• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Pokemon Platinum Thread of Catching Them All (Again)

• Thread starter Deleted member 21120
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
pokemon-plat-box-art.jpg

--------------------------------------
Release Dates

Japan: September 13, 2008 [Released]
North America: March 22, 2009 [Released]
Europe: May 22, 2009

Links/Websites/Videos

NeoGAF Pokemon Diamond/Pearl thread
Nintendo's Official Pokemon Platinum website
Serebii.net's Pokemon Platinum page (menu on right-hand side of page)
Video trailer
1Up Preview

Screens

wifi.jpg
tornworld.jpg
looker.jpg

battle.jpg
g1.jpg
gym.jpg

Changes/Additions from D/P
(Compilated and mostly stolen from Serebii.net)

New Forms

shaymin-sky2.jpg
giratina-origin2.jpg
rotom-52.jpg

Shaymin has a new form in Pokémon Platinum - the Sky Form. This form is obtained by using a Key Item, the Gracidea Flower, on Shaymin; the item is obtained by having an event Shaymin in your party and visiting Floaroma town. This new Shaymin form, the Sky Forme, features changes in stats, learnset, type (adding the Flying type) and a change in ability to Serene Grace. Click here for further details

Giratina has been given a separate form, as well - the Origin Form. This is called the Origin Forme and is how Giratina exists in the special Distortion World. While out of the Distortion World, Giratina is in its original Altered Forme. However, with a new item, the Griseous Orb, Giratina can remain in its new form in the regular world (as long as the Griseous Orb is held). Giratina's Attack stats and Defense stats are switched in the change of form, and its ability is Levitate in Origin Forme. Its moveset remains the same.

Lastly, Rotom has also been given five new forms in Pokémon Platinum: Mow, Frost, Heat, Fan and Wash. These all feature an increase in stats and each have a unique attack learnable whenever you change its form; however their learnsets and ability match the original Rotom. You can only have one of each form at any one time. The forms can be obtained and switched between by using an event-exclusive item known as the Secret Key.

The Vs. Recorder

vsrecorder.jpg

Use the new Vs. Recorder to record Battle Videos, from battles both online and in the Battle Frontier, and upload and share them with the world in the Global Terminal. Vote on your favorite Battle Videos, and see which videos are the most popular around the world. Using the Vs. Recorder and the Global Terminal, you can share your videos with almost anyone around the world!

Redesigned Gyms

newgym.jpg

The storyline isn't the only thing that's been updated in Pokemon Platinum. The Pokemon Gyms in certain towns have been completed remodeled, with brand new challenges to overcome.

The Battle Frontier

battletower.jpg

The Battle Frontier makes its return in Pokemon Platinum, and it will put your Pokemon Trainer skills to the ultimate test. In addition to the old favorites - the Battle Tower and the Battle Factory - you'll find three all new battle facilities in the Fight Area, each with its own unique rules. The new locations are the Battle Castle, the Battle Hall and the Battle Arcade. Lastly, the Trainer's Cafe is back, and this time you can re-battle gym leaders there! As well as other characters that you've partnered up with throughout the game. As before, Battle Points can still be earned, which can be traded for various prizes.

Box Viewing

sharebox.jpg

Another new feature of the Global Terminal is the ability to share an image of your favorite Pokemon Storage Box with other Trainers! You can view all kinds of creative boxes separated into a variety of categories.

Also using the Global Terminal, you can trade pictures of your Pokémon's contest appeals and view global rankings of Pokémon battles.

Miscellaneous other changes:
(Compilated and mostly stolen from Serebii.net; for complete list of known changes between DP and Plat, see here)

• The Sinnoh Dex an additional 59 Pokémon: all the non-legendary new Pokémon introduced in Diamond & Pearl.
  • If you inadvertantly knock out a Legendary Pokémon, they have a chance of re-appearing later on in the game. In the case of Giratina, it will now appear in Turnback Cave next to the portal to the Distortion World.
  • During the game, you will be given a Togepi Egg and a Level 25 Porygon.
  • Three new move tutors have been added.
  • The Pokémon back-sprites are now animated.
  • The main addition in areas is the Distortion World. This new area is a barren area accessible only from Mt. Coronet and Turnback Cave. This area features the encountering of Giratina in its new form. This area also features complete 3-Dimensional travel and defies the laws of gravity.
  • In the Survival Area, there is a new building that holds different people every day. These include the 8 gym leaders and the 5 double team partners. They all feature higher leveled Pokémon and can be battled every day.
  • A new Villa has been added to the Resort Area. This Villa is owned by you and as the game progresses you'll be able to buy various expensive items. When you purchase items, various in-game characters will come and visit.
  • A new WiFi area has been included. This new area allows you to interact with up to 20 random players. You cannot battle with them but instead participate in a variety of mini-games.
  • The GTS now has a feature that will send an e-mail to you or to your Wii whenever a trade of yours is successful over the Global Trade System.
  • Instead of the text-based interface that was utilised in Diamond & Pearl's WiFi Club, Platinum has a more visual interface that allows you to interact with all your connected friends and join each one through that.

Bonus Toy
(Thanks, Jiggy)

giratinapreorder2.jpg

This Giratina Origin Forme toy is being sold as part of a Platinum package; and in addition to the DS game itself, there is also a small catridge-carrying case that comes in the box.

Hmm, I wonder if I should get this. I skipped over D/P to get the third version for once, but I'm not in the mood for an RPG. I guess I'd get Fire Emblem DS first if I was.

BTW, I've read something about a preorder bonus. What is it?

Jiggy

After eight or nine years of playing the series, I finally completed a Pokedex in Pearl and I'll probably need another eight or nine years of time before I ever feel the urge to do it again. (That or GameFreak speeding the battles up to at least the speed of the Dragon Quest DS remakes, and more preferably to the speed of Guadia Quest, but I'm not banking on that happening any time soon.) Such an annoying, long process.

I am, however, all about spending $35 for move tutors to allow me to teach Bullet Punch to a Technician Scizor who would tear it up in the tournments that I'll never actually attend.

Allan Holdsworth said:
BTW, I've read something about a preorder bonus. What is it?
giratina%20003-noscale.jpg

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Alright, now show us the real pre-order bonus and not some toy you have that melted in the sun.

CiSTM

Banned
I have this pre ordered <3 It's been while since i last played Pokemon game (RED). So I decided to jump in to the Pokemon train once again.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I wish they'd make more creative level like that crazy sideways one in the screens. Pokemon is so conservative.

Teknoman

Dont forget the normal friend code battle screen has been replaced with an actual room instead of that old text based screen with the character icons.

EDIT: The battles aren't really sped up, but serebii says that some of the animations have been sped up/improved.

cvxfreak

Pardon me if this is common knowledge, but did the developers speed the game engine up at all? I enjoyed Diamond and Pearl, but they were so sluggish. I really loved the overall speed of the GBA games, and would love it if Platinum reverted back to that.

EDIT: I see my question was just answered above.

Jiggy

Allan Holdsworth said:
That looks pretty bad.
Yeah, it's not great. I haven't even opened mine. The best Pokemon preorder bonus was the Emerald tin by a wide margin--it was plain and probably very cheap to produce, sure, but a person can always find a use for containers and storage. I'd really love it if they gave away something like soundtracks, though, or even something less like free iTunes downloads for two orchestrated versions of in-game Pokemon music.

Edit: Yeah, if the fifth generation doesn't get battles back up to a reasonable speed, I'm gonna be real annoyed. :( It's not bad during player-to-player battles when I actually the need extra time to think through various possibilities, but when training something in single-player it's just obnoxious to have the slow text speed, slow health bar speed, slow experience bar speed, and redundant text reminders. At least training isn't where the majority of my time goes, though--that's reserved for multiplayer and biking to hatch eggs.

Gravijah

Jiggy said:
Yeah, it's not great. I haven't even opened mine. The best Pokemon preorder bonus was the Emerald tin by a wide margin--it was plain and probably very cheap to produce, sure, but a person can always find a use for containers and storage. I'd really love it if they gave away something like soundtracks, though, or even something less like free iTunes downloads for two orchestrated versions of in-game Pokemon music.

Those Emerald tins are STILL at my local K-mart, I wonder how the hell they even give them away anymore. Maybe I'll ask for one next time I'm there.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Wow, a friend of mine was convinced the battles were much quicker on his Japanese cart. Maybe it was just a placebo effect.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Mutagenic said:
Wow, a friend of mine was convinced the battles were much quicker on his Japanese cart. Maybe it was just a placebo effect.
There are plenty of videos up on YouTube that I'm sure the experts here can view and easily gauge the speed of.

Delio

Have it preordered and ready to go. Even though i played thru the Japanese version i still want the english one. Already got my Platinum team thought up in my head and ready to start soft resetting for decent Regi's haha.

Barrett2

I will get it, but after 40 hours on Diamond, im' not sure if im' ready to go back for more. The slow battles are just too much.

I stared at that pre-order bonus for two minutes, I have no idea what im' looking at.

lawblob said:
I will get it, but after 40 hours on Diamond, im' not sure if im' ready to go back for more. The slow battles are just too much.

I stared at that pre-order bonus for two minutes, I have no idea what im' looking at.

It's Giratina rising out of the smoke and fog all menacing-like, what's not to get?

After Emerald version, I didn't get Diamond or Pearl because I was kinda burnt out from maxing out the Hoenn-dex (I just collect Pokemon and beat the League). I guess I'll nab this one
and keep dreaming for a Gold/Silver DS Revamp

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
So its just a revamp? I really hoped it was the next iteration. If the changes aren't significant, I will just continue trying to make my marowak team in fire red.

nubbe

I want the old man from the Battle Frontier in Emerald back.

The GTS now has a feature that will send an e-mail to you or to your Wii whenever a trade of yours is successful over the Global Trade System.
Thats worth $50 on its own

Apenheul

I've just finished Pokemon Leaf Green yesterday, using only Squirtle/Wartortle/Blastoise for fighting STRENGTH and SURF, and had a Pidgey for FLY and a Bellsprout for CUT (in the end I only catched 3 extra Pokemon aside from my starter). While I enjoyed the game I think it was a cakewalk because my Blastoise was overpowered the whole game. Would Platinum be more enjoyable if I just catch everything I see along the way?

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
Apenheul said:
I've just finished Pokemon Leaf Green yesterday, using only Squirtle/Wartortle/Blastoise for fighting STRENGTH and SURF, and had a Pidgey for FLY and a Bellsprout for CUT (in the end I only catched 3 extra Pokemon aside from my starter). While I enjoyed the game I think it was a cakewalk because my Blastoise was overpowered the whole game. Would Platinum be more enjoyable if I just catch everything I see along the way?
I'm not seeing hoe this is even possible. Sure you would have a level advantage (which might not be enough,) but what go-to moves does toise have that would take out everyone from start to finish? and wouldn't you run out of PP for those/that go-to move at some point in the game and have to use another pokemon? unless you ran from most random battles, and used a bunch of pp ups for the elite 4.

painey

Pokemon was so awesome, but despite taking so long to release new games they ran out of ideas for cool pokemon, so now they all look crap and have boring, uninspired names. That turd of a monster that is a pre-order bonus says everything about it, and because the games are on the DS playing online is a joke because its so easy to hack and just full of people with cloned or overstated monsters.

Guled

Can't wait, picking this up for sure. BTW is the Regigigas thing only for America or also in Canada? That and will Nintendo ever start to give out key item events over wifi?

dani_dc

Damn that Regigigas promotion makes me jealous, we never get anything like that around here.
Jive Turkey said:
Holy crap...I left off when it was only 152. I'm going to have fun with this one.
Not after you realize that you'll still finding Geodudes and Onix and all the same few Pokemons (new and old) all over the world =(

Wizpig

My problem with Pokémon today isn't how many monsters are there to catch, it's that you need 304985 other games and events.
I think in order to have a legit Lugia in D/P you had to buy PokémonXD, beat that game, purify Lugia, transfer it to a GBA with a GBA cable, trasfer it from GBA to DS, right?

Fuck?
Fuck.

Also, the main problem is that these are portable games.
Portable games = hackers
Hackers =/= fun

Now i can say that i'm thinking of picking this up, but i need the European version because of region-locks

colinp

Banned
Wizpig said:
Now i can say that i'm thinking of picking this up, but i need the European version because of region-locks

There are region locks on the Pokemon games?

Not sure whether I am going to pick this up or not. So many good DS games coming out in the next two weeks... Arg

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Already have the Japanese version.. will probably be buying a North American one eventually. It never hurts to have another cart. My love for the competitive environment has been waning lately.. but I'm sure this will jump start it.

Apenheul

FootNinja said:
I'm not seeing hoe this is even possible. Sure you would have a level advantage (which might not be enough,) but what go-to moves does toise have that would take out everyone from start to finish? and wouldn't you run out of PP for those/that go-to move at some point in the game and have to use another pokemon? unless you ran from most random battles, and used a bunch of pp ups for the elite 4.

Blastoise lv. 82
Abilities: strength, surf, hydro pump, bite.
Didn't use any stat-increasing items because it was my first playthrough and I didn't want to waste such items.

This 'setup' was enough to be able to beat most trainer-pokemon in one blow. If 'water pulse' (which I had before hydro pump) didn't work I'd use bite. I was only once nearly beaten by my rival at the SS Anne, but trainers never gave me a problem. Until the elite four through, I had to use four of those items which replenish PP by 10 (forgot the name). And yes, I've used repel very often to skip random encounters. I guess Squirle is just a very easy starter Pokemon.

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
I've heard surf speed has been sped up though, so that's something.
I can't wait though, even though the changes are really negligible this time. Playing FireRed in anticipation as playing Pearl would bring out most of the fun out of it.
It's quite fun but those damn caves are the worst in the old games.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Already preordered. I've already got the figurine too.
Finally, I hear that they sped up the interface a bit. Hopefully the days of playing Pokemon games on modern portable hardware but running at GBC speed levels are long over!

Teknoman

Wizpig said:
My problem with Pokémon today isn't how many monsters are there to catch, it's that you need 304985 other games and events.
I think in order to have a legit Lugia in D/P you had to buy PokémonXD, beat that game, purify Lugia, transfer it to a GBA with a GBA cable, trasfer it from GBA to DS, right?

Fuck?
Fuck.

Also, the main problem is that these are portable games.
Portable games = hackers
Hackers =/= fun

If you've got wi-fi, events wont be a big deal. Wi-Fi mystery gifts are actually being used this time around. I'm assuming they will be compatible for D/P as well (most anyway).

KimiSan said:
I've heard surf speed has been sped up though, so that's something.
I can't wait though, even though the changes are really negligible this time. Playing FireRed in anticipation as playing Pearl would bring out most of the fun out of it.
It's quite fun but those damn caves are the worst in the old games.

I dunno, alot of the changes to the game's layout, story events, graphics, and online section dont seem all that negligible looking at the full list. Improved move animations / speed and slightly improved UI is something that hasnt been done in a third version. Along with the fact you actually see friends online in a lobby instead of just some menu.

Mockingbird said:
Damn. The next Pokemon should feature all new ones and none of the old ones. Just create a new world from scratch. Then maybe I'd try and get into it again.

It seems like alot, but once you get into the game, you end up completing the dex pretty fast. At least I did. Comparing it to the rest of the third versions, it really seems like they added/redid the most with Platinum. With all the effort put into Platinum, I hope they put just as much into whatever Wii companion game they make. Whatever it is, it better expand on character customization as well as content and graphics in general.

I know when I get this I'm going to ignore all of my other games. I am a huge Pokémon fan so I know I will be addicted to this for a while. I'm still trying to decide what my team will be, but I'm thinking about using Chimchar as my starter. :D

Only a week to go ^_^

ivysaur12

Banned
I usually don't buy the third version, but there looks like a lot of interesting new features... I just don't think I have it in me for another RPG these days.

Top Bottom