• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

blackadde

lawblob said:
Im' not sure what a few of those are. I need a translation key. :lol

play SC = soul calibur = tits
play ST = super turbo = fireball trap
play DoA = dead or alive = DoA is shit so it doesn't matter if you're any good
play VF = virtua fighter = haha, nobody actually plays VF
play GG = guilty gear = GG has a half dozen meters so most people have no idea what's happening
play CvS2 = capcom vs snk 2 = shoshoshoshoshoshoshosho ...
play KoF = king of fighters = only fobs play KOF
play Tekken = the game focuses on launch -> juggle strings
play HnK = hokuto no ken = play hokuto no ken and die instantly because you have no idea what's happening either
play MvC2 = marvel vs capcom 2 =marvel players will stab you in the gut if you look at them wrong
play Smash = self-explanatory
play 3S = third strike = get lucky, parry, win
play SFIV = wish it was 1992 all over again
play AH = arcana heart is for pedos
play MB = melty blood is for mashers

arstal said:
SF3 was quite possibly the most divisive game in the history of fighters. For every person who thought it was the shit, there was someone else who thought it was shit. This is one partial reason SFIV is doing so well- the older players are lapping it up because it isn't SF3.

The one thing I"m wondering about now is whether Capcom will muck up the PC release, whether players will accept it, and whether someone who hack GGPO into it. (I think that's gonna happen)

SF3...I think SF was divisive when they kept releasing SF2 upgrades while SNK and Midway were releasing new iterations of their titles. During the SF run, SNK released Fatal Fury, Fatal Fury 2 and Fatal Fury Special. We had two Samurai Showdowns (both were really good). Two Art of Fighting. A couple of World Heroes. MK came with one and two (Two basically became the "it" fighter upon its release).

Instead of capitalizing on their game's popularity (and possibly stopping with Hyper), Capcom just kept milking the series and the number of players returning to play the series kept reducing upon each new upgrade.

If we were doing sales age, we'd see the Alpha series didn't really move many units (except three).

Three exacerbated it because they created an entirely "new" game by having Ryu and Ken be the only returning characters from II. The parries, overheads, super jumps, small jumps, juggles, super cancels, super arts probably didn't help anything either. It also didn't help that the cast of SFIII weren't instantly likeable (Necro, Oro, etc). Most looked at the cast as a group of freaks. It was like a huge leap (hell, I still don't know what happened in II's story when III came out).

I love SF but Capcom didn't hedge the right bets.

Ono has to be congratulated for trying to resurrect the series. His desire was to make a game that appealed to both the hardcore and the mainstream (and look at all of the traffic in this thread...whereas the HD remix thread consists of myself, Arstal, Tekno, Seiken, N3ss, Haunts, Mox, Ferrio, CO Andy, Eggo, etc).

word to the wise: never select DHL as shipping courier. they suck ass,
they may fast for flying it there. but not reliable by truck, their updates are half-asses and their drivers are morans, they don't even leave a notice at your door when they passed by.
garbage

I will probably get my US copy way before I ever get my Import copy if this keeps up

so, stay away from DHL.
I though EMS was bad, but this is worse

Stalfos said:
So whats the word on the guide. How is it? Is it even needed now that there is the challenge mode within the game?
Probably, since the challenge mode only teaches you attacks and combinations, and not strategy.

LowParry

viewtiful_dru said:
Probably, since the challenge mode only teaches you attacks and combinations, and not strategy.

Strategy is more of your personal style. I don't know why anyone would go off a guide of someone's opinion on a style. Guides for fighters are worthless really. I see no point in buying them imo.

Stalfos said:
So whats the word on the guide. How is it? Is it even needed now that there is the challenge mode within the game?

Good if you're a beginner or novice, but with the challenge mode, you'll learn combos and as mentioned, SRK has plenty of character specific discussion.

Also take a look at the mycheats guide by Haunts, Gootecks Street Fighter 4 Secrets Volume 1 featuring Ed Ma!, Iplaywinner.com...

And if you just play ranked matches...you'll learn via hard knocks

LaneDS

Ugh, so I made the mistake of trying to get this today after hearing it wasn't street dated. Best Buy lists it as in stock all over my area, but then claimed it's on the way instead, and Gamestop says they "might sell it tomorrow". Patience is not one of my virtues.

Anyone going to Walmart or Game Crazy at midnight?

My Game Crazy said they're doing a midnight release. I have to teach tomorrow...but must have the game...poor instruction for SFIV:D

LaneDS

YuriLowell said:
Anyone find a copy in Virginia?

My post a couple up was actually in relation to the Fairfax area. If you're in that area and get lucky, post about it here for our sake please.

ShinAmano

I am hearing tomorrow at most stores in VA...still trying to get a hold of Walmart for midnight tonight...

Also is SRK down for anyone else?

B-Ri said:
I have officially modded my 360 SE stick.

It is now a PS3-360-PC
Is this something that can be done for the TE as well...and guide?

Blueblur1

gutter_trash said:
word to the wise: never select DHL as shipping courier. they suck ass,
they may fast for flying it there. but not reliable by truck, their updates are half-asses and their drivers are morans, they don't even leave a notice at your door when they passed by.
garbage

I will probably get my US copy way before I ever get my Import copy if this keeps up

so, stay away from DHL.
I though EMS was bad, but this is worse
DHL is terrible. About a year ago I was expecting a new cell phone to replace my damaged insured phone and the driver just threw the box at my front door. I heard "conk" noise and when I open the door the box is sideways on the ground and the guy was driving away in the DHL van.

MGrant

dfyb said:
anyone know what's going on around denton/dallas tx?

probably lots of people drunk on fry street. Oh, you mean with this game. I don't know. Try the gamestop over on loop 288, the best buy, the wal-mart.

Mutombo

any word out on character changes*? Any nerfs, improvements, changes in the tier list?

*edit: changes from the arcade version

MGrant

Mutombo said:
any word out on character changes*? Any nerfs, improvements, changes in the tier list?

*edit: changes from the arcade version

all arcade characters play the same. as for the console characters, we won't know for sure until someone gets some tournament play in.

Nakazato

Blueblur1 said:
DHL is terrible. About a year ago I was expecting a new cell phone to replace my damaged insured phone and the driver just threw the box at my front door. I heard "conk" noise and when I open the door the box is sideways on the ground and the guy was driving away in the DHL van.
Yea I had my 7 speaker system come by DHL and I was in Orlando and my mom was at home and she has bad back problems and she had to scream for the person to it in the house.

ShinAmano said:
I am hearing tomorrow at most stores in VA...still trying to get a hold of Walmart for midnight tonight...

Also is SRK down for anyone else?

Is this something that can be done for the TE as well...and guide?

LMK if you hear about midnight walmart, considering my walmart is the cornerstone of all hell, I dread going there.

Nakazato

TurtleSnatcher said:
Only some stores are doing same day shipping.
Damn it -.- I wont get to play it with my gf before she goes of for 2 weeks ; ;

Edit:
CcrooK said:
It all depends if the manager decides to drive out to pick it up himself/herself or not.
I hope this is the case

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
CcrooK said:
Strategy is more of your personal style. I don't know why anyone would go off a guide of someone's opinion on a style. Guides for fighters are worthless really. I see no point in buying them imo.

Back in 1994, I learned basics from the SSF/ST guide Gamepro put out. It's good for someone totally clueless to begin learning.

SFA2 guide taught me some combo possibilities- in the arcades, Dan was quite strong because most of the players had his throw into super and Valle CC on point, and used that as a mixup- stand, get thrown then supered, crouch, get hit by unblockable Valle combo.

FinKL

careksims said:
Whoo hoo. Just got my call from Gamestop that they definitely will have their copies on Tuesday, tomorrow :D

Where do you live, Cali i'm assuming because the consensus here in Vegas, is that retailers are getting to pick it up Tuesday afternoon and sell it evening...

Mileena

Banned
Spiderjericho said:
Anyone going to Walmart or Game Crazy at midnight?

My Game Crazy said they're doing a midnight release. I have to teach tomorrow...but must have the game...poor instruction for SFIV:D
I'm trying Walmart. Is Game Crazy the store in Hollywood Video? I saw a huge sign at HV that said Street Fighter IV PLAY IT NOW but of course, they were closed and I live an hour away.

/wrist

winnarps

YuriLowell said:
LMK if you hear about midnight walmart, considering my walmart is the cornerstone of all hell, I dread going there.

A few GameStops and a GameCrazy I checked said tomorrow (in and around Fairfax).

I'm keeping my eyes on this thread if there's any news of the Fairlakes Walmart selling at midnight (or today for that matter). I assume they're open 24 hours?

corkscrewblow said:
I'm trying Walmart. Is Game Crazy the store in Hollywood Video? I saw a huge sign at HV that said Street Fighter IV PLAY IT NOW but of course, they were closed and I live an hour away.

/wrist

Yeah, Hollywood Video owns Game Crazy...they're supposed to have it on the 17th. Mine says they will have it for release at midnight...so I might take an early nap...wake up drive down there...and wait...and if they don't have it...I'll check out Walmart, which is in the same shopping center.

Listening to the IV soundtrack while playing on Live.

keanerie

What...there are no parries in this game?

Pre-order canceled, seriously, come on Capcom, what the fuck, way to take a huge step backwards!

Nakazato

corkscrewblow said:

/wrist
Yea Gamecrazy is in Hollywood video. If theres a Blockbuster with a gamerush try there 2

Brought out my old PS2 MAS Stick. Fortunately, my old USB emulator recognizes. I cannot wait to play SF4 with this thing.

MAS-1.jpg

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
careksims said:
Whoo hoo. Just got my call from Gamestop that they definitely will have their copies on Tuesday, tomorrow :D
I just called my gamestop, they said they would have it available tomorrow for preorders only and I do have it preordered so hell yes.

B-Ri

It is NOT easy. We had to solder and strip like 20 wires. If you have time, soldering ability, and 4 hands, its very very doable.

So far we have the half finished solution, where both the cthulhu board and the 360 board are powered, so two usb cables are required to function. The button wires go through the cthulhu to the 360 board, where the 360 board serial wires are soldered into the cthulhu. The stick goes from the 360 board, and you need to double solder the points and lead the wires to the cthulhu.

We can solder the 5v and ground into each board, then a singleUSB cable will power them each. OR we can add a switch and switch between PS3/PC and 360 on a single usb cable.

As for if it works on TE, id imagine it does if the insides dont differ from each other too much (type of buttons do not matter)

vertopci

Judderman said:
For every good review (ie. Eurogamer), there must be a bad one to balance it out. I give you:

The A.V. Club Street Fighter IV Review

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

I don't think they understand that fighters are meant to be played against humans :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Stupid fucking assfucks like that need to be killed. Is it really that fucking hard to figure that fighters are meant to be played against other humans?

Top Bottom