• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Pokemon Platinum Thread of Catching Them All (Again)

• Thread starter Deleted member 21120
  • Start date

Giard

Gahhhhh I finally have a wireless router, but the DS doesn't support its security settings...goddammit
I wanted to do battles :(

jrricky

Banned
God, just remembered that this game is still in my backlog. I need to find time to finish it completely before the next one comes out...;_;

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Shiggie said:
anyone know a way to trade items for heart scales? Im too lazy to go underground.
There's some NPC in Platinum that will hand out a daily heart scale for some menial task. I think it's the newspaper guy in Solaceon that asks to see a random Pokemon each day.

Not positive on that, but I do recall that this particular heart scale reward I'm thinking of only applies to Plat and not D/P.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Giard said:
Gahhhhh I finally have a wireless router, but the DS doesn't support its security settings...goddammit
I wanted to do battles :(
Just change the router's settings to match what your DS needs. I can't recall exactly, but I know the DS needs WEP or WPA (one or the other). Almost all routers have both of those settings available.

Cocopjojo said:
Just change the router's settings to match what your DS needs. I can't recall exactly, but I know the DS needs WEP or WPA (one or the other). Almost all routers have both of those settings available.

Requires 802.11b WEP

Really annoying for anyone who can't support dual-mode WEP/WPA (like me. sigh)

Shiggie

Sixfortyfive said:
There's some NPC in Platinum that will hand out a daily heart scale for some menial task. I think it's the newspaper guy in Solaceon that asks to see a random Pokemon each day.

Not positive on that, but I do recall that this particular heart scale reward I'm thinking of only applies to Plat and not D/P.
Ill check it out, thanks.

RaidenZR

Did anyone get an Arceus from Toys R Us that they don't mind donating to yours truly? I totally missed this event and it really pisses me off.

Slavik81

grandjedi6 said:
So I gamefly'd Platinum recently, mostly because I actually wanted to get an event pokemon for once. However much to my annoyance, I've discovered that I can't actually get Shaymin until I play through the entire game. So I guess I'm here for the long haul :lol

Current Status:
-Beat Gardenia

Pokemon:
Prinplup - lv. 17
Budew - lv. 15 (waiting for happiness)
Vespiquen - lv. 22
Aipom - lv. 20
Luxio - lv. 17
Interesting. I too just beat Gardenia. My lineup was:

Staravia - lv. 20
Prinplup - lv. 19
Luxio - lv. 18
Kadabra - lv. 17
Onix - lv. 15
Pachirisu - lv. 14

Started playing this again for no apparent reason yesterday :lol
Got myself a sick Prinplup and a shynix and for some reason I have no desire to catch anything else because I know il find it later at a much higher level ;/

Edit: why am I reading this shit :lol I do this everytime I start it up, reading about EV trainign and shineys and all that. How are people trading with themselves btw? Using two DS's or online posting with bizarre requirments that I used to read about or something else?

Holy hell is this game harder than the other versions? I must have lost 8 times to the second gym leader and thats NEVER happened in any version ever :lol Leveling up lower ones seems to take ages aswell :/

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
Johnlenham said:
Holy hell is this game harder than the other versions? I must have lost 8 times to the second gym leader and thats NEVER happened in any version ever :lol Leveling up lower ones seems to take ages aswell :/
Which gym leader? I remember rork's cranidos kicking my ass plenty. Also if you run around with only 2 types of pokemon you might run into trouble.

Sixfortyfive

Easiest way to plow through the campaign of any Pokemon game ever is to just use 2 Pokemon:

- your starter
- one strong guy that covers your starter's major weaknesses
- HM slaves (not used in battles)

And it's best to not add the 2nd guy to the team until your starter can no longer manage everything on its own. Splitting the EXP 2 ways instead of 6 takes out a lot of the tedium.

I got bored of doing this a while back though and played through the entirety of Plat with a full team of 6.

OMG Aero

Reich said:
Any new event on the way?
The European Platinum websites have details on Arceus and its ability so there will probably be an event for it soon.
It'll more than likely be whenever they show the new movie.

Any tips on pokemon to aim for? atm the only decent ones I have are Haunter and whatever pilups evo is (Hes called George :lol )

I picked up a ralts which I remember being ok? I want an Abra but the little shits keep running away :(

Had a face palm moment earlier where I spent my commute back from work levelling up, beating the 3rd gym and then my rival (just) then I go and restore health a I get to my stop, I stand up and turn it off rather than closing.... few seconds pass by then I think "FUCK!" :lol

Johnlenham said:
Any tips on pokemon to aim for? atm the only decent ones I have are Haunter and whatever pilups evo is (Hes called George :lol )

I picked up a ralts which I remember being ok? I want an Abra but the little shits keep running away :(

Haunter is fine, can trade him to turn into Gengar, which is an absolute speed and movetype beast. Not really a ralts fan and psychics are not the tanks they used to be...

What's your team so far, altogether?

Johnlenham said:
Haunter 28, Penguin 28, Luxio 28, Machop 23 er Ralts 18 and Ponyta 16 (only fire pokemon ive found so far :lol )

So...

Ghost/Dark
Water?
Electric
Fighting
Psychic
Fire

That's not too bad, but having so many types in the campaign could slow down your progress. Haunter/Luxio/Machop can probably do most of what you need, though eventually you'll want a ground tank, say a Grass type or beefy fire. Ponyta isn't so good at taking hits. If you can find a move tutor Haunter will be great for your lineup though, Gengar can learn the various elemental punches.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
Crazymoogle said:
So...

Ghost/Dark
Water?
Electric
Fighting
Psychic
Fire

That's not too bad, but having so many types in the campaign could slow down your progress. Haunter/Luxio/Machop can probably do most of what you need, though eventually you'll want a ground tank, say a Grass type or beefy fire. Ponyta isn't so good at taking hits. If you can find a move tutor Haunter will be great for your lineup though, Gengar can learn the various elemental punches.
Punches on gengar? Learn the various elemental special attacks, which are infinitely better on a special attacker. If you get lucky, you can give him a good hidden power for better coverage.

Sixfortyfive

I finished upgrading my trainer card some time ago and am currently attempting to collect every ribbon possible for my starter (Torterra). The only one I have left to get is the co-op Battle Tower ribbon, which I'd have to borrow a friend's DS in order to obtain.

I'm running out of singleplayer tasks to complete. I guess I'm finally ready for HGSS.

Sixfortyfive

Rollo Larson said:
Can I EV train a stat to make up for a low IV?
My piplup has a special defense IV between 0 and 4.
Can EV training that stat make up for it?
Generally, yes, though it depends on what you really want to do with the specific Pokemon.

OMG Aero

Sixfortyfive said:
I finished upgrading my trainer card some time ago and am currently attempting to collect every ribbon possible for my starter (Torterra). The only one I have left to get is the co-op Battle Tower ribbon, which I'd have to borrow a friend's DS in order to obtain.

I'm running out of singleplayer tasks to complete. I guess I'm finally ready for HGSS.
You can play co-op Battle Frontier online so can you get the ribbons that way?

Sixfortyfive

OMG Aero said:
You can play co-op Battle Frontier online so can you get the ribbons that way?
Perhaps, but that would probably be a minor hassle.

I have a friend who plays. Shouldn't be too hard to do it locally.

RaidenZR

I just wanted to bump this to see if anyone had an Arceus from the previous event they didn't want and would consider trading. Please let me know.

OMG Aero

RaidenZR said:
I just wanted to bump this to see if anyone had an Arceus from the previous event they didn't want and would consider trading. Please let me know.
Ravidrath had some cloned Arceus from the event that he was handing out before so you might want to try PMing him to see if he still has any.

Shambles

Question for everyone. I bought Pokemon Diamond for the girlfriend. I bought it from Costco thinking that it was the newer title out of Diamond/Platinum. From what I read it's mostly cosmetic changes and a bit more online support. Is it worth me fighting the crowds at Costco to return Diamon and re-buy Platinum or is it basically going to be the same thing? She is 24 and this will be her first exposure to pokemon. I bought her a DS Lite a couple years ago and gotten her into gaming casually since.

OMG Aero

Shambles said:
Question for everyone. I bought Pokemon Diamond for the girlfriend. I bought it from Costco thinking that it was the newer title out of Diamond/Platinum. From what I read it's mostly cosmetic changes and a bit more online support. Is it worth me fighting the crowds at Costco to return Diamon and re-buy Platinum or is it basically going to be the same thing? She is 24 and this will be her first exposure to pokemon. I bought her a DS Lite a couple years ago and gotten her into gaming casually since.
If it isn't going to cost you anything extra then sure, Platinum is definitely better than Diamond.

Balb

Shambles said:

If it's not too much trouble I'd go with Platinum. It's a superior version all around.

Shambles

OMG Aero said:
If it isn't going to cost you anything extra then sure, Platinum is definitely better than Diamond.

It's more the time and hassle that concerns me more than the 5$ extra. If she wouldn't have noticed a difference from the point of view of a casual gamer I wouldn't bother for cosmetic changes. Since it appears there is a clear cut overall improvement to the game I'll go grab it and just return the other copy when it's more sane out in those stores. :p

I remember looking at Diamond in the store and thinking that the name didn't quite seem right but they had lots of copies of it so I assumed my memory was mistaken. Now I know that there is an original and a remake.

upandaway

There's a list of changes on Serebii.net right here. If you don't understand this page it means you can pretty much ignore it and continue with Diamond. The changes are mostly things that first-timers shouldn't care about, but still give it a look.

By the way, maybe the biggest change to Platinum to you would be that the battles go faster. In Diamond/Pearl it was particularly slow (though not to the level of immense frustration).

Shambles

upandaway said:
There's a list of changes on Serebii.net right here. If you don't understand this page it means you can pretty much ignore it and continue with Diamond. The changes are mostly things that first-timers shouldn't care about, but still give it a look.

By the way, maybe the biggest change to Platinum to you would be that the battles go faster. In Diamond/Pearl it was particularly slow (though not to the level of immense frustration).

With a grinder like Pokemon this alone is worth the upgrade. I've played a bit of Platinum and I still set everything to scroll/display as fast as possible.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Ok, so I'm really feeling like a kid again this Christmas and feel there's a gaping Pokemon-shaped hole that needs filling.

Is Platinum a good place to get back into the quest to catch 'em all?

I played the hell out of R&B/G&S back in the day, and have played a bit of Pearl in Japanese. I always had a fondness for the universe, but have just fallen out of touch, what with all the new creatures TV shows.

I love the idea of playing and trading online, I think that's an amazing step for the series to take. Is it possible to trade and battle between PAL/US/JPN versions? How about previous games or ones yet to come?

I like the look of the new G&S for DS, but it doesn't come out until Feb here, and Christmas will be over by then :lol

Cheers for any input!

You can trade between all regions on platinum and its the most up to date version in europe and america. You can trade to gold and silver when they come out so no need to worry there.

Cant beleive theres still no news on european arceus event...

Sixfortyfive

B-Genius said:
Is Platinum a good place to get back into the quest to catch 'em all?
I think so. Almost every Pokemon to date can be caught in Platinum, and Sinnoh is one of the better regions imo.

I love the idea of playing and trading online, I think that's an amazing step for the series to take. Is it possible to trade and battle between PAL/US/JPN versions? How about previous games or ones yet to come?
I'm not positive, but I *think* cross-region play is possible. Platinum is compatible with Diamond/Pearl even though some changes were made to the battle system (move properties changed, some Pokemon can learn new moves, etc). Any of the DS games can be linked to each other. The only interactivity they have with previous games is the ability to transfer over Pokemon from the GBA games.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks very much guys, that's a great help. Special thanks to Niblet for the heads-up!

I think I might use my pocket money this weekend!

OMG Aero

kyo_daikun said:
Cant beleive theres still no news on european arceus event...
It will probably be a repeat of the Shaymin event in that it will be announced when the Arceus movie is airing in each country.

Stage On

From January 30th to Febuary 14th Gamestop in the states will be giving out the Pikachu coloured Pichu

This is important becuse if you transfer him to Heart Gold and Soul Silver it unlocks the Spike-eared Pichu event.

Also they are doing a Jirachi event soon but I don't have the final date on that one.

upandaway

Hey guys, help me figure what the hell is going on here.

I managed to steal using thief I think 4 Dragon Scales or whatever Seadra's wild item is, and 1 DeepSeaScale or whatever Relicanth's wild item is, and 1 King's Rock from a Poliwhirl.

I pretty much took them off my guy immediately after I stole them. And I can't find any of the items.
No clue where they disappeared to. Searched my bag and even went to the computer and I don't know. I'm just confused like fuck.

upandaway

Yeah that's what I figure. I have no idea what's going on. Now if I try to take out any random item from a Pokemon it goes to the Item Pocket fine.

jibblypop

Banned
So I kept seeing the Pokemon Silver/Gold remakes thread on the front page so I decided to get back into a Pokemon game!
I haven't played a game since I played silver whenever that was released ages ago so I forgot everything about the series.

I had Platinum in my backlog so I thought I may as well play this instead of buying the new ones. I'm about 10 hours in and I'm loving it! These games are way harder than I remember (or is it just this one)?

The interesting thing to me is that I found the beginning of Dragon Quest games to be a lot easier to beat than this even though most people seem to view Pokemon as a kid's game.

Anyways it's great to be back into this series and this one is a real pleasure to play. I will definitely pick up Soul Silver next but not right away since 2 massive Pokemon RPGs in a row would do my head in! :lol

Top Bottom