• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Pokemon Platinum Thread of Catching Them All (Again)

• Thread starter Deleted member 21120
  • Start date

Espada

Teknoman said:
Think the online battle scene will liven up around here when HG and SS release?

Probably not, most learnsets and eggs moves are pretty much the same. We'll have to wait until 5th gen with its slew of new pokemon, abilties, moves and held items for that.

thaOwner said:
Hey guys , is anyone willing to send me a Chimchar egg please ?

Sure, here's my FC: 1204 5320 9711

sonarrat said:
I just read about this.. 1/2048 doesn't sound like very good odds. How long did it take you to get a single shiny? I think I'd fall asleep long before I hatched anything interesting. I do have an American Platinum and Japanese Soul Silver copy, though, and I've already done trading between them.

It really depends. I got a shiny piplup after 12 eggs, and a shiny dratini after 400+. I dont mind though, since they are filling up Ranch. :lol

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Zerokku said:
Does anyone have an impish synchronizer I could borrow? (And possibly a spare master ball?)

Finally progressing in the story, and about to go and face Giratina.

Still looking.

Ravidrath

sonarrat said:
I just read about this.. 1/2048 doesn't sound like very good odds. How long did it take you to get a single shiny? I think I'd fall asleep long before I hatched anything interesting. I do have an American Platinum and Japanese Soul Silver copy, though, and I've already done trading between them.

I've gotten shinies after ~100, ~230, ~500 and around ~300, now.

I just ride up and down Solaceon while I watch TV, and dump 'em in the box when I've got 5 eggs.

I also leave my system in sleep mode so as not to reset the IRNG between sessions, only dumping them into Ranch once I get a Shiny or (it hasn't happened yet) fill up my PC.

My copy of Pearl is basically solely devoted to breeding Shinies now, so I have a full 500+ spaces to do it.

Tarazet

Ravidrath said:
I've gotten shinies after ~100, ~230, ~500 and around ~300, now.

I just ride up and down Solaceon while I watch TV, and dump 'em in the box when I've got 5 eggs.

I also leave my system in sleep mode so as not to reset the IRNG between sessions, only dumping them into Ranch once I get a Shiny or (it hasn't happened yet) fill up my PC.

My copy of Pearl is basically solely devoted to breeding Shinies now, so I have a full 500+ spaces to do it.

Yeah, definitely not going to bother with that. I tried using a Japanese Feraligator and American Ditto to make a shiny Totodile, and I only managed to hatch 15 eggs in an hour, even with a Magmortar in my party warming up the eggs.

sonarrat said:
Yeah, definitely not going to bother with that. I tried using a Japanese Feraligator and American Ditto to make a shiny Totodile, and I only managed to hatch 15 eggs in an hour, even with a Magmortar in my party warming up the eggs.

You need to go to Serebii and check out the steps for the pokemon you want to breed/hatch. the "popular" ones, and the starters, are more steps. Dratini is like 4000 steps, while Magby is like 2000 or so. Im saying those numbers off memory, so I could be wrong. :D

Tarazet

biggyfries said:
You need to go to Serebii and check out the steps for the pokemon you want to breed/hatch. the "popular" ones, and the starters, are more steps. Dratini is like 4000 steps, while Magby is like 2000 or so. Im saying those numbers off memory, so I could be wrong. :D

Having a Pokemon with Flame Body in the party, like Magmortar, halves the number of steps you need to hatch.. so Totodile normally takes 5,353 steps, but with Magmortar in the party, it would be half that. Feraligatr is omfg awesome, so it might be worth it to some, but I'd rather get good IV's than a shiny that might not be anything special..

EzLink

Banned
Shit, I'm getting bored spending all my time in the underground trying to get enough of the right type of jewels so the move tutor can teach my shaymin earth power.

I'm not missing an easier way to go about this, right?

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
EzLink said:
Shit, I'm getting bored spending all my time in the underground trying to get enough of the right type of jewels so the move tutor can teach my shaymin earth power.

The guy in the middle of Fuego Ironworks will exchange 4 shards (one of each color) for a star piece.

lyre

Finally got around to beating the Elite4 with a pair of Luxrays (follow-up to my Pearl copy's single Staraptor HoF) and now I can finally shelve my old copy of Pearl for good. Now to finally make proper teams.
Tho what should I use to beat Heart Gold with ...

EzLink said:
But that's the best part of the DS games!

OMG Aero

EzLink said:

As soon as you enter the Great Marsh there is a guy that gives you shards once a day when you talk to him.

Ravidrath

Somehow I totally missed that the U.S. Arceus event was happening.

I'll go this weekend and get the Arceus on my flash cart and duplicate him for people who can't make it to a TRU, as usual.

OMG Aero

Ravidrath said:
Somehow I totally missed that the U.S. Arceus event was happening.

I'll go this weekend and get the Arceus on my flash cart and duplicate him for people who can't make it to a TRU, as usual.
Could I have one?
While they have been doing some of the online events here in the UK, some of them (Regigigas in particular) are in-store ones in towns nowhere near me so I dunno if I would be able get Arceus when they do the event here.

Ravidrath

OMG Aero said:
Could I have one?
While they have been doing some of the online events here in the UK, some of them (Regigigas in particular) are in-store ones in towns nowhere near me so I dunno if I would be able get Arceus when they do the event here.

I'll set up trades this weekend after I actually have the thing, so keep an eye on this thread.

EzLink

Banned
So I got my 2 Arceus' (Arceie??) and they come at level 100, soo... does this mean all of the potential EV points are wasted? That's pretty fucking lame

EzLink said:
So I got my 2 Arceus' (Arceie??) and they come at level 100, soo... does this mean all of the potential EV points are wasted? That's pretty fucking lame

Indeed it does

Also if the second one is too much for your game to handle my cart is arceusless :p

Kyzer

Banned
EzLink said:

No. You can EV train lv100s. Just do it then put it in the PC and withdraw it again IIRC.

Sixfortyfive

Kyzer said:
No. You can EV train lv100s. Just do it then put it in the PC and withdraw it again IIRC.
I don't think this works anymore.

The best you can do is just pump them full of vitamins (HP Up, Protein, etc), but this leaves you with a max of 100 EVs in any one stat.

Sagitario

I started Platinum just because I wanted to get the special item for the Darkrai quest, but I haven't played anything after the first gym because I want to finish Leaf Green first... the thing is, Lorelei kicks my ass :lol ...

I played through LG with a team of 3 Pokémon: Charizard, Dragonite and Nidoking and those 3 sucks against her water/ice Pokémon...

Is there an easy/fast way to gain EXP in LG so I can train other Pokémon? Just thinking about the time consuming task of fighting wild monsters just to gain little experience makes me wanna quit :p ...

Ravidrath said:
I'll set up trades this weekend after I actually have the thing, so keep an eye on this thread.

Oh, yes, please :D ...

ryan13ts

so I'm relatively new to all this, so forgive me for asking a super newb question, but trades can be done from Platnium to Diamond/Pearl, correct? If so, I'm in need of a metal coat to evolve my Onix... anyone want to trade?

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
ryan13ts said:
so I'm relatively new to all this, so forgive me for asking a super newb question, but trades can be done from Platnium to Diamond/Pearl, correct? If so, I'm in need of a metal coat to evolve my Onix... anyone want to trade?
Yes, trades can be made between games.

Are you saying that you need a metal coat or just that you need someone to trade with you while your Onyx is holding one?

ryan13ts

Cocopjojo said:
Yes, trades can be made between games.

Are you saying that you need a metal coat or just that you need someone to trade with you while your Onyx is holding one?

Both actually. I guess I'd need to trade someone my Onyx first, have them put the metal coat on it, and then trade it back to me, if anyone is down for it?

Ondore

Apologies if old, and yeah source is 4chan, but still.

qnd.jpg

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
The only joining factor is the letter M? T'would be nice, but that explanation doesn't make any sense. You could say that about anything from the game that they cut: "they moved that code to an empty spot." (which doesn't make sense either)

D-Pad

If you delete a wondercard, does it remove the item from your bag?

Also, I've yet to move through victory road, cause my team is too weak to make it through. Noctowl reeeally let me down, so I've been trying to find a Pokemon to replace it.

Team:
Empolean
Garchomp
Houndoom
Tangrowth
Noctowl

A Bunery and Duskull were being trained to complete my team, but they're on low levels, and I'm incredibly bored now and just want to move on and beat the champion so I can use these wondercard items. Any suggestions?

bon

Cocopjojo said:
The only joining factor is the letter M? T'would be nice, but that explanation doesn't make any sense. You could say that about anything from the game that they cut: "they moved that code to an empty spot." (which doesn't make sense either)
And Kangaskhan isn't bone themed, so it doesn't quite make sense as a followup to Cubone and Marowak. Still a cute theory.

Ravidrath

EzLink said:

There will be Arceii given away via the Wi-Fi flute or whatever later, which you will be able to EV train.

JSnake

D-Pad said:
If you delete a wondercard, does it remove the item from your bag?

Also, I've yet to move through victory road, cause my team is too weak to make it through. Noctowl reeeally let me down, so I've been trying to find a Pokemon to replace it.

Team:
Empolean
Garchomp
Houndoom
Tangrowth
Noctowl

A Bunery and Duskull were being trained to complete my team, but they're on low levels, and I'm incredibly bored now and just want to move on and beat the champion so I can use these wondercard items. Any suggestions?

Alakazam and Gengar. Replace Tangrowth and Noctowl with them and maybe add a Gyarados.

D-Pad

JSnake said:
Alakazam and Gengar. Replace Tangrowth and Noctowl with them and maybe add a Gyarados.

First, thank you for the suggestions.

Gyarados will only put me at even more of a disadvantage with ice Pokemon (Garchomp is dragon/ground). Why do you suggest Gengar?

Keep in mind -- I know I didn't say it before-- that I don't really EV train or anything like that until I beat the game (if I do it at all).

Anyone have a Kadabra / Alakazam they're willing to part with?

Sixfortyfive

D-Pad said:
I can check for something. I have a handful of old and useless-to-me critters I've used for past playthroughs and no longer need. I know I've got a 70+ Charizard and some other junk, for starters.

EDIT: Scanned my boxes for high-level duplicates and found the following:

Charizard lv71
Exeggutor lv65
Crobat lv62
Spinda lv81 (wtf? also has pokerus)
Mewtwo lv70
Articuno lv60
Heatran lv70
Giratina lv70

FC is 2750-6983-3519. Let me know if you want any of these.

Stage On

Ravidrath said:
There will be Arceii given away via the Wi-Fi flute or whatever later, which you will be able to EV train.

Yes but this one is special since it will let you unlock something in Heart Gold/Soul Silver later on that you wouldn't be able to otherwise and I hate missing out on stuff like that.

JSnake

D-Pad said:
First, thank you for the suggestions.

Gyarados will only put me at even more of a disadvantage with ice Pokemon (Garchomp is dragon/ground). Why do you suggest Gengar?

Keep in mind -- I know I didn't say it before-- that I don't really EV train or anything like that until I beat the game (if I do it at all).

Gengar is just pretty much awesome in general. He's very fragile but he's a glass cannon (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=glass cannon) with tons of special attack. He's able to learn a wide variety of moves through TMs, allowing him to take advantage of many type weaknesses.

Also he's Gengar.

Sixfortyfive

Gengar looks stupid and lame, imo. Too purple!

Also, D-pad, check your PMs dangit. Been idling in the lobby for like half an hour now.

D-Pad

Haunter > Gengar. How Haunter evolves to look like THAT is beyond me.

Sixfortyfive said:
Gengar looks stupid and lame, imo. Too purple!

Also, D-pad, check your PMs dangit. Been idling in the lobby for like half an hour now.

Sorry about that, :lol and thank you. :)

Ravidrath

I picked up Arceus, and will start handing them out tomorrow. I'll post when I'm on and try to be around for an hour or so.

If interested in getting Arceus, please PM me with your FC. If you have AIM or another IM service, please include that, as well, because it's much easier to coordinate this sort of thing with synchronous communications.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
So I gamefly'd Platinum recently, mostly because I actually wanted to get an event pokemon for once. However much to my annoyance, I've discovered that I can't actually get Shaymin until I play through the entire game. So I guess I'm here for the long haul :lol

Current Status:
-Beat Gardenia

Pokemon:
Prinplup - lv. 17
Budew - lv. 15 (waiting for happiness)
Vespiquen - lv. 22
Aipom - lv. 20
Luxio - lv. 17

Slavik81 said:
Am I the only one that named their rival Andrex?
:lol

Ravidrath said:
I picked up Arceus, and will start handing them out tomorrow. I'll post when I'm on and try to be around for an hour or so.

If interested in getting Arceus, please PM me with your FC. If you have AIM or another IM service, please include that, as well, because it's much easier to coordinate this sort of thing with synchronous communications.
Can that Arceus be on Diamond, or does it have to be Platinum?

Ravidrath

I'm awake and ready to hand out some Arceii. While you have to be on Platinum to get the Mystery Gift from Toys R' Us, you don't need a particular version to get it from me.

Once again, send me a PM with your Friend Code if interested, and AIM or other IM services will make coordinating this much, much easier for everyone involved.

bon

Ravidrath said:
I'm awake and ready to hand out some Arceii. While you have to be on Platinum to get the Mystery Gift from Toys R' Us, you don't need a particular version to get it from me.

Once again, send me a PM with your Friend Code if interested, and AIM or other IM services will make coordinating this much, much easier for everyone involved.
You don't need Platinum to get Arceus from Toys R Us. I got one for both Platinum and Pearl.

Ravidrath

Ah, I guess only the Wi-Fi distributed Pokemon/items have cart specificity?

Anyway, surprised more people didn't ask for Arceus. I'll still be giving them out, but it'll be harder to schedule due to my work, other people's school, etc.

Also: I'm still raising Shiny Pokemon via the "Masuda method," and just got a Shiny Piplup after only five eggs. For comparison, my previous record was 79 eggs, and my previous worst was like... 1300 or so, I think.

Next up: Nincada, since it'll split into two Shinies when it levels.

Baconbitz

Banned
Ravidrath said:
Ah, I guess only the Wi-Fi distributed Pokemon/items have cart specificity?

Anyway, surprised more people didn't ask for Arceus. I'll still be giving them out, but it'll be harder to schedule due to my work, other people's school, etc.

Also: I'm still raising Shiny Pokemon via the "Masuda method," and just got a Shiny Piplup after only five eggs. For comparison, my previous record was 79 eggs, and my previous worst was like... 1300 or so, I think.

Next up: Nincada, since it'll split into two Shinies when it levels.
PM sent to you.

Top Bottom