• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Pokemon Platinum Thread of Catching Them All (Again)

• Thread starter Deleted member 21120
  • Start date

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
civilstrife said:
Haven't been paying attention to this one.

Have they sped up the battle animations?
This needs to be answered ASAP. I don't buy this game unless combat is sped up from D/P.

Firestorm

If you want to add some really useful links:

GAF Nintendo WiFi Connection IRC Channel is #gaf_wfc on irc.globalgamers.net
So if you have an IRC client, use that to connect there and if enough Pokemon people start using it it'll get MUCH easier to coordinate battles. People use it for Smash, Mario Kart, and dicking around at the moment.

Or just use your web browser. http://www.mibbit.com/
Server: irc.globalgamers.net
Channel: #gaf_wfc

And the other link is:
http://www.smogon.com/forums/ which is the best site for looking up movesets and in-depth articles on pokemon battling. They've already analyzed the shit out of Platinum so the movesets should be updated afaik.

Baconbitz

Banned
Firestorm said:

So if you have an IRC client, use that to connect there and if enough Pokemon people start using it it'll get MUCH easier to coordinate battles. People use it for Smash, Mario Kart, and dicking around at the moment.

Or just use your web browser. http://www.mibbit.com/
Server: irc.globalgamers.net
Channel: #gaf_wfc

And the other link is:
http://www.smogon.com/forums/ which is the best site for looking up movesets and in-depth articles on pokemon battling. They've already analyzed the shit out of Platinum so the movesets should be updated afaik.
Joined in.

Jiggy

Firestorm said:

So if you have an IRC client, use that to connect there and if enough Pokemon people start using it it'll get MUCH easier to coordinate battles. People use it for Smash, Mario Kart[...]
Eh, I don't really see any Mario Kart going on anymore--in the last six months or so we've pretty much just shifted from 10-15 days of discussion about one big game to 10-15 days of discussion about the next, like Tales of Vesperia, Mega Man 9, Kirby Super Star Ultra, Mother 3, Castlevania: OoE, Tales of Symphonia: DotNW, Chrono Trigger, Fire Emblem, Retro Game Challenge, Madworld, Dragon Quest V... I know the place was really heavy on L4D at one point too, although I can't remember if that was in the last six months.

But yeah, there are still some random Smash diehards for whatever reason. And if anyone just wants to talk games as opposed to actually playing anything, we spend a ton of time doing that. Just be prepared to encounter an altogether-too-large number of freaky personalities. :p

vhfive

civilstrife said:
Haven't been paying attention to this one.

Have they sped up the battle animations?
i forgot all about battle animations because i always turn it off at the beginning of the game

also on the fence if i'm going to get this or not

on one hand i gotta catch'em all on the other hand recession

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
comedy bomb said:
I have never played a Pokemon game. Would this be a good one to start with?
Yes. Remember, five year olds play this series. It's not complicated, no matter which version of the game you're playing or how many new Pokeymans there are to catch.

The single player quest doesn't change much from game to game, even though the locations are different. Wi-Fi battles, even with the limited options that Nintendo WFC usually provides, extend the replay value of the 4th generation games quite a bit. The only major disadvantage that D/P has compared to previous games in the series is the really slow pacing, as other posts in the thread have hinted at.

Michan

Mejilan said:
Nah, they only give me shit if they got more swag than preorders. The Nuts & Bolts preorder bonus was in EXTREMELY limited supply. My store's big enough that it usually gets more than enough preorder goodies, but they only got ONE N&B promotional code, despite having 5 preorders. I got only it because I was the first one to pick up my preorder that day. Actually, the UPS shipment arrived about three minutes after I walked in, so I just waited until they were ready to sell.
Ah, good to hear :) I know for sure that my local EBs don't play nicely when it comes to pre-order bonuses.

Seven days until we find out if this is intentional or just a glitch from the JPN versions.

For me there's only 3 reasons to get Platinum:

1) Rotom forms
2) Skymin
3) Nintendo tournaments

Not really worth $35 since I already have Pearl.
I can always get tutor moves by trading with somebody who owns Platinum
Plus the 3rd reason only comes into play if Nintendo decides to hold a regional near my neck of the woods. Driving 6 hours to LA for a Pokemon tournament? :lol

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
I've been wanting to get into battling, but the EV-training that you have to do is really intimidating. I know how to do it, but it just seems so tedious and time-consuming... to the competitive battlers on here: do you train your Pokemon yourselves or do you trade for them? What do you trade? Do you settle for less than one perfect stat, or do you go for one - or two?

Forkball

I'd get it if I could easily transfer my Pokemon from Diamond to Platinum. But Nintendo decided to make it impossible, so no sale unless a second DS falls from the sky and into my lap.

I really don't see Nintendo making a G/S remake considering all of the Pokemon could be captured with FR/LG/R/S/D/P, so it's not like people can't get those Pokemon right now. It is an incredible game though and still does things better than D/P in some ways (Pokemon Radio, better time based events, Rival was actually pretty evil instead of a dork).

Recently I've been playing Pokemon Diamond after two years of not touching it. The game gets a lot of unjustified hate, it does so many things well and I am constantly discovering new things I didn't notice the first time around. I've been doing a lot of online trades recently. Some people are really generous, giving me Pokemon for practically nothing, but the GTS is pretty bad since everyone wants legendaries/event Pokemon for even the most common Pokemon.

Delio

Cocopjojo said:
I've been wanting to get into battling, but the EV-training that you have to do is really intimidating. I know how to do it, but it just seems so tedious and time-consuming... to the competitive battlers on here: do you train your Pokemon yourselves or do you trade for them? What do you trade? Do you settle for less than one perfect stat, or do you go for one - or two?

I try to get two perfect Ivs but it takes a longgg time to even get one with good nature and such.

Cocopjojo said:

EV training actually isn't that bad, especially in the 4th gen games. The Power items really speed up the training process (vitamins and Pokerus help too!). As long as you can stomach the slow animations Jiggy mentioned earlier, it really isn't that tedious. Especially after you've done it a few times and you figure out the most efficient training locations.

IV breeding on the other hand...

As such, specific training of EVs is more or less mandatory if you want to play competitively. It's simple enough to do that a large majority of players will do it; if you don't, you'll be disadvantaged for sure. IV breeding (which takes even more time and patience) is thankfully less important - the Speed stat is the only one you really want to be perfect since even a 1 point difference can impact the battle significantly.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Ooh, I meant IV-breeding. That's what I was talking about. Haha. It's been a while since I've done it. Wait, so most players only breed for a perfect speed IV?

Firestorm

Cocopjojo said:
Ooh, I meant IV-breeding. That's what I was talking about. Haha. It's been a while since I've done it. Wait, so most players only breed for a perfect speed IV?
Yeah. I mean, you want something fairly high in the stats you need (spdef/def depending on what kind of tank or atk/sptak depending on what type of sweeper), but really it's the speed I think most people are anal over.

You could even just sorta half-ass it and go for 15+ in the stats (except speed where it really matters) and do pretty well.

Cocopjojo said:

Well, that depends on how dedicated and competitive you want to be. ;)

And the reason why it's less important to get WHOAMG PURRFECT on the non-Speed stats is because luck will generally impact the amount of damage an attack does moreso than a handful of IVs. The difference between minimum damage and maximum damage of any attack not named Seismic Toss, Night Shade, Dragon Rage, etc. is 15%. Check to see how much your final stats differ when the IV is 31 as opposed to 15 or 20 or 25.

That's not to say that higher IVs don't help because they do. But there is a point where breeding for a few extra IVs doesn't justify the extra amount of time hatching eggs due to diminishing returns.

Delio

Totally true. If i get something during my breeding that has great speed IV and decent everything else i go with it.

Jiggy

I used to go for at least two perfect stats or bust, but then I thought it over and realized I kept giving up things like 24/26/25/x/21/31 in favor of 11/31/17/x/12/31 and it just didn't make sense to go that way. So here's the formula:

HP - Worry about this if you're a Pokemon who wants to take hits with your great defenses, but have horrible HP. Dusknoir and Spiritomb, in other words.
Attack - Worry about this if you're a Pokemon who hits hard but will never outrun much of anything. Snorlax and Machamp would be examples.
Defense - Worry about this if you're a Pokemon who wants the ability to take hits with your great HP, but have below-average physical defense. I can think of Drifblim off the top of my head.
Speed - Worry about this if you're a Pokemon who has the potential to outrun others--which would be most things in the game, really.

Special Attack, Special Defense - See Attack and Defense.

So yeah, Speed is generally the important one.

comedy bomb said:
I have never played a Pokemon game. Would this be a good one to start with?
Well, Platinum would almost literally have to double the battle speed of D/P to catch up to the speed of Emerald or Fire Red/Leaf Green, but the multiplayer is much deeper by now--and as for single-player, the fourth generation does have my favorite region.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Awesome. I thought that all the pro players bred for like months to get 31s in everything... Haha. I'll probably look on smogon to try and figure out a good team.

nubbe

I have breed an Aggron with 4 perfect stats and it got the wrong ability

BREEDIGN ARRRRGGHH

Breeding is still a to big timesink :|

Jiggy

Cocopjojo said:
Awesome. I thought that all the pro players bred for like months to get 31s in everything... Haha. I'll probably look on smogon to try and figure out a good team.
I'm sure some people do, and even I have a couple Pokemon with four or five 31s that just happened to pop out, but the parents can only pass down three stats--so getting all six (or all five if one doesn't matter) really would take months, as you said.

I guess if they're really confident about one specific team, that's great, but I prefer making dozens of lesser Pokemon and being able to experiment with all sorts of combinations instead of trying to perfect a single formula. It's both a weakness and a strength, I suppose.

Issun23

Thanks to this thread I bought my first DS and Diamond in anticipation of Platinum's European release in May. Played the game for one hour yesterday, which I'm sure will be the first in a hundred or so till I get hold of Platinum. Awesome stuff. :D

Still on the fence if I'm buying Platinum. I have Diamond and I'm thinking of picking up Valkyrie Profile and Suikoden. Don't have that much moneyz.

Teknoman

Just realized you can hotswap cards using the DSi
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXFokNOeeMs&feature=related

Not sure if that could have been used in some way for d/p to plat transfering.

Forget IVs, i'll do EV training since it's easy for the most part (with good areas anyway) and enjoy the single player story, but IV breeding is where I draw the line.

Hope lots of GAF either bring their D/P out of retirement, or go with Platinum for all the new stuff/wi-fi events and improvements...because if not, i'll have to resort to serebii.net or gamefaqs for battles...

Though I wont be starting until DSi's release date.

Cant wait to try out online co-op battles, though I wish they had co-op battles against humans rather than just battle frontier stuff.

Hive

Banned
You could make a case that these are some of the least complicated games, since 5-year old kids are playing them.

But can't you also make the case that this is one of the most complicated games, depending on how u want to go about playing them?

There is just so much to do/know/figure out, that it seems really overwhelming~

Teknoman

shykyoichi said:
Still on the fence if I'm buying Platinum. I have Diamond and I'm thinking of picking up Valkyrie Profile and Suikoden. Don't have that much moneyz.

Buy Suikoden and Platinum. Problem solved :D

Jiggy said:
Eh, I don't really see any Mario Kart going on anymore--in the last six months or so we've pretty much just shifted from 10-15 days of discussion about one big game to 10-15 days of discussion about the next, like Tales of Vesperia, Mega Man 9, Kirby Super Star Ultra, Mother 3, Castlevania: OoE, Tales of Symphonia: DotNW, Chrono Trigger, Fire Emblem, Retro Game Challenge, Madworld, Dragon Quest V... I know the place was really heavy on L4D at one point too, although I can't remember if that was in the last six months.

But yeah, there are still some random Smash diehards for whatever reason. And if anyone just wants to talk games as opposed to actually playing anything, we spend a ton of time doing that. Just be prepared to encounter an altogether-too-large number of freaky personalities. :p
:p

Sounds like a nice place!

Ravidrath

Hive said:
You could make a case that these are some of the least complicated games, since 5-year old kids are playing them.

But can't you also make the case that this is one of the most complicated games, depending on how u want to go about playing them?

There is just so much to do/know/figure out, that it seems really overwhelming~

That's pretty much the beauty of the game, though - you can play it as long as you want to, and go as deep as you want to.

I'm sure a lot of people only play it long enough to get through the single player, for about 20 hours. Then more people probably just try to catch them all, which takes significantly more time. Then there's the ultra-hardcore multiplayer crowd, who go into IV breeding, EV training, etc.

People complain about a lot of the MP stats and stuff being hidden, but I think it's probably for the best, given the wide variety of people the game attracts. If you try to teach kids about EVs and IVs and all that stuff explicitly, you're likely to lose them and make them think the game is more complicated for their purposes than it actually is, or that they need to know that stuff in order to play through it.

Bit-Bit

I started retraining my Diamond pokemon and realized that I still have not transferred my LeafGreen pokemon yet. So than I go to get the game and guess what? I can't find my LeafGreen.

I need my MewTwo!!! It is the only Legendary that I use and have trained to perfection.

Teknoman

Ravidrath said:
That's pretty much the beauty of the game, though - you can play it as long as you want to, and go as deep as you want to.

I'm sure a lot of people only play it long enough to get through the single player, for about 20 hours. Then more people probably just try to catch them all, which takes significantly more time. Then there's the ultra-hardcore multiplayer crowd, who go into IV breeding, EV training, etc.

People complain about a lot of the MP stats and stuff being hidden, but I think it's probably for the best, given the wide variety of people the game attracts. If you try to teach kids about EVs and IVs and all that stuff explicitly, you're likely to lose them and make them think the game is more complicated for their purposes than it actually is, or that they need to know that stuff in order to play through it.

Cant you just pull a Disgaea style explanation where they tell you its not really important? Thats what they did there for the item world and other things.

DarkWish

vhfive said:
i forgot all about battle animations because i always turn it off at the beginning of the game

also on the fence if i'm going to get this or not

on one hand i gotta catch'em all on the other hand recession
You can turn them off? I need to find this option. I didn't know you could do that.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
DarkWish said:
You can turn them off? I need to find this option. I didn't know you could do that.
Yup. IIRC, it's next to the option that speeds up the text scrolling.

vhfive

DarkWish said:
you be amazed at the time it saves. i went through fire red 3 times to get all the legendary dogs
yea i could've traded but there is something about getting it yourself
and i was able to beat the elite 4 in about 16 hours (with no traded pokemon).

Teknoman

Maybe they should just pull a Dragon Quest or Shin Megami Tensei where the animations are great looking but fast? Doesn't that make it a little boring visually with just damage indications popping up?

Then again I never turned off animations, so im not sure how it would look.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Teknoman said:
Maybe they should just pull a Dragon Quest or Shin Megami Tensei where the animations are great looking but fast? Doesn't that make it a little boring visually with just damage indications popping up?

It looks dumb. In my opinion, haha. But the folks that want them turned off want it to look boring, so... they're okay with that.

Balb

Teknoman said:

I agree with you about not turning off animations in the single player mode. However, online matches usually take 50+ turns, and having sandstorm can add 5-10 minutes to a battle.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
sk3tch said:
I wonder if this will work with Pokemon: Battle Revolution? Not like it's a big deal...but it'd be nice.
I would assume it would act like most of the rest of the games have always done - it will support it, but not the "new" stuff, like Giratina's Origin form, Shaymin's Sky Form, and stuff like that.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I have a friend who had a perfect IV Ditto on his Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald/Fire Red/Leaf Green carts that he transfered to and from each one as he needed.

Needless to say, he was overjoyed that you could transfer from 3rd gen to 4th gen viathe GBA slot. :lol

Top Bottom