• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Pokemon Platinum Thread of Catching Them All (Again)

• Thread starter Deleted member 21120
  • Start date

Ravidrath

Bit-Bit said:
Anyone know of a way to get Arcaneus the god pokemon?

It'll be given out when the next movie is released in Japan this summer, and later as a Wi-Fi downloadable key item.

We'll get it around the time the movie is released here, probably in Q1 the following year.

lucablight said:
I missed out on the GBA gen pokemon games. Should I bother playing them at all or can I skip straight to this?

I'd say skip to this one, and if you end up loving it and want all the legendaries from the last gen, you can play them and you'll be all set to transfer them over.

nubbe

lucablight said:
I missed out on the GBA gen pokemon games. Should I bother playing them at all or can I skip straight to this?
You would miss out on the epic story
It will change how you view the world and your life.

Teknoman

Bit-Bit said:
Anyone know of a way to get Arceus the god pokemon?

Probably will get the flute eventually via Wi-Fi mystery gift.

Also new updates about platinum at serebii (just name changes and talking about a place where you can re-battle Gym Leaders).

lucablight said:

I recently got into Pokemon. I really, honestly did not like Emerald, I did not like the region or the Pokemon design of said region. I really loved Fire Red/Leaf Green though, this remake has been my favorite, the sprites are even better than Emerald in my opinion.

nubbe said:
You would miss out on the epic story
It will change how you view the world and your life.

:lol

groudonkyogreandrayquazpp7.jpg

Firestorm

Teknoman said:
Maybe they should just pull a Dragon Quest or Shin Megami Tensei where the animations are great looking but fast? Doesn't that make it a little boring visually with just damage indications popping up?

Then again I never turned off animations, so im not sure how it would look.
No animation would still be faster. It just gets repetitive, that's all. If the animations were for a reason, that'd be something else. But in Pokemon it just doesn't matter for me. Pokemon is just a more fun version of Chess to me =)

Shiggie

Ravidrath said:
Whoa, WTF happened? :eek:
Top screen all of a sudden stopped working. I got a replacement screen and It was working when I tried it out before I fully reassembled the system. when I finally put it all together... it stopped working. It turns on but no screen turns on and I hear no sound. I got mad and now its just sitting there in a million pieces. :(

Barrett2

Shiggie said:
Also im Thinking of getting a DS off this eBay seller. Or should I wait for DSi.

You know, at this point you might just want to wait for the DSi, if you think you will use its functions. Its pretty close to release.

Shiggie

lawblob said:
You know, at this point you might just want to wait for the DSi, if you think you will use its functions. Its pretty close to release.
Yeah, ill do that. Soo many good games out now tho....

harSon

Banned
I haven't played Pokemon since I was 9-10ish when Red/Blue came out, should I start out with Platinum or just skip ahead to Pearl/Diamond?

Firestorm

harSon said:
I haven't played Pokemon since I was 9-10ish when Red/Blue came out, should I start out with Platinum or just skip ahead to Pearl/Diamond?
Might as well get Platinum. It's the Yellow of this generation.

Blizzard

Banned
What the heck. I haven't played Diamond or Pearl in a long time despite buying a bunch of those games and being excited about the release (those games made me finally get my first non-PC gaming system ever, a DS Lite). I never even finished the game, with the last co-op section, and didn't get all the legendaries. I didn't even feel like I cared so I didn't go recently to get the little porcupine and regigigigigigigas. I did go in Toys R Us a while back to get Darkrai, though.

But now, I have the inexplicable urge to spend $30 on this game. WHY AM I THIS WAY. ;_;

*insert old-timer bragging about how in his teenage years he made the first online Pokemon battle simulator ever, etc. etc. etc.*

vhfive

harSon said:
you wont be "skipping ahead" if you play diamond/pearl if anything your going backwards. think of platinum as pokemon yellow to red/blue
minus that annoying pikachu

so what im saying is get platinum.

edit: or look 2 posts up

Guled

for those who live in Canada, if you buy the game from bestbuy, you get the strategy guide for free. The SG looks good (624 pages, full pokedex) so take advantage of the deal

Can someone please trade me a clones version of the Toys R Us Regigigas? I can't make it to the store today or tomorrow, and I really want this to let me do that special thing in Platinum.

How does this differ from me just going to the store, other then not getting a Wondercard? Can I still do the special thing it lets my do in Platinum?

Captain N

Guled said:
for those who live in Canada, if you buy the game from bestbuy, you get the strategy guide for free. The SG looks good (624 pages, full pokedex) so take advantage of the deal

The guide is HUGE!!! I'm tempted to get it Sunday

CoolS

So wait, it will be possible to get the tickets (or whatever it is) for the legendaries via internet in this one? meaning I don't have to wait for these stupid events, which never happen anyway here in germany?

Or did i misunderstand that? :(

Teknoman

Guled said:

WAT. Damn you and your non-US deals best buy!

Blizzard said:
*insert old-timer bragging about how in his teenage years he made the first online Pokemon battle simulator ever, etc. etc. etc.*

Did you?

Captain N

Doesn't a game like Platinum allow you to pick from 4 starting Pokemon compared to 3? That might have just been Pokemon Yellow that did that..I can't recall right now.

Balb

Captain N said:
Doesn't a game like Platinum allow you to pick from 4 starting Pokemon compared to 3? That might have just been Pokemon Yellow that did that..I can't recall right now.

No game has ever allowed you to pick 4 (including Platinum). In Yellow your starter was always Pikachu, though you could obtain Squirtle, Charmander and Bulbasaur a bit later in the game.

CoolS said:
So wait, it will be possible to get the tickets (or whatever it is) for the legendaries via internet in this one? meaning I don't have to wait for these stupid events, which never happen anyway here in germany?

Nintendo still does the events. You might be out of luck, though many legendary Pokemon are obtainable without events these days (Mew, Manaphy, etc).

Captain N

Balb said:
No game has ever allowed you to pick 4 (including Platinum). In Yellow your starter was always Pikachu, though you could obtain Squirtle, Charmander and Bulbasaur a bit later in the game.

That's right! I knew there was something different about Yellow. I forgot they forced Pikachu on everyone since the tv show was so popular at the time.

Teknoman

CoolS said:

With Platinum, you should be able to get legendaries only accessible with certain items via wi-fi mystery gift. They really shouldn't have to hold any events unless its a really special promotional thing.

Balb

Teknoman said:
With Platinum, you should be able to get legendaries only accessible with certain items via wi-fi mystery gift. They really shouldn't have to hold any events unless its a really special promotional thing.

Do you have any links about the Wi-Fi mystery gift thing? I haven't read too much into the new features of Platinum, so this is new to me. I know that they still hold events in Japan post-Platinum, though.

Teknoman

Balb said:
Do you have any links about the Wi-Fi mystery gift thing? I haven't read too much into the new features of Platinum, so this is new to me. I know that they still hold events in Japan post-Platinum, though.

Well from the official Nintendo site:

xgjo5x.jpg

You can only get the rotom items through wi-fi mystery gift, so we should get the extra pokemon lair items via that as well.

And serebii.net makes mention of those as well.
http://www.serebii.net/platinum/wifievents.shtml

Japan does wi-fi mystery gifts now that all three versions are out, but also still seem to hold events for promo related stuff (movies, tournaments, etc.)

Teknoman

Oh and some interesting stuff from today's IGN interview with Game Freak director Junichi Masuda and game designer Takeshi Kawachimaru:

http://ds.ign.com/articles/965/965073p1.html

IGN: What are some of the major changes for the Distortion World?

Kawachimaru: The focus for the Distortion world is, of course, Giratina. So from the beginning, the concept has been how Giratina fits in the world. Mr Masuda explained to me what the distortion world is and what kind of Pokemon Giratina is. So base don that we created new music and something very visual. So as soon as you go into the distortion world, everyone will understand how different that world is. That was something very important we always kept in mind.

Junichi Masuda: When I created the music for battling Giratina, I thought of the front/back, life/death. There's bipolar, opposite ideas. So that's something I kept in mind when I created the battle music.

Really liked the battle and environment themes in D/P, so cant wait to hear whats up in the Distortion world.

IGN: The Pokemon series has stayed very similar throughout it's lifespan. Are there plans to revamp the game and give it an overhaul?

Masuda: Yes, I understand that people talk about the strength and weakness of the series. And we always make our effort to increase the good things about Pokemon. There is something we want to improve and enhance all the time. There are lots of ideas out there and we want to make that idea realized to enhance the gameplay of Pokemon. There is some day soon that we can make an announcement about new stuff, so that's something you can look forward to.

Wonder if this will have something to do with the next Wii game as well? Also I like how they are aiming to make the main series Pokemon game stories even more serious with each iteration. Didn't think they actually held in office staff tournaments though.

EDIT: Looking at the new Platinum sprites, seems like they gave most of the Pokemon a more aggressive/ less stoic looking pose.

dcvggg.jpg

Platinum on the left, D/P on the right.

Jiggy

Another really good interview:

http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/6...atinum-Particle-Physics-Bridges-And-More.html

“The reason why we put things like IVs and EVs into the game is because we wanted to give players that are really into Pokemon battles much more to work with and much more to enjoy. We have a team that’s dedicated to constantly enhancing and evolving the battle system. [...] They always listen to player feedback and they battle a lot themselves. This team is the reason why Pokemon has such a rich battle system that’s always evolving.”

Let nobody ever claim you've gone against "the point of the series," dear serious battlers. :O The creators know and love you along with everyone else. :p

As for single-player fans:

"Takeshi Kawachimaru: I was the one that set the direction for Platinum. Mr. Masuda came to me and explained the original concept for the Pokemon Giratina. He mentioned anti-matter as something -- it's there, but it's something you can't see. Mr. Masuda gave me a lot of key concepts to design around -- matter, antimatter, Einstein's theory of relativity. I was the one that had to make those concepts a realization in a Pokemon game -- both visually and implementing certain tricks into the gameplay to give the player a sense of bipolarity."

It's a great interview, honestly, and I'm not even quoting the love of bridges. Go read it.

Well, I'm back from the Nintendo World one-day-before launch thing for this game. Fun time in line, I got there before 9 am and there were guys who stood the evening before. The kid in front of me was a super-fan, and was so excited to try to get one of the random signed-by-developers copies. He got it, needless to say.

There was a weird dude walking up and down the line apparently doling out a Deoxys and Shaymin through wifi Mystery Gift. Very odd, I kinda suspect he was bugging everyone's game with something. Even more suspicious was the signal within Nintendo World store with the strange and offensively-named Gengar. In any case, I've got Platinum now and I'm content.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Didn't realize this was coming out already. Got my call from GS to go and pick it up tomorrow...
Shoulda known the NWS would have something planned. I almost feel bad for not going.

mattso

I'm getting pretty excited about this. I don't know if I'll get super hardcore again into battling like I was with diamond but I am definitely looking forward to playing the game again and enjoying all the goodies this one has to offer.

I have to run a few errands tomorrow that will take me buy a toys r us, gamestop, and k-mart so I figure I shouldn't have too much of a problem picking this up.

unless I'm underestimating pre-orders for this but I did the same when diamond/pearl came out with no problem.

Between trading over a few extra pokemon I want to use as co-starters and then eventually all the ones I ev-trained/legendaries/etc I'll probably end up with a few boxes full of bidoofs on my diamond. :lol

Captain N

The Gamestop by me will be opening at 9 A.M...so I'll head over there while going out to getting some breakfest. yippie!

Even though Gamestop opens at 9AM to sell this I think my 24 hour Wal-Mart will begin selling it at midnight like they always do with street dated games. After they tried to screw me out of my Suikoden pre-order bonus I don't want to give them my money anymore. :lol

I just hope they carry that 600+ page guide too. Thick guides are awesome.

eznark

Banned
I will try again. Diamond was my first attempt at a Pokemon game. Fun but not enough to keep me interested. Hopefully this one is different.

baka kitsune said:
I just hope they carry that 600+ page guide too. Thick guides are awesome.

My first impression of that thing was that it was bigger than the Fallout 3 guide. I need to confirm this personally when my Amazon order comes in.

Also, turns out that Gengar I mentioned was a messed up hack being sent out by some fat dude cosplaying as James. He looked more grotesque than the neighborhood tranny. :lol

Balb

eznark said:
I will try again. Diamond was my first attempt at a Pokemon game. Fun but not enough to keep me interested. Hopefully this one is different.

It's more or less a refined version of D/P, in case you didn't know.

ShinoguTakeruKoeru said:
Also, turns out that Gengar I mentioned was a messed up hack being sent out by some fat dude cosplaying as James. He looked more grotesque than the neighborhood tranny. :lol

teamrocket.jpg

(no I didn't take the picture. It came from a photobucket link shared by a friend)

Guled

ShinoguTakeruKoeru said:
My first impression of that thing was that it was bigger than the Fallout 3 guide. I need to confirm this personally when my Amazon order comes in.

the fallout guide is 464 pages while the pokemon is 624, its much thicker

Top Bottom