• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
GrayFoxPL said:
In his last post in gaming he called someone an idiot in Killzone 2 thread. I don't know if it was something in offtopic part.

It's dangerous out there, especially in Killzone land. Those kids a fucking rabid.

FinKL

When we talk about retailers obtaining the game, can we talk about location?
For example my GC manager will pick the shipment up tuesday afternoon from mccarran airport (las vegas) and will sell tues evening which he anticipates being the first retailer to sell it

No_Style said:
I'm going to use shotos just to spite you shoto haters.

I was going to do so regardless because I'm a scrub.

Pretty much. I tried learning Guile yesterday but I really suck using him. I was surprisingly good as Zangief though. He's almost too powerful in HD.

Barrett2

McBradders said:
It's dangerous out there, especially in Killzone land. Those kids a fucking rabid.

Yeah, the insecurities in that thread are a little frightening. :lol

Its nice to see a thread like this one where there is a generally positive attitude, and noobs like myself can ask even the most simple questions about the game, and get friendly and helpful responses.

fubarduck

Arde5643 said:
* How many of you are devoted to the 2D fighting scene (basically got into SF3, SF Alphas, Guilty Gear, and the rest of popular 2D fighters - yes, even Melee) and how serious are you in the competitive playing field?

If this describes you, what are you expecting of SF4?
While it has depth as seen from high level plays of JP and US arcade players, it doesn't seem to have the many links/combo options as most current 2D fighting games are (Guilty Gear comes to mind, as well as other Doujin-style fighting game)
The FA system also doesn't seem to be a requirement for a basic game unlike SF3's parry system - you mostly use FAs sparingly and don't depend on it.

I got into the competitive 2D fighting scene in 2000 (when I started college and moved to a city with an arcade) and I've been traveling to tournaments since 2001. This was a pretty exciting time for fighters because CVS1/CVS2, MVC2, and 3rd Strike were all "new games". Before competitive play, I played a ton of SF2 in elementary school (both at arcades and on SNES with my friends from school every Friday night).

I wasn't expecting much from SF4 apart from a new game engine, which was exciting because I figured that the revisions for it would eventually make it a good game. However, I've been playing the arcade version since August and my expectations were heavily exceeded. SF4 in its current form is a very solid competitive game, and certainly has a long life ahead of it (despite the fact that we are guaranteed a new arcade revision by the end of the year). It's very exciting to have a new, GOOD Street Fighter game again!

Street Fighter has always been less combo-oriented than other games, but that's one of its strong points. The focus has always been more on strategic control of the stage rather than just getting in your opponent's face for a high/low mixup into huge combo. The Japanese word for this is "tachimawari" which basically refers to the back and forth movement in fighting games; American players generally use the words "zoning" and "footsies" to describe this concept.

I also have to disagree with you that Focus Attack is not a required element of the game; it is absolutely necessary and if you are playing against an equally skilled opponent, the player using FAs more will always have the upper hand. Strategically, you're not actually going to use that many fully charged FAs. The more practical application is to scare opponents with it (and then dash cancel) or to get away from jump-in attacks (which are usually just one hit, so you can FA and then backdash after you get hit). If you don't use them, your opponent can abuse moves that normally get destroyed by FA (such as Ryu/Ken/Akuma's sweeps or Blanka's slide).

So, as someone who's been around the scene for a while I think that SF4 is a very well-designed fighting game and I hope it encourages more casual players to take the leap into competitive play.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
lawblob said:
Yeah, the insecurities in that thread are a little frightening. :lol

Its nice to see a thread like this one where there is a generally positive attitude, and noobs like myself can ask even the most simple questions about the game, and get friendly and helpful responses.

If we lost the scrub talk it would be perrrrfect. Regardless, still one of the best sub-communities I've seen on GAF since I arrived.

bumpkin

DoctorWho said:
I asked an EB here in Toronto and he said they might actually get a shipment in on Tuesday but he is telling most people Wednesday to be safe. They are not going to really know until the morning of though.
What he said. It's possible stores will get it Tuesday morning, but it's tough to tell... Stupid postal holiday.

UPS delivers on President's Day if they already had the shipments dropped off to them or unless they are being pricks and taking the day off :lol

Dragnet said:
I've never played a Street Fighter in my life.

I just ordered SFIV.

What's gonna happen to me? :(
Training mode is awesome and I'm sure if you get online with a GAFfer he or she would be happy to teach you the basics.

StuBurns

Banned
Dragnet said:

I just ordered SFIV.

Street Fighter is kind of like this perfect game series. They don't crap them out all the time so you're always ready for it when a new one comes along. The gameplay changed radically but holds the basic elements every time so when SF5 comes along you'll be able to play it fairly well straight away. It has amazing depth but also works really well as a button mashy game friends can have a go with.

Just the absolute pinnacle of 2D fighters.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Dragnet said:

I just ordered SFIV.

Dont worry man, the game has a training mode.
Besides we can train together.

McBradders said:
If we lost the scrub talk it would be perrrrfect. Regardless, still one of the best sub-communities I've seen on GAF since I arrived.
Yeah,its like a group of friends happy to play a game. Its awesome for me, because there is not sales talk,no nitpicking everysingle pixel on screen, no sales age, no bashing other games of the same genre. (looks at KZ2 thread)
But of course it has the always healthy 'My Gief is gonna destroy your Guile,lolz' talk.
(Which i love)

Dragnet

I'm excited :D Street Fighter has always been for me of those games I'd love to get into, but just never have for whatever reasons. But now is my chance :D Yaaaaay!

rager

Banned
Hey Dragnet, I gave you a friend request, so look me up. I am a decent player and I can show you some moves and have a blast. Don't worry about being this awesome competitive player, I have learned from playing this game for 20 years that there will ALWAYS be those players who will kick your ass, but the more you play them, the better it makes you. :D

Barrett2

Dragnet said:

I just ordered SFIV.

Just remember that getting good will require real practice. If you just goof around and play random matches all day your improvement will be slower than if you force yourself to do a little heavy lifting early on, memorize techniques and combos, and then go practice them. Little things like writing down combos / techniques on a 3x5 card and forcing yourself to do them over and over in practice until you can without hesitation rattle off 10 special moves / combos in a row with ease. Then, once you have them committed to memory, it will be much easier to improve by playing the game, since you will be applying actual techniques and combos, so you will get better results. A few hours of memorization and hard muscle memory practice up front makes the subsequent experience much more satisfying.

ShinAmano

Not going to lie this whole past week has been like the night before Christmas as a kid for me...not able to sleep over the excitement I have to get this game...and hopefully it is only a day away now. :D

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Sagat's remixed theme is the best to my ears. The rest range from good to blargh. Gouken's mix is hot too.

burgerdog

I have the chance to get this today, but the store is faaaaaaaaar and I'm sick. I'll just go pick it up on tuesday/wednesday from one of the GS that are like 3minutes away :(

SanjuroTsubaki said:
FedEx and UPS are both delivering today. Game Crazy goes through FedEx to receive games.

Not in Ontario, Canada for Family Day. This is a thrown together holiday and none of them are operating today.

Sanjuro

burgerdog said:
I have the chance to get this today, but the store is faaaaaaaaar and I'm sick. I'll just go pick it up on tuesday/wednesday from one of the GS that are like 3minutes away :(
How far? If you pick it up today or found a place where you can just toss in the location to help everyone out. Most people on here are going to be wanting the game and most of the people who normally go to work will be in the same boat.

I still haven't checked my old store yet in MA, but when I spoke to the new manager last he told me they should be receiving the game today.

DoctorWho said:
Not in Ontario, Canada for Family Day. This is a thrown together holiday and none of them are operating today.
If it's any consolation Canada is much cooler every other day during the year than today.

akachan ningen said:
Apparently, you unlock this outfit just by unlocking all of her costume colors. That's what I overheard.

uts7q.jpg

I wonder if this is tha case with anyone else

PSGames

burgerdog said:

what store?

No_Style said:
Canada GAF: SFIV MadCatz hardware can be found through TigerDirect.ca. Check the Canada thread for info.

Oh shiiiitttt son!

I'll check it out.

The price for the sticks is fair but why are they overcharging for the Pads too!? (Wait, that price is only for the 360 version? PS3 version is regular price?) I'm so confused.

Guled

DoctorWho said:
Oh shiiiitttt son!

I'll check it out.

The price for the sticks is fair but why are they overcharging for the Pads too!?
no point in getting it there, the price would end up being the same when you take shipping into factor

Ridli

Ronabo said:
fiending for it too...

I'm gonna buy the strategy guide and then put it in a blender and make a smoothie and shoot it up. :D

Hey brother can you spare a hit? I got the shakes real bad man.

I can't play HDR anymore, if I do, I just end up pretending it's SFIV. Yesterday I kept my mind off of things by watching 30 Rock and playing the Halo Wars demo for most of the day. That worked ok, but I think I probably should have saved that distraction for today, I don't think it's going to work two days in a row and I'm feeling the hype-itis worse today.

For those of you who do not have the game early
(screw you jerks who do have it early)
, how are you coping? I need ideas because I have no work days to occupy my time between now and release.

Top Bottom