• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official "Real-Time with Bill Maher" Thread

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
This guy's neck! He's like a giraffe!

edit: He's also horrible. Jesus christ. Huffpo is a fucking cesspool.

Shadow780

Really bad panel this week, the first guy mastered the art of saying lot while saying nothing at all, the lady's a cheerleader and the 3rd guy is invisible other than trying to be funny.

Fantastic New Rules tho.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Crappy panel, great final new rule. Where does he find these clowns?

I wasn't a fan of pretty much the entire panel. I really wish HBO would go back to ordering only 20-25 episodes of Real Time a season. 35 is too many and Bill clearly doesn't have enough guests for that many shows.

But I like when CNN contributors, especially Republican ones, come off as either batshit insane or totally not Republican at all

That guy on the left of the panel in the black suit. The bald one. He looks like a skinnier version of the Big Show. It was pretty disturbing.

inm8num2

What Horace Cooper failed to realize is that scientific methods and technology since the time of Galileo have changed.

The whole "We thought the earth was flat and were wrong, so it's possible we're wrong about climate change" rationale is beyond silly. If anything the argument would be, "We thought the earth was flat but science and exploration eventually showed otherwise. This was an early example of the power and value of scientific research. In the modern era there is overwhelming agreement on climate change in scientific communities. The research has been done, and we should use that research to focus on problem solving."

I grow insanely tired of this type of circular, backwards logic that's used to stalemate progress on these issues. Horace Cooper saying that he wants to see the opposing research before he's convinced is absurd from the standpoint that it's already been done. The consensus has been reached. It's not surprising when you think about how gridlocked we are on these issues because half of Congress thinks the same way. If there were just some way where we didn't need the approval or validation of people like Horace Cooper on these issues. We're never going to get it, so let's stop trying to convince them.

I just don't get the motivation behind complete rejection of scientific research. Is it cognitive dissonance? Not being able to rationalize that something in the world has an explanation that doesn't come from a religious text?

muddream

Banned
What Horace Cooper failed to realize is that scientific methods and technology since the time of Galileo have changed.

The whole "We thought the earth was flat and were wrong, so it's possible we're wrong about climate change" rationale is beyond silly. If anything the argument would be, "We thought the earth was flat but science and exploration eventually showed otherwise. This was an early example of the power and value of scientific research. In the modern era there is overwhelming agreement on climate change in scientific communities. The research has been done, and we should use that research to focus on problem solving."

I grow insanely tired of this type of circular, backwards logic that's used to stalemate progress on these issues. Horace Cooper saying that he wants to see the opposing research before he's convinced is absurd from the standpoint that it's already been done. The consensus has been reached. It's not surprising when you think about how gridlocked we are on these issues because half of Congress thinks the same way. If there were just some way where we didn't need the approval or validation of people like Horace Cooper on these issues. We're never going to get it, so let's stop trying to convince them.

I just don't get the motivation behind complete rejection of scientific research. Is it cognitive dissonance? Not being able to rationalize that something in the world has an explanation that doesn't come from a religious text?

I've been advocating for years that releasing sarin gas into the ventilation systems of every Walmart on Black Friday would solve most societal problems. Unfortunately, the Waltons have not been responding to my letters :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JHEqBLG650

We had mother fuckers like this over 2,000 years ago

Some select people across known history were taking a stabs at it.

Today we got mother fuckers for who that term in its worst context is too nice like Horace Cooper. He has no excuse. The lies and bullshiting dragging down humanity for what? A few bucks and stroking his ego penis that the fat fuck hasn't seen since around the time Halley's Comet last visited.

I'm pretty sure I like you.

master15

Really disruptive episode with little or no flow with the panel and discussion. Grover and other republican had very little to say and while Rula may be a pretty face she torpedoed a lot of discussion.

Liked when music prompt happened at the end of new rules and bill asked if anyone else heard that.

muddream

Banned
I liked when Dan Savage was on the "I Love the 70s/80s" shows though he was especially quick witted last night.

I don't know, he made me laugh at the beginning, but I can only take that kind of gay snarkyness in small doses, pause.

I feel like there's been a recent trend where we get a blowhead guest, a silent guest, a gimmick guest and then it takes a very special 4th guest to save the panel.

sruckus

Really disruptive episode with little or no flow with the panel and discussion. Grover and other republican had very little to say and while Rula may be a pretty face she torpedoed a lot of discussion.

This. She's done it before and it feels to me that she was back on too soon. Can't stand how she takes over every discussion.

Oh and glad Savage was on, but wish he was on the full panel. He needs to be on more often.

Jooney

I can look at Rula Jebreal for hours and not get bored

I'm with you brother.

But in terms of discussion I think she let the panel down. I agreed with most of what she was saying, but she was combative with the other guests and tried to demagogue them into positions they don't hold. I also think the crowd didn't do the panel any favours by clapping and cheering whenever she made a point, liked the trained seals they are.

While I didn't agree with much of what was said by Grover and Connie Mack, I think they caught a rough deal with Rula and Bill interrupting them and taking too long to make their points. I think Connie was justified in asking why he should have come on the show.

inm8num2

Back tonight. Interested to see what he says about Syria.

Roundtable:
Matt Taibbi (Rolling Stone)
Zanny Minton-Beddoes (economist)
Michael Steele (former RNC chairman)

Mid-show interview:
Bill Nye the mother fucking Science Guy

Top Bottom