• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The OFFICIAL Pikmin 2 Topic.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
GOTY is soon to arrive, already here for a lucky few.

pikmin2.jpg

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/589374.asp

Sitting at 89.8% at Game Rankings! Stupid freaking NTSC UK giving a 70%. UKers. Firebomb them. Now.

So who has it?

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
I hope the Pikmin 2 review is up tonight(from Gamespot). The game doesnt arrive here until Sept.1, and I need something to quench my thirst for Pikmin infos until then.

explodet

I'm pleasantly surprised they didn't go and change the boxart to something we all could bitch about. :D

The thought of dragging around carefully-hidden product placements does have a certain appeal, though.
I've heard they include:
Duracell battery
Vlasic pickle jar lid
Kiwi shoe polish
Chapstick
7-Up, RC Cola and Dr. Pepper bottlecaps

And all the Nintendo-related items, of course.

I'll see if I can pick it up tomorrow.

Deku Tree

Wellington said:
Stupid freaking NTSC UK giving a 70%. UKers. Firebomb them. Now.

Well NTSC reviews games on a different scale.... besides it averages out with the Nintendo Power review.

I hope my copy comes in the mail tomorrow!

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I'm playing through an advance copy right now as well (review will be up tomorrow).

I can confirm at this point that I've seen most of the things in those spoiler tags.

explodet

GDJustin said:
I can confirm at this point that I've seen most of the things in those spoiler tags.
Yeah, the list is from someone who got it from the Nintendo Power preview, so they're all early items. Still, better safe than sorry.

GDJustin

I'll be back in a couple of hours with some more in-depth impressions and some notes for you guys. I want to collect my thoughts for my review anyway, so I figured I could put them up here for you guys to see too. I'll probably tell any spoilers (with the tag, of course) that I come across as well.

Memles

If this continues its trends of scores above 9, which I'm betting it will, I'm going to feel even worse about not buying it.

Didn't NTSC UK also give Paper Mario 2 around a 70%? What the fuck?

Anyways, I've played a lot of this game due to my girlfriend buying it a few months ago in Tokyo and playing the fucking hell out of it day and night. She went at that game for over a week for several hours a day and didn't blink. Now it's MY turn! And I can't wait to experience the single player mode for myself. Co-op has already proven to be amazing. I can't wait!

AirBrian

Nintendo Offers Proof of Aliens: Adventure-Filled Pikmin 2 Lands Today

Monday August 30, 2:20 pm ET

Shigeru Miyamoto's Latest Creation Isn't Your Garden-Variety Video Game

REDMOND, Wash.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Aug. 30, 2004--With their heads sporting leaves, buds and flowers, the alien Pikmin might be mistaken for garden plants. But this is one hyperactive garden club. A single whistle mobilizes a multitude of Pikmin to gather treasure, fight enemies and solve puzzles.

The only place these tiny, hard-working creatures can be found is in Pikmin(TM) 2, a unique video game made only for Nintendo GameCube(TM) that launches today. In this mass-strategy sequel, Captain Olimar and his assistant, Louie, must find valuable objects to save their company from bankruptcy. They enlist hordes of Pikmin to help.

"With a new character to control and new kinds of Pikmin, players will experience twice the action in this one-of-a-kind adventure," says George Harrison, Nintendo of America's senior vice president of marketing and corporate communications. "The inclusion of brand-name products, a first for Nintendo, means players will find unique value in the familiar items they uncover through the game."

Pikmin 2 improves on the original in every way. Players can switch control between Olimar and Louie to expand the action and find new ways to solve puzzles. They also will encounter two new types of Pikmin: powerful purple and poisonous white.

Unlike the first version, the game has no time limits, so players can fully explore the world of the Pikmin at their own pace. Time even stops when players enter the new cave environments, but the underground areas offer their own tactical challenges: Players can't grow new Pikmin there, so they must marshal their forces strategically to fight the various enemies. Pikmin 2 has a new split-screen battle mode that lets two players compete to see which of the Pikmin armies has the most skillful commander.

Best known for iconic video game characters like Mario(TM) and Donkey Kong®, legendary Nintendo game developer Shigeru Miyamoto created the engrossing world of the Pikmin. The first installment, which launched in December 2001, won the 2002 award from the Academy of Interactive Arts & Sciences for Innovation in Console Gaming. Pikmin 2, Rated E for Everyone, sells at an MSRP of $49.99. Consumers can visit www.pikmin.com to learn more about the fascinating alien world of Pikmin 2.
33589.jpg

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/040830/305616_1.html

Stryder

I have to wait a week or two for my copy to be shipped over from .CA
It's going to be worth the wait though I'm sure :)

demi

explodet said:
I'm pleasantly surprised they didn't go and change the boxart to something we all could bitch about. :D

The thought of dragging around carefully-hidden product placements does have a certain appeal, though.
I've heard they include:
Duracell battery
Vlasic pickle jar lid
Kiwi shoe polish
Chapstick
7-Up, RC Cola and Dr. Pepper bottlecaps

And all the Nintendo-related items, of course.

I'll see if I can pick it up tomorrow.

http://www.nintelligent.net/gamemedia/311/051104_pikmin2_ss-02.jpg

Memles

Chony said:
Why would you not buy it?

Poor. Tuition is a bitch.

EDIT: When that alternate cover was revealed...I really don't care which one it is. One is subtle, the other is more in your face. Nothing terrible about either.

Chony

I love the new cover. Very crazy and awesome. It would be really cool with a holographic cover, the 2d image already almost looks as if it has depth.

Spike

NoA strikes again!!!

The first boxart, with the enemy coming towards the unsuspecting pikmin rules all.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
what a dodgy cover. i'm not buying it anymore. and that's clearly a lobster. the lobster's the most prominent feature, really. that's not an appropriate cover for a game called "pikmin 2." it's an appropriate cover for a game called "lobster."

AniHawk

I'm going to have to hold off on video games until October. Then I'll be getting nine or so from Toys R Us!

...Yay! :(

Socreges

Banned
NOA, if they're responsible, never cease to amaze.

Anyway, just pre-paid for it while I was out. Supposedly in tomorrow.

ced

Wellington said:
Sitting at 89.8% at Game Rankings! Stupid freaking NTSC UK giving a 70%. UKers. Firebomb them. Now.

Sounds like the same bs that gaming-age site did to my poor NG :D .

I just ordered this, it completly slipped under my radar, coulda sworn it was an Oct title.

Its actually nice being surprised about a AAA titles release.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
explodet said:
I've heard they include:.
I've looked that the official guide and those are all in there.

Mike

AniHawk said:
I'm going to have to hold off on video games until October. Then I'll be getting nine or so from Toys R Us!

Who are you and what have you done with AniHawk?

I got home and have played for about an hour. No big surprises, it's quality stuff. My pikmin still get caught on corners though. Argh.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Mike said:
I got home and have played for about an hour. No big surprises, it's quality stuff. My pikmin still get caught on corners though. Argh.

Well, how smart can the little suckers be though really, they walk to their doom at the sound of a whistle.......

Chrono

Banned
w00t. I just ordered my copy! Overnight shipping from Gamestop. I almost got it from EBgames but they charge taxes. :p

I can't wait. :D

Rhage

Mike said:
Damn, that sucks. Was hoping they'd fix that.

GDJustin

Played some of the battle mode, and it's surprisingly robust. When Olimar/Louie get near enemy Pikmin, they freak and attack him like he's fucking satan himself. Each base begins with some of the basic flowers to start growing the number of Pikmin. As you (probably) know, to win you gotta retrieve either the 3 (might be 4, can't remember) yellow marbles in the middle, or the one marble in your enemy's base. What makes this interesting is that it only takes one pikmin to carry a marble.

Obviously large pikmin numbers are needed, but it's entirely possible to use genuine tactics to succeed. The multiplayer matches also genuinely felt like an RTS, moreso than the 1P game. I was leaving contingents of pikmin at key points to defend the entrance to my base or slow my opponant down. There's 10 multiplayer maps available from the start.

The multiplayer battles also seem to have the speed ratcheted up. I wasn't sure if I liked it at first, but it certainly keeps things frantic. One pikmin can bring a marble back to your base VERY quickly. There's none of this crawling back home stuff you'll be used to from the 1P.

Bottom line:

I haven't played very much, but from the handful of matches I played, it's been great fun, and not just a throwaway gimmick.

Mike

Man, I'm trying to like this game, but I'm a bit frustrated. My pikmin were all wiped out due to a stupid mistake on my part at the very end of the second level. I assumed that I could try the last section again, but to my surprise they make you end the day and start all over the next with one pikmin, as opposed to the 95 I had. Then you have to completely restart the level since none of the extensive work done in the caves is remembered.

If I had known this was the case I would have proceeded way more cautiously. I think I'll take a break for awhile and come back to it.

Stryder

Mike said:
Man, I'm trying to like this game, but I'm a bit frustrated. My pikmin were all wiped out due to a stupid mistake on my part at the very end of the second level. I assumed that I could try the last section again, but to my surprise they make you end the day and start all over the next with one pikmin, as opposed to the 95 I had. Then you have to completely restart the level since none of the extensive work done in the caves is remembered.

If I had known this was the case I would have proceeded way more cautiously. I think I'll take a break for awhile and come back to it.
I take it you didn't play the first? , it's best not to put all your eggs in the one basket (or pikmin in your squad).

Mike

I actually did play the first when it came out, but to be honest I forgot a lot of the mechanics since then.

:lol@the new boxart

It's a little silly, but I like it.

Sadly, as much as I love the 1st game I'm thinking about holding off until the 2-for-1 TRU deal because I'm a little short on cash.

Top Bottom