• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Smallville Season 9 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I finally saw the ending and wow, there has not been that good of a finale in such a long time. That fight with Zod was pretty epic. I was hoping someone had an animated GIF of Clark sucker punching Zod after Zod threw Lois. I loved the opening with the flash forward and Dr. Fate talking, not to mention the cock tease of Clark's mom giving him the outfit.

spidye

mYm|17| said:
Season 10 will be the last. At least that's what I read on Kryptonsite.

I seriously hope they go all out and we see Clark fly with the suit
it's confirmed to be the last season
ign said:
Variety reported that The CW is confirming that Smallville will end next season.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Yep season 10 is the end. They better go all out and give us a great pay off.

God I can't believe I have been watching this show for a decade, it's going to feel odd when it's all over.

mYm|17|

Matrix said:
Yep season 10 is the end. They better go all out and give us a great pay off.

God I can't believe I have been watching this show for a decade, it's going to feel odd when it's all over.

Yea really. The series started when I was a freshman in High School.............................memories

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
mYm|17| said:
Yea really. The series started when I was a freshman in High School.............................memories
I was 21 when this show started, you do the math lol

I still can't fly either.

Ashhong

i guess i was 11...holy shit :lol

i remember watching the show once in a while in season 1 on my old ass TV (that was really awesome because i could set it to have sound from tv while playing video from my n64, multitask ftw). as soon as i the season 1 finale i was hooked. sat there with chills as i could hear the hurricane over the end credits.

Matrix

Whats sad for me is at the time when he super sped into the Tornado the inner Superman geek in me assumed he would start flying soon or would have to fly to save Lana when the scene ended :lol Oh how I was wrong.

Ashhong

Matrix said:
Whats sad for me is at the time when he super sped into the Tornado the inner Superman geek in me assumed he would start flying soon or would have to fly to save Lana when the scene ended :lol Oh how I was wrong.

:lol i can only imagine how disappointed you were....for the next 9 years :lol

Matrix

Ashhong said:
:lol i can only imagine how disappointed you were....for the next 9 years :lol
I had my geek out flying moment season 4 for all of less than 10 mins, but we all know that doesn't count cause he wasn't Clark Kent :p

Sounds cool!

I too hope they go all out.

I wanna see flights and tights mothafuckas!

Ten fucking years!

And four eps into season 10 it will become the longest running scifi series in TV history!

Take that haters!

ZeoVGM

Banned
Thunder Monkey said:
Sounds cool!

Ten fucking years!

And four eps into season 10 it will become the longest running scifi series in TV history!

Take that haters!

Wikipedia says that will happen when Smallville hits episode #215, which they say is episode 20 of next season. That will beat Stargate SG-1's 214 episodes. Of course, they're counting "Absolute Justice" as one episode, when in fact it is two, meaning #215 is actually episode 19 next season.

Will be interesting to see what The CW markets as the 200th episode. It's technically the 4th episode of season 10 but if The CW mistakenly counts "Absolute Justice" as one episode, it'll be the 5th.

ZeoVGM

Banned
The Wiki editors are such fucking Nazis. I tried to edit the Smallville pages so they all matched up with the fact that the series is at 196 episodes, not 196, as all their pages count "Absolute Justice" as one episode. But those were originally two different episodes called "Society" and "Legends" that were combined into a two hour special. They both have different production numbers and even different directors.

But 3 minutes after I fixed it, someone changed it back. Not even bothering.

omg rite said:
Wikipedia says that will happen when Smallville hits episode #215, which they say is episode 20 of next season. That will beat Stargate SG-1's 214 episodes. Of course, they're counting "Absolute Justice" as one episode, when in fact it is two, meaning #215 is actually episode 19 next season.

Will be interesting to see what The CW markets as the 200th episode. It's technically the 4th episode of season 10 but if The CW mistakenly counts "Absolute Justice" as one episode, it'll be the 5th.
Heh.

I thought Stargate only had 200 episodes.

ZeoVGM

Banned
It's official: Allison Mack will not be returning to Smallville as a series regular.

http://ausiellofiles.ew.com/2010/05/19/allison-mack-smallville/

I’ve got good news and bad news for fans of Smallville heroine Allison Mack. The actress has opted not to return as a series regular for the show’s 10th and final season. That’s the bad news. Here’s the good: You have not seen the last of Chloe — not by a long-shot

“It’s amazing to think that Chloe Sullivan and I have been one in the same for over a third of my life,” says Mack in an exclusive statement. “I’m truly humbled by the love and loyalty of all the fans whose enthusiasm has carried me — along with a cast and crew which has become my second family — over the past 9 and a half years. Out of respect for the amazingly loyal fans and the place I will always have in my own heart for Chloe, I’m coming back for several episodes next season to tie up Chloe’s Smallville legacy properly.

Kind of lame. I mean it's confirmed as the final season so why not stay along for the ride and go out with a bang? And where do they take the Watchtower story now? Who runs it?

I wonder if that means she'll be a "special guest star" for a few episodes like Lana in season 8 or if she'll do a half-season contract like Erica Durance used to have. Of course that would technically make her a series regular.

So much for man fan fiction dream of them having Chloe hurt badly and made to be wheelchair-bound, only to start going by the name Oracle. :(

omg rite said:
It's official: Allison Mack will not be returning to Smallville as a series regular.

http://ausiellofiles.ew.com/2010/05/19/allison-mack-smallville/

Kind of lame. I mean it's confirmed as the final season so why not stay along for the ride and go out with a bang? And where do they take the Watchtower story now? Who runs it?
Interesting.

Wonder if Hartley is going to leave around the same time.

Green Arrow and Chloe go to Star City?

Milabrega

omg rite said:
I hope we get the Booster Gold episode that Geoff Johns said he wants to do in season 10.

Booster Gold would kick ass. I'm hoping for Question, easy to do with Smallville's tiny budget and easy to work in with any and all grandiose conspiracy storylines. Question would make for a better combo with Chloe than Green Arrow which is being forced in atm. Wildcat would be great too, but he was part of that now deceased JSA photo group.

Edit: typed this up before the Mack post was made. heh.

Darkseid should totally Omega Force Chloe out of existence.

Milabrega said:
Booster Gold would kick ass. I'm hoping for Question, easy to do with Smallville's tiny budget and easy to work in with any and all grandiose conspiracy storylines. Question would make for a better combo with Chloe than Green Arrow which is being forced in atm. Wildcat would be great too, but he was part of that now deceased JSA photo group.
I'm hoping for a Booster Gold and Blue Beetle episode.

A Question episode would be fucking awesome though. I can see Tom Welling looking at him like he's nuts really easily.

Milabrega

Question is too cool for an episode he needs a full on arch. Booster Gold and Blue Beetle each getting an episode and then a combined one would be cool.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Chloe's weird. People either hate her or she's a huge fan favorite. I like her though, she has a purpose on the show now. That being said, I would like to see her character go in a new direction if they kept her on full time.

So it looks like, most likely, we'll be losing Callum Blue and Allison Mack as series regulars. That saves some budget I guess. :lol

Though I would like to see that budget go to getting Martha and Perry (their real names escape me at the moment) back for maybe 13-episode contracts (no more though, as it wouldn't be needed).

ZeoVGM

Banned
Milabrega said:
Booster Gold would kick ass.

A Booster Gold episode could be awesome. How great would it be to get John Schneider back for an episode as Booster Gold and Clark visit an alternate timeline?

Matrix

I'm glad the Chloe character is leaving, Clark is about to become Superman. He honestly shouldn't need her anymore.

The one thing that's annoyed me over the last couple of years is Clark depending so much on her and sometimes they make him look like a complete idiot compared to her. I don't recall Clark in any form of comics, shows, etc being dumber than a human.

I know this is an elseworld like take on the mythology, but it's always annoyed me.

Ashhong

omg rite said:
The Wiki editors are such fucking Nazis. I tried to edit the Smallville pages so they all matched up with the fact that the series is at 196 episodes, not 196, as all their pages count "Absolute Justice" as one episode. But those were originally two different episodes called "Society" and "Legends" that were combined into a two hour special. They both have different production numbers and even different directors.

But 3 minutes after I fixed it, someone changed it back. Not even bothering.

If it was combined in the end as Absolute Justice, I would count that as 1, even though it started out as 2.

And I'm pretty tired of Chloe too, but that is just lame that she "opts not to return" in the 10th and FINAL season of the show she has been on for the last 10 years. Its one thing for the writers to feel the need to get rid of her on the show and maybe kill her or send her off to some other country, but to opt out just seems fucked up. Thats just me though...

ZeoVGM

Banned
Ashhong said:
If it was combined in the end as Absolute Justice, I would count that as 1, even though it started out as 2.

Yeah but technically it's two episodes. They were directed by two different people and in syndication, the first hour would end with "To Be Continued".

It's like the Lost finales. They air as two hours but are really two episodes combined and they are then split up on the DVDs, always. (And those are usually written and directed by the same people.)

Though I guess the final answer will come in the form of the DVD and whether or not the episodes will be split up.

And I'm pretty tired of Chloe too, but that is just lame that she "opts not to return" in the 10th and FINAL season of the show she has been on for the last 10 years. Its one thing for the writers to feel the need to get rid of her on the show and maybe kill her or send her off to some other country, but to opt out just seems fucked up. Thats just me though...

Basically agreed on this though I'm really not tired of her. Loved her this season.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Solo said:
Yeah, the only decent female character this show has ever had is gone! Fuck yeah!

What...................?

Erica's Lois has been fantastic this and last year. She stepped up her game a lot.

And how dare you say Martha wasn't a good character!

shawnlreed

After watching the finale, I've decided the writers must want people to hate Clark.
I just can't think of any other reason for his behavior.
He tells Lois he has realized "she's the one" for him. She confesses she would sacrifice her career, and not go to Africa for him.
And then ..... when he gets wind of the fact that she wants to know his secret, he does 180 and tells her he's totally cool with her leaving.
Despite the fact that his Mom just told him he should be honest with Lois.
And the fact that a practically all the other side characters including Tess know his identity.
Does anyone watch this scene and think "Yeah Clark, keep the secret. That's the right thing to do" ?

Thunder Monkey said:
Sounds cool!

Ten fucking years!

Take that haters!
You mean in US TV History.

Doctor Who says hi.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Here's the Smallville blurb from The CW's press release:

8:00-9:00 P.M. “SMALLVILLE”

Entering its explosive tenth and final season, SMALLVILLE culminates in the epic rise of the world’s ultimate hero – Superman. Finally working alongside the intrepid Lois Lane at the Daily Planet, Clark Kent had accepted his destiny as the guardian of Metropolis when General Zod arrived, challenging Clark’s authority and power. Just when the romance between Clark and Lois began to bloom, Clark was called into duty by the legendary Justice Society and his own burgeoning league of heroes to fight the gathering dark forces. As season nine drew to a close, Clark sacrificed himself to save the world from Zod. Season ten promises the classic reuniting of the timeless romance between Clark and Lois, and brings Clark face-to-face with his destiny as he overcomes his final trials and forges the iconic identity that will be known for all time. The series stars Tom Welling as Clark Kent, Erica Durance as Lois Lane, Justin Hartley as Oliver Queen and Cassidy Freeman as Tess Mercer. SMALLVILLE was developed for television by Alfred Gough & Miles Millar (“Shanghai Noon,” “The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor”), based on the DC Comics characters. Kelly Souders & Brian Peterson serve as executive producers, along with James Marshall, Mike Tollin, Brian Robbins, Joe Davola and Tom Welling. The series is produced by Tollin/Robbins Productions, Millar/Gough Ink and Warner Bros. Television. SUPERMAN was created by Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster.

So yes, Chloe and Zod are out. Though it's a safe bet the series won't only star those 4 listed and that the bad guy will be a series regular or they'll have someone else planned.

Also, Supernatural is moving to Friday nights at 9 so the kick-ass pairing from previous years is back.

Milabrega

They should drop Tess as a regular as well, save some budgets for fights. I still think Granny Goodness will convert her to a Fury so that can take away plenty of episodes to do. Wonder if they'll bring an intergang storyline that comes full equipped with an upgraded Metallo.

Let's not dump on Dr Who, show kicks ass as well. Watch Blink and The Girl in the Fireplace to see why.

Matrix

More info from Welling.....

Speaking of legacies, Clark has his own to pursue during this final season. After all, in the May 14 season-ender we saw him first set his eyes on the iconic suit he one day will don as Superman. As Clark “overcomes his final trials and forges the iconic identity that will be known for all time” (as a CW press release puts it), both Ostroff and series lead/executive producer Tom Welling are hinting at the return of familiar faces.

In Season 10, “There’s going to be a lot of nostalgia,” says Ostroff, “and a lot of interesting guest cast [members] who are going to come back.”

Such as…? Welling told Fancast he’d “definitely like to see Michael Rosenbaum” return, saying, “With Clark propelled into being Superman, how do you do it without a Lex Luthor? That just doesn’t make sense to me.”

Welling also expressed his wish to (somehow) see John Schneider reprise his role of dearly departed Jonathan Kent.

As for the women in the Man of Steel’s life, Welling said that first of all, he hopes that Lois learning Clark’s secret in the Season 9 finale “sticks,” quipping, “I hope she doesn’t, like, bump her head and forget. That’d be too easy.”

Instead, he’d like to see Lois stay in the loop and perhaps compare notes with one of the few others who know of his super alter ego.

“I’d like to see Clark walk into the Daily Planet and see Lana (played by Kristin Kreuk) talking to Lois,” he says. “I wonder what would happen there!”

Also welling interviewed about the suit and other stuff... http://tv.ign.com/articles/109/1091416p1.html

Sounds like he might wear it and is Welling is still nervous about doing it after all these years.

mYm|17|

Matrix said:
Sounds like he might wear it and is Welling is still nervous about doing it after all these years.

YES!!!!!, he better.

I remember a long time ago when he said he would never wear it

Matrix

What sucks is the budget isn't going to be increased one bit.... as of now. If he wears the suit more than once with flying, cw will make Welling play it old school and have him jump out a window off two feet like George Reeves cause they won't afford to make great flying scenes like from season 4.

Plus if they have a shit ton of guests back on the show, there goes money. I don't see why we need Lana back and did welling forget that she's practically walking kryptonite.

KamenSenshi

That will be great if he wears it. I remember reading that be never would, at least not till the last episode. That raises a question though, if he wears it before the end how soon will he learn to fly? could be in the premire I guess.

Aren't all these mentions of "no tights, no flights" from the original show runners?

Smallville is pretty much free to have Kal fly in the opener with the blue and red s on as well.

That said I'd rather have a 2-3 ep build up to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom