• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Smallville Season 9 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Vyer said:
I haven't been keeping up with this season as much but am still DVRing it. lol. Because of this thread I remembered to watch the finale.

Wow. Great, great episode.

I paused and went frame by frame in the intro to see how much of Superman lifting the helicopter from underneath I could see in the reflection of the globe. :D

No way to screen cap, so I used my Droid instead. Awesome. :D

n5mqhl.jpg

2rzp2s0.jpg

Ugh. All this talk about the opening and I missed the first 7 or so minutes. And what's funny is I was hoping I hadn't missed anything. LOL.

Poyunch

I understand that Clark was doing but what possibly would Zod accomplish with a blue kryptonite dagger? He'd have to brutally kill Clark with that thing if he would accomplish getting rid of Clark and remain on Earth. Just saying. It doesn't really matter. I don't want to derail this thread because overall it was great episode and finale.

PounchEnvy said:
I understand that Clark was doing but what possibly would Zod accomplish with a blue kryptonite dagger? He'd have to brutally kill Clark with that thing if he would accomplish getting rid of Clark and remain on Earth. Just saying. It doesn't really matter. I don't want to derail this thread because overall it was great episode and finale.
Well, I think he intended to do just that. But he didn't follow through. Only thing he had to do differently was stab Clark, but make sure it was an instant, fatal wound. Technically where he was stabbed would most likely do that, without immediate medical assistance, but once the blue kryptonite was away he'd go back to being his normal super self. Zod needed to kill him outright, before that could happen.

Then he could just take the Book of Rao out from the crystals be able to rule Earth uncontested from the Kandorians or Clark.

Ashhong

how does the blue kryptonite work in Superman lore? can he die from it if the blue kryp is taken away? wouldnt he just heal?

spidye

Ashhong said:
how does the blue kryptonite work in Superman lore? can he die from it if the blue kryp is taken away? wouldnt he just heal?
that's what wiki says:
wikipedia said:
Blue kryptonite is the Bizarro analogue to green kryptonite. Using Bizarro logic, this, in general, hurts Bizarros while having beneficial effects on ordinary Kryptonians.

Pre-Crisis, blue kryptonite is the result of using Professor Potter's "duplicator ray" on some green kryptonite. Here, blue kryptonite affects Bizarros like green kryptonite affects Kryptonians. Blue kryptonite radiation is not blocked by normal lead, but by imperfectly duplicated lead. Bizarro World had animated Blue Kryptonite golems underground that surfaced and attacked the Super-Powered Bizarros while the delighted non-powered Bizarros cheered them on[volume & issue needed]. In the Super Friends episode "Terror from the Phantom Zone", blue kryptonite heals Superman from the effects of red kryptonite. Post-Crisis, its origin is unknown. Here, blue kryptonite makes Bizarros become polite, goodhearted, coherent, and intelligent.[21] Also, while It does cause physical pain much like green kryptonite affects Superman to Bizarros, its psychological effect is the one thats most disconcerting to them, just like if Superman became illogical, unintelligent and, subsequently dangerous in reverse, but knew the condition wasn't normal, he'd want to return to normal. Normalcy is considered personally and socially undesirable and unbearable to Bizarros, hence their aversion to Blue Kryptonite

In the television series Smallville, blue kryptonite suppresses Kryptonians' powers and removes their sensitivity to green kryptonite. Blue kryptonite was first introduced as a Victory Ring given to Clark by a replicant of his mother Lara-El in "Blue". Also in Smallville, Bizarro's powers were increased exponentially by blue kryptonite- this version of Bizarro being an 'inverted' Clark, weakened by sunlight and strengthened by green kryptonite-, overloading his body with power and killing him, much like "a light bulb being powered by a nuclear reactor", in the episode "Persona".

In episode 7 of season 9, titled "Kandor" Jor-El is shown using blue kryptonite to remove the powers bestowed by Earth's yellow sun upon the Kandorian soldiers led by Zod as he prepares an orb which will carry to Earth the DNA clones of several of the Kryptonian capital's finest soldiers.

In Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths, blue kryptonite has the same weakening effect on Ultraman that green Kryptonite has on Superman.

Ashhong

unless i missed it, that wiki doesnt say would happen if Clark gets stabbed in the heart by Blue, and then the Blue is taken away. If he would just heal, then Zod would have to leave the Blue in Clark, thus sending himself into "space". So im going to assume that according to Smallville, Clark can only heal when alive. However I almost remember some episodes where Clark was powerless, dead, and then came back to life when something happened...maybe not though.

spidye

Ashhong said:
unless i missed it, that wiki doesnt say would happen if Clark gets stabbed in the heart by Blue, and then the Blue is taken away. If he would just heal, then Zod would have to leave the Blue in Clark, thus sending himself into "space". So im going to assume that according to Smallville, Clark can only heal when alive. However I almost remember some episodes where Clark was powerless, dead, and then came back to life when something happened...maybe not though.
yeah smallvile has it's own rules

Oh yeah.

Momma Kent gave him a new Red blue and yellow costume. Whose to say it's the suit suit, but hell. I just thought that finale was fucking awesome. Best season since 5 I'd say.

Baki

Wow, awesome epsiode. Hope he flies next season. On that note, anyone notice that Martha gave him the suit. :D

I can't believe I'm excited, damn near giddy for a tenth season.

I stopped watching the show at season 4, didn't really watch more then the occasional episode after that, and really thought it was getting pretty close to awful. Only to get hooked on season 8, and become a bigger fan than I ever was before in season 9.

And season 10 is going to have Darkseid!

My pants are now full of semen.

Solo

They really need to keep bringing back these old Smallville directors who really understand the show and its aesthetic. More Beeman and James Marshall please!

Great finale, who's granny? WTF is attacking Green Arrow? Who's saving Clark? he's not putting the suit on until series finale, season 10 is the last one IMO.

Solo

If you visit Kryptonsite, theres a link to Beeman's blog about the ep. Good little read. His first episode since episode 100, when Papa Kent died.

Solo said:
If you visit Kryptonsite, theres a link to Beeman's blog about the ep. Good little read. His first episode since episode 100, when Papa Kent died.
Seriously great episode.

Capped off what I thought was a pretty damn good season.

Funny stuff. Years after jumping the shark, and then the dreaded double shark. Smallville again finds its footing. I hope season 10 has the same feel.

Solo

Beeman confirms the blatantly obvious for those of us who've been watching since S1: the show saw "extreme" budget cuts since he left. He departed at the end of S5, which was the final season on the WB. So it was the move to the CW that effectively killed the show's budget. Makes sense, since S1-S5 have a LOT more going for them from a production standpoint than S6-S9 do. Shit, the early seasons used to have 3-4 licensed songs in every single episode. The last two seasons combined might have seen 3-4 songs.

Solo said:
Beeman confirms the blatantly obvious for those of us who've been watching since S1: the show saw "extreme" budget cuts since he left. He departed at the end of S5, which was the final season on the WB. So it was the move to the CW that effectively killed the show's budget. Makes sense, since S1-S5 have a LOT more going for them from a production standpoint than S6-S9 do. Shit, the early seasons used to have 3-4 licensed songs in every single episode. The last two seasons combined might have seen 3-4 songs.
Season 7 and 8 they were having trouble finding their footing on the lowered budget.

They seem to know how to work around it now. Different camera angles on the same street can make a world of difference. Instead of the same shot... every... single... time... :lol

I've been anticipating Martha handing Clark his parent's crest and the blanket/cape they wrapped him around as a baby. They did that well in Lois & Clark, it was a moment where you could appreciate both families and how they came together.

It was a let down in how nonchalantly they handled it in last night's episode. Just a cheap CGI reflection of Clark's eyes. Martha should have been there to give to him.

Weenerz

Banned
Next season they should cut the episode amount in half and double the special effects budget per episode. Cost the same and it wouldn't look like a youtube video.

Solo

Thunder Monkey said:
Season 7 and 8 they were having trouble finding their footing on the lowered budget.

They seem to know how to work around it now. Different camera angles on the same street can make a world of difference. Instead of the same shot... every... single... time... :lol

Its in the effects too though. They were much grander and more ambitious action and effects sequences back in the first few seasons. For a few years, Smallville had the best CG work going on television. Just constrast Clark flying in the S4 premiere to the flying in S9. Not even in the same ballpark.

God, Id love to see some hard numbers of what the budget per ep was in like S3/S4 and what it is now in S9.

Solo said:
Its in the effects too though. They were much grander and more ambitious action and effects sequences back in the first few seasons. For a few years, Smallville had the best CG work going on television. Just constrast Clark flying in the S4 premiere to the flying in S9. Not even in the same ballpark.

God, Id love to see some hard numbers of what the budget per ep was in like S3/S4 and what it is now in S9.
Probably completely anemic compared to the budget for the actors.:lol

I wasn't disagreeing with you, just saying they are getting better at hiding it. Even the CG they are getting better at doing with a low budget. It's still nowhere near as impressive as it was in the early years, but it's actually coming off more impressive now then in season 7, and even season 8.

But again I think they were finding their footing in those years.

So glad the original creators aren't tied to it anymore.

Solo

Thunder Monkey said:
Probably completely anemic compared to the budget for the actors.:lol

I wasn't disagreeing with you, just saying they are getting better at hiding it. Even the CG they are getting better at doing with a low budget. It's still nowhere near as impressive as it was in the early years, but it's actually coming off more impressive now then in season 7, and even season 8.

But again I think they were finding their footing in those years.

So glad the original creators aren't tied to it anymore.

Ideally they'd have the showrunners they do now, but with the early seasons' budget, buzz and support.

Solo said:
Ideally they'd have the showrunners they do now, but with the early seasons' budget, buzz and support.
That would be awesome... but it is ten years old.

You don't see that very often anyway. Especially for a scifi/comic book show.

WrikaWrek

Banned
This series is hilariously stupid.

So "The Blur" will become superman, when he has defeated all his enemies from the comic books. :lol

Dumb ass shit.

witness

Finally got around to watching the season finale today, what a great freaking episode. Haven't been this excited for a new Smallville season in a long time. 10 has to be the last one right?

WrikaWrek said:

So "The Blur" will become superman, when he has defeated all his enemies from the comic books. :lol

Dumb ass shit.
He outsmarted a reasonably weak Doomsday (Wow! Takes alot!) and set him up to be unearthed years later. Probably much stronger.

Brainiac is a program... it's pretty much impossible to defeat him, and Lex Luthor never dies.

Even when he dies on panel... that was a clone. The real Lex was over there... masturbating.

I say... it's a TV show based on a comic book. They for some reason or another don't want to delve too deeply into the tights and name. But it's as close to a Superman show as we've gotten since the 90's and it's not exactly bad.

It's not high art... but then again neither is its source material.

Take it for what it is. A sometimes vapid alternate universe telling of the Superman origin. It's got a delicious Lois Lane, a competent Green Arrow, and a pretty damn badass Clark Kent. With a large enough budget to do his superspeed, strength, heat vision, and freezing breath justice.

Also Erica Durance in sexy costumes. Can't forget that.

Flash

As soon as i heard "they're not Kandorians" i knew it was the "Apokolips coming", as alluded by Waller earlier this season.

I didn't even pick up on the Granny Goodness reference but that just solidifies next season is about Dark Seid. now what's awesome about that? He's a God/cosmic emperor who is 100% evil and cannot be redeemed, so maybe we will see Clark (superman?) unleash it all against him with no restraints. Check out this video from justice league unlimited to see what i'm talking about (and see IMO the greatest superman fight in animated form).

loved the episode, first 5 minutes were amazing, the suit was awesome, and the cliffhanger was wow. one thing that bugged me was, as usual, chloe. first, she pretty much tells clark that he has to sacrifice himself to get rid of the kandorians (WTF?), and then when he decides that he will she pretty much just storms out of the room. he romantic relationship with oliver is forced and unnecessary, and watching those scenes just make me roll my eyes. all in all, can they just finally kill her off? have the martian take care of the watch tower as they have it in JLU.

That wasn't a dream. It was the future. Dr. Fate was narrating it. ;)

That said....Great Rao, that was amazing. Red/Blue jammies! Proper yellow shield!

I cannot bear to wait until the new Fall season! Darkseid is.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Great finale aside from how stupid Zod was.

Can't wait for Season 10. Hopefully we get flight and a real Superman style costume.

Poyunch

Chamber said:
Great finale aside from how stupid Zod was.

Can't wait for Season 10. Hopefully we get flight and a real Superman style costume.
Yeah I've got to say for an esteemed soldier of Krpyton he sure is incompetent both physically and tactically.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Solo said:
They really need to keep bringing back these old Smallville directors who really understand the show and its aesthetic. More Beeman and James Marshall please!

Solo said:

Yeah, I really hope they bring Beeman back a couple times next year, preferably for the premiere at least.

WrikaWrek said:

Dumb ass shit.

Who cares? It's Ultimate Superman, an alternate universe take on it. Just enjoy the ride.

krypt0nian said:
That wasn't a dream. It was the future. Dr. Fate was narrating it. ;)

Fate wasn't "narrating" it, that was a quote taken from the episode he was in. But hell, I hope it wasn't a dream, as that means the REAL Olsen comes back to life. ;D

Van Owen

Banned
omg rite said:
Yeah, I really hope they bring Beeman back a couple times next year, preferably for the premiere at least.

Who cares? It's Ultimate Superman, an alternate universe take on it. Just enjoy the ride.

Fate wasn't "narrating" it, that was a quote taken from the episode he was in. But hell, I hope it wasn't a dream, as that means the REAL Olsen comes back to life. ;D
I think the real Olsen is Jimmy's little brother who was at the funeral...

Anyway, it's still a fun but stupid show. At this point it's sort of tiring that every season goes on and on about Clark's destiny, which he knows and accepts, but will never realize. They either need to end it this season or put him in the suit and have him fly, because these pas few seasons have felt the same except Lex was replaced.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Van Owen said:
I think the real Olsen is Jimmy's little brother who was at the funeral...

Yeah I know. But if Clark's dream was a true vision of the future, that can't be possible as in 2013, Olsen's little brother would be like 13 years old.

Van Owen

Banned
omg rite said:
Yeah I know. But if Clark's dream was a true vision of the future, that can't be possible as in 2013, Olsen's little brother would be like 13 years old.
Age doesn't matter much. Clark is like in his 30s and can't fly. :lol

Van Owen said:
Age doesn't matter much. Clark is like in his 30s and can't fly. :lol
Tom Welling is 32 or 33 playing a 23 or 24 year old Clark Kent. He should have been flying by 15 and flying very well by 19.

But whatever. It doesn't kill my love of the show either way.

And that Jimmy kid could be 15 or 16 in 3 years. I was a short 11 year old too.

Van Owen

Banned
lol it really is insulting when everyone but Clark can fly minutes after getting their powers.

I mean, at this point he has defeated Doomsday, Brainiac, and Zod (TWICE). If you aren't going to put him in the suit at least make it so he doesn't run everywhere.

EDIT: of course I was exagerating about the age, but Clark is pretty fucking old at this point. And he certainly looks like he is in his 30s, although he hasn't aged as bad as Martha. :lol

Van Owen said:
lol it really is insulting when everyone but Clark can fly minutes after getting their powers.

I mean, at this point he has defeated Doomsday, Brainiac, and Zod (TWICE). If you aren't going to put him in the suit at least make it so he doesn't run everywhere.
I'm with you, but I doubt it's in the cards.

Though if the season 10 premiere is called Rebirth or Revival... then I'd say we might just have a vastly different season 10 then I originally expected.

I really don't see them keeping him grounded more than a couple episodes next year. They have to be hearing the outcry from the public at this point.

It's become horribly distracting at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom