• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

Mœbius

Wiseblade said:
Yeah. I've never been there before, but I figure that I may as well go this week and get some local practice.
Cool. It'll be pretty tough getting a game as it's usually rammed on Friday nights, but it's definitely worth it - top UK players including the likes of Ryan and Zak. I usually just go when it's a bit quieter at lunchtime so I can actually get some play time (and not get totally destroyed)! :lol

It still amazes me that people on XBL don't know that you can link a move after Balrog's standing roundhouse. So even if they block the move, I just push jap and go straight into a dash punch, and it hits because they pushed a button. :D

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Come on Haunts, you gotta upload that Leguna video! There are people who really want to see this match-up!

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Hitokage said:
Retail SF4 PC uses SecuROM and yeah, you need the disc in the tray from what I hear.

Not the Impulse version- uses GOO. (as does other Capcom games)

Any capcom game should only be bought off of Impulse, or maybe Steam (unsure if they have 3rd party DRM)

I wouldn't buy SF4 PC right now- wait for the inevitable super in 7-8 months.

Agreed on the HDR being more fun to play now, provided no Akuma. I even started playing SC4 again.

XenoRaven

Good games Greg. As you can see, I'm a slow learner.

I was really excited when I won the first three. And then you kept me out for the next 50. :lol

I have to keep reminding myself that just because I know a limb is coming, doesn't mean I'll be able to FA, jump it, or even go from walking to blocking in time, especially online. I took a lot of unnecessary damage and I need to get rid of those bad habits while finding another way to get in on you. It was especially frustrating when I did finally get in, and then I'd screw up a combo or something and then it was just THROW, ULTRA MIX UP, SUPER, DEATH.

Sorry for some of the random Ultras and crazy FA nonsense. It was a combination of testing things out and frustration. Always good to play you though, I think I learned a few more tricks this time.

AZ Greg

XenoRaven said:

I was really excited when I won the first three. And then you kept me out for the next 50. :lol

I have to keep reminding myself that just because I know a limb is coming, doesn't mean I'll be able to FA, jump it, or even go from walking to blocking in time, especially online. I took a lot of unnecessary damage and I need to get rid of those bad habits while finding another way to get in on you. It was especially frustrating when I did finally get in, and then I'd screw up a combo or something and then it was just THROW, ULTRA MIX UP, SUPER, DEATH.

Sorry for some of the random Ultras and crazy FA nonsense. It was a combination of testing things out and frustration. Always good to play you though, I think I learned a few more tricks this time.

GGs.

Your Chun is definitely getting better. There were times when you'd get in and string together some nice pokes and hit me with Chun's hazanshu/cr.short&sweep mix-up.

The one area I think you need to work on is your block string/hit confirming. You can do her cr.short x2 into ex legs, but you only seem to hit confirm into it when you're going into the attack at your own pace (jumping in attack to cr.shorts or walk up cr.shorts when I'm waking up). But when it's more in the heat of battle you'll stop hit confirming it and just do the ex legs or maybe one cr.short first. You'll also throw out one cr.short into ex legs after her df.HK which I can't imagine you're hit confirming since it's only one cr.short and it happens pretty quick. So what you end up doing is wasting ex meter on guesses. In the beginning when you won the first three I was getting hit by those as I wouldn't expect you to throw out the ex legs after I blocked your cr.shorts, but you'd throw it out and I'd get smacked.

Once I adjusted I started expecting and baiting them out. There were times when I'd have a good lead in a non-deciding round and rather than trying to finish it I'd short slide to block or teleport -> attack -> block (regardless of whether the attack hit). Generally you'd mash out an ex legs hoping to catch me and instead you'd just be out the meter going into the next round. Also, as Dhalsim, unless I block your legs at max. range and recover before you, I can't punish. And even when I can punish it isn't hard unless I have super. If that's why you were throwing out the non-hit confirmed legs then that makes a little more sense, but if that's more of a habit I'd imagine uppercut characters/Balrog/Rufus/and some others could probably punish you hard when you just throw some of those out there.

I don't really play Chun, but I'd imagine rather than always throwing the legs out you'd want to mix in more throws from the cr.shorts or more hazanshus to throw off your opponent when they block.

XenoRaven said:

Use the babe in your avatar and you got nothing to worry about goin against dhalsim :D

Hoppin on psn!!

XenoRaven

Yeah. I definitely need to get better at hit confirming stuff. This sounds silly, but I also need to get better and not always hitting the kick buttons when I buffer Ultra/Super motion. There were times where I buffered the motion, knew it wasn't going to hit, and just let it fly anyway. I'm working on getting better at that. I'm also working on getting better about not mashing my kick inputs for Legs. When you sent me that invite I was in training mode practicing hitting cr. lk, (cr. mk), cr. lk, (cr. mk), cr. lk + cr hk to get that EX legs combo, and hk, (mk, lk, mk), hk for HK, HK Legs. But when I get into a match I'm just not comfortable with doing it unless I'm really ready for it. So I just go back to mashing, which produces the results you saw. I'm working on hitting the link for Hazanshu, cr. lk in Training mode too, because that's another one I just mash out. I know I need to mix those throws in more. That's another bad habit from playing against my friend who plays a lot of Ryu and Ken used to mash dp a lot when the game first game out.

Anyway, thanks for the advice. Slowly but surely I feel like I'm putting the Dhalsim puzzle together. I hope I am anyway.

Use the babe in your avatar and you got nothing to worry about goin against dhalsim :D
I'm really interested in learning Cammy, and also Abel, Akuma, Viper, and when Super comes out, Ibuki. But I really like Chun a lot and want to continue to main her. The thing is, I'm so weak with her that I feel like I have a lot of work and practice to do to build her up before I tackle an alt. Plus, all those other characters are all motion characters, and all come with new little nuances that I'll have to practice at to feel comfortable with. Kinda like I had to learn to always maintain a charge with Chun. Now it's second nature, but when I first started out it was hard. So as it stands, I can't Cannon Spike, FADC, Ultra, or CoD, FADC, cr. hp, Ultra, etc. in a match. I can do it in Challenge Mode! But not a match. One day I'll get there. I'm committed to practicing the game more now. Whereas I played really really sporadically last year.

Lyte Edge

TaKeRx said:
GG's lyte edge. I'm never ready for those air grabs lmao.

You really shut me down with your Rog though! Kicked my ass all over the place. :lol

arstal said:

Any capcom game should only be bought off of Impulse, or maybe Steam (unsure if they have 3rd party DRM)

I wouldn't buy SF4 PC right now- wait for the inevitable super in 7-8 months.

Nah, I just want to get it to mess around. Plus any time I'm on the go, I'll have a far better version of SF4 to play than that iPhone port. :p

Agreed on the HDR being more fun to play now, provided no Akuma. I even started playing SC4 again.

It's really hard for me to go back and play HD Remix after so much SF4. I did pretty well with Honda last time I played though. Can't use Chun for shit.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Lyte Edge said:
You really shut me down with your Rog though! Kicked my ass all over the place. :lol

Nah, I just want to get it to mess around. Plus any time I'm on the go, I'll have a far better version of SF4 to play than that iPhone port. :p

It's really hard for me to go back and play HD Remix after so much SF4. I did pretty well with Honda last time I played though. Can't use Chun for shit.

Honda matches in HDR are won at the char select screen most of the time. Horrible character.

If that's the case, get Impulse version, less chance of Securom crap screwing your laptop up.

Lyte Edge

arstal said:
Honda matches in HDR are won at the char select screen most of the time. Horrible character.

If that's the case, get Impulse version, less chance of Securom crap screwing your laptop up.

Sorry, I don't know what you mean by "Impulse version." EDIT: Ah, I see. This is better than buying it off Steam?

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Lyte Edge said:
Sorry, I don't know what you mean by "Impulse version." EDIT: Ah, I see. This is better than buying it off Steam?

Steam version- need Steam running to play game. (usually not a problem)

Impulse version can run independently of Impulse.

Unless Steam offering a sale, get Impulse.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
XenoRaven said:
So you send the signal from your video capture device or whatever, then to your computer, and then you stream it. How hard is it to set that up? Does livestream/ustream walk you through the process at all?

I'm thinking of doing a super scrub version of "vs. the World" once my Hauppage comes.

Well, it can be a bit involved if you're looking to play in HD and stream that same footage over the internet unless you are planning on buying some fairly expensive equipment.

The basic break down is you run the component signal, from the PS3/XBOX to the Hauppauge, then you will need a video downconverter that takes the 720p signal and down-converts it to 480i. You then take this composite/s-video signal and send it to a USB Capture device. You will use the HD bypass on the downconverter to send the HD signal to the TV.

So basically you are sending the footage to your TV and the Hauppauge (so you can record vids) in HD and the to your computer in SD. From here you will want to use a combination of Adobe Flash Media Encoder and maybe a WebCam effects program to send the SD footage to ustream. Adobe FME allows you to set the bitrate at different levels. For Keystone and other events I usually have it around 575-600kbps upload, but for any vs. the world streams it's more like half that so it doesnt interfere with the gameplay. In turn, events like Keystone are a bit more clear and have a higher frame rate than the haunts vs the world streams.

Also, you'll need a cheap mixer and maybe a mic to get the game audio and commentary to the stream as well.

I wrote up a whole guide on how to do this if you want to learn:

http://forums.iplaywinner.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=72

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
arstal said:

Steam version uses Steam DRM.

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
couple questions:

1.) anyone know hit/blockstun info for sakura's j. neutral fierce? i cant find block/hit stun data for sakura's aerials anywhere. eventhubs doesnt have any hitstun info for her at all, and the srk wiki doesnt have it for her jumping attacks.

2.) on that srk wiki, some attacks have "Pursuit property" in the note section...the hell does that mean?

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
Rocwell said:
I think pursuit property is just a funny way of saying you can use it to juggle in combos.
hm, maybe...although sak's ultra doesnt say that (for comparison, ryu's does). could be an oversight. Sakura's EX hado has "persuit property" and basically i was just wondering if it was actually useful for more than wakeup chip kills after her shitty ultra dmg :lol

Leunam

bistromathics said:
2.) on that srk wiki, some attacks have "Pursuit property" in the note section...the hell does that mean?

Pursuit property means it tracks your opponent. Take Akumas Demon Flip. You get a different distance depending on which strength of kick button used, and it's always fixed. On an EX Demon Flip, he will "pursue" your opponent whether he is close up or far away and always land near him.

Rocwell

Leunam said:
Pursuit property means it tracks your opponent. Take Akumas Demon Flip. You get a different distance depending on which strength of kick button used, and it's always fixed. On an EX Demon Flip, he will "pursue" your opponent whether he is close up or far away and always land near him.
That's what common sense would say but from the moves on the wiki Sakura's ex otoshi which functions the same as demon flip says "flies toward opponent" while stuff like mp/hp shouken, ex hadouken, and her non-ex otoshi all get the "pursuit property" designation.

Wiseblade

Rocky_Balboa said:
Good games Wiseblade.

There was some tough round once in awhile. I especially had fun with my scrubby gimmicky Blanka :D.

Yeah, GG. Your Rog is near impossible to read; By end end I gave up trying to outguess you and went all out offensive. I never realised how hard it is to do RSF online either.

gutabo

Rocwell said:
That's what common sense would say but from the moves on the wiki Sakura's ex otoshi which functions the same as demon flip says "flies toward opponent" while stuff like mp/hp shouken, ex hadouken, and her non-ex otoshi all get the "pursuit property" designation.
I think that means that they have juggle potential, or something like that.

Talking about that srk wiki, anyone knows why there are parts that are not translated yet? Many moves have "(translate)" on them, anyone knows where's the original source so I can try to translate them?(I have a friend from japan).

Also, I'll be online late at night for some matches.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
welp :[ this was absolutely horrible...

ever since my 360s died more often than the sun went up, I've wanted to buy sf4 for ps3 instead.

Today I did that, and boy what a huge dissapointment :S, I was under the impression that I should at least be able to play against people online .-.

But searching for games brings me only 1 or 2 games, whereas on the 360 I always got a full list of choices...

anyways, ranting aside if anyone wanna play hook me up

psn : corcy100
still trying to adjust to the dualshock from the 360 pad, so very rusty

Corky said:
welp :[ this was absolutely horrible...

ever since my 360s died more often than the sun went up, I've wanted to buy sf4 for ps3 instead.

Today I did that, and boy what a huge dissapointment :S, I was under the impression that I should at least be able to play against people online .-.

But searching for games brings me only 1 or 2 games, whereas on the 360 I always got a full list of choices...

anyways, ranting aside if anyone wanna play hook me up

psn : corcy100
still trying to adjust to the dualshock from the 360 pad, so very rusty

online isn't as stable either :/
PC ftw?

Grifter

this is kinda sad (for me). last week at an sf gathering, we played for a while, i'm feeling it, and we then switched to rock band, and my drumming had never been better.

today, i play a set of sf4 online and adjust to the input lag after a few frustrating games, switch to rb when the lag got unbearable, and my drum timing was all over the place. my equilibrium is now all whacked!

Wiseblade said:
Yeah, GG. Your Rog is near impossible to read; By end end I gave up trying to outguess you and went all out offensive. I never realised how hard it is to do RSF online either.
Oh, you're the guy I fought a few days ago (yeah, I didn't connect Wiseblade with Wiseblade... >_>).

You've got a really solid Fuerte.

A weird auto-correct happened to me a few moments ago. I was fight a Sagat, and did my desperation move of feint Devil's Reverse into Ultra. Oddly enough, the Sagat jumped over me and he was behind me for quite some time. When I landed, I did my Ultra anyways and it corrected itself. It just seemed like it should have done anything at all. But whatever, I lost anyways. :D
P.S. I really hate Seth. :(

XenoRaven

haunts said:
Well, it can be a bit involved if you're looking to play in HD and stream that same footage over the internet unless you are planning on buying some fairly expensive equipment.

The basic break down is you run the component signal, from the PS3/XBOX to the Hauppauge, then you will need a video downconverter that takes the 720p signal and down-converts it to 480i. You then take this composite/s-video signal and send it to a USB Capture device. You will use the HD bypass on the downconverter to send the HD signal to the TV.

So basically you are sending the footage to your TV and the Hauppauge (so you can record vids) in HD and the to your computer in SD. From here you will want to use a combination of Adobe Flash Media Encoder and maybe a WebCam effects program to send the SD footage to ustream. Adobe FME allows you to set the bitrate at different levels. For Keystone and other events I usually have it around 575-600kbps upload, but for any vs. the world streams it's more like half that so it doesnt interfere with the gameplay. In turn, events like Keystone are a bit more clear and have a higher frame rate than the haunts vs the world streams.

Also, you'll need a cheap mixer and maybe a mic to get the game audio and commentary to the stream as well.

I wrote up a whole guide on how to do this if you want to learn:

http://forums.iplaywinner.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=72
Ah ok. Thanks. I wasn't sure if I'd be able to do it with just the Hauppage or not. Guess not. I already spent enough on that, I don't want to have to spend another $200. Maybe somewhere down the road.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
XenoRaven said:
Ah ok. Thanks. I wasn't sure if I'd be able to do it with just the Hauppage or not. Guess not. I already spent enough on that, I don't want to have to spend another $200. Maybe somewhere down the road.

A method you can use for the hauppauge is get a webcam program that can capture desktop windows. you can open a "preview" window of the gameplay footage from the hauppauge and stream that. It's not as reliable but it works. :p

Rocwell

Woo had a couple of breakthroughs tonight, hit G1 and scored my first replay although I can't figure out how to see it yet... I'm liking it so far, I feel the comp is a bit better and more plentiful than in G2, on psn at least. I had a lot of fun matches.

I also managed to finish off some of the hard trials that had been giving me fits, particularly fuerte's loop. I now feel like I have a tenuous grasp on it and can do 2xfierce, slide pretty consistently and maybe 30% 3 hit fierce. It's definitely a cool feeling when you can actually notice some improvement in your play.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Rocwell said:
Woo had a couple of breakthroughs tonight, hit G1 and scored my first replay although I can't figure out how to see it yet... I'm liking it so far, I feel the comp is a bit better and more plentiful than in G2, on psn at least. I had a lot of fun matches.

I also managed to finish off some of the hard trials that had been giving me fits, particularly fuerte's loop. I now feel like I have a tenuous grasp on it and can do 2xfierce, slide pretty consistently and maybe 30% 3 hit fierce. It's definitely a cool feeling when you can actually notice some improvement in your play.

To me G1 comp knows how to lag abuse better, but that's the biggest difference.
Of course it is 80% Ryu, and he is the most lag abuse friendly char in the game.

Hell, even I can win 50% with Ryu on G1 by lag abuse.

Wiseblade

25owghi.jpg

7 Hit RSF baby! It's nice to see some progress from all of this practice.

arstal said:
Of course it is 80% Ryu, and he is the most lag abuse friendly char in the game.

heh, i hopped into some G1 after a 6 month break by chance yesterday and got greeted by the aforementioned ryu type of player. sucks when his mistakes become unpunishable by some kind of magic i'll never be able to get. proceeded to fight my local buddies for the ultimate experience, you don't need magic for that.

Grifter

arstal said:

What are your lag abuse tiers?

I got something like Honda, Rose, Chun, Ryu, Balrog...

Top Bottom