• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official NeoGAF Groundbreaking Electronic Music Thread™

I was expecting something not so great but colour me surprised. Second play through so I guess thats that!
Kind of reminds me of a less vocal The Weeknd for some reason.

Kraftwerk

That is a great song. The whole compilation (Artificial Intelligence II) is a stone cold classic. If you haven't heard Volume 1 or 2 I highly recommend checking them out. This is personally my favorite from both compilations.

Indeed. One of the greatest album series to grace my life.

Since we are talking about old school stuff...

I was just watching this live performance:

Jean Michel Jarre - Equinoxe IV

I just love how he is surrounded by all this equipment, multi-tasking like a madman. Pure talent. Glorious hair too <3

Indeed. One of the greatest album series to grace my life.

Since we are talking about old school stuff...

I was just watching this live performance:

Jean Michel Jarre - Equinoxe IV

I just love how he is surrounded by all this equipment, multi-tasking like a madman. Pure talent. Glorious hair too <3

That dude is something else. He's a wizard up there, no doubt about it.

I came across this a couple of years ago and was impressed by his rendition of an old classic. Not quite the same equipment (notably a 606 instead of an 808), but sounds pretty close.

Not sure if you happened across the sidebar links on that Reality Net video, but Atypic - Otaku would be right up your alley.

Also, you might be interested in checking out a very obscure artist of that time period (AI2) by the name of Nuron/Fugue. Pretty sure all of his songs are up on youtube (all 12 of them!)

Really under the radar this Nurmad Jusat. Very emotive stuff though:
Contrapoint
Earthfall (remix)

Kraftwerk

That dude is something else. He's a wizard up there, no doubt about it.

I came across this a couple of years ago and was impressed by his rendition of an old classic. Not quite the same equipment (notably a 606 instead of an 808), but sounds pretty close.

Not sure if you happened across the sidebar links on that Reality Net video, but Atypic - Otaku would be right up your alley.

Also, you might be interested in checking out a very obscure artist of that time period (AI2) by the name of Nuron/Fugue. Pretty sure all of his songs are up on youtube (all 12 of them!)

Really under the radar this Nurmad Jusat. Very emotive stuff though:
Contrapoint
Earthfall (remix)

Thank you for the links. Some great stuff in there.

Shaneus

Shaneus

No probs! It's awesome for either triggering trains of thought or occasionally reminding you about older tracks. Tracks that were getting released when I was a 1-year-old :/
Edit: I had no idea (courtesy of that bot) that Cuba Gooding (Sr.) was a pretty decent singer. Happiness is Just Around the Corner is ridiculously hot shit. And when you think it's winding up, it just keeps going! That's how you make a dancefloor killer.

Also, this totally just happened:
6iiZe.png

It helps if you know that Mark Pember is Meat Katie AND I don't follow him on Twitter. So he was searching for his name, found that tweet and decided to retweet it. Very weird.

joelseph

Mixes for Monday Let me know if you need any google assistance or reups.

Jim-E_Stack--Sonic_Router_Mix_115

Folie Douce Mix - Zora Jones

Essential Mix - The 2 Bears 21.01.12

Pelican Fly Party #2 Promo Mix (Prince Jeans)

Alucrid

Banned
Mixes for Monday Let me know if you need any google assistance or reups.

Jim-E_Stack--Sonic_Router_Mix_115

Folie Douce Mix - Zora Jones

Essential Mix - The 2 Bears 21.01.12

Pelican Fly Party #2 Promo Mix (Prince Jeans)

These two Pelican mixes have been fucking incredible.

okno

Can someone please point me in the right direction of some stuff that's similar to this one?

Scuba - Adrenalin

Octo Octa - Rough, Rugged and Raw Everyone needs this album.

Has anyone peeped the new modular Behringer DJ line-up coming out in a few months? Looks absolutely stunning, and I can't wait to get my hands on the MM-1 along with two PL-1s and a DVS-1 :D Behringer Is Back With 7 New Controllers

Nice pick up, joelseph. SXLND has been on repeat for me lately. I grabbed these juicy cuts today:
Lucky & Easy - Pimp Soul Blaster
Instra:mental - Forbidden ("Leave It All Behind" is an ace track)
Joe - Claptrap
Polarius - Talking Smack (This is a fantastic LP of revivalist acid-house. Amazingly fresh productions)
Lucky & Easy - Talent Hoover (HIGHLY recommended if you're into BoC, Four Tet, Squarepusher and the like)

Stopped myself there. I've been drugged up on dayquil, so I didn't want to go nuts and buy everything I put into my cart.

edit: forgot this a-mazing Scuba rework I stumbled upon today! Way Out West - One Bright Night (Scuba's Broken Window Dub) This is an absolutely bruuuutal track, and when it gets going it doesn't let go. Not for everyone and not to be taken lightly, this one definitely needs the right crowd and moment for maximum effect.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Hm, not sure how I missed the Blondes mix for FACT last week.

http://soundcloud.com/factmag/fact-mix-312-blondes-jan-12/s-x8mNK

Blondes - Untitled – Unreleased
Henning Baer – In Transit – K209
Love Inc – R.E.S.P.E.C.T. (Mike Ink Remix) – Force Inc Music Works
Blondes - Water (Bicep Remix) – RVNG
Levon Vincent – Impression Of A Rainstorm – Novel Sound
Ron Hardy – Crazy Hardy Edit – Unreleased CDr
Taragana Pyjarama – Ocean (Teengirl Fantasy Remix) – Fool House
Blondes - Water – RVNG
Peter Van Hoesen – Axis Mundi – Ostgut Ton
Blondes - Business (Alternate Version) – Unreleased
Sandwell District – Hunting Lodge (Live) – Sandwell District
Marvin Dash – B1, Workshop 14 – Workshop

Some pretty slick tracks on this Reconnected 01 mix, too:

Lucy And Xhin - LX2
Tommy Four Seven - Snout (Chris Liebing Remix)
Emptyset - Avichi (Monoloc Remix)
Black Asteroid - Engine 1 (Dave Clarke And Mr. Jones Unsubscribe Remix)
Tommy Four Seven - Armed 3
Tommy Four Seven - CH4 (Speedy J Remix)
Traversable Wormhole - Closed Timelike Curve (Marcel Dettmann Remix)
Emptyset - Altogether Lost (Ben Klocks Glowing Clap Mix)
Black Asteroid - Engine 1 (Brian Sanhaji Remix (Another Version))
Traversable Wormhole - Exotic Matter (Terence Fixmer Remix)
Tommy Four Seven - Ratu (Monoloc Remix)
Traversable Wormhole - Exiting The Milkyway (Surgeon Remix)
Perc - Antifunk
Tommy Four Seven - Verge (DJ Emerson Remix)
Emptyset - Altogether Lost (Rippertons Underground Kingdom Mix)
Tommy Four Seven - Armed 3 (DJ Emerson Remix)

joelseph

Speaking of the best diy edm labels, Coral just put out Splash EP #5, Kurtis Vodka and Unknown. Such a treat!

http://coralrecords.bandcamp.com/

I had all their limited CDRs but gave them to my lil Cousin who is trying to make it in the production game out in Kansas City, where the label is based.

okno

Some pretty slick tracks on this Reconnected 01 mix, too:

Definitely a solid mix, but I was hoping for something unexpected to pop up on it. I'm starting to get a little tired of CLR, they're beginning to remind me entirely too much of Drumcode...

Definitely snag this mix if you haven't, yet. Inertia//Resisting Routine mixed by Delta Funktionen & Marsel Delsin
01. Sascha Rydell - Rainy Days
02. Sawlin - Excipidial
03. Ozka - Square Beauty
04. Cosmin TRG - Plaisir Interdit
05. Skudge - Pollution
06. Marcelus - 24-7
07. Peter van Hoesen - Last One At 1080
08. Conforce - When It Appeared
09. Lucy - Wytonia
10. Sigha - Finding Myself
11. Redshape - Static
12. Area Forty_One - C.N.T.C.T.
13. Roman Lindau - Borne
14. Mike Dehnert - Pneumatic
15. Milton Bradley - Sequence #1
16. Delta Funktionen - Torpor

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Can someone please point me in the right direction of some stuff that's similar to this one?

Scuba - Adrenalin

This is kind of a tough one, "Adrenaline" has a sound very reminiscent in my ears to mid 90's progressive/epic house like Sasha used to play.. I'd definitely check out the following CDs:

Sasha presents Never Say Never (Mixmag cover CD)
Sasha - Involver 1
Sasha and Digweed - Renaissance: The Mix Collection

and also anything by Spooky (Charlie May)

okno

Hey guys, wanted to share this with y'all. I played at an after party the other day, at 6AM. I'm uber proud of this, as it was 1) my first after party gig and 2)it's just a fun ass mix. Hope you enjoy!

v1tcn.jpg

Knickebein

Moomin - Doobies
Jazzanova - Look What You're Doin' to Me (Motor City Drum Ensemble Remix)
Virgo Four - It's A Crime (Caribou Mix)
Jared Wilson - Detroit Tracks 7.5
Machinedrum - DDD
Midland - Through Motion (Tevo Howard Remix)
Julio Bashmore - Ask Yourself (Midland Remix)
Blawan - Peaches
George Fitzgerald - Feel Like
Martyn - Ghost People
Deadbeat - Leviathan
West Norwood Cassette Library - Get Lifted
Jichael Mackson - GTI (Zimbabwe Mix)
Addison Groove - Its Got Me
Joe - Twice
Boddika - Boddika's House
Gil-Scott Heron & Jamie XX - I'll Take Care of You

Halfway through the Bag Raiders January mix and I've felt compelled to track down every single track I've heard so far.

artworks-000016880738-qb2zu3-original.jpg

Bag Raiders January mix
Tracklist:
More – Nils Frahm
Baby I Got It – Miguel Campbell
I Can’t Sleep At Night – Daniel Bortz
U Got Me – Lee Foss
Tobago – Jonas Rathsman
Akabu – Life Is So Strange
Rock Me – Russ Yallop
Want You In My Soul (Hot Toddy dub) – Lovebirds
See Blind Through (Mic Newman remix) – Canyons
Love In Me (Maceo Plex remix) – Laura Jones
Mhm, Yeah Yeah – Lazaro Casanova
Home (Tim Green Remix) – M.A.N.D.Y. vs. Booka Shade
Snooze 4 Love – Todd Terje
Nightwish – BS1
Space Ballad (TEED Remix) – Fur Coat
Better (Arto Mwambe Remix) – Viadrina
Hurting (Tensnake Dub Remix) – Friendly Fires
Get Together – Rene Amesz
Whipped Cream – Homework

djtiesto

^ Looks HOT. Lovebirds, Tim Green, Hurting (Tensnake mix) and the Maceo Plex remix of Love In Me... so up my alley.

Hey guys, wanted to share this with y'all. I played at an after party the other day, at 6AM. I'm uber proud of this, as it was 1) my first after party gig and 2)it's just a fun ass mix. Hope you enjoy!

Knickebein

This is distracting me from doing work! Probably my fith listen since you posted it aswell!

Shaneus

Just arrived back from a neat little soiree in Melbourne on one of the piers at Docklands for Australia Day. Dead-set perfect weather, surprisingly good sound system, non-fuckhead crowd (which is a rarity for most Melbourne events) and really nice venue:
EVE201112151615005566.jpg

Kaz James was not seen (though I couldn't give a shit), Rogerseventytwo was quite good, Nadastrom were fucking woeful in changing the vibe from cruisy house to wubwubairraidsirenwubwubwub, Derrick Carter smaaaashed it (not by banging it, but by playing dead-set quality house tunes), Sandro Silva was a pleasant surprise (had not heard of him prior), Bart B More was boring as shit (same old fucking electro bangers, ugh) and Laidback Luke played near-perfectly programmed set and played to the crowd exceptionally well.

The weather was fucking off the charts awesome, too:
hmMjq.jpg

Bonus photo:
mFVyJ.jpg

Katamariii!

Satoho

Banned

Amazing, Thanks...

Sabotage - Who Am I? (At All Mix)
http://www.zshare.net/audio/53140779832ba37d/

BEAUTIFUL track, and very unique vocals.

Hope people are liking all this? Let me know the stuff that goes down well, and I'll get more stuff similar to it up on here.

ENJOI! \(^_^)/

Link doesn't work >_< Can't even find on Google :( so I never got to hear this song...

Shaneus

Glad you enjoyed Derrick. Chitown represent!
Yeah man, was a great set and he did a superb job of pulling it back from the abomination of Nadastrom to his brand of smooth house within two or three tracks.

Newer DJs are fine, but there's just something about the bankability of mainstays that I love. You always know you'll get a solid playlist, if not an interesting one. 30 years of experience coming through!

Shaneus

Man, that's just on a whole other level. I was only 13 at the time the track you mentioned came out but I always imagined this sort of music was the stuff played at raves around then. Maybe I'm partially right in that what I've linked was played in Australian raves because I cannot for the life of me picture Phylyps Trak being played anywhere here around that time! Far, far too intense.

Ha I would have been 6! But it does sound familiar, I guess if it was slowed down it might even sound like something from now rather than 18 odd years ago!

djtiesto

Man, that's just on a whole other level. I was only 13 at the time the track you mentioned came out but I always imagined this sort of music was the stuff played at raves around then. Maybe I'm partially right in that what I've linked was played in Australian raves because I cannot for the life of me picture Phylyps Trak being played anywhere here around that time! Far, far too intense.

I was 11 and I don't even think I knew what a 'rave' was back in '93. I do remember hearing the terms 'techno' and 'rave' for the first time via EGM, when they talked about the Mortal Kombat commercial with the song I loved :p

Though LI/Brooklyn/NYC had a small rave scene back in the mid 90's, thanks to Frankie Bones and some others (Frankie was also the first big name DJ I've ever seen, but when I was 17). It's funny how I was talking to a slightly older coworker of mine who told me he used to go to these parties all the time as a kid... this guy being a very conservative, clean cut engineer type no less!

Although, I was always under the impression that Basic Channel wasn't really very widespread or popular back during their day, it was only much later where their songs were revered (especially with the rise in 'mnml' in the mid 2000's). In a discussion about RA and how they pretty much ignore progressive house and trance, someone said "RA pretends that everybody in the 90's grew up listening to rare Basic Channel B-sides, but they were really boshing their faces off to Oakenfold and Sasha".

Top Bottom