• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Prototype Thread

JRW

Papercuts said:
It should be, dunno what the problem is. I've had waaaay more than 3-4 tanks fighting hunters on the screen and don't have any visible framerate drops.

Ditto and Ive got 32 hours gametime logged.

NZNova

Man, I just cannot beat the final boss in this, on Normal. It's been OK so far, but this final boss is just a bitch.

I just cannot seem to hit him without taking way more damage than I'm dishing out. It's really hard to hit him without him getting in a retaliatory swipe. That's fine during the initial part, I can run away and consume soldiers to regen the health. The problem is when I hit 30% health and the 1 minute 45 second timer kicks in - I just cannot dish out enough damage in the time allotted without just getting in close and whacking him a lot, and whenever I do that I die before he does. I managed to get him down to like, 1 pixel of health with 3 seconds left on the clock the last time he killed me. SOOOOO frustrating!

I'm using the blade at the moment.. I've tried claws, I've tried whipfist, I've tried hammerhand, I've tried musclemass and throwing things at him - nothing dishes out enough damage in time!

I've been at this fight for like an hour and a half now. At this point I just want to finish the game. Grrr.

Ashour

NZNova said:
Man, I just cannot beat the final boss in this, on Normal. It's been OK so far, but this final boss is just a bitch.

I just cannot seem to hit him without taking way more damage than I'm dishing out. It's really hard to hit him without him getting in a retaliatory swipe. That's fine during the initial part, I can run away and consume soldiers to regen the health. The problem is when I hit 30% health and the 1 minute 45 second timer kicks in - I just cannot dish out enough damage in the time allotted without just getting in close and whacking him a lot, and whenever I do that I die before he does. I managed to get him down to like, 1 pixel of health with 3 seconds left on the clock the last time he killed me. SOOOOO frustrating!

I'm using the blade at the moment.. I've tried claws, I've tried whipfist, I've tried hammerhand, I've tried musclemass and throwing things at him - nothing dishes out enough damage in time!

I've been at this fight for like an hour and a half now. At this point I just want to finish the game. Grrr.

Yeah he's a bastard I barley beat him with the whip and armor, I decided that I will stay close, hit as much as I can then jump, throw a chopper at him when he stands still to do his spacial then repeat that way he will get stunned and getting him stunned twice is enough to take him down.

it toke me allot of tries until I did it so keep trying.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
NZNova said:

I used musclemass and threw helicopters and missiles at him. I didn't have any trouble at all really...

You just target him and keep running around so he doesn't get close. Pick up some random thing around you and toss it at him.

ArjanN

BobsRevenge said:
I used musclemass and threw helicopters and missiles at him. I didn't have any trouble at all really...

You just target him and keep running around so he doesn't get close. Pick up some random thing around you and toss it at him.

The easiest way to use muscle mass and then charge-throw stuff at him, there are lots of items lying around.

If he takes a lot of damage quickly, he is stunned for a while and you can grab him and climb on his back, and get a lot of free hits in.

ArjanN

Kritz said:
I picked this up on PC today, and while the game is kind of fun, the keyboard and mouse controls are absolute ass. Auto-targeting sucks, no mouse4 or mouse5 support, munted WASD movement... just seems like a terrible port.

Has anyone played this with a controller on PC? I might pick up one of those wired Xbox controllers if it means the game will feel less janky.

The controls are perfectly fine with keyboard, it just takes time to get used to them because they're not the same as other games. If you stick with it and learn how the game works, you'll find the game controls really well actually.

It really helps to get the movement upgrades as first, and do a bunch of the events to get used to the controls.

JRW

sarcastor said:
did you guys copy it to the hard drive first? cause i did...maybe that's why it suckin?

Ive been playing it off hardrive, the game has occasional slowdown but its hardly noticeable when it occurs and doesnt effect the controls etc, im pretty sensitive to framerate changes.. for example Ghostbusters on 360 has some pretty nasty slowdown to the point of affecting controls in certain areas.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
Am I crazy, or did I read somewhere that this game had more than one ending? I've looked it up and it doesn't seem to be true. I thought at some point I'd have to choose between the military and the infected. Hmm. I swore I read that somewhere, maybe even here.

I also swore there was alternate costumes as well. I even thought you jacket got a new pattern with the ending, but I think that was just my imagination. I would like to poke this game and have additional content fall out. I am uncharacteristically, cautiously interested in DLC.

sarcastor

JRW said:
Ive been playing it off hardrive, the game has occasional slowdown but its hardly noticeable when it occurs and doesnt effect the controls etc, im pretty sensitive to framerate changes.. for example Ghostbusters on 360 has some pretty nasty slowdown to the point of affecting controls in certain areas.

even when i have one hunter on screen attacking, it slows down to a crawl. it's getting really frustrating. maybe my xbox360 is about to die :(

ezekial45

Banned
I've spent the last 5 hours trying to find the last 4 WOI targets from sequence 6. Does anyone know their names, and where to find them?
EDIT: nevermind, i found that interactive map. That was easy. :lol

Dunlop

Took me a while to get over the "not Infamous" syndrome, but now I am starting to get into this game.

1 question (PS3 version). Is there a way to invert the aim when you are drivng a tank? I can't seem to find it and it is driving me me nuts

webrunner

Is there a trick to keeping a helecopter from exploding? Between the fact the lockon missiles seem to be useless, and that other helecopters can usually take down a third of your health before you can even turn around to shoot them, I find it extremely hard to survive helecopter missions regardless of the number of kills I get.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
question about ending .

Cross is the same supreme hunter i fought earlier ? It did start to regenerate after the battle.. that explains it .. , oh snap, so that means the real Cross got eaten by the hunter in the scene where he gets jumped by the orange POV ..

and i thought he was such a badass :(

Monkeylord said:
Quick Q about the WoI... one of my marks got blowed the fuck up in a crowd and the mission complete got triggered barely a split second later.

Am I boned? Can I no longer complete the WoI?

Just for the people wondering:

WOI targets show up randomly, I've found them to show up at an almost predictable rate when you're just moving around the city.

Most of them (later / post-ending in the game) will be killed almost instantly by infected and military though. (and will take some time to respawn if you're unlucky)

If you want to complete the web, clear out hives in a rapid succesion, so a lot of space will temporarely be void of infected and hunters. Best way to do this quickly is by using a helicopter taken from one of the helicopter side-missions (unlocked very late in the game). Also, moving the helicopter closer to the ground (but not 28 days later close) may increase your likelyhood for a WOI spawn. Being able to cover a lot of ground with the chopper will also increase your chances.

In my case, WOI targets tend (post-ending) to spawn near Central Park.

My copy, however, decided to give the reward after the military consume events, not the WOI.

JdFoX187

Banned
Dunlop said:
Took me a while to get over the "not Infamous" syndrome, but now I am starting to get into this game.

1 question (PS3 version). Is there a way to invert the aim when you are drivng a tank? I can't seem to find it and it is driving me me nuts
It should be in the options menu next to the others. At least that's the way it is on the 360 version. Has anyone else had problems with the game resetting the control options? I have everything set to inverted, and it'll randomly switch them back. Wreaked havoc in my fight with
Elizabeth Greene.

atomsk

Party Pooper
Zeitgeister said:

WOI targets show up randomly, I've found them to show up at an almost predictable rate when you're just moving around the city.

Most of them (later / post-ending in the game) will be killed almost instantly by infected and military though. (and will take some time to respawn if you're unlucky)

or you can just start a new game+. makes it super easy :lol

NZNova

BobsRevenge said:

Cheers for the suggestions. I had him down to like, 2% health with 3 seconds left on the clock when I died the last time last night before giving up. I'll get him tonight, hopefully. Just one of those annoying roadblocks.

Dunlop

JdFoX187 said:
It should be in the options menu next to the others. At least that's the way it is on the 360 version. Has anyone else had problems with the game resetting the control options? I have everything set to inverted, and it'll randomly switch them back. Wreaked havoc in my fight with
Elizabeth Greene.

I have the controls set to inverted, but the tank stays regular. Is there a seperate vehicle one on the 360 version?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
NZNova said:
Cheers for the suggestions. I had him down to like, 2% health with 3 seconds left on the clock when I died the last time last night before giving up. I'll get him tonight, hopefully. Just one of those annoying roadblocks.

Easiest way is to keep using the critical pain devastator, I beat him with atleast 1:30 left with it.

Zeitgeister said:

If you want to complete the web, clear out hives in a rapid succesion, so a lot of space will temporarely be void of infected and hunters. Best way to do this quickly is by using a helicopter taken from one of the helicopter side-missions (unlocked very late in the game). Also, moving the helicopter closer to the ground (but not 28 days later close) may increase your likelyhood for a WOI spawn. Being able to cover a lot of ground with the chopper will also increase your chances.

In my case, WOI targets tend (post-ending) to spawn near Central Park.

My copy, however, decided to give the reward after the military consume events, not the WOI.

While the spawning seems random, there is a method for it. I forget where, but you can probably search for a map of it. The map is split into sectors and certain targets appear in certain places, it gave me no issues when I went after them all.

webrunner

Regarding the helecopter thing I figured it out..

But I was wondering, are there any uses at all for the following powers:

Stealth Consume Boost - Is there any situation other than consume events (which dont have medals anyway) where the speed of a stealth consume matters? and it's not like it's slow anyway.

Patsy Range Boost - If you can use the Patsy you don't have to worry about distance anyway.

The five or so "no damage" knockback attacks - any reason to get these other than the devastators some of them unlock? You have area attacks that hurt people

Curb Stomp - why would you need to attack a defeated enemy?

Also, do things like the divebomb and other throw slams work on super soldiers?

Edit: Reading the thread I noticed a lot of people had a trouble with the times square boss fight against
Greene
.. I didn't find it that hard.. I did this:
I died the first few times due to the shockwave, but Once i figured out it was a horizontal shockwave I tried to say off the ground except to do devistators. But I did most of my damage with mid-air Y charged whipfist attacks between buildings.. they take off 3-4 bars each. just keep moving, go behind billboards and on top of buildings, and stop behind the billboards if you need to fight hunters for health (as it'll block the acid shots). Use the shield so that if you get poked by the debris shot it does minimal damage. Then unleash with whatever you have once it's open. Really, the defend-the-pump-thing was harder.

Liberty4all

Banned
For those interested we are giving away a free copy of Prototype (Xbox360 version) here.

I had a great idea for a contest/giveaway and it turns out my great idea sucked. We only have 3 entries so far :(

Dunlop

Disregard my inverted tank question. There is like 5 controller options in Prototype and invert Y axis for vehicles is one of them. I don't know what I was smoking to have missed that

sarcastor

webrunner said:
Is there a trick to keeping a helecopter from exploding? Between the fact the lockon missiles seem to be useless, and that other helecopters can usually take down a third of your health before you can even turn around to shoot them, I find it extremely hard to survive helecopter missions regardless of the number of kills I get.

try destroying the first two helicopters and then stealing the last one. throw cars and stuff using the muscle mass really helps. or skyjack with the whip.

Davidion

sarcastor said:
try destroying the first two helicopters and then stealing the last one. throw cars and stuff using the muscle mass really helps. or skyjack with the whip.

I think he's talking about missions where you pilot a helicopter. I just got these missions yesterday and they're annoying as hell; I've no idea how to survive when you have three helicopters (who do not miss) coming at you from different directions and your copter is fragile as hell.

webrunner said:
Edit: Reading the thread I noticed a lot of people had a trouble with the times square boss fight against
Greene
.. I didn't find it that hard.. I did this:
I died the first few times due to the shockwave, but Once i figured out it was a horizontal shockwave I tried to say off the ground except to do devistators. But I did most of my damage with mid-air Y charged whipfist attacks between buildings.. they take off 3-4 bars each. just keep moving, go behind billboards and on top of buildings, and stop behind the billboards if you need to fight hunters for health (as it'll block the acid shots). Use the shield so that if you get poked by the debris shot it does minimal damage. Then unleash with whatever you have once it's open. Really, the defend-the-pump-thing was harder.

Agree 100% on this with you. I don't get why people condemded this part of the game and the final boss. Maybe because they simply didn't beat them on the first or second try? No idea. I beat that boss on a third try. I learned the pattern as I tend to do with bosses and unless its extremely cheap, its not a big deal. Though I have a feeling some people are just not using or thinking of using the nessecary skills to make these fights easier for themselves.

Dunlop

noob question #2

I picked up the charge throw ability, but I can't seem to charge it.

The ability seems obvious - hold down throw button and release

Problem is I instantly throw anything, it does not let me charge it

webrunner

Davidion said:
I think he's talking about missions where you pilot a helicopter. I just got these missions yesterday and they're annoying as hell; I've no idea how to survive when you have three helicopters (who do not miss) coming at you from different directions and your copter is fragile as hell.

I actually managed to figure it out. For some reason circle strafing slowly makes the enemy not hit you unless they're really close (even though moving faster in other ways doesnt seem to help.. the game is so arbitrary sometimes) and I figured out how the lockon works.. you have to have the little red square pulsating on the target.

Btw, anyone else really wish the game had some sort of targeting info when you had something locked on to? Half the time I dont know what I'm targeting from far away.. even just a little symbol for "military" or "infected" would help..

Papercuts

Hard is giving me a huge headache at the
Greene
fight now...I can't see any way to actually beat this damn fight.

Another annoyance was protecting the Bloodtox machine while it pumped into the ground. The wave with two leader hunters and two hydras is RIDICULOUS. It took me 5 devastators to kill the hunters, and the hydras have even more health...

Dunlop said:
noob question #2

I picked up the charge throw ability, but I can't seem to charge it.

The ability seems obvious - hold down throw button and release

Problem is I instantly throw anything, it does not let me charge it

Not sure, are you still holding the throw button down after you pick stuff up or something? That's the only thing I could think of. Just hit the button to pick something up, then hit it again and hold it to charge throw.

JRW

Wow I just beat the game, I didn't find the final boss very difficult so not sure exactly what the fuss was about (I died once)... I encountered much more frustrating areas in the game prior.

Overall I had a lot of fun and plan on continuing doing side events. total game time up to final boss is 33 hrs 30min. (Got the all upgrades achievement & gold in all events, well now more events opened since beating the game).

webrunner

Just beat it.. final boss thoughts:

My successful run ended up basically this:
1. run around like crazy keeping him on the other side of the ship bridge
2. occasionally toss a helecopter and have it mysteriously do no damage
3. throw a handful of missiles
4. consume as much as possible
5. military did like 90% of the damage
6. two musclemass critical pains as soon as the countdown starts = victory

By the way, does anyone else have a problem with doing Air Critical Pain if you also get Cannonball? It just seems to trigger cannonball now, it never does the devastator.

mujun

I finally finished this after about 15 hours put into it.

I didn't like it quite as much by the finish as I had after the first 5 hours, mainly because it got a bit too crazy in the last 5 or 10 missions and it also got a little repetitive.

I did however love the upgrades and variety of abilities as well as the feeling of being a bad ass the game gives you.

Overall I liked it a tiny bit more than Infamous. Next up Red Faction, I wonder if it will be my favorite of the three.

Papercuts

webrunner said:
By the way, does anyone else have a problem with doing Air Critical Pain if you also get Cannonball? It just seems to trigger cannonball now, it never does the devastator.

Never gave me an issue, just note I think you have to be locked on for the air critical pain.

Ezduo

Banned
Hats off to you guys that beat the bosses by by actually attacking them on a regular basis. I just got fed up with their shit and reduced each fight to running around consuming everything I could and then spamming devastators.

tabsina

Ezduo said:
Hats off to you guys that beat the bosses by by actually attacking them on a regular basis. I just got fed up with their shit and reduced each fight to running around consuming everything I could and then spamming devastators.

i was doing that with
greene
, but after it took me so long to get it down to 1/4 health, and then i tried something different - getting on a helicopter - i was unfortunately taken out of the event area while he was getting into the helicopter, which meant i needed to start again from 3/4 health.. i tried a faster approach of using tanks and general vehicles to throw at it.. much faster and more effective

Also, with the final boss.. the easiest way by far to me (on normal, haven't tried hard) was using musclemass and charged throw to throw everything that moved at it.. got it on my second try (first try i got taken down by a devastator when it had a fraction of health left, but with plenty of time).. it is great because if you are always moving, you will rarely get hit.. i didn't consume once on either try

Fantastic game, loved it

Dougald

Just finished the final boss yesterday
what a bastard he was, took a lot of swearing from me
(PC version) and I loved the game!

Story was utter rubbish, but quite honestly using whipfist to hijack a helicopter, then jump out of the helicopter, land on some guy and surf along the ground on his body is more entertaining than any story could ever be!

The_Dude

Found all the hint orbs, now just 4 landmark orbs left. I really want to do it without using a guide, but those damn orbs are nowhere - it's driving me nuts! Although the thought of getting a guide and having to go through 200 orbs just to find the 4 I'm missing doesn't fill me with joy, either. I just want to finish it up!

I'm shelving this game for now - finshed on normal and got almost all the collectibles, all golds, and about half the platinums - I'll come back after diving into red faction.

I had a conversation with one of the developers, and it doesn't sound like the co-op mode will be showing up as DLC, but DLC is a possibility. I'd personally like more of the side missions, but all I could get is a "maybe" with regards to DLC.

atomsk said:
or you can just start a new game+. makes it super easy :lol

I'm probably something of a purist when it comes to completing games. While it's great that new game+ carries everything over, I rarely find myself using new game+ in games and complete a game only once, most of the time.

Splatt

Completed the game yesterday. I enjoyed it and I'm probably going to do all of the challenges as soon as I find a time manipulating device.

Greene was easy. Go into tank, blast her rinse & repeat. The last boss gave me some trouble but musclemass form + throwing helicopters made him a joke.

george_us

Just got this in the mail today from Amazon and I'm loving it so far. It's amazing just how powerful you feel right at the beginning of the game. You can cover half the city by just running, jumping and gliding all over the place. I also love how ruthless Alex is when he's running at full sprint. Pushing people out the way, destroying poles, trees, etc. and leaping over top of large objects is an amazing feeling. It almost feels like the human equivalent of being an unstoppable wild animal. The story doesn't make any sense (but then again, I haven't played a game all year where the story was actually coherent so that doesn't bother me) and the controls take a bit of getting used to but once you do, the game is a blast.

kaskade

This game does a great job of making you feel like a badass, and that is amazing. I love sprinting to a battle full speed, then turning on my armor, then whipping out the blade, then fucking some shit up.

mujun

ThePeacemaker02 said:
This game does a great job of making you feel like a badass, and that is amazing. I love sprinting to a battle full speed, then turning on my armor, then whipping out the blade, then fucking some shit up.

Exactly how I felt, pity it got repetitive.

TeTr1C

Just got this in Gamefly.

This game is absolutely insane. Coming from playing Infamous where everything moves at a slower pace, this game is definitely over the top with its action. I'm loving it. So fun just mowing down tons of pedestrians with the claw. :lol And body surfing is so addicting. :D

Since there seems to be tons of upgrades, I'm guessing by the end there's just an overwhelming amount of attacks to pull off.

A few questions: Does this game have boss fights? If so, how many?

Are there any missions that change it up and stray from the normal objective route? I know you'll be killing shitloads of things, infiltrating bases and destroying buildings, but is that it?

Kade

I beat the game and want to get all the WOI targets. If they die, do they never come back or do they spawn elsewhere?

Top Bottom