• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official NeoGAF Groundbreaking Electronic Music Thread™

Nyx

A sea of bald white dudes on E. That dancing is hilarious. Also, when was the last time you ever saw a DJ with his t-shirt tucked into his pants?

Watched the vid a bit myself last night and noticed at least 8 people with whom I went to these parties, luckily I did not see myself haha. :D

hahahahahaha - never was a fan of the stuff but so many big Dutch DJs (including Tiesto and Corsten) got their start with gabber. In America (especially NYC) we had our own version of gabber in the mid 90's, I used to be friends with the brother of Omar Santana, one of the most famous American gabber artists.

Aye I knew Tiesto started out with this music, did not know about Corsten though.
I think Bart Skils also started out as a hardcore-DJ.

And I remember Omar Santana. :)

Hardstyle is very big over here as well, bigger than techno etc. for sure.

Woah when me and some friends went to Amsterdam for one of their birthdays, we went to a club called studio 80 (I think) and somehow ended up on a Hardcore Radio station and ended up hanging out with some of the DJ's until like 5am the next day. It was random as fuck but hardcore is just way to intense for me!

Nyx

Woah when me and some friends went to Amsterdam for one of their birthdays, we went to a club called studio 80 (I think) and somehow ended up on a Hardcore Radio station and ended up hanging out with some of the DJ's until like 5am the next day. It was random as fuck but hardcore is just way to intense for me!

Aye I know Studio 80, small, cosy, warm, and loads of dopeheads. :)

Any ''hard'' kind of music is too intense for me nowadays, I'd rather have something between 118-130 BPM, but not much more ! ;)

Aye I know Studio 80, small, cosy, warm, and loads of dopeheads. :)

Any ''hard'' kind of music is too intense for me nowadays, I'd rather have something between 118-130 BPM, but not much more ! ;)

haha It wasnt so bad as It was a wednesday evening. One of the Djs was like 18? ben doing it since he was 12. Friendly people to talk to anyway and a good laugh.

Boddika & Joy O - Mercy
1.55 onwards! Need to hear it on a massive sound system again :(

okno

haha It wasnt so bad as It was a wednesday evening. One of the Djs was like 18? ben doing it since he was 12. Friendly people to talk to anyway and a good laugh.

Boddika & Joy O - Mercy

Boddika and Joy O have several bloody fantastic songs that I'm aching to get my hands on! Everyone is praying they'll release "Froth", "Mercy", and "Swims" together all on one EP through Swamp81, but there has been absolutely nooooothing mentioned about any release. I'm starting to get a little irritated that Joy O is so secretive with his material, but that's also the allure of the man.

Have you listened to Jon Convex at all? He's Boddika's other half in Instra:mental, and he's pretty fantastic. His 'Convexations' single is brilliant, "Order and Chaos" slays.

Shaneus

Boddika & Joy O - Mercy
I like that track. Although (to me) it's almost an exact copy, at least with it's core elements, of this:
Yoshimoto - Du What U Du (H-Man remix)

I'd completely forgotten about that track. Almost worried I'd forgotten what it was called for a few seconds.

Bleep have all their 2011 Lists up (Label/Ep/Album/Artist/Mix)

Nice to see some of my favorite Eps of the year are in the top ten!
Artists (woo Rustie!)

Also really good for finding new artist I haven't heard of, or at-least "Ohh THAT song" type of moments

Merino

I have to say I found this year much much better for electronic album releases than last years. In 2010 I had maybe 14 albums that really grabbed me out of all the things I managed to listen to (which was quite alot).

This year there's easily 25 albums that I've very much enjoyed and still quite a few I haven't listened to.

If anyone's interested; my selections from 2010

okno

Bleep have all their 2011 Lists up (Label/Ep/Album/Artist/Mix)

Nice to see some of my favorite Eps of the year are in the top ten!
Artists (woo Rustie!)

Also really good for finding new artist I haven't heard of, or at-least "Ohh THAT song" type of moments

I just went there for my first time the other day and will definitely be giving them my money over Beatport from now on. Fantastic website.

Pretty late on this one but Im really liking the Radiohead album (TKOL RMX 1234567)
Never really been into Radiohead but the amount of awesome people involved made me check it out and I like it alot.

okno

I buy most of my music from boomkat and juno, check em out too!

Yeah, I go to both (Boomkat less so), but I need to step it up. I love Juno because they get a lot of exclusives before Beatport, but I've noticed that BP has recently been getting the leg-up over Juno in that regard. What I like about Juno is that they will offer an MP3 with a lot of vinyl purchases at no extra cost (even when the label doesn't), and I'm going to start buying vinyl here and there (starting with the Father Father/Faith disc from Boogie Futuro before it goes OOP). Boomkat's prices just aren't better than BP to warrant usage from me. Bleep has the cheapest prices of them all, but since it's a newer company the selection is smaller. With the trifecta of Bleep, Boom and Juno, I'll never need BP again.

joelseph

FACT mix 307: Ayshay (Fatima Al Qadiri)

FACT, like all magazines, has been known to make outlandish claims at times, but trust us when we say you won’t hear another mix like this any time soon.

Ayshay is the recording alias of Fatima Al Qadiri. Based in New York, but born in Senegal and raised in Kuwait (according to a recent Fader interview, she then lived in eight cities before settling in Brooklyn), her debut EP Warn-U, released on Tri Angle this Autumn, is one of 2011’s most unique and unsettling records.

Inspired by Sunni and Shiite Muslim worship songs, Warn-U is built 100% from Al Qadiri’s own voice, re-pitched and manipulated to mimic everything from century-old ghosts to Autotune chart pop. For those who’ve followed her Global.wav column (and, sometimes, accompanying mixtapes – check the Muslim Trance one once you’ve listened to her FACT mix) for DIS magazine, it’ll make a little more sense: mainstream Western pop and Muslim religion and culture are two key constants in Al Qadiri’s frame of reference, and the music she records as Ayshay (Arabic for “whatever”) absorbs and rethinks both. It’s also worth checking the excellent EP she recently released under her own name, Genre-Specific Xperience.

FACT mix 307 is subtitled Ayshay’s ‘Surrender’ mix, and is dedicated to the Fade to Mind crew (Kingdom, Mike Q, etc), Dave Quam, Azizaman and DJ Rashad and Spinn’s Ghettoteknitianz clique. That, combined with the rest of this introduction, might make you think you know what you’re getting into – traditional Muslim song, ballroom house and footwork. Trust us, that’s not even half of it.

No tracklisting

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
RA top 50 tracks of 2011

Interesting selection, and funny to see #1 is a 2step garage song... I guess I was 10 years ahead of my time :p Good song, it was the highlight of one of okno's mixes a few months back. My 2 favorite tracks on this list came in at #s 28 and 30... but there were a number of other great ones (the Scuba tracks, Mathew Jonson's "Learning To Fly", Steffi's "Your's", and the Todd Terje tracks)

50. Moodymanc - Black Paint (Larry Heard's After Dark Mix) [Tsuba]
49. Gesloten Cirkel - Yamagic [Moustache Techno]
48. Sneaker - You Think You Think [Uncanny Valley]
47. L.I.E.S. - Comeback Dust (Max D's Big Top Dustheads Mix) [Future Times]
46. Maurice Donovan - Babeh [SSSSS]
45. Legowelt - Sark Island Acid [L.I.E.S.]
44. Clockwork - It's You Again [Hot Creations]
43. Zomby - Natalia's Song [4AD]
42. Miguel Campbell - Something Special [Hot Creations]
41. M83 - Midnight City [Mute]
40. Morphosis - Too Far [Delsin]
39. Cassius - The Sound Of Violence (Franco Cinelli Remix) [Cassius]
38. SBTRKT - Ready Set Loop [Young Turks]
37. WhoMadeWho - Every Minute Alone (Tale Of Us Remix) [Life and Death]
36. Tropic of Cancer - A Color [Blackest Ever Black]
35. Floating Points - Myrtle Avenue [Eglo]
34. Eats Everything - Entrance Song [Pets Recordings]
33. Genius of Time - Houston We Have a Problem [Clone Royal Oak]
32. Dan Andrei - Trebuie Da, Prima Incercare [[a:rpia:r]]
31. Storm Queen - It Goes On [Environ]
30. Tiger & Woods - Gin Nation [Running Back]
29. Oliver $ - Doin' Ya Thang [Play It Down]
28. Maceo Plex - Can't Leave You [Crosstown Rebels]
27. Danny Daze feat. Louisahhh - Your Everything [Hot Creations]
26. Mathew Jonson - Learning to Fly [Minus]
25. Kassem Mosse - Untitled A1 [Workshop]
24. Osunlade - Envision (Ame Remix) [Innervisions]
23. Four Tet - Pyramid [Text]
22. Peverelist - Dance Til the Police Come [Hessle Audio]
21. Session Victim - Good Intentions [Retreat]
20. Objekt - CLK Recovery [Objekt]
19. Scuba - Adrenalin [Hotflush]
18. Benoit & Sergio - Principles [DFA]
17. Pangaea - Hex [Hemlock]
16. Mosca - Bax [Numbers]
15. Burial - Street Halo [Hyperdub]
14. Daphni - Ye Ye [Text Records]
13. Virgo Four - It's a Crime (Caribou Remix) [Rush Hour]
12. Benoit & Sergio - Walk & Talk [Visionquest]
11. Noir & Haze - Around (Solomun Vox Mix) [Noir Music]
10. Unknown Artist - Sicko Cell
09. Levon Vincent - Man Or Mistress
08. Martyn - Masks [Brainfeeder]
07. SCB - Loss [Aus Music]
06. Steffi feat. Virginia - Yours
05. Todd Terje - Ragysh
04. Todd Terje - Snooze 4 Love
03. Julio Bashmore - Battle For Middle You [PMR]
02. Omar-S - Here's Your Trance, Now Dance!! [FXHE]
01. Blawan - Getting Me Down [White Label]

okno

That is a solid, solid list! Really impressive, an I have to agree with a majority of the placement. Can't think of a time where I ever agreed so much with a top whatever list in my life!

Except for "Getting Me Down" being #1... It's an amazing song, but I'd place it lower in the top 10. Not sure what my #1 is... I'd also replace "it Goes On" with "Look Right Thru," but that's just me.

Ill Saint

FACT mix 307: Ayshay (Fatima Al Qadiri)

FACT, like all magazines, has been known to make outlandish claims at times, but trust us when we say you won’t hear another mix like this any time soon.

Ayshay is the recording alias of Fatima Al Qadiri. Based in New York, but born in Senegal and raised in Kuwait (according to a recent Fader interview, she then lived in eight cities before settling in Brooklyn), her debut EP Warn-U, released on Tri Angle this Autumn, is one of 2011’s most unique and unsettling records.

Inspired by Sunni and Shiite Muslim worship songs, Warn-U is built 100% from Al Qadiri’s own voice, re-pitched and manipulated to mimic everything from century-old ghosts to Autotune chart pop. For those who’ve followed her Global.wav column (and, sometimes, accompanying mixtapes – check the Muslim Trance one once you’ve listened to her FACT mix) for DIS magazine, it’ll make a little more sense: mainstream Western pop and Muslim religion and culture are two key constants in Al Qadiri’s frame of reference, and the music she records as Ayshay (Arabic for “whatever”) absorbs and rethinks both. It’s also worth checking the excellent EP she recently released under her own name, Genre-Specific Xperience.

FACT mix 307 is subtitled Ayshay’s ‘Surrender’ mix, and is dedicated to the Fade to Mind crew (Kingdom, Mike Q, etc), Dave Quam, Azizaman and DJ Rashad and Spinn’s Ghettoteknitianz clique. That, combined with the rest of this introduction, might make you think you know what you’re getting into – traditional Muslim song, ballroom house and footwork. Trust us, that’s not even half of it.

No tracklisting
Ayshay rocks. WARN-U and Genre-Specific Xperience were a highlight of the year. Great mix. She's done a lot of cool stuff in performances, writing and art.

Miroku

RA top 50 list is nice, I think I have more 'offically recognized' music in my collection than ever.

mnmlssgs is hosting a new Ancient Methods mix. It's pretty damn good, and the ridiculous write-up makes it that much better! No tracklist yet, but that will make things more surprising :)

http://mnmlssg.blogspot.com/2011/12/ssg-special-ancient-methods-some.html

Occasionally a mix comes along which re-defines what you think is possible within a style of music. In my view, what you are about to hear is that mix for techno in 2011. It makes almost everything ‘techno’ I’ve heard this year sound a bit lame, emaciated, and rote. In fact, it’s so powerful, I’m scared of it: I have to handle it with care, respect. As if my puny human arms can barely lift this warrior God hammer... indeed, it's many times more powerful than their previous mixes for us (ssg mx 26, handmade blend mix) building on their already unique style, which was aptly called 'pitch black techno war funk'. It's also more subtle: this mix totally hammers, but it never pummels or resorts to 'bangin' it out'. There's a beauty in the power, a swing in that hammer. It's martial, yes, but it's also very artful.

Most of the time, mixes are our accompanists: for commuting, for desk work, for the gym. Or perhaps, like the commercial '04 electrohouse fan who lived above me in Paris, for noisy lovemaking. Fine, we all need accompanists. I dare you to make love to this mix. On a third date. Or try commuting. This is not ‘another mix’, or your faithful servant. It demands you submit to it. It’s ssgs fourth birthday this week, so the original plan was to offer this mix to ourselves and you people as a gift... but I ended up having to offer myself to it, as a sacrifice, to bless the impending intergalactic warfare. If there’s a great big dancefloor in Valhalla (can you imagine the system?!), this is the music the warrior Gods dance to... both before they destroy their transdimensional demonic robot enemies, and in celebration when they have vanquished them.

After placing our hearts back in our chest cavity post sacrifice, we decided to offer the mix to Disk Union, who’ve agreed to make it the next in our ongoing series of collaborative CD-Rs.‘A Few Strings Attached’ is now all set to follow in the fine footsteps of other classic mixes by the artists we’ve been so proud to present over the past four years: Dozzy, Cio D'Or + Dozzy, Steffi, Peter van Hoesen, SCB and Marcel Fengler. If you’re in Tokyo over the next few months, don’t forget to keep an eye out for it. If you’re not, well then: here, my dear. For old fans and new converts, Ancient Methods also have a new EP, Ancient Methods 6, coming out in late January. If you haven’t let the five published so far bend and pierce your ears, you should.

Shamanic tradition teaches us of power animals; Ancient Methods’ power animal... is techno. Are you ready for full power? It's time to submit...

okno

That Ancient Methods mix sounds unreal. I can't wait to get home and listen to it! I haven't heard anyone talk like that about a techno mix in ages.

Shaneus

Anyone else here familiar with Louis La Roche's work? I've only just started listening to him after realising that several of his tracks were in a Phonat mix I downloaded from his Soundcloud. Even the older tracks sound fresh as hell.
Malfunction (probably my pick)
Super Soaker
Prick Stick
(the above three tracks are all on his first EP)
MJ - Thriller (LRL remix. Amazing.)
Teenage Bad Girl - Keep Up With You (Louis La Roche "Disco vs. Distortion" Remix) (Doesn't really kick until 1:20 (of a 3.5 min track!) but still, very well done)

2011 was a pretty meh year IMO. Then again I feel like (Electronic) Music is getting worse and worse. Lone's EP on R&S was great as usual. Plaid's Scintilli was very good as well, but probably needs to grow on me some more.

Then just earlier I came across Laurel Halo's Hour Logic EP.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jdw9wJ3Yxs0

^Fantastic tune to say the least. Going to purchase this off Bleep. It's good to see it has gotten some props (FACT Top 50), but it's sad to say that Detroit Techno influenced music is doomed to obscurity. So much great stuff out there (from years long past) that gets nowhere near the praise of today's crap.

Miroku

That Ancient Methods mix sounds unreal. I can't wait to get home and listen to it! I haven't heard anyone talk like that about a techno mix in ages.

How was it? :)

I'm inspired to get back to some heavier techno now. This whole year has been about exploring more detailed, atmospheric, minimalist techno and dubstep/bass/garage/experimental music. Headphone listening type stuff.
Now I've got a Beatport shopping cart full of Reeko, Sawf, Exium, Tommy Four Seven, Drumcode, James Ruskin, Inigo Kennedy, etc... and ready to rock.

The drop at 43:30 is godly, worthy of all the hype in that writeup. I already had a few tracks in there but looking forward to the full list.

okno

How was it? :)

I'm inspired to get back to some heavier techno now. This whole year has been about exploring more detailed, atmospheric, minimalist techno and dubstep/bass/garage/experimental music. Headphone listening type stuff.
Now I've got a Beatport shopping cart full of Reeko, Sawf, Exium, Tommy Four Seven, Drumcode, James Ruskin, Inigo Kennedy, etc... and ready to rock.

The drop at 43:30 is godly, worthy of all the hype in that writeup. I already had a few tracks in there but looking forward to the full list.

I'm 10 minutes in and this goes beyond any expectations I had for this. Such an amazing sound and their technique is flawless. This is the exact thing I've been looking for lately, I'm phasing back into techno for the winter. Can't wait to see the track list on this.

edit: You were not kidding about that drop :O

Alucrid

Banned
Anyone else here familiar with Louis La Roche's work? I've only just started listening to him after realising that several of his tracks were in a Phonat mix I downloaded from his Soundcloud. Even the older tracks sound fresh as hell.
Malfunction (probably my pick)
Super Soaker
Prick Stick
(the above three tracks are all on his first EP)
MJ - Thriller (LRL remix. Amazing.)
Teenage Bad Girl - Keep Up With You (Louis La Roche "Disco vs. Distortion" Remix) (Doesn't really kick until 1:20 (of a 3.5 min track!) but still, very well done)

Love. The only one I know of.

Kraftwerk

The first time I heard the "krrkkrkrkrkrrr" crackling explosion at 1:35...my god (Must have head-phones on)

Celestialis

wLZku.jpg

Ill Saint

Why do we need headphones?

Not that Youtube does DeepChord's production any justice in the first place, but their music is quite detailed and dense. They use vintage analogue equipment and to get the most out of their music good headphones or sound system is ideal.

Kraftwerk

I'm sure my speakers do as good of a job. :p

They could :) Just that I have listened to Deepchord at my friends music store, where he has studio level equipment, and for me headphones give it that extra indescribable feeling. Intimacy and oneness with the music I guess.

I just love Deepchord so, so much.

This track for example. Same magnificent tone throughout...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skCcgSzvHs0

....BUT one anomaly exists. One sudden change of tone at 4:42. The first time I heard it I was not sure if it actually happened. I was very high. I put the section from 4:35 to 4:45 on loop. I listened to the same loop for hours. No joke. It just blew my mind. How he has randomly chosen this instant to change the whole structure, only for a moment? Why did he do it?

So many questions.

Also, the analog tones...How do you describe them to someone? For example. when you heard a rock song, and you tell your friend about it; you can humm the riff, the guitar solo, bang on the table to imitate the drums etc...

.....BUT how do you describe this Deepchord track to them? Cannot make the sound. It is some steel factory, where men are crafting machines of immense size? or is it the song of some other civilisation in another galaxy?

So many questions.

"breathes"

sorry about that :) Music just makes me act in a different way..

Then just earlier I came across Laurel Halo's Hour Logic EP.
great tune, but if i was going to pick anything from that EP to highlight it would be:

laurel halo - constant index

which puts off weird early 2000s digital witchcraft/prog breaks vibes.

The first time I heard the "krrkkrkrkrkrrr" crackling explosion at 1:35...my god (Must have head-phones on)

Celestialis

wLZku.jpg
prrrrrrrrrrrrrobably a stupid question, but are you familiar with either:

Global Communication - 8:07

Carbon Based Lifeforms - Photosynthesis

the track you posted immediately reminded me of both those acts.

okno

Echospace is one of the most sonically profound dub techno albums yet produced. Four years old and it still sounds so fresh and unique. DeepChord <3 Modern Love <3

On the flip-side, Octo Octa's debut LP is out and it's a stormer! Octo Octa - Rough, Rugged, and Raw (100% Silk) If you enjoyed his 'Let Me See You' EP (how couldn't you?), you'll definitely dig this. It has a firm foot in the past, a fantastically intricate vintage analogue sound pervades the album, but is constantly moving forward so it doesn't sound dated in the slightest bit. You'll hear bits and pieces of The Orb, Carbon Based Lifeforms, Carl Craig, Jeff Mills, Theo Parrish, Levon Vincent, small little glimmers of the heroes of the past, but they're nothing more than allusions and don't ever feel like he's stealing ideas. Highlights for me are "Shower Nights (Second Chance Mix)," "Memories," "Blush (House Mix)," and "This Day." The best part about the album, for me, is the lush progressive house productions that shine brightly at critical moments throughout, beginning with the gorgeous thumper, "Memories." Definitely check this out.

Kraftwerk

Echospace is one of the most sonically profound dub techno albums yet produced. Four years old and it still sounds so fresh and unique. DeepChord is als Modern Love <3

On the flip-side, Octo Octa's debut LP is out and it's a stormer! Octo Octa - Rough, Rugged, and Raw (100% Silk) If you enjoyed his 'Let Me See You' EP (how couldn't you?), you'll definitely dig this. It has a firm foot in the past, a fantastically intricate vintage analogue sound pervades the album, but is constantly moving forward so it doesn't sound dated in the slightest bit. You'll hear bits and pieces of The Orb, Carbon Based Lifeforms, Carl Craig, Jeff Mills, Theo Parrish, Levon Vincent, small little glimmers of the heroes of the past, but they're nothing more than allusions and don't ever feel like he's stealing ideas. Highlights for me are "Shower Nights (Second Chance Mix)," "Memories," "Blush (House Mix)," and "This Day." The best part about the album, for me, is the lush progressive house productions that shine brightly at critical moments throughout, beginning with the gorgeous thumper, "Memories." Definitely check this out.

Indeed :)

Forced Nature and Memories are now some of my all-time favorites. Few tracks have become my favorites in such a small time-span. The transition in Forced Nature is so good.

Top Bottom