• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Pokemon Platinum Thread of Catching Them All (Again)

• Thread starter Deleted member 21120
  • Start date
I just beat the Elite 4 last night and reached Kanto. I'm kind of lost on what to do here though. Am I supposed to try and make it to Pallet town? It looks like it will be a long hard journey there with all the trainers on the way. Or should I just do whatever I happen to run into?

woops wrong thread

Excuse the bump, perhaps this could be moved to Community? Anyone want to trade me a Larvitar in Platinum? I'm starting a new playthrough, just got my Shinx up to level 14 and thought before I get toooo far, I get that Larvitar, thanks!

Kokonoe

Banned
Excuse the bump, perhaps this could be moved to Community? Anyone want to trade me a Larvitar in Platinum? I'm starting a new playthrough, just got my Shinx up to level 14 and thought before I get toooo far, I get that Larvitar, thanks!

Sure, I'll help you out. I have a shiny one, is that fine? I don't have a normal one, haha.

And Shinx? That Pokemon becomes one of the coolest Pokemon ever. Luxray is so awesome, it along with Dialga are my two favorite Pokemon of Gen IV.

P2N1F6N.png
3GrZhMu.png

You're kind of making me want to play some Platinum right now!

Sure, I'll help you out. I have a shiny one, is that fine? I don't have a normal one, haha.

And Shinx? That Pokemon becomes one of the coolest Pokemon ever. Luxray is so awesome, it along with Dialga are my two favorite Pokemon of Gen IV.

P2N1F6N.png
3GrZhMu.png

You're kind of making me want to play some Platinum right now!

Luxray is really awesome, I was surprised at how cool Shinx became when he evolved and thanks, a shiny Larvitar is cool, I've never had a shiny Pokemon before!

Dialga is so cool looking...and he controls time, now that's my kind of Pokemon!

Kokonoe

Banned
Luxray is really awesome, I was surprised at how cool Shinx became when he evolved and thanks, a shiny Larvitar is cool, I've never had a shiny Pokemon before!

Dialga is so cool looking...and he controls time, now that's my kind of Pokemon!

Well, it's time you shall! I'll PM you my FC.

Actually...turning this on right now, after we're done I'm going to work on another playthrough myself and post here. I still need to catch Arceus sometime...somehow. lol

Larvitar is a great pokemon, Gen II really had some amazing designs, that and Gen I.

Which starter did you pick? I think I'm gonna go with Piplup this time since I usually go with Turtwig.

Well, it's time you shall! I'll PM you my FC.

Actually...turning this on right now, after we're done I'm going to work on another playthrough myself and post here. I still need to catch Arceus sometime...somehow. lol

Larvitar is a great pokemon, Gen II really had some amazing designs, that and Gen I.

Which starter did you pick? I think I'm gonna go with Piplup this time since I usually go with Turtwig.

Thanks for the trade, I really like Larvitar, he's one of my favorites from Gen 2! I knew as soon as I saw him in Gen 2, I just had to have one. I agree on the designs of Gen 2 and 1...another one of my favs is Mareep, I always have to get one when I start up a new save.

Hmmm, I went with Chimchar...again lol. I try to pick other starters but I like Chimchar and especially Monferno's designs so it's hard to get away from them.

Good, good. Piplup is the best because he evolves into the badass Empoleon :)

Or just keep two on hand, have a Piplup because he's super cute and then Empoleon because he crushes anything with his iron...errr...wings!

Kokonoe

Banned
Walking around now, wow I forgot how much I missed this game. I like how it's completely flat with the camera, it doesn't distort the sprites due to the angle the camera is positioned. Looks great.

Haha same here. It's my second favorite Pokemon game of all time. I wonder how much playtime I've put into it.
Boot that sucka up!
Good, good. Piplup is the best because he evolves into the badass Empoleon :)

Tuxedo Mask....the penguin.

But are you really gonna say that's the best when we got a CONTINENT POKEMON?

GiIbBxc.png

let da battlez begins
Thanks for the trade, I really like Larvitar, he's one of my favorites from Gen 2! I knew as soon as I saw him in Gen 2, I just had to have one. I agree on the designs of Gen 2 and 1...another one of my favs is Mareep, I always have to get one when I start up a new save.

Hmmm, I went with Chimchar...again lol. I try to pick other starters but I like Chimchar and especially Monferno's designs so it's hard to get away from them.

Anytime! Haha, you have great taste. =) I love Mareep, although I wonder if a jacket made of it would shock you lol.

Monferno is tubular.

qq more

Checking my Platinum team... Playtime was 94 hours by the way.

LV 75 Rayquaza (imported from Emerald)
LV 75 Persian (imported from Fire Red)
LV 69 Dragonite (Egg came from Fire Red, raised in Platinum)
LV 72 Pikablu (Azumarill) (Emerald)
LV 54 Torterra
LV 49 Espeon

oh god

where is my Rotom? I can't find him!

Maybe he's in Heart Gold...

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I feel like platinum doesn't get enough love. It really is one of the best games in the franchise.

Kokonoe

Banned
I think I may like HeartGold more than Platinum, but I consider Platinum the greatest DS Pokemon game. I think one part is because DPP were original experiences based off the hardware and use their own graphics and style, while HGSS kind of use the Platinum assets and style and doesn't do a whole lot to really separate itself from what was done previously on the DS. It's not a bad remake, it's just lacking the charm of the original Gold and Silver and what makes a Pokemon game special when it first lands on new hardware.

I feel like platinum doesn't get enough love. It really is one of the best games in the franchise.

Yeah, people want to complain "it's slow", nonsense. Fast enough to me! Plus it has flashier attack effects than BW so there's that.

MikeMyers

Was it the speed?

I tried to Garchomp sweep, but after Jolteon, his Luxray OHKO'd me with Ice Fang.

I sent out Gyarados for the Intimidate, and thought he was gonna die to anything so just pressed Dragon Dance for the lols but surprisingly he survived the Thunder Fang! After that I just spammed Aqua Tail and swept him.

Edit: I think it was actually Garchomp's mid evolution, forgot its name.

qq more

I beat Volkner with Gyarados, true story.
Given the double weakness.. daymn son! That's awesome!

I think I may like HeartGold more than Platinum, but I consider Platinum the greatest DS Pokemon game. I think one part is because DPP were original experiences based off the hardware and use their own graphics and style, while HGSS kind of use the Platinum assets and style and doesn't do a whole lot to really separate itself from what was done previously on the DS. It's not a bad remake, it's just lacking the charm of the original Gold and Silver and what makes a Pokemon game special when it first lands on new hardware.

I really wish the GB Player was unlocked from the beginning. It would've been so nice to experience HGSS with Gameboy music from start to end. I don't like the remake's remixes as much as the originals.

qq more

why are pokemon games so damn expensive ?
Used games wise?

No idea. I'm kind of shocked the most of the GB Pokemon games aren't less than 20 dollars or something given how common they are.

EDIT: woah woah when the heck did the DS games (used price) went above 35 on Amazon!??? I see Soul Silver going for about 50. Holy shit, you were not kidding.

dear lawd and Arceus, nooooo.

soon there will be clones of them

and they will end us all

ono

Kokonoe

Banned
I sold Pokemon Battle Revolution, which was the first Pokemon game I ever sold. (good riddance)

Although, think I'll get it again to have some 3D battles.

Used games wise?

No idea. I'm kind of shocked the most of the GB Pokemon games aren't less than 20 dollars or something given how common they are.

EDIT: woah woah when the heck did the DS games (used price) went above 35 on Amazon!??? I see Soul Silver going for about 50. Holy shit, you were not kidding.

soon there will be clones of them

and they will end us all

ono

How much is the HeartGold Box going for? I still have my box.

BrFM8nPl.jpg

I sold my complete copies of Fire Red and Emerald when I was a bit desperate for money a few years back.

I regretted it sooo much.

You did bad to sell Emerald but Fire Red is a poor replacement for the originals, they tried but it just doesn't measure up to the originals.

I sold Pokemon Battle Revolution, which was the first Pokemon game I ever sold. (good riddance)

Although, think I'll get it again to have some 3D battles.

How much is the HeartGold Box going for? I still have my box.

BrFM8nPl.jpg

3D Pokemon battles are Pro.

qq more

I mean the packaging.
Oops, misread sorry.

I see a copy (without the Ho-Oh stuff) with everything but the game going for 40 as Buy It Now.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pokemon-Hea...802?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a2cc5b0da

You did bad to sell Emerald but Fire Red is a poor replacement for the originals, they tried but it just doesn't measure up to the originals.

I like Fire Red/Leaf Green .-. I thought they were good remakes, although nothing special. It was a nice way to play them with an updated battle system.

Emerald was what got me back into Pokemon, I wish I never sold that.

Glad I still have my original copies of Blue and Gold.

Kokonoe

Banned

3D Pokemon battles are Pro.
Yeah, I agree with ya on both of those!

Also, I like to play Pokemon Yellow when I want to spice things up, the anime styled sprites are boss.

Oops, misread sorry.

I see a copy (without the Ho-Oh stuff) with everything but the game going for 40.

Wow. Looks like I got the blingbling, but I won't give up this box for nothing. I have the HeartGold, it stays with me for life.

Oops, misread sorry.

I see a copy (without the Ho-Oh stuff) with everything but the game going for 40 as Buy It Now.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pokemon-Hea...802?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a2cc5b0da

I like Fire Red/Leaf Green .-. I thought they were good remakes, although nothing special. It was a nice way to play them with an updated battle system.

Emerald was what got me back into Pokemon, I wish I never sold that.

Glad I still have my original copies of Blue and Gold.

It was okay at first but I thought they just lacked the charm of the originals. They can do if you can't find the originals anywhere but I'll always recommend the original games.

Yeah, I agree with ya on both of those!

Also, I like to play Pokemon Yellow when I want to spice things up, the anime styled sprites are boss.

Wow. Looks like I got the blingbling, but I won't give up this box for nothing. I have the HeartGold, it stays with me for life.

Pokemon Yellow...one of the best for also giving us the option to have a Pokemon (in this case Pikachu) following after you...that feature should always be there.

I need to find a way to hack Rayquaza into Red and Blue. lol

Rayquaza was my bro in Emerald, after all that hard work to get him, I sure as hell was gonna unleash him on the Elite Four.

http://pkmn.net/?action=content&page=viewpage&id=8560

IDK why but Electrode's exaggerated grin amuses me lol

Also, FR/LG were fine Gameplay-wise and Graphics-wise. But... the music... I was definitely not feeling it.

8 bit music is just too good.

Kokonoe

Banned
http://pkmn.net/?action=content&page=viewpage&id=8560

IDK why but Electrode's exaggerated grin amuses me lol

Also, FR/LG were fine Gameplay-wise and Graphics-wise. But... the music... I was definitely not feeling it.

Lupin the 3rd Electrode

Gameplay, I'm too tired to get into that, I do prefer how Pokemon played before Ruby and Sapphire, however. Nothing awful about the battling, though, I mean I play competitively in Black and White so, yeah. lol (I'll address why I like the older battling when I wake up)

Music, I mean it may not be as good as the originals, but I do like it. (Viridian Forest original cannot be touched)

Graphics is my main complaint with it. I've already shown before how the Pokemon center reuses assets and how it's just essentially Pokemon Red and Blue in Ruby and Sapphire. I honestly think RSE look better. More charming themeing. When looking at FRLG, it looks so blank and empty, I mean just walk arould cerulean city, they failed in my viewpoint to update the look to where it would make more sense for it.

Lupin the 3rd Electrode

Gameplay, I'm too tired to get into that, I do prefer how Pokemon played before Ruby and Sapphire, however. Nothing awful about the battling, though, I mean I play competitively in Black and White so, yeah. lol (I'll address why I like the older battling when I wake up)

Music, I mean it may not be as good as the originals, but I do like it. (Viridian Forest original cannot be touched)

Graphics is my main complaint with it. I've already shown before how the Pokemon center reuses assets and how it's just essentially Pokemon Red and Blue in Ruby and Sapphire. I honestly think RSE look better. More charming themeing. When looking at FRLG, it looks so blank and empty, I mean just walk arould cerulean city, they failed in my viewpoint to update the look to where it would make more sense for it.

They should have went with a different look for FR/LG...those graphics worked well with RSE but here? Naaaaaaah...everything just looks so clean.

qq more

Lupin the 3rd Electrode
LOL Pretty much

It's more of the stuff outside of the battle system I enjoyed most in FR/LG. Mainly the features GSC and RSE introduced such as the improved Inventory system and the Running Shoes.

Looking forward to what you'll write about the battle system.

There were definitely some good tracks for sure. Lake Of Rage's remix is probably my favorite along with the Champion theme. The really weak ones I felt were some of the route music along with the Wild Battle theme. The soundtrack felt really mixed to me. Although it's been a while since I last gave them a listen.

I personally like the graphics. They were pretty simple and somehow gave that old-school vibe... hard to explain it. I really like its palette especially. Although I'm a sucker for simple visuals.

entremet

Fancy that. Just finished Platinum. Great game, but way too slow after Gen V. It's crazy how fast Gen V is. You don't even notice until you play a Gen IV game.

Top Bottom