning this, since the last few years you couldn't escape that dirty house crap.

Shaneus

Love Tribe - Stand Up
Reality - Yolanda
Harddrive - Deep Inside

You're a man after my own heart.

djtiesto

THIS TRACK HERE, UNNNNGGGH. Easily my favorite house track ever recorded.

Check out Trax records, too. Jackmaster Funk, Adonis, Mr. Lee, Robert Owens, Mr. Fingers, Phuture, Screamin' Rachael, and, of course, this killer hot jam.

I remember reading an old (1999) interview with the founder of Strictly, and he talked about growing up on Long Island and working at an aerospace company where he was involved with designing the Lunar Module, before leaving to form his own record label... so considering that's the same place where I work, I think my goal is now clear - start my own soon-to-be-legendary house music label :)

Here's another classic track with a classic game sample thrown in

Oh man, took a listen to this and it's spectacular... god I hope he comes to NY one day :(

Johnlenham: Kaskade is really popular here in the states but from what I know he's not that well-known outside of here. He plays poppy deep and electro house:
Haley - This Is How It Goes (Kaskade Club Mix)
Kaskade and Deadmau5 - I Remember (you don't know this one? :O)

Carl Craig is a Detroit techno artist, been in the biz since the early 90's... he's got some great stuff:
At Les
Beanfield - Tides (Carl Craig mix)
No More Words (from 1991!!!!!)
Dreamland

Ahha it was funny, I think my mates thought I was alittle nuts when I said
"oh there's this guy I talk with about music that would be jealous as fuck about tonight"
Hell the only reason I went in the end was because of you saying about wanting to see him live and a short video on youtube!

Ah ok, Yeah Ive heard of Kaskade but in my mind its a thirty something white woman, I dont really know why. Have heard that Deadmau5 song before thoughtand do kind of like it.
Maybe I should listen to his mix but I voted for JamieXX in the end

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
I've loved pretty much everything 100% Silk has released this year, but this Magic Touch 12" is an absolute blast.

http://soundcloud.com/magic_touch/sets/magic-touch-silk009/

Was CFCF's Night Bus II posted yet? I downloaded it a while ago and just listened to it.

CFCF and the Elite Gymnastics guys are super consistent quality-wise, and really nice dudes in general. It's kind of weird seeing them blow up over the past couple years after posting with them on Hipinion.

Alucrid

Banned
I've loved pretty much everything 100% Silk has released this year, but this Magic Touch 12" is an absolute blast.

CFCF and the Elite Gymnastics guys are super consistent quality-wise, and really nice dudes in general. It's kind of weird seeing them blow up over the past couple years after posting with them on Hipinion.

Hmm, thanks for reminding me about Elite Gymnastics. Haven't listened to anything of theirs since Gizzard Greens. Now to see what they've been up to for the past year or so.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Hmm, thanks for reminding me about Elite Gymnastics. Haven't listened to anything of theirs since Gizzard Greens. Now to see what they've been up to for the past year or so.

Yeah, definitely get up to speed. Their two Ruin discs from this year are unbelievable, and there's a third part coming up.

okno

CFCF was one of the funniest, coolest guys on there. I went back the other day and couldn't believe pretty much everyone is still there o_o

New RA podcast is up: Jackmaster It's a must-listen for everyone.

edit: I will do anything for a digital copy of that Faith Evans remix. That is sex, good god.

edit2: jozif has three remixes up for free, including a funky disco take on "Rolling In the Deep"

Nyx

As a Dutch kid I listened to Gabba when I grew up and missed out on house.

Between '94 and '98 the only music I listened, and the only parties I visited. (gabber/gabba/hardcore)

Let's list some classics ! :D

DJ Isaac - Bad Dreams
Guaranteed goosebumps whenever this was played. (when the Kate Bush sample hit)

The Stunned Guys - Beats Time

Chosen Few - Name of the DJ

DJ Macabre - Poltergeist

The French Connection - The French Connection

Pilldriver - Pitchhiker

If I would have listened to this tracks only recently I would call them all shit, but as I loved this back in the day, it's great nostalgia now.

I wouldn't last 5 minutes on a gabber-party now though...

Oh and for all you Americans, a vid of a gabber-party in 1996 : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kx7nA3ktWyg
And yes, there were lots of drugs.

Mind you, this was BIG in The Netherlands!

djtiesto

Between '94 and '98 the only music I listened, and the only parties I visited. (gabber/gabba/hardcore)

Let's list some classics ! :D

DJ Isaac - Bad Dreams
Guaranteed goosebumps whenever this was played. (when the Kate Bush sample hit)

The Stunned Guys - Beats Time

Chosen Few - Name of the DJ

DJ Macabre - Poltergeist

The French Connection - The French Connection

Pilldriver - Pitchhiker

If I would have listened to this tracks only recently I would call them all shit, but as I loved this back in the day, it's great nostalgia now.

I wouldn't last 5 minutes on a gabber-party now though...

Oh and for all you Americans, a vid of a gabber-party in 1996 : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kx7nA3ktWyg
And yes, there were lots of drugs.

Mind you, this was BIG in The Netherlands!

hahahahahaha - never was a fan of the stuff but so many big Dutch DJs (including Tiesto and Corsten) got their start with gabber. In America (especially NYC) we had our own version of gabber in the mid 90's, I used to be friends with the brother of Omar Santana, one of the most famous American gabber artists.

Top Bottom