• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams thread

MAZYORA

Also, Naka had more to do with nights than anyone as he came up with the idea for the game when he was on a plain and then drew out the concept on a napkin. I read an interveiw with him in Next Gen mag back in 1996 with the nights cover story.

It's actually kind of a funny thing. Jak II and Breakdown were two of my favorite games of last gen, and when I was working parttime at EB during University, I absolutely refused to recommend them to anyone. I knew that while I loved them, they were too flawed to have people gamble their money on.

I know a lot of people are going to consider my impressions with a certain weight, and I just want to assure those that are - while No6 is right in that I'm going to be too charitable to the game with myself, when I put the impressions on here, I'm going to do my best to make 'em honest, with all that entails.

edit: and I never said they were the exact same team, though I know others have made that comment. They are the same team, but not the exact same team. It's as close to the same team as anything out there, though.

scitek

Segata Sanshiro said:
edit: and I never said they were the exact same team, though I know others have made that comment. They are the same team, but not the exact same team. It's as close to the same team as anything out there, though.

Well, it's enough of the same team to know what made the original game work, so if it sucks, there should be no excuses.

D-X

That was a turnaround. Still getting it anyway.

Just seen that story cutscene and the voices aren't as bad as I had been led to believe. Ok NiGHTS is too female and they're both American actors going all Dick Van Dyke on their English accents but they're not Resident Evil or Shenmue bad.

Gwanatu T

colinp said:
What do you guys think an androgynous purple jester is supposed to sound like? Cole Train?

He's not supposed to talk; AT ALL! I hate when Sonic Team pulls this crap. It won't ruin the game for me but man will it ever get annoying.

Gwanatu T said:
He's not supposed to talk; AT ALL! I hate when Sonic Team pulls this crap. It won't ruin the game for me but man will it ever get annoying.

I hate it when any videogame company pulls this crap. Not all games need voice acting and not all game characters need voices at all. I still want to murder whoever at Nintendo thought it would be a good idea to make Yoshi sound like a mentally challenged chipmunk.

Sega1991 said:
I hate it when any videogame company pulls this crap. Not all games need voice acting and not all game characters need voices at all. I still want to murder whoever at Nintendo thought it would be a good idea to make Yoshi sound like a mentally challenged chipmunk.
Really? I thought the Yoshi sounds are really cute and fit his character. Actual voice acting of peach, mario, bowser, ... is far far worse.

Souldriver said:
Really? I thought the Yoshi sounds are really cute and fit his character. Actual voice acting of peach, mario, bowser, ... is far far worse.

I really, really, REALLY prefered Yoshi's SMW/SMW2/Mario Kart 64 "ze-phew" sound to the sickeningly sugar-coated baby speak. Peach's voice is kind of grating, but most of the rest of the cast... I don't mind their voices, as long as they are used in small doses (translation: no cutscenes with lengthy dialog, please)

Lobster

Banned
Sega1991 said:

They have to pull "this crap" otherwise critics deduct points down from the game. For example, Twilight Princess.

Lobster said:
They have to pull "this crap" otherwise critics deduct points down from the game. For example, Twilight Princess.

But most of the people who make those comments are just dumb critics making dumb comments. That's like saying all books need to have a movie adaptation because READING AM HARD and also MOVIES ARE MORE HIGH TECH THAN BOOKS.

ivysaur12

Banned
colinp said:
What do you guys think an androgynous purple jester is supposed to sound like? Cole Train?

Well, if NiGHTS has to talk, I'd rather the voice sound more professional. Right now it sounds like the got some low-talent local radio personality to come in and do a fake British accent.

D-X

Gwanatu T said:
He's not supposed to talk; AT ALL!

I concur. Even though both NiGHTS and Reala spoke briefly in the first game they didn't need to speak at length in this game. In fact NiGHTS is a perfect example of a character that doesn't need to speak at all, it ruins the enigmatic nature of the character.

I remember the good old days when you read the MANUAL for the story and just played the game. The original NiGHTS back story was optional you just jumped right into the game.

Chao

Segata Sanshiro said:
How's the game feeling now that you've had a bit more time with it?

MORE IMPRESSIONS, NOT TOO SPOILERIFIC:

I've been playing a bit more, reached to a new Helen level, which felt like a mix between "Mystic forest" and "Soft Museum". The level wasn't particularly beautiful, in fact vegetation looked a bit ugly, but music was ok, you can turn day into night by pulling levers across the stage. The boss on this last Helen level was kind of cool, a spider-like thing you have to beat throwing a ball against a series of platforms, very much like your classic Arkanoid, in order to make her fall.
Also there was a mission in "Glass Garden" which looked like a homage to Columns, a volcano throwing jewels you have to collect before they fall (I'm almost sure that the sound they emit when you pick them up is the classic Columns jewel-breaking sound)

I have to say, they repeated a boss (that crazy ass witch with the cats you've already seen on videos) from the other kid whatever his name is, in Helen's story, and that sucked.
Also, beefy Reala looks sillier the more I see him.

I have the rocket persona mask now, and it makes you fly really fast, but you can't "paraloop" when equipped. I still feel I can't link rings like I did in the original NiGHTS, looks like they've placed them too far away from one to another, maybe when I learn to use persona masks properly I will be able to do better, I hope.

On foot levels are SO boring, and you have to finish all 5 missions from one level in order to unlock the next, so you'll have to play them all.

I'll play a little more later if I can, and I'll post the interesting bits.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Chao said:
MORE IMPRESSIONS, NOT TOO SPOILERIFIC:

I've been playing a bit more, reached to a new Helen level, which felt like a mix between "Mystic forest" and "Soft Museum". The level wasn't particularly beautiful, in fact vegetation looked a bit ugly, but music was ok, you can turn day into night by pulling levers across the stage. The boss on this last Helen level was kind of cool, a spider-like thing you have to beat throwing a ball against a series of platforms, very much like your classic Arkanoid, in order to make her fall.
Also there was a mission in "Glass Garden" which looked like a homage to Columns, a volcano throwing jewels you have to collect before they fall (I'm almost sure that the sound they emit when you pick them up is the classic Columns jewel-breaking sound)

I have to say, they repeated a boss (that crazy ass witch with the cats you've already seen on videos) from the other kid whatever his name is, in Helen's story, and that sucked.
Also, beefy Reala looks sillier the more I see him.

I have the rocket persona mask now, and it makes you fly really fast, but you can't "paraloop" when equipped. I still feel I can't link rings like I did in the original NiGHTS, looks like they've placed them too far away from one to another, maybe when I learn to use persona masks properly I will be able to do better, I hope.

On foot levels are SO boring, and you have to finish all 5 missions from one level in order to unlock the next, so you'll have to play them all.

I'll play a little more later if I can, and I'll post the interesting bits.

Ew, how could they do that? Does it indicate you'd need a mask to link?

This was one of the very first things I complained about when early gameplay videos came out...the rings looked far apart! Haha.

Innotech

Banned
ivysaur12 said:
New vidoes are up on IGN.

HOLY SHIT AT NiGHTS'S VOICE!
we've known about NiGHTS voice for a good while now. This ios a surprise to you?
Everyone knew it was a female voice in NJOD already.

ivysaur12

Banned
Far apart rings, forced on foot levels, NiGHTS talking, repeating bosses...

Crap.

Innotech said:
we've known about NiGHTS voice for a good while now. This ios a surprise to you?
Everyone knew it was a female voice in NJOD already.

I had never heard it before extensively, only a brief clip.

Innotech

Banned
SonicMegaDrive said:
Nights talks now? Cinematics?

Oh, Takashi Iizuka...

You and your silly stories.
sorry to say, but GAF and pretty much the current gamers' very vocal desires for more storylines, voice acting, etc in games is what led to this. Be careful what you wish for.

Chao

SonicMegaDrive said:
Does not bode well for my enjoyment of this game.

Well, there's one foot level per stage (and there are like 4 or 5 stages, I'm not too sure, for every kid) but since you're forced to play all of them it could be a really pain in the ass for some people.

Innotech said:
sorry to say, but GAF and pretty much the current gamers' very vocal desires for more storylines, voice acting, etc in games is what led to this. Be careful what you wish for.

I didn't wish for it.

In fact, I'm very vocal about my distaste for stories and voice acting in my games.

But the majority, yeah, I gotcha. Most people honestly don't know what they want.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Chao said:
That level looks fun to play.
I was about to say that. It's a bit strange to see a video like that after reading the amount of of doom that's going on the players impressions.

I'm going to have to play this for myself. One of two things have happened:

1) SEGA has completely lost the magic they once had and can't learn from their past mistakes.

OR

2) Nostalgia is a powerful force that clouds actuality.

Judging from the actual game play videos, the game doesn't look that bad. That's what I want the game for. But the voices, cutscenes, and voice acting looks terrible. But I can also overlook those things.

I really like SEGA, but breaking apart their teams was pointless and stupid. I'd love to see another Panzer Dragoon or Jet Set Radio, but the probability of either happening is almost nonexistent. They also need to completely rethink their Sonic strategy. I really think they should get away from the 3D style they've been trying to fruitlessly pull off and go back to the 2D style that made Sonic so famous and effective in the first place.

I don't think anyone could have logically expected Journey of Dreams to be on par with the original. Naka had no involvement with the game, the budget was low, and the development seemed rushed even though it was delayed. Would they have been better off just porting the original to the Wii?

It seems that this money would have been better spent on making Shenmue III. I guarantee you that a Shenmue trilogy pack on the Wii would sell much, much better than Nights: Journey of Dreams. The cult fan base would make sure of that. They'd also be able to get back some of the money they lost on Shenmue.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Absinthe said:

1) SEGA has completely lost the magic they once had and can't learn from their past mistakes.

OR

Judging from the actual game play videos, the game doesn't look that bad. That's what I want the game for. But the voices, cutscenes, and voice acting looks terrible. But I can also overlook those things.

I really like SEGA, but breaking apart their teams was pointless and stupid. I'd love to see another Panzer Dragoon or Jet Set Radio, but the probability of either happening is almost nonexistent. They also need to completely rethink their Sonic strategy. I really think they should get away from the 3D style they've been trying to fruitlessly pull off and go back to the 2D style that made Sonic so famous and effective in the first place.

I don't think anyone could have logically expected Journey of Dreams to be on par with the original. Naka had no involvement with the game, the budget was low, and the development seemed rushed even though it was delayed. Would they have been better off just porting the original to the Wii?
Its made by Sonic Team USA and Takashi Iizuka, neither of them have ever made a good game
It seems that this money would have been better spent on making Shenmue III. I guarantee you that a Shenmue trilogy pack on the Wii would sell much, much better than Nights: Journey of Dreams. The cult fan base would make sure of that. They'd also be able to get back some of the money they lost on Shenmue.

I have doubts about that, the Nights fanboys are pretty strong. And do you seriously want a Sonic Team developed Shenmue game?

Innotech

Banned
Absinthe said:

OR

I think its a mix of both. NiGHTS1 isnt as omfg awesome as Gaf remembers it, but NJOD isnt all that it should have been because of time constraints. But I think, judging by details and videos, that I will enjpoy this game. If only because Im not holding it to the same standard as the original. IT will never be NID and as a sequel, I want it to do different things with the formula. From what Ive seen, it still feels very NiGHTS. Linking is also seemingly intact, but probably much harder to achieve and its importance lessened. but you can see, ITS STILL THERE.

Now I know the original game was almostl ike a racer, trying to get as many links as possible before time ran out and you turn into one of the alien looking children, but really, for the vast majority of gamers, I could see that as being flat out boring to them. There is expanded gameplay now, and it seems to be a whole new way of scoring. But thats just it. Just because its different, doesnt make it BAD per se. I see htis as another game people will grow to love and like the original, will have vocal people both hating and loving it.

Innotech

Banned
grandjedi6 said:
Its made by Sonic Team USA and Takashi Iizuka, neither of them have ever made a good game

I have doubts about that, the Nights fanboys are pretty strong. And do you seriously want a Sonic Team developed Shenmue game?
except, you know, THE ORIGINAL NIGHTS GAME.

D-X

Reala's voice has hints of James Woods
Owl voice sounds like Professor Robert Winston
NiGHTS plays invisible flute

http://youtube.com/watch?v=NRXbdL56V9E

chao said:
Also, beefy Reala looks sillier the more I see him

He kinda always was

realadraft.jpg

nandr.jpg

Wow. The mute button on my remote has never looked so enticing.

That's the worst attempt at faking a British accent for the sake of acting I've *ever* heard.

Amir0x

Banned
I mean ok the game is low budget, but WOW. They must have had to turn in this voice acting job over night or something, and just grabbed someone randomly off the street :lol

This beats Yakuza's American talent easy.

Amir0x said:
I mean ok the game is low budget, but WOW. They must have had to turn in this voice acting job over night or something, and just grabbed someone randomly off the street :lol

This beats Yakuza's American talent easy.
It sounds like Mike Myers' "Simon" character from Saturday Night Live

Top Bottom