• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Pokemon Platinum Thread of Catching Them All (Again)

• Thread starter Deleted member 21120
  • Start date

Captain N

I always plan on getting all the Pokemon and give up when my Pokemon stop listening to me. I wish there was DLC to unlock all the badges.

Shiggie said:
Posters for the new movie should confirm the remake.
gsrmk.tif
Since I already imported Platinum, the G/S remakes are what I am really, really looking forward to.

Captain N

Wii Will Rock U said:
Since I already imported Platinum, the G/S remakes are what I am really, really looking forward to.

so they really are going to remake G/S? I guess we'll need to wait for DS Advance for a brand new engine for Pokemon?

Ravidrath

Posting it here, as well.

If you missed any of the recent event Pokemon, I can hook you up. I downloaded them to a CycloDS and backed up the saves, so any I send out are uniquely generated and not "cloned" in the traditional sense.

I've got Manaphy, Shaymin, Darkrai, Deoxys, Regigigas and Dragonite.

I'll be around a bit later today, but PM me with your Friend Code if you're interested. If you have AIM or MSN or GTalk, please provide that was well - it'll make coordinating this a lot easier, especially if you're not in the U.S.

I have 2 questions that nobody answered in the D/P thread for me.

1. If I pre-order the game at Amazon, do I get the figure or does Amazon not offer pre-order bonuses?
2. If I delete a Wondercard from D/P to get Regigias, will I keep the Pokemon/all data about that Pokemon in the game? Why can you only have 3 Wondercards?

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Haha....I'll be getting this, even though I've played the shit out of Diamond.

First response nailed it, lol.

Teknoman

ivysaur12 said:
I usually don't buy the third version, but there looks like a lot of interesting new features... I just don't think I have it in me for another RPG these days.

Just play as you go.

Anony

too bad there wont be a way to transfer save files

maybe when i have time (30+ hours) i will revisit platinum

I'm probably going to get this, trade over all of my event Pokemon from Pearl (Manaphy, Deoxys, etc. and also my shiny Abomasnow which I named Obamasnow) and then sell that.

I've usually chosen Chimchar as my starter, but I'll go with Turtwig this time around.

Guled

Teknoman said:
If you've got wi-fi, events wont be a big deal. Wi-Fi mystery gifts are actually being used this time around. I'm assuming they will be compatible for D/P as well (most anyway).
really, got any more details on that. Thats awesome
Shiggie said:
gsrmk.tif
:D :D :D :D

Teknoman

Aaron Strife said:
I'm probably going to get this, trade over all of my event Pokemon from Pearl (Manaphy, Deoxys, etc. and also my shiny Abomasnow which I named Obamasnow) and then sell that.

I've usually chosen Chimchar as my starter, but I'll go with Turtwig this time around.

Yeah, after I trade all my Diamond stuff over (eventually), i'll just sell that.

As far as wi-fi events, its in the serebii.net differences section. They just started using them in japan (for all 3 versions im guessing) so it shouldnt be any different in NA or EU regions. That and its hinted at on the official site.

EDIT: Another cool thing is now legendaries reappear eventually if you ko them accidentally. The three legendary birds roam around as well. Should check out the official site "Connect" section. Shows some stuff that wasnt mentioned at serebii (minor stuff like online box display, and pictures of the new online friends lobby).

xgjo5x.jpg

I think you can only get the rotom items through wi-fi mystery gift, so we should get the extra pokemon lair items via that as well.

EDIT2: Yup
http://www.serebii.net/platinum/wifievents.shtml

Jiggy

Looking over the list of changes again and again (on serebii, not the partial list here), Platinum is doing a lot, but it's mostly for the single-player that I don't really care about. As opposed to Emerald, which was very balanced: it had new dungeons for the single-player fans, and gym leader rematches, and Battle Frontier, but it also went really heavy on changing things relevant to the competitive metagame--the double-speed egg hatching, the ability to reset EVs with berries, various abilities gaining an effect to help catch the Pokemon you wanted more easily (Synchronize ups the chance of getting the same nature, Cute Charm attracts the opposite gender, Magnet Pull lures Electric Pokemon, etc.), the move tutors, an old man who helped you figure out a very rough range of IVs... Emerald even cleared a huge horizontal path from the breeding center, which was such a little touch since all they had to do was push a few trees one square down, but, again, it proved the developers were paying attention to serious players. )And there were some line blurs since many of those changes did improve things for single-player-only fans as well.)

Anyway, for Platinum I'm looking forward to the kinds of changes that aren't often reported. For example, I almost never saw anybody who bothered to mention just how many enemy trainers they added to Emerald. Before that, I really hated the Hoenn region. Afterward, it became my favorite overall--Kanto still had the best layout, but Hoenn's new trainers and their love of creating on-the-fly double battles made the single-player quest so much more enjoyable than what it had been before as the usual endless sequence of singles battles.

Another example:

Teknoman said:
Improved move animations / speed and slightly improved UI is something that hasnt been done in a third version.
They did the improved UI, but only once. I can't remember offhand which feature it was, but in Ruby/Sapphire neither the ability to move items on and off Pokemon within boxes nor the ability to press Y to select the ability to move multiple boxed Pokemon (or drag-and-drop) existed--and by Emerald, both of them existed. I'm pretty sure one of those features came from FR/LG, but the other was Emerald and it was really welcome.

Though I suspect that to this day, few people even know about the Y trigger. :(

Anyway, with cases like those as precedents, I have my suspicions that there'll be other small touches that nobody mentions but that I, at least, will notice.

Apenheul said:
I've just finished Pokemon Leaf Green yesterday, using only Squirtle/Wartortle/Blastoise for fighting STRENGTH and SURF, and had a Pidgey for FLY and a Bellsprout for CUT (in the end I only catched 3 extra Pokemon aside from my starter). While I enjoyed the game I think it was a cakewalk because my Blastoise was overpowered the whole game. Would Platinum be more enjoyable if I just catch everything I see along the way?
Pokemon single-player is always going to be pretty easy unless you specifically go out of your way to make it challenging, but yes, raising a full team is still more entertaining than having a single kill-everything war demon.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I'll probably be picking this up eventually. I missed the third generation and I was waiting for the 3rd game for the DS gen. Maybe in a few months though, I still have lots to play as is.

Osuwari

Jiggy said:
Looking over the list of changes again and again (on serebii, not the partial list here), Platinum is doing a lot, but it's mostly for the single-player that I don't really care about. As opposed to Emerald, which was very balanced: it had new dungeons for the single-player fans, and gym leader rematches, and Battle Frontier, but it also went really heavy on changing things relevant to the competitive metagame--the double-speed egg hatching, the ability to reset EVs with berries, various abilities gaining an effect to help catch the Pokemon you wanted more easily (Synchronize ups the chance of getting the same nature, Cute Charm attracts the opposite gender, Magnet Pull lures Electric Pokemon, etc.), the move tutors, an old man who helped you figure out a very rough range of IVs... Emerald even cleared a huge horizontal path from the breeding center, which was such a little touch since all they had to do was push a few trees one square down, but, again, it proved the developers were paying attention to serious players. )And there were some line blurs since many of those changes did improve things for single-player-only fans as well.)

Anyway, for Platinum I'm looking forward to the kinds of changes that aren't often reported. For example, I almost never saw anybody who bothered to mention just how many enemy trainers they added to Emerald. Before that, I really hated the Hoenn region. Afterward, it became my favorite overall--Kanto still had the best layout, but Hoenn's new trainers and their love of creating on-the-fly double battles made the single-player quest so much more enjoyable than what it had been before as the usual endless sequence of singles battles.

Another example:

They did the improved UI, but only once. I can't remember offhand which feature it was, but in Ruby/Sapphire neither the ability to move items on and off Pokemon within boxes nor the ability to press Y to select the ability to move multiple boxed Pokemon (or drag-and-drop) existed--and by Emerald, both of them existed. I'm pretty sure one of those features came from FR/LG, but the other was Emerald and it was really welcome.

Anyway, with cases like those as precedents, I have my suspicions that there'll be other small touches that nobody mentions but that I, at least, will notice.

Pokemon single-player is always going to be pretty easy unless you specifically go out of your way to make it challenging, but yes, raising a full team is still more entertaining than having a single kill-everything war demon.

i can't find the Y button in my GBAs.

Jiggy

Osuwari said:
i can't find the Y button in my GBAs.
Ah, that's right--it's Y now, but was Select then.
Edit: and come to think of it, that feature existed in Pokemon Box too. I think it was triggered with X in that software.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Having the E4 at such a high level in Platinum is sort of a metagame boost as the regular e4 in D/P is still faster leveling than any fight in R/S/E, and now they have a whole lot of new levels.

Also Online Battle Tower. Who doesn't want that? No one that's who!

Rpgmonkey

I want this in a way, but I think I'm going to wait until it gets cheaper or something first...

Then again, bought Yellow, Crystal, and Emerald even after having the original version(s), I'm sure I'll get this eventually. :lol

Shiggie said:
gsrmk.tif

Gonna be so happy if/when it happens. :D

Jiggy

Man God said:
Having the E4 at such a high level in Platinum is sort of a metagame boost as the regular e4 in D/P is still faster leveling than any fight in R/S/E, and now they have a whole lot of new levels.
Yeah, but who needs leveling when there are auto-50 and auto-100 settings? And then there's Nintendo's latest official tournament where nothing higher than level 50 can even be entered. :(

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Jiggy said:
Yeah, but who needs leveling when there are auto-50 and auto-100 settings? And then there's Nintendo's latest official tournament where nothing higher than level 50 can even be entered. :(

Level 1 Pokemon+Lucky Egg+Switching out=fast leveling for getting up levels for breeding.

Or let's say you finished EVing for your competitive poke but need to evolve/get moves. The faster you can level the better.

Ravidrath

Blu_LED said:
I have 2 questions that nobody answered in the D/P thread for me.

1. If I pre-order the game at Amazon, do I get the figure or does Amazon not offer pre-order bonuses?
2. If I delete a Wondercard from D/P to get Regigias, will I keep the Pokemon/all data about that Pokemon in the game? Why can you only have 3 Wondercards?

1. No, you will not get the figure. Sometimes Amazon has preorder bonuses, but this time they do not.

2. You will keep the Pokemon. The Wondercard is just the Mystery Gift, that shows you have it waiting to be picked up. Once you pick up the Pokemon, it has no function, and it will not go back in time and delete your Pokemon when you clear it.

...And I have a question of my own about the figure. I preordered last week, but wasn't given a figure? Should they have given it to me then?

Ravidrath said:
1. No, you will not get the figure. Sometimes Amazon has preorder bonuses, but this time they do not.

2. You will keep the Pokemon. The Wondercard is just the Mystery Gift, that shows you have it waiting to be picked up. Once you pick up the Pokemon, it has no function, and it will not go back in time and delete your Pokemon when you clear it.

...And I have a question of my own about the figure. I preordered last week, but wasn't given a figure? Should they have given it to me then?
Thanks. Shit I want that figure, but I have no time to go to the store. Gamestop will ship it to me, buts its like $3 for shipping. Toys R Us and Amazon have free shipping, but no figure....

I can answer your question. Some stores give them out right on the spot when you pre-order, others like to hold onto it and give it to you when you pick up the game (I'm assuming its so you don't cancel). They will most likely give it to you next Sunday, with the game.

rainking187 said:
Walmart.com has a neat package for this game, you get the game, the figure, and a DS case for $35.
Oh shit thats awesome. The shipment won't get here until the 31st, but whatever. Thats a nice little package.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
My Gamestop gave me the figurine when I plunked down $5 on my preorder last week.
But I have it in good with the staff. I'm there buying shit multiple times a week, usually, so we're all on a first-name basis. Hell, I sometimes get the preorder bonuses without preordering! :)

Michan

Mejilan said:
My Gamestop gave me the figurine when I plunked down $5 on my preorder last week.
But I have it in good with the staff. I'm there buying shit multiple times a week, usually, so we're all on a first-name basis. Hell, I sometimes get the preorder bonuses without preordering! :)
This is the very reason why so many people miss out on their pre-order bonuses (Galaxy and Nuts & Bolts are two that spring to mind).

Stage On

Man I keep thinking it's almost the 22 even thought it isn't! I really can't wait until the 22 to catch em all over again xd

The best part is that the key items to get even pokemon will now be given over wifi so I won't have to miss out on so many of them just becuse I'm Canadian

Sagitario

Shiggie said:
gsrmk.tif

Just for Cyndaquil I'll watch this movie...

I want to get into the Pokémon games again and I was planning to do so with the release of Platinum, but all the talk about EV, DV, nature, berries, etc. seriously puts me down [even though I play it only for the single player], that and all the time I'd have to invest trying to level up my Pokémans...

-Mikey-

Ok, so I beat Pearl and sold it.

I was dumb enough to buy it again, beat 3 gym leaders and haven't touched it for about a month.

Should I finish it before Platinum comes out or just sit tight and play through this new version?

bh7812

Banned
I read the list of changes/additions to Platinum..I just got Diamond not long ago and have barely started it. The reason I barely started it is cause I've been waiting for Platinum but I have been going back and forth on whether to get it or not. I am curious is Platinum basically the same exact storyline and game as Diamond just with all these additions or changes or is it all new? If the story and places in it are brand new then I'll just wait for Platinum before I put in any major time with a Pokemon game. It would be my 1st one although technically I've played small bits of some of the Game Boy ones.

Balb

Jiggy said:

Another example:

Platinum didn't change the competitive metagame? Considering average Pokemon like Scizor have now become one of the most powerful in the game thanks to Platinum changes, I would say the competitive changes have been pretty significant.

I read the list of changes/additions to Platinum..I just got Diamond not long ago and have barely started it. The reason I barely started it is cause I've been waiting for Platinum but I have been going back and forth on whether to get it or not. I am curious is Platinum basically the same exact storyline and game as Diamond just with all these additions or changes or is it all new? If the story and places in it are brand new then I'll just wait for Platinum before I put in any major time with a Pokemon game. It would be my 1st one although technically I've played small bits of some of the Game Boy ones.

You should wait for Platinum, it has the same story.

Also, is anyone going to hold a Platinum tournament?

Teknoman

Balb said:
Platinum didn't change the competitive metagame? Considering average Pokemon like Scizor have now become one of the most powerful in the game thanks to Platinum changes, I would say the competitive changes have been pretty significant.

You should wait for Platinum, it has the same story.

Also, is anyone going to hold a Platinum tournament?

Some more events and trainers have been added to the story for clarification too.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Michan said:
This is the very reason why so many people miss out on their pre-order bonuses (Galaxy and Nuts & Bolts are two that spring to mind).

Nah, they only give me shit if they got more swag than preorders. The Nuts & Bolts preorder bonus was in EXTREMELY limited supply. My store's big enough that it usually gets more than enough preorder goodies, but they only got ONE N&B promotional code, despite having 5 preorders. I got only it because I was the first one to pick up my preorder that day. Actually, the UPS shipment arrived about three minutes after I walked in, so I just waited until they were ready to sell.

Giard

I wish I had a way to get on Wifi so I could battle you guys
I'll be getting this, I wish there was a way I could skip the single player :lol

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
Jiggy I think it all boils down to Balb thinking he could beat you in a battle. I don't mean to start fights or anything, but he's been talking all types of smack at you and your shoalin temple.

Balb

FootNinja said:
Jiggy I think it all boils down to Balb thinking he could beat you in a battle. I don't mean to start fights or anything, but he's been talking all types of smack at you and your shoalin temple.

What.

Jiggy

Balb said:
I said the changes are centered "mostly" around single-player. I know about the move tutors--I even mentioned Scizor myself in my first post of this thread. And I'm greatly looking forward to using Icy Wind Lanturn on stuff like Rest/Refresh/Aromatherapy/Natural Cure/Lum Berry Pokemon who don't care about Thunder Wave, Guts/Facade users who want Thunder Wave, or BP Jolteon who would normally get to come in and set for free. (Or BP anything, actually, since the majority of them can handle anything Lanturn do but sure won't appreciate passing speed drops to their friends.) And the number of things that learn Trick now makes me just about explode since that's been one of my favorite moves since it was created.

I'm just saying that compared to Emerald, which had significant moveset overhauls of its own and other added touches to make training, catching, and breeding all so much easier, Platinum isn't quite on the same level. Edit: Though FR/LG had the third-gen move tutors prior to Emerald, of course, but it bungled them too much by only allowing one use per move per file.

Delio

I've been using a Bullet Punch Scizor and it is deadly indeed. Only annoying part is the shards you have to dig up for them. Icy Wind Lanturn? That's interesting.

Balb

Jiggy said:
I said the changes are centered "mostly" around single-player. I know about the move tutors--I even mentioned Scizor myself in my first post of this thread. And I'm greatly looking forward to using Icy Wind Lanturn on stuff like Rest/Refresh/Aromatherapy/Natural Cure/Lum Berry Pokemon who don't care about Thunder Wave, Guts/Facade users who want Thunder Wave, or BP Jolteon who would normally get to come in and set for free. (Or BP anything, actually, since the majority of them can handle anything Lanturn do but sure won't appreciate passing speed drops to their friends.) And the number of things that learn Trick now makes me just about explode since that's been one of my favorite moves since it was created.

I'm just saying that compared to Emerald, which had significant moveset overhauls of its own and other added touches to make training, catching, and breeding all so much easier, Platinum isn't quite on the same level. Edit: Though FR/LG had the third-gen move tutors prior to Emerald, of course, but it bungled them too much by only allowing one use per move per file.

Are you up for a battle sometime?

Chozo

Farore said:
I want to get into the Pokémon games again and I was planning to do so with the release of Platinum, but all the talk about EV, DV, nature, berries, etc. seriously puts me down [even though I play it only for the single player], that and all the time I'd have to invest trying to level up my Pokémans...

If you're simply going to go single player->Elite 4 and then maybe complete your Pokedex, you don't need to give a shit about IVs/EVs/etc. at all. A Gyarados with Dragon Dance will pretty much beat the entire Elite 4 for free, so you don't necessarily have to grind a lot either if you know what you're doing.

Jiggy

I don't expect Icy Wind Lanturn to shake up anything at all, not even UU, but I'll use it anyway because I love that adorable blue fish and its awesome typing. Also, can't believe I forgot to mention Electivire as another one who'd just adore coming in on Thunder Wave but won't like Icy Wind. Ursaring too, though it won't particularly hate Icy Wind but would have enjoyed the Quick Feet boost. And Milotic can't run in to trigger free Marvel Scale for whenever she needs it.

Though Thunder Wave obviously has its own advantages over Icy Wind too, like being able to hit Gengar, Azelf, and friends so that either they'll be useless for the rest of the battle or enemy Blissey will come out to heal them and Dugtrio/Pursuit Tyranitar/Pursuit Weavile/whoever else gets to take a free and welcome shot, as opposed to just forcing one switch (which might not even be a switch out of Lanturn, but a switch out of whatever comes in after Lanturn) and that's the end of it. It's probably a better choice overall, really, but I tend to like experimental and off-kilter stuff more than proven standards. When I actually played NetBattle I got kicked around probably 70% of the time, but it was fun anyway.

Balb said:
Are you up for a battle sometime?
You're the third person to ask today, oddly enough, but eh, sure. :p

Chozo said:
I want to get into the Pokémon games again and I was planning to do so with the release of Platinum, but all the talk about EV, DV, nature, berries, etc. seriously puts me down [even though I play it only for the single player]
Then you don't need to worry about any of it. Even I don't bother with that stuff during single-player, since it doesn't pay off at all.

Prax

Haha, my little sister wants this.
I do too, but I don't have the time to play all these games..! oO
Plus, I am not very good/not so obsessed that I would want to trick out my pets with the latest breeding/skilling techniques.

You know what Pokemon makes me want to do though? Draw fanart. lol
pokeprax-platinum_bw.jpg

(Turtwig already thinks little of his master)

If my little sister gets it, I'll be tempted to start a game and play 5 minutes just to get the satisfaction of picking and naming my starter. :>

mattso

I was super into the metagame when diamond/pearl came out. Logged hundreds of hours into planning, breeding, training and battling.

Do I really want to again? I mean I guess I can just transfer over most of my ev trained pokes and use the move tutor on them if necessary/rebreed any that need to be done over so it wouldn't be a complete start over.

I will most likely be buying this.

I do want to trade myself my shiny bulbasaur and use that as my co-starter. Possibly an elekid and cubone as well. :D

Prax

Just noticed this..
But is the lower gold thing on Giratina's jaw on backwards, or is it supposed to be able to spin around like that..?

giratinapreorder2.jpg

VS

pokemon-plat-box-art.jpg

?? :|

Nicktals

Banned
Okay, total Pokemon noob here (except for Pokemon Snap, which I absolutely loved, and then loved again through the VC).

Does it really matter what one I start with? Will playing a new entry be overwhelming at all (as in, should I start with an earlier entry)? If I should, which one? Keep in mind I only have a DS, as far as nintendo handhelds go.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Start with Platinum.

Easy, pretty well set up for beginners, most of the pokemon in the game availible, and online so you can get the rest if you want.

Top Bottom