• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

XenoRaven

haunts said:
A method you can use for the hauppauge is get a webcam program that can capture desktop windows. you can open a "preview" window of the gameplay footage from the hauppauge and stream that. It's not as reliable but it works. :p
That sounds totally ghetto. I will try it!

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Corky said:
welp :[ this was absolutely horrible...

ever since my 360s died more often than the sun went up, I've wanted to buy sf4 for ps3 instead.

Today I did that, and boy what a huge dissapointment :S, I was under the impression that I should at least be able to play against people online .-.

But searching for games brings me only 1 or 2 games, whereas on the 360 I always got a full list of choices...

anyways, ranting aside if anyone wanna play hook me up

psn : corcy100
still trying to adjust to the dualshock from the 360 pad, so very rusty

ughhh, quoting my self, really frigging dissapointed in yurop, seems all the ps3s are sold elsewhere cus in the last 30 ish hours I havent found 1 game. So I put the shit up on auction, my 360 cant come soon enough >____<

XenoRaven

So, I've begun really practicing my pianoing and link-timing instead of just mashing like a crazy person. I feel like I'm back at square one with this game. I've spent so much time doing things the wrong way, that it's really hard to keep doing it the right way. For example, in training mode, I go through stretches where I can't even time 2 crouching shorts correctly. =(

This has also lead me to discover the wonders of plinking (I think that's what the kids are calling it). Crouching jab x2, standing fierce is so fun to do for some reason.

KajunW

Even more matches from the Umehara exhibition @ NSB13:

Daigo vs Pamyou (BA), Hisyou (SG)
Daigo vs Momochi (GO), Bonchan (SG)

Bonchan is probably the #2 Sagat player, behind Mago. Even though he was #4 in terms of BP, before he deleted his card.

End result of exhibition: Daigo 8-1, with his only loss coming against Momochi.
He also lost badly against KOK, as someone pointed out, but I'm not sure if that was part of the exhibition or an actual tournament match.

Corky said:
ughhh, quoting my self, really frigging dissapointed in yurop, seems all the ps3s are sold elsewhere cus in the last 30 ish hours I havent found 1 game. So I put the shit up on auction, my 360 cant come soon enough >____<

what are you talking about? there is no problem finding games on PSN in europe.

dragonballjoseph said:
I'm not familiar with SF4 arcade machines, so I want to know how you choose Akuma even though he's not appear on the roster?
press down on any character in the bottom row or press up on any character in the top row

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Finally starting to play sf4 again after taking a break for a few weeks. Having trouble readjusting to a few things though. Before now, I've had my Xbox hooked up to my computer monitor, with my stick sitting in front of me on my desk. I got a new HDTV though so now, I have it hooked to my tv, so I have to sit my stick between my legs.

So if any of y'all play me and I do a bunch of random neutral sj hks, that's just me trying to do tk burning kick :lol

XenoRaven said:
So, I've begun really practicing my pianoing and link-timing instead of just mashing like a crazy person. I feel like I'm back at square one with this game. I've spent so much time doing things the wrong way, that it's really hard to keep doing it the right way. For example, in training mode, I go through stretches where I can't even time 2 crouching shorts correctly. =(

This has also lead me to discover the wonders of plinking (I think that's what the kids are calling it). Crouching jab x2, standing fierce is so fun to do for some reason.

I do lk~hk~mk~lk (hit confirm) lk+mk. That's the easiest way for me for doing hit confirm to ex legs. I like this input also because it acts as an sweep option select against back-dashers.

for the St. FP combo, yeah...I plink dat ass :D

Leunam

KajunW said:
Perhaps. I don't think Battle Points are conclusive in this matter though, because Ojisan Boy plays way more than Bonchan.

Yeah, officially, I think Ojisan is still #2, but he certainly has a very very solid Sagat. Bonchan is certainly making a name for himself, though.

_dementia said:
Ojisanboy has one of my favorite Abels too.

Hell yeah.

XenoRaven

BotoxAgent said:
I do lk~hk~mk~lk (hit confirm) lk+mk. That's the easiest way for me for doing hit confirm to ex legs. I like this input also because it acts as an sweep option select against back-dashers.

for the St. FP combo, yeah...I plink dat ass :D
I've tried this method too. I'm unsure which one I want to go with. If that one acts as an option select, I will start practicing this one more.

What do you do for HK, HK Legs?

weepy

Quick off-topic question: Since the xbox 360's controller port is essentially the same as a pc port, could I potentially get a pc to ps2 converter so that I could use a ps2 controller for fighting games on my 360?

weepy said:
Quick off-topic question: Since the xbox 360's controller port is essentially the same as a pc port, could I potentially get a pc to ps2 converter so that I could use a ps2 controller for fighting games on my 360?
No because Xbox 360 has some sort of proprietary "XID" system for controllers. It should work on PS3 though, as most HID-compliant controllers do.

Joytron makes a product called X-converter 360 that will do the PS2->360 conversion job, but you will still need to plug in a wired Xbox 360 controller to trick the system.

XenoRaven said:
I've tried this method too. I'm unsure which one I want to go with. If that one acts as an option select, I will start practicing this one more.

What do you do for HK, HK Legs?

cl st. hk to HK legs -- I use the slide method from HK back to HK.

same with cr.hp to hk legs -- slide cr.hp->hk->mk->lk->mk->hk

to add some fanciness and extra damage I try to follow hk legs with her bnb, but with that, I double tap the first lk (just cuz it's a 1-frame link) then do the piano motion after

EDIT - you can see Nemo do that option select in that SBO match against Kyabetsu, it saved the match for him....so it has it uses :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlG62M2RGBs#t=3m31s

XenoRaven

BotoxAgent said:
cl st. hk to HK legs -- I use the slide method from HK back to HK.

same with cr.hp to hk legs -- slide cr.hp->hk->mk->lk->mk->hk

to add some fanciness and extra damage I try to follow hk legs with her bnb, but with that, I double tap the first lk (just cuz it's a 1-frame link) then do the piano motion after
I wasn't sure if you could do cr. lk, EX Legs after HK Legs, it seems like you would be able to but I've never pulled it off. I'll keep that in mind.

I kinda suck at the slide, my finger always gets caught on the side of the buttons, and I'm not so into this game that I'm going to wear a glove to play. I was practicing some crazy way of doing those two combos that I saw on YouTube. For HK, HK Legs it's just hk, mk, lk x2, hk. On lk x2 you hit with your index finger first, and then the thumb of your stick hand second. For cr. hp, hk legs it's cr. hp + mk, lkx2, mk, hk, you hit cr. hp and mk at the same time, and then lk with your stick hand thumb, then again with your index finger, mk, hk.

Just so everyone knows, I really like talking about piano inputs. >_>

EDIT: I actually have a YouTube video saved that breaks down some of Nemo's option selects. Once I get my piano inputs and link timing down better, I'm going to start practicing those. There's a sweet one for j. hpx2, cr. hk that makes j. hp x2 come out on blocking and crouching opponents, and cr. hk for backdashers/teleporters.

XenoRaven said:
I wasn't sure if you could do cr. lk, EX Legs after HK Legs, it seems like you would be able to but I've never pulled it off. I'll keep that in mind.

I kinda suck at the slide, my finger always gets caught on the side of the buttons, and I'm not so into this game that I'm going to wear a glove to play. I was practicing some crazy way of doing those two combos that I saw on YouTube. For HK, HK Legs it's just hk, mk, lk x2, hk. On lk x2 you hit with your index finger first, and then the thumb of your stick hand second. For cr. hp, hk legs it's cr. hp + mk, lkx2, mk, hk, you hit cr. hp and mk at the same time, and then lk with your stick hand thumb, then again with your index finger, mk, hk.

Just so everyone knows, I really like talking about piano inputs. >_>

those are some crazy inputs for cf.hp....but I do MagMan's and OHT's method, it'easier...esp. if you try to follow it up with her BnB, all those inputs would be too much for me, lol

yeah, sliding is kinda uncomortable. I just got my new SSFIV stick and somehow I find sliding more comortable with this, dunno why, lol. Playing AZ Greg last night, I managed to do hk legs, lk, lk, ex legs combo on him once :D

oh yeah, you can follow hk legs with a standing jab to standing fierce too if you are close enough and don't have meter. Or if you have full meter: hk legs, st. jab, st. fierce---> super! (boo damage scaling)

edit: Those Nemo option selects were helpful. I use it a lot against runaways. But sometimes I still fuck it up and do things like accidentally taunt, and I look like a scrubby douche, lol

XenoRaven

BotoxAgent said:
those are some crazy inputs for cf.hp....but I do MagMan's and OHT's method, it'easier...esp. if you try to follow it up with her BnB, all those inputs would be too much for me, lol

yeah, sliding is kinda uncomortable. I just got my new SSFIV stick and somehow I find sliding more comortable with this, dunno why, lol. Playing AZ Greg last night, I managed to do hk legs, lk, lk, ex legs combo on him once :D

oh yeah, you can follow hk legs with a standing jab to standing fierce too if you are close enough and don't have meter. Or if you have full meter: hk legs, st. jab, st. fierce---> super! (boo damage scaling)

edit: Those Nemo option selects were helpful. I use it a lot against runaways. But sometimes I still fuck it up and do things like accidentally taunt, and I look like a scrubby douche, lol
Yeah, I usually just Super cancel out of HK Legs, or I'll hit it after HK Legs recovers. Didn't know you could link all that after it though. Nasty.

I remember looking at those option selects and thinking "If I used these right now, I would totally taunt in someone's face by accident."

Anyway, I'll work on the slide. Maybe it's like playing bass. You do it enough and your fingers build up dry callouses that let you move along the frets faster and without getting blisters.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Never played someone with such an appropriate gamertag.

qqv9rt.jpg

Corky

Augemitbutter said:
what are you talking about? there is no problem finding games on PSN in europe.

hmm, I cant tell if youre being sarcastic, but in case youre not I'll film a little 10 sec clip today where Ill go into player match / ranked match / championship and not find more 0 to 1 games, all with 0 to 1 bars.

XenoRaven said:
Yeah, I usually just Super cancel out of HK Legs, or I'll hit it after HK Legs recovers. Didn't know you could link all that after it though. Nasty.

I remember looking at those option selects and thinking "If I used these right now, I would totally taunt in someone's face by accident."

Anyway, I'll work on the slide. Maybe it's like playing bass. You do it enough and your fingers build up dry callouses that let you move along the frets faster and without getting blisters.

I totally forgot I can do that :lol I fail

if u are using sanwa buttons, you shouldn't have to press so hard to slide and shouldnt hurt that much at all, but sometimes the heat of battle does gets the best of me....esp. when i raaaaage XD

XenoRaven

BotoxAgent said:
I totally forgot I can do that :lol I fail

if u are using sanwa buttons, you shouldn't have to press so hard to slide and shouldnt hurt that much at all, but sometimes the heat of battle does gets the best of me....esp. when i raaaaage XD
Yeah, I'm not really hurting myself. Actually now that I'm practicing these combos the real way, I'm a lot softer on the buttons, which is good. Before, I'm pretty sure the people downstairs could hear me. :lol

Lost Fragment said:
Never played someone with such an appropriate gamertag.
Vega players and their bitch-ass shenanigans have no right to rage quit on a Viper!

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
XenoRaven said:
LK, KKK, LK+MK, LK+MK is what Nemo uses for the option select.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
BotoxAgent said:
does KKK mean at the same time?
Shorthand for LK+MK+HK, yeah. Just like lariat, teleport, or ultra inputs.

I tend to do something similar for st HK xx ex Hyaku. Something like HK, KKK, LK+MK, LK+MK, but much much faster.

oh ok, because I have been using MagMan's method was the piano way (lk, hk~mk~lk lk+mkx2 [i screwed up the way i wrote it the first time in my previous post])

well I'll try the way you described. It looks easier and that's always better. Thanks!

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Yeah, there's absolutely no reason to plink those buttons. How KKK is interpreted is the reason the option select works in the first place.

Man yall got some overly complicated inputs to do legs (*_*)

BTW If you mash mk throughout hk legs, it's +6 on hit(as opposed to +3), so landing stuff afterwards is a shit load easier. My punish combo of choice is hk, hk legs, st. lp, st. hp. When I'm chun I usually sit on meter cuz I really like her super.

XenoRaven

I LIKE that method! No complicated piano inputs and when people say I'm a scrubby masher I can just look at them like they're stupid and just say "Uhh...it's an option select, dude."

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
prodystopian said:
What is the option select here?

*hasn't played in waaay too long*
If the first crouching short hits, it'll become c lk, c lk, ex Hyaku, but if it doesn't, then the second kick will be a sweep.

Corky said:
hmm, I cant tell if youre being sarcastic, but in case youre not I'll film a little 10 sec clip today where Ill go into player match / ranked match / championship and not find more 0 to 1 games, all with 0 to 1 bars.

sounds like you're doing quick game option, you shouldn't do that. i'm serious, SF IV is still pretty active. i can add you for player matches too. which country are you in?

Corky

Augemitbutter said:
sounds like you're doing quick game option, you shouldn't do that. i'm serious, SF IV is still pretty active. i can add you for player matches too. which country are you in?

Nope, I'm using the good ol custom search with everything on ANY. I live in sweden and I really do hope that I'm wrong but as of yet I havent had a single good game, I a total of 10 or so , all bad, games this far. But I'mma give it a good try tomorrow when I'm home from school

Ledsen

Hitokage said:
If the first crouching short hits, it'll become c lk, c lk, ex Hyaku, but if it doesn't, then the second kick will be a sweep.

He also has the j.hp, hp+hk option select for sweeping backdashers on jump-in. I don't remember any more Chun option selects though.

Alright, so I decided to buy this game today, and I'm getting my ass kicked in Arcade Mode on Medium difficulty. Could someone give me some tips on how to do well in this game ?

FindMyFarms said:
Use the babe in your avatar and you got nothing to worry about goin against dhalsim :D

Hoppin on psn!!
Eh, Chun-Li's actually a larger threat than Cammy in my opinion. I'm not claiming that she lacks the tools to get around Dhalsim's strategies though, just to be clear.

Corky said:
Nope, I'm using the good ol custom search with everything on ANY. I live in sweden and I really do hope that I'm wrong but as of yet I havent had a single good game, I a total of 10 or so , all bad, games this far. But I'mma give it a good try tomorrow when I'm home from school
If you're in the G3 division, there's a good chance the number of available players will stay that way. Maybe it'll be better once you reach G2.

Does anyone know how different, skill wise, the online is between the PC and the xbox 360? I ask because when super comes out I will probably go with the 360 version this time, depends how SF hungry I am. But on the PC the players seem rather good and I have a hard time winning :lol

Top Bottom