• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Prototype Thread

itxaka

Defeatist
Winterblink said:
I have it on the PS3, it's pretty amazing. No complaints.

Cool!

I just opened it to play, and it's awesome. The wrecking is huge! So many things on screen blowing up!

The only problem it's that is kind of difficult, I got my ass handed a few times already.

Ok I beat this a minutes ago. Overall impression? Very entertaining hit the head on what it does right and not so much on its faults. The the sum definitely makes its something to play.

With that said....
I need some closure some real freaking closure here. Was the blackwatch guy Greene's kid? Seemed like he may have been absorbed.... I think? Anyway I'm confused about the whole scenario. Alex human screwed everybody, what drove the virus once it knew what it was?, is his sister ok? Is it just me or is their room for a sequel? Can I get real bloody answers if I complete the web of intrigue?

Its too late to be thinking about this....

mujun

I'm about two hours into this and so far I am liking it more than Infamous, that could all change of course.

Story seems pretty throw away and the graphics are underwhelming but I love the variety of powers and upgrades and the feeling of gliding round the city is cool. Might be the 2nd game (after Crackdown) where I actually get a feeling of vertigo leaping from the top of a skyscraper.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
VeritasVierge said:
Reading this thread, I think I'm going to pass on this and resell my sealed copy cheap. I didn't care at all for InFamous.

Dude, if you have the 360 version and don't mind shipping to Japan, I would LOVE to take this off your hands for a trade of some sort. :D

bathala

Banned
sometimes the game just doesn't use its common sense.

why can't u start a mission in disguise mode when ur face to face with an army?
when u first jack the helicopter
it drops u right in front of them.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
bathala said:
sometimes the game just doesn't use its common sense.

why can't u start a mission in disguise mode when ur face to face with an army?
when u first jack the helicopter
it drops u right in front of them.

IIRC,
it starts you behind a guy to consume so you learn how to fly, then you take it...unless this is another mission.

Just finished this last night and WOW what a blast. I think my final time was around 16 hours and I had all but about 7 upgrades. Did alot of side quests but still have many more remaining.

I really think the game had some great things going for it. The story, while I liked it, did leave a little left to be desired but all considering I just had a great time playing this game and I hope a sequel is made. Also I didn't find the bosses nearly as hard as most people make them out to be. They have patterns, and you just need to know what to do and how to play the game effectively. Most took only a few tries aside from the final which took about 8 tries. Then again these are "bosses" and I dont expect to beat them on my first try all considering.

New game + is going to be fun and im thinking of doing a walkthrough of the game on my youtube account. Now my only decision to make is, do I A. Finish up all my side missions, B. Start a new game + and record the walkthrough, or C. Start a new game on hard. Damn decisions decisions. :D

bathala

Banned
Papercuts said:
IIRC,
it starts you behind a guy to consume so you learn how to fly, then you take it...unless this is another mission.
]its starts me on a low building and standing on the edge of the roof. the guy was next to the helicopter surrounded by other soldiers
when the mission starts ur infamous level just spikes.

hulot

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Now my only decision to make is, do I A. Finish up all my side missions, B. Start a new game + and record the walkthrough, or C. Start a new game on hard. Damn decisions decisions. :D
Do everything on your HARD file. New game+ works for the difficulty you beat the game on and everything below. So with a NORMAL file you couldn't play a HARD new game+ but with your HARD file, you can start a new game+ on any difficulty.

bathala said:
]its starts me on a low building and standing on the edge of the roof. the guy was next to the helicopter surrounded by other soldiers
when the mission starts ur infamous level just spikes.
That one's a weird one. My first time through, I didn't trigger an alert. Second time, there was an immediate alert as soon as it finished loading. Retry a couple of times and make sure you disguise only when you're not seen. The enemy spawning is random.

bathala

Banned
hulot said:
Do everything on your HARD file. New game+ works for the difficulty you beat the game on and everything below. So with a NORMAL file you couldn't play a HARD new game+ but with your HARD file, you can start a new game+ on any difficulty.

That one's a weird one. My first time through, I didn't trigger an alert. Second time, there was an immediate alert as soon as it finished loading. Retry a couple of times and make sure you disguise only when you're not seen. The enemy spawning is random.
i finished the mission because of the games checkpoint. I died and it starts me inside italready with no alarm :lol

I know it may be a little erly for this but is Activision is thinking about making a Prototype 2 ?
This game is really fun and I think that with more polish and a few new ideas the sequel could be awesome.

Ashour

OK WTF just happened, I was at the end of a very long mission and I consumed someone and suddenly I started drowning in the street then I disappeared completely and now I can do nothing but see people walk on me, really WTF!!! I have to load my game and start the mission all over again, bullshit.

Chû Totoro said:
I know it may be a little erly for this but is Activision is thinking about making a Prototype 2 ?
This game is really fun and I think that with more polish and a few new ideas the sequel could be awesome.
Activision's decision making process for sequels:

- Did it make profit?

(No) Then no.
(Yes) Make seven.

Ashour

Ashour said:
OK WTF just happened, I was at the end of a very long mission and I consumed someone and suddenly I started drowning in the street then I disappeared completely and now I can do nothing but see people walk on me, really WTF!!! I have to load my game and start the mission all over again, bullshit.

I didn't know I could restart a check point from the quit option in the pause menu so problem solved but that was one big WTF moment for me.

JRW

Anyone have trouble with the hammerfist events? Im stuck on the Grind the Bones event trying to get gold, you have to kill 120 enemies in 1 minute using only hammerfist and my best score after 2 days of frustration is 103.

Ive even watched YouTube videos on how to clear this event with no luck lol. Everyone says to go from one crowd of infected to the other spamming the Y attack but its just to damn slow and I rarely see groups of infected, they're all scattered... top that off with an insane amount of Hunters constantly knocking me down and punching you with those maddening unblockable combos.

Papercuts

Pretty much all of the events in this game are EXTREMELY misleading. I actually just got the Au achievement a few minutes ago and have working on it all day, that event included--going from groups of infected is literally the only possible way to clear that event, and many others. The game marks certain targets for some reason, but for any kill infected event, it's always just go for big groups of infected in the streets(seems like for these there are intentionally groups to get it done). So for that, just hold down Y and do that attack to kill a big group, try to jump and double air dash to another group, repeat. Hunters do get annoying, but just dodgeroll and avoid them.

The last one I got gold was a similar one with the blade, you need a lot of kills and it doesn't kill fast enough, I couldn't even get bronze...until I went from unmarked group to group and just diced them up, I even got the platinum before I unlocked it on the first time I got a medal on it in the first place.

The military kill events are a lot harder, but there is still that exploit where you can take a bunch of tanks and leave them on the road to destroy really fast, I saw no other way to clear Ordnance without it because I was always ~10 short, but with about 6 tanks stacked ahead of time, they were basically an instant boost to 80 and I only needed 90 more.

JRW

Papercuts said:
The military kill events are a lot harder, but there is still that exploit where you can take a bunch of tanks and leave them on the road to destroy really fast, I saw no other way to clear Ordnance without it because I was always ~10 short, but with about 6 tanks stacked ahead of time, they were basically an instant boost to 80 and I only needed 90 more.

Are you saying you can hijack a bunch of tanks and leave them in the event area, then start the event and it will count them as kills when destroyed?

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Flying low and killing random non-marked infected groups
really breaks the heli missions I mentioned earlier, in one of them I got more than 900 points while only 300 was needed for gold.

JRW said:
Are you saying you can hijack a bunch of tanks and leave them in the event area, then start the event and it will count them as kills when destroyed?
Yup. The vehicles will stay there when the event starts.

uhm, it's a 'kill infected' event? How would those tanks even count?

Not to mention they actually take more time to kill than an bunch of infected. Just make for a large group of ordinairy human infected and drop the Y bomb on them, then dodge the Hunters that will make a pass at you, punch some smaller infected away with the normal attack (X) and look for another big group to drop on with Y.

Also note that groups respawn (like in any open world in a city game) if you walk a little away and then turn back. You should be able to get 110 with some effort, 120 and more with some luck. Just don't get hit a Hunter, because they will waste valuable seconds.

Fuu

Zeitgeister said:
uhm, it's a 'kill infected' event? How would those tanks even count?

Not to mention they actually take more time to kill than an bunch of infected. Just make for a large group of ordinairy human infected and drop the Y bomb on them, then dodge the Hunters that will make a pass at you, punch some smaller infected away with the normal attack (X) and look for another big group to drop on with Y.

Also note that groups respawn (like in any open world in a city game) if you walk a little away and then turn back. You should be able to get 110 with some effort, 120 and more with some luck. Just don't get hit a Hunter, because they will waste valuable seconds.
We're talking about two different types of events. What I said above the quote isn't related to what JRW asked.

Gather tanks = kill the military events.

Random groups of infected = kill the infected events.

ezekial45

Banned
I'm gonna go crazy trying to find the last 4 WOI targets. They're 20/24, though i forgot which sequence that was. Also, i started new game+ and i can't jack helicopters yet. Which is making this a lot more difficult.

Papercuts

Fuu said:
really breaks the heli missions I mentioned earlier, in one of them I got more than 900 points while only 300 was needed for gold.

Yeah, but again, that almost seemed needed. :lol

If you go for the targets, it takes too long. I went down streets lobbing missiles and still didn't make it because I was too high. Flying low seemed necessary because more pedestrians spawn for you to kill, even though you then overkill the score.

JRW

Fuu said:

Yup. The vehicles will stay there when the event starts.

Wow nice, yea those events seem a bit unfair at times..ill have to keep this in mind.

I *finally* got Gold in the damn hammerfist event (with pure luck) lol. I think I only have 4 events left to get gold in.

Pimpbaa

Urban Scholar said:
With that said....
I need some closure some real freaking closure here. Was the blackwatch guy Greene's kid? Seemed like he may have been absorbed.... I think? Anyway I'm confused about the whole scenario. Alex human screwed everybody, what drove the virus once it knew what it was?, is his sister ok? Is it just me or is their room for a sequel? Can I get real bloody answers if I complete the web of intrigue?

I was wondering about his sister too. It's like he forgets all about her or something.

Pimpbaa said:
I was wondering about his sister too. It's like he forgets all about her or something.

Its left unanswered, but when Alex finds out he's just a virus that's absorbed Mercer, he seems to lose the motivation in protecting Alex's family. We might find out later, since the whole Pariah thing seems to hint at a sequel.

Ashour

Sorry if asked before, it gives me an error when I try to search this thread.

So I'm almost done with the game, will I be able to go back and collect what I missed and do the side missions after the game ends?

Pimpbaa

Ashour said:
Sorry if asked before, it gives me an error when I try to search this thread.

So I'm almost done with the game, will I be able to go back and collect what I missed and do the side missions after the game ends?

Yup.

mujun

I'm about 5 hours in now and I'm really digging the game.

Story is still tripe, graphics are still meh and there isn't much to the gameplay but for the same reasons as Crackdown I am having lots of fun. The combat is frenetic, fun and I love the variety of powers (stretchy arm is sweet). Moving around the city is also really fun and I get a slight feel of vertigo when I crash to the ground after super jumping from the top of a tall building.

Infamous is more than likely the better made game but Prototype is more fun and more in line with what I want out of this type of game.

Quick Q about the WoI... one of my marks got blowed the fuck up in a crowd and the mission complete got triggered barely a split second later.

Am I boned? Can I no longer complete the WoI?

Fuu

Monkeylord said:
Quick Q about the WoI... one of my marks got blowed the fuck up in a crowd and the mission complete got triggered barely a split second later.

The target will be resurrected after a while, don't worry.

Joba62x

Neo Member
Monkeylord said:

In the zombie areas I had tanks constantly killing WoI tagets, they respawn , you dont even need to leave the area, I had targets spawn on my map after running around the block for 1 minute.

K' Dash

ShockingAlberto said:
Activision's decision making process for sequels:

- Did it make profit?

(No) Then no.
(Yes) Make seven.

Don't worry then, we'll probably see a sequel around fall
this year

JRW

Holy crap you guys weren't kidding about the later mission difficulty, I'm on mission 29 and getting my ass handed to me IMMEDIATELY. It's laughable how difficult it is really.

Has anyone managed to get a Dualshock working on the PC version? It's just not recognising the pad at all. I've got a working driver for the pad, it's worked in other games. Prototype will not see it though.

Papercuts

Fuu said:
The target will be resurrected after a while, don't worry.

Yup. Late in the game you're probably better off waiting until you finish the main story before you go after Web targets, most of them die within a second of spawning otherwise. :lol

I have no idea what number mission I'm on, but last night I defeated
Elizabeth Greene/Vagina monster

Must be close to the end now. Maybe I should start doing some of these events - got a couple done at gold, and a couple at bronze, but for the most part they've been left untouched.

Should I bother, or just kill off the story missions with great gusto and pointy things?

webrunner said:
Just picked this up (and got the t-shirt)

Is it a good idea to save EP or should I try to buy everything available?
I say start buying upgrades or you won't last too long.

fernoca

Don't know if this was posted already, but..

New wallpapers are being released/posted in the official forum..official wallapers not found anywhere else..

As of June 25, there are 3 wallpapers:
1. Game cover
2. Know your enemies
3. Bodysurfing is not a crime

I'll just say that some people will get a laugh at the.."Know your enemies" one..

v5l9ax.png

Wallpapers here...

sarcastor

is it me or is this game have the worst frame rate EVAR?

I don't think the engine can handle two tanks, three helicopters and 15 people shooting at me, yet everytime i kill like 3 people, i get continually assraped at 2 FUCKING FRAMES a second.

beat

Sarcastor, are you playing PC? Upthread people said certain USB devices hooked up will kill your framerate.

I played on X360 and felt the framerate drops weren't atrocious when things got hectic.

TheFallen

fernoca said:
I'll just say that some people will get a laugh at the.."Know your enemies" one..
I'm still awaiting Prototype to arrive, but I keep seeing this chain-linked fence thing. What's it all about?

Kritz

Banned
I picked this up on PC today, and while the game is kind of fun, the keyboard and mouse controls are absolute ass. Auto-targeting sucks, no mouse4 or mouse5 support, munted WASD movement... just seems like a terrible port.

Has anyone played this with a controller on PC? I might pick up one of those wired Xbox controllers if it means the game will feel less janky.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Kritz said:
I picked this up on PC today, and while the game is kind of fun, the keyboard and mouse controls are absolute ass. Auto-targeting sucks, no mouse4 or mouse5 support, munted WASD movement... just seems like a terrible port.

Has anyone played this with a controller on PC? I might pick up one of those wired Xbox controllers if it means the game will feel less janky.

The Xbox 360 controller is automatically recognized and set up if you have it plugged in when starting the game. Considering how many recent PC games are just (usually) better versions of console games, it is definitely wise to have a wired 360 controller around especially since so many games are supporting it natively now.

--

I guess I'll write my initial impressions on the game here.

Let me start by saying that out of all the "summer sandbox games" I was initially most excited about Prototype, then inFAMOUS followed by Red Faction. As the game got closer and closer to release and a lot of negative opinions started flowing in about Prototype my interest dropped a bit. The other day I went out and picked up inFAMOUS and Red Faction (360). I put an hour into inFAMOUS and enjoyed it before trying out Red Faction which really surprised me. The quality of that game is fantastic and I have already put in a good 5 hours into it.

This morning a friend of mine who bought Prototype on Steam allowed me to log in to his account and give it a try on my computer to see if I liked it. I downloaded the game and put in a little over an hour (I got to the part where you can finally start upgrading powers) and I have to say that I am pretty disappointed.

First of all the graphics are really quite bad. I knew they wouldn't be amazing after seeing the screenshots, but the game looks even worse in person. I checked the options screen multiple times to see if there was some hidden menu that let me mess with advanced graphics options, but unfortunately there wasn't. This game looks like one of those quick Xbox 360 ports from 2005 - 2006 of last-gen games where they just jacked up the resolution, threw in some shader effects and added in bloom. The NPC models in particular are just awful.

The ability to run and fly through the city is pretty fun, but the city just seems to damn bland so far. I haven't played the game very much, so it may get better, but so far the action hasn't been a whole lot of fun. Even at this stage everything seems very chaotic and I constantly feel like Alex is doing things that I didn't command him to do. I wouldn't say the controls are jerky, but I frequently found myself having problems attacking the target I wanted to in the way I wanted to.

I'm sure the game gets better as it goes along, but compared to inFAMOUS and especially Red Faction which hooked me instantly, Prototype leaves a lot to be desired. I initially planned on picking it up on Steam at release, but I think I will wait until I can get it at $24.99 or less.

beat

TheFallen said:
I'm still awaiting Prototype to arrive, but I keep seeing this chain-linked fence thing. What's it all about?
Alex can run right over (or through!) chain link fences as well as everything else. Cole, the protagonist of the nominally competing product "Infamous", can climb everything in his world except chain link fences.

(neither can swim...)

sarcastor

beat said:
Sarcastor, are you playing PC? Upthread people said certain USB devices hooked up will kill your framerate.

I played on X360 and felt the framerate drops weren't atrocious when things got hectic.

I'm on the x360. wait till you get 3-4 tanks plus 3-4 hunters on the screen at once. the framerate waaaay down. at least for me it does, but since its a console, it should be the same for everyone?

Papercuts

sarcastor said:
I'm on the x360. wait till you get 3-4 tanks plus 3-4 hunters on the screen at once. the framerate waaaay down. at least for me it does, but since its a console, it should be the same for everyone?

It should be, dunno what the problem is. I've had waaaay more than 3-4 tanks fighting hunters on the screen and don't have any visible framerate drops.

Top Bottom