• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official NeoGAF Groundbreaking Electronic Music Thread™

Ill Saint

Although, I was always under the impression that Basic Channel wasn't really very widespread or popular back during their day, it was only much later where their songs were revered (especially with the rise in 'mnml' in the mid 2000's). In a discussion about RA and how they pretty much ignore progressive house and trance, someone said "RA pretends that everybody in the 90's grew up listening to rare Basic Channel B-sides, but they were really boshing their faces off to Oakenfold and Sasha".

This is totally wrong of course. Basic Channel had such a profound influence during their heyday (and onwards) that it's quite difficult to overstate.They blew open the notion of what was possible in techno production through utilisation of dub-style production techniques. They also had a massive effect on Detroit and helped establish the Berlin-Detroit axis. They were a big, big deal, and anyone who was keeping tabs on techno at the time would have felt the shockwave and heard the music. One could go on all day listing off the artists they've inspired. There is no such thing as a "rare Basic Channel B-Side" anyway.

I never really understood why BC were later lumped with minimal, either. I think it was Philip Sherburne who'd been pushing that line, but I can't agree. Minimal, when it first really made its presence in techno, was all about Robert Hood's Minimal Nation, and to a degree Richie Hawtin's Plastikman releases. The later mnml stuff was a fad 10 years too late. BC's sound was too rich and dense to my ears to be minimal.

Kraftwerk

This is totally wrong of course. Basic Channel had such a profound influence during their heyday (and onwards) that it's quite difficult to overstate.They blew open the notion of what was possible in techno production through utilisation of dub-style production techniques. They also had a massive effect on Detroit and helped establish the Berlin-Detroit axis. They were a big, big deal, and anyone who was keeping tabs on techno at the time would have felt the shockwave and heard the music. One could go on all day listing off the artists they've inspired. There is no such thing as a "rare Basic Channel B-Side" anyway.

I never really understood why BC were later lumped with minimal, either. I think it was Philip Sherburne who'd been pushing that line, but I can't agree. Minimal, when it first really made its presence in techno, was all about Robert Hood's Minimal Nation, and to a degree Richie Hawtin's Plastikman releases. The later mnml stuff was a fad 10 years too late. BC's sound was too rich and dense to my ears to be minimal.

In honor of your excellent post, here is some more BC!

Octagon

Quadrant Dub

Axis

Some Maurizio "wink wink"

The "M" Series is the work of God.....

M-4.5

M06a1

M-5

M-4

Ill Saint

Anything Mark and Moritz touch is pure gold. Aside from BC and Maurizio, Rhythm & sound deserve a huge mention and must not be missed. The Main Street Records stuff as well... Round One - Round Five, which is a wonderful journey that demonstrates the movement from classic House to the deepest Dub.

They both have a tremendously rich discography that is really worth exploring. Some of their best individual work has been in the last few years.

Alucrid

Banned
So I complied a list of artists whose shit I need to buy as opposed to subsisting off free downloads and mixes. Any additional suggestions?

xxxy
koreless
jamie XX
kingdom
dubbel dutch
lol boys
hackman
fantastic mr fox
sbtrkt
sepalcure
machinedrum
two inch punch
blawan
brenmar
prince jean
NGUZUNGUZU
cedaa

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say

I was just really re-stating what transpired during our discussion on an EDM message board I post to... back in the day I didn't really follow techno (it's still not really my genre of choice), all I remember is when I saw the magazines, the club bookings, etc, everyone was talking about disco house, progressive house, tribal (at least here in NY) and later trance. Not so much techno (though the scene still had its followers). Of course dance music was much more regional back in the day too. I'm not denying Basic Channel's influence at all, but I'd also say that techno right now is a lot more popular and well known than it was back in the day.

Yeah I remember Phillip Sherburne pushing the hell out of minimal, it's kinda ironic that nowadays he's writing articles on Deadmau5 and shit.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Cool stuff for today:

Machinedrum + Om Unit = Dream Continuum. The snippets are O__O

John Talabot, "When the Past Was Present"

Elite Gymnastics, "Here In Heaven 4 & 5" (CFCF remix) A chunk of Ruin 3 leaked last week (none of the new material, just remixes) and this was definitely one of the highlights. Nightbus lives on!

Really enjoying this:
John Roberts - Glass Eights

Really nice album that seemed to have gotten mostly overlooked shortly after it came out. Dude's music hits a lot of my sweet spots simultaneously.

DireStr8s

Anything Mark and Moritz touch is pure gold. Aside from BC and Maurizio, Rhythm & sound deserve a huge mention and must not be missed. The Main Street Records stuff as well... Round One - Round Five, which is a wonderful journey that demonstrates the movement from classic House to the deepest Dub.

They both have a tremendously rich discography that is really worth exploring. Some of their best individual work has been in the last few years.

Indeed, Rhythm & Sound is phenomenal.

Miroku

oh hey a discussion about Basic Channel. Awesome!

I used to hear their tracks pretty often in mid-90's Chicago raves. DJ Hyperactive played them often, plus Maurizio of course. Phylyps Trak II is so hypnotic, and what a perfect bassline. The good ol days... sigh.

Alucrid

Banned
Cool stuff for today:

Elite Gymnastics, "Here In Heaven 4 & 5" (CFCF remix) A chunk of Ruin 3 leaked last week (none of the new material, just remixes) and this was definitely one of the highlights. Nightbus lives on!

Really nice album that seemed to have gotten mostly overlooked shortly after it came out. Dude's music hits a lot of my sweet spots simultaneously.

Ruin 3 looks like it's going to be incredible. Here in Heaven on Ruin 2 is my favorite.

Buying Concealer tomorrow. So excited. Well, I've already heard them all, but still. EXCITE

mltplkxr

Excellent post. I am a big fan of Basic Channel and Moritz, but I have to agree that Basic Channel, although as influencial as they are seen now, weren't that available internationally when the 12 inches were coming out, outside of the main techno outposts like London, Berlin, Detroit, etc .

As for the minimal aspect, if you listen to Phylyps Trak, of course that can't be considered minimal techno. But if you listen to their E2E4 cover http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEwLPXDlEyE , and the farther you go into their catalog, then it makes a lot of sense .

And to tag along on the Basic Channel/ Moritz homage we have going here, here's the first time I heard about BC: quarant / dytiq off the 4th new electronica: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IaQWePv9TY
which also contains a great remix of Infinity's (Juan Atkins) Think Quick by Moritz: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmG510tKSQA

This came out around 94 / 95. I looked everywhere for more BC/Moritz but could not get any until the Basic Channel compilation that came out in 98. Then I managed to get a hold of Round 1 to Round 5 a couple of years later.

While we're on the subject of Rhythm + Sound, here's a mix of two separate tracks: King in my Empire and Queen in my Empire, that were made to fit together if you play them at the same time like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkVRNtfIKkQ

okno

Scuba's new album is going to kill, really excited for that one. Didn't know McPhee had new stuff coming already! He's one to keep an eye on.

Keep dishing out the dirt on Basic Channel/Rhythm + Sound, guys! I started to delve heavily into that a few months back, but got completely overwhelmed by the enormity of it all. This is all really great stuff, thanks!

Ill Saint

Excellent post. I am a big fan of Basic Channel and Moritz, but I have to agree that Basic Channel, although as influencial as they are seen now, weren't that available internationally when the 12 inches were coming out, outside of the main techno outposts like London, Berlin, Detroit, etc .
Yes, this is true. But really, Techno was never as big in the USA as it was in Europe. My real point is that when the BC records started dropping, the wave they sent out across the Techno divides were immediately evident. You could hear it in Jaun Atkins work (as you pointed out... Starlight, too, which Moritz beautifully remixed), and Carl Craig, Robert Hood (as Monobox) and so on. Mills was constantly spinning Enforcement in his sets at the time. And then the Chain Reaction label after BC, which reached out to Japan, Greece and elsewhere. The records were definitely hard to find for a while, so I definitely understand the availability thing (as a consumer).

As for the minimal aspect, if you listen to Phylyps Trak, of course that can't be considered minimal techno. But if you listen to their E2E4 cover http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEwLPXDlEyE , and the farther you go into their catalog, then it makes a lot of sense .
I can see that, I suppose. But I don't think I'll ever be convinced that BC were minimal. ;)

I just wanted to add that Maurizio and the duo Rhythm & Sound are one of my most loved artists out there.

The sound they produce is just mind- blowing.

Dark Dub

If you haven't already heard it, listen to this. I think it's among Moritz's best productions.

Shaneus

So, Aphex Twin is doing a sideshow here in Melbourne in a little over a month.

To say I'm excited would be a teensy bit of an understatement.

daviyoung

Banned
Just finished listening to M83's latest. Pretty disappointing after Saturdays = Youth. I guess they'll be big festival players this year though.

I want this but have no iTunes. Anyone?

Could allways try a soundcloud ripper but Id have thought some blog somewhere would have re-hosted it.

joelseph! you seem to know about chopped and screwed stuff, Any stand out songs?
Its a nightmare trying to find stuff on youtube as its full of goons just slowing the song down and calling it a day...
Like the start of this ScHoolboy Q - Hands On The Wheel (Feat. A$AP Rocky) has an awesome sounding kid cudi part that sounds like it could be from a chopped and screwed version or even a just a remix? god knows if ill ever find it though..

joelseph

Could allways try a soundcloud ripper but Id have thought some blog somewhere would have re-hosted it.

joelseph! you seem to know about chopped and screwed stuff, Any stand out songs?
Its a nightmare trying to find stuff on youtube as its full of goons just slowing the song down and calling it a day...
Like the start of this ScHoolboy Q - Hands On The Wheel (Feat. A$AP Rocky) has an awesome sounding kid cudi part that sounds like it could be from a chopped and screwed version or even a just a remix? god knows if ill ever find it though..

whatup whatup C&S is tough, you nailed it. Lots of crap out there. I haven't heard any standouts recently. Last really standout for me was on a recent Jacques Greene mix, I will see if I can track it down.

Speaking of A$ap remixes though you should have Jim-E Stack's bootleg in your bag for sure. - I can reup if needed.

Davidion

Cool stuff for today:

Machinedrum AND Greene AND CFCF. Good jeebus. This Harvey Kartel guy also sounds pretty interesting.

Can't believe someone busted out Nuron. I'd love to see some of the older ambient IDM sounds make a comeback.

joelseph

OC Mixtape Series #11: Total Freedom

TRACKLIST:
1. BECOMING CHAINA - DUTCH E GERM
2. YOU VS THEM (VZ DRUMM VZ THUNDER VZ JOHNNY ON AIR GUITAR TF WASH) - JHENE AIKO
3. THE SECRET - BRIAN ENO & ROBERT FRIPP
4. HELPLESS - URBANIZED
5. HOW CAN I RESIST U - FATIMA AL QADIRI
6. HOOD BY AIR THEME - KINGDOM
7. MO TELLO - DJ FUNANA
8. VIRUS - MARKO MIX DJ
9. BECOME THE SKY - B-FRONT & FRONTLINER
10. GIMME THE LOOT (REMIX) - DJ DIOR
11. SURGEON LUV - TF EDITOR
12. ANGRY KID - KID D
13. SAY MY NAME - DJ FLUKES
14. JEMSHEED (NGUZUNGUZU REMIX) - AYSHAY
15. DARK HEARTS w/ SASHAS SONG (TF TAKE) - BOK BOK
16. HORNS FOR 94 w/ ARAFAT DAGI - J. BALL w/ ABDURRAHMAN ONUL
17. DREAMS OF HEAVEN (SHORTY'S MIX) - CODENAME JOHN
18. SADDEST SONG IN THE WORLD EVER.
19. YOUTUBE PREACHING w/ TARRACHA CU MI - TEYANA TAYLOR w/ DJ MAFIA BOY
20. OPA LOCKDOWN - MASSACOORAMAAN
21. HELPLESS - URBANIZED
22. SOUNDLINK - DJ YUNG TELLEM

okno

Ishkur (of EDM guide fame) just made a mix to hype up the soon-to-be-coming Version 3 of his guide. And of all things, it's a Trance mix... :p

http://soundcloud.com/ishkur23/ishkur-pure-trance

Anybody who likes the trance from the 90's to the early 2000's should jump in, like 90% of this mix is what I was listening to back in the day.

This mix is a ton of fun. I kind of forgot about the good in trance... I got way too swept up in the awful megahits in the early 2000s. It's still not really my thing, but I like this a lot.

For those Vitalic fans out there: Sir Ouakam - Tenebres Incredibly dark, bracing techno with a 70s horror-film sheen, highly recommended.

lush

FACT mix 314: Guido

Tracklist:

State Of Joy Rough Intro
Guido & Baobinga featuring Buggsy – Ballin’ VIP
Baobinga & I.D. – Elastic
Guido – Africa (forthcoming State of Joy)
Gemmy – Get down
Guido – Micro X (State of Joy)
Goth Trad – Sublimation (Deep Medi)
Rustie – After Light (Warp)
Redlight – Get Out My Head (Joker remix)
Janelle Monae – Many Moons
Stargate – Black and Yellow Instrumental
Baobinga & Guido – IceBlack
Missy Elliott – Hit ‘Em Wit Da Hee (feat. Lil’ Kim)
Interface Feat. William Cartwright – Truth Beyond (Clear Skyz)
Rob Smith – Golden Vision
Type Sun – Last Home
Nosaj Thing – Night Crawler
Laszlo – Lydias Dream (Lydian Label)

http://soundcloud.com/factmag/fact-mix-314-guido-jan-12/s-fll4z

Wasnt going to post this because its mixed like shit but what the hell.

Moblin

Alicia Keys ft.Drake- Unthinkable (Chopped and Screwed)
Wiz Khalifa ft Chevy Woods- Taylor Gang
50cent- Ayo Technology (Instramental)
Schoolboy Q ft Asap Rocky - Hands On The Wheel
Bok Bok - Hyperpass
Kirko Bangz - What Yo Name IZ (Chopped and Screwed by LMG)
Tyler the Creator- Yonkers

I put it together earlier but I should really learn what in the hell I am doing rather than making glorified playlists!!

lush

The Hudson Mohawke BBC Radio1 set is ridiculous. Not sure if we can post links for set downloads so if anyone needs a link let me know.

joelseph

Moblin

Bok Bok - Hyperpass

I put it together earlier but I should really learn what in the hell I am doing rather than making glorified playlists!!

I'm going in.

joelseph

Tracklist:

State Of Joy Rough Intro
Gemmy – Get down
Type Sun – Last Home

This was really good! No wonder Fact is on this kid's nuts.

joelseph

Moblin

Bok Bok - Hyperpass

I really enjoyed this. Taylor Gang was a miss for me but was really feeling the rest. Plus, you can't get much better transitions unless you start editing or using mixer tricks. Great vibes for a gaf mix. More of this please!

Davidion

Tracklist:

State Of Joy Rough Intro
Gemmy – Get down
Type Sun – Last Home

Strong, strong set.

Next up: LV on xlr8r
http://www.xlr8r.com/podcast/2012/01/lv

01 Raffertie "Brevity" (Ninja Tune)
02 Trestle "You Can't Get"
03 TreeFNGR "Fine Fright"
04 Gulls "Miami Coom" (Boomarm Nation)
05 Joakim & Bambounou "Wizard Battle" (Sound Pellegrino)
06 Beneath "PVO"
07 Fenbred "Back Home"
08 DJ Clock "Chynaman" (Soul Candi)
09 Mogringo "Heavyweight" (Shelter)
10 Jook 10 "Get Low" (Soulserious)
11 LV & Mumdance "Broadcast"
12 Professor "Imoto (feat. Character)" (Kalawa Jazmee)
13 Benjamin Damage & Doc Daneeka "Creeper" (50 Weapons)
14 Scratcha DVA "Polyphonic Dreams" (Hyperdub)
15 DJ Mphulo Presents Angelp Agnelli "Off the Wall (Tshwara Lebota)" (Shelter)
16 Basement Jaxx "Untitled"
17 Portico Quartet "City of Glass (LV Remix)" (Real World)
18 LR Groove "Device"
19 Mock the Zuma "Black Puddle" (Full Fridge)
20 LV & Joshua Idehen "Primary Colours" (Keysound)
21 CHLLNGR "Well Good" (Time No Place)
22 Seb Rochford with Ranjana Ghatak and Gina Loring "Love Is a Sacred Path (LV Remix)" (Days & Nights at the Takeaway)
23 Nico Lindsay "Haunted"
24 Pixelord "Drinky" (Hit and Hope)
25 Visionist "Sodium" (Liminal)
26 Lamin Fofana "Brokedown City" (Sticks 'N Stones)
27 Crakk Nicholson "Whenever You're Here (LDFD Remix)"
28 Mz Bratt "Tear It All Down (LV Remix)" (Atlantic)
29 Africa Hitech "Out in the Streets" (Warp)
30 EQ Why "Back 2 This Track" (Moveltraxx)
31 DJ Earl "Troniklife" (Electropix)
32 Mushroom Buttons "Ice Climbirr"
33 Zomby "Riding with Death" (4AD)
34 Jon Phonics x Pete Cannon "Romes (Pedestrian Remix)" (PRISM)
35 Becoming Real "Like Me (Rashad Remix)" (Moshi Moshi)
36 Stereotyp "Juke My Name"
37 Danny Breaks "Droppin' Science Vol. 1 (Phillip D Kick's Jungle Edit)"
38 Rockwell x Untold "Rekohu Sunrise" (Critical)
39 Bad Company "Night Train" (BC)
40 LV & Mumdance "Steak Night"
41 LV & Dandelion "CCTV (Epoch's Ten Tonne Dub)"

I really enjoyed this. Taylor Gang was a miss for me but was really feeling the rest. Plus, you can't get much better transitions unless you start editing or using mixer tricks. Great vibes for a gaf mix. More of this please!

Thanks.
I just really like that Taylor gang song and the problem I have so often is I love the whole thing so I find it REALLY hard to find a place to mix in!
I think I should have started with it and editing it way shorter but there we go.

Top Bottom