• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

Etelmik

Neo Member
"Shoto" characters for SF IV:

Ryu, Ken, Akuma, Sagat, Dan, Sakura, Gouken.

You will see a LOT of players choose these characters; the differences exist, but they have generally similar strategies and advantages, and they are considered highly powerful.

Also, Ryu and Ken are old school and in the old old SF II people hardly picked anything else, so anyone coming back to the series will probably pick one of these characters since they'll be familiar with the moves.

In my experience, people who pick these characters are either extremely impossible to beat or extremely incompetent. Hardly any "average" or medium-skilled players playing them.

Their excessive use and similarities required the creation of some slang, I guess.

Etelmik said:
"Shoto" characters for SF IV:

Ryu, Ken, Akuma, Sagat, Dan, Sakura, Gouken.

You will see a LOT of players choose these characters; the differences exist, but they have generally similar strategies and advantages, and they are considered highly powerful.

Also, Ryu and Ken are old school and in the old old SF II people hardly picked anything else, so anyone coming back to the series will probably pick one of these characters since they'll be familiar with the moves.

In my experience, people who pick these characters are either extremely impossible to beat or extremely incompetent. Hardly any "average" or medium-skilled players playing them.

Their excessive use and similarities required the creation of some slang, I guess.

I'll be playing them and maybe Zangief or Cammy as well.

I thought Ryu and Ken sucked in SFII...compared to Guile, Zangief...

In Champion Edition...Guile, Tiger, Bison...

Turbo...Tiger, Guile...Ryu was coo...

Super...Boxer, Claw, Tiger, Guile...

ST...Boxer, Claw, Super Tiger, Shosh...

I'd say they're easy to pickup and get wins...but when playing against intermediate or expert players...that changes...

Dan also appeared in Alpha 1. Evil Ryu in Alpha 2. Not sure where that blog got its info.

Akim

Banned
Thank you for your recent order on BestBuy.com.

Unfortunately, due to a delay with the manufacturer your pre-order on the Street Fighter 4 Fight Stick order has been delayed. You may have received an email indicating your order is on backorder. Please be assured that your order will ship as soon as the product becomes available.

We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused you. Because you are a valued customer, we would like to offer you a $ 20 Digital Coupon toward a future purchase at www.BestBuy.com.

wait what? So I'm not getting it march 1st or I am?

LOL! update on the DHL debacle

they came to my house in the morning right after I left work but they did not update their tracking in the moring until 3:30PM

I was checking the tracking at home to see when I should intercept them

they suck ass

they wont deliver at my home again

I called them to deliver it to my job and to call my fuckin cell phone when they get here.

The reception at my work does not accept packages for employees (1500 employees), so I told the mother fucker to call my Cell phone from the receptions phone

I hope DHL goes out of business permanently and fuck off

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
gutter_trash said:

they came to my house in the morning right after I left work but they did not update their tracking in the moring until 3:30PM

they suck ass

I called them to deliver it to my job and to call my fuckin cell phone when they get here.

The reception at my work does not accept packages for employees (1500 employees), so I told the mother fucker to call my Cell phone from the receptions phone

You know what's worse? The delivery guy is shoto only! DUN DUN DUN!

gutter_trash said:

they suck ass

Wow and you were suppose to have this on Friday.. Sorry to hear. God bless FedEx for being decent at least.

zodiak

Wooo, SF4 preorder shipped :D

Also, anyone know when the Madcatz Fightpads are released in Europe? My preorder is still on "Expected February 2009" :/

zodiak said:

Also, anyone know when the Madcatz Fightpads are released in Europe? My preorder is still on "Expected February 2009" :/
from where, Amazon? My PS3 CE hasn't shipped from there yet... :(

r4z4

zodiak said:

I got an email from the gameshark store (I believe that is the MadCatz official UK store) saying that they will be shipping their hardware out this week.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Okay guys, working on one of the last SF4 posts for my site while I'm at work. Am going to list resources for player to use to learn more about the game. Here's what I have so far. Rough draft of course.

So, you're hyped about Street Fighter IV but you know you probably suck at it. The prospect of playing online scares the bejesus out of you. Don't lose heart Dear Reader, I, and many others, am in the same boat as you. Whether it's been quite a long time since you last picked a World Warrior to fight with, or you look at youtube videos of high level and fear every single player online are just as good, it's cool. I'm here to help. I'm going to provide you with some resources to get you on the road of Street Fighting greatness...or at least, a start to building a good foundation. This article will benefit those who wish to become better players much more than it will those who just want to mess around with the game with their friends and don't care about skill level or anything like that. Either way is fine with me. With that in mind, let's move on...

There are two things you must accept if you want to be a better fighting game player. These go hand in hand, but I'll list them seperately.

First, you must accept that becoming a better player means practice. Practice, practice and more practice. It means hopping in training modes and perfecting your timing and executions. It means taking your licks against players who are better than you and coming back for more. It means never losing heart when frustration tends to creep in. Becoming better at fighting games is akin to becoming better at a sport: You must put in the work to become a skilled player.

Second, you must be willing to learn outside of playing the game. Learn from those better than you when they write down their thoughts. Learn from their strategies, patterns and thoughts. Don't be afraid to ask questions. Learn the ins and outs of the different systems within the game through study. Read how to "charge partition" or "kara", what they mean and the situations they would be most useful. What moves may have priority over others and how to use that to your advantage. There are tons of material and discussion out there (not to mention videos) on any character you'd like to dedicate your time to learn.

One last thing you may consider is acquiring an arcade stick. Granted, if you're more comfortable using a good controller and d-pad by all means, go for it. However, the vast majority of the time, a good arcade stick will offer the player greater control over their actions as well as easier access to the many different button combinations you need to excel at the game. Of course, a good arcade stick will set you back a good amount of money. Anywhere from $79.99 to 149.99 or more. However, it's best to think of it as an investment. Pick up a stick and you can use it for all future fighting games for that system or even for the PC (if you use GGPO or MAME). To get you started right off the bat, you can look out for the Mad Catz Street Fighter IV FightStick for both PS3 and 360, the Hori Real Arcade Pro 3 for PS3 or the Hori Real Arcade Pro EX for 360.

Links I'll post: www.iplaywinner.com, www.sdtekken.com, www.shoryuken.com, www.gootecks.com (his SF3 Players guide to SF4 is nice btw), Haunt's mycheats guide which I lack the link to at the moment and... any other suggestions? youtube channels for videos? etc?

Feedback is wanted as well. Danke fellas and ladies.

Thai

Bane was better.
is there a place where we can trade PSN IDs? I want to play with GAFFERS and not the general PSN peasantry!

friend me, gaf!

zodiak

polyh3dron said:
from where, Amazon? My PS3 CE hasn't shipped from there yet... :(
Some local shop (Netherlands), they suddenly changed the release date to 14/2 and are shipping it now, not the CE btw...

Nakazato

Kintaro said:
Okay guys, working on one of the last SF4 posts for my site while I'm at work. Am going to list resources for player to use to learn more about the game. Here's what I have so far. Rough draft of course.

Links I'll post: www.iplaywinner.com, www.sdtekken.com, www.shoryuken.com, www.gootecks.com (his SF3 Players guide to SF4 is nice btw), Haunt's mycheats guide which I lack the link to at the moment and... any other suggestions? youtube channels for videos? etc?

http://www.youtube.com/user/ArcadeInfinity

MoxManiac

Kintaro said:

I think you really need to sprinkle something in about "Playing to Win". New players calling something cheap, or dishonorable, or whatever is perhaps the biggest roadblock there is to getting better.

MoxManiac said:
I think you really need to sprinkle something in about "Playing to Win". New players calling something cheap, or dishonorable, or whatever is perhaps the biggest roadblock there is to getting better.

Yeah, don't send pissy PSN messages if your dumbass gets thrown.

Or corner trapped.

Or ticked.

:lol :lol :lol

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
MoxManiac said:

The concept is fine, but a lot of people misinterpret it, especially on SRK.

Dante said:
So EB and Gamestops aren't getting this till Wed?
A lot of stores will be getting them on Tuesday. Best to call and check.

Blueblur1 said:
The stream is up again and everyone in there hates me for banning a ton of people. One of the new mods even hates me. :lol

Those guys must not have jobs? :|

I'm sitting here in the office :(

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Snapshot King said:
Man that stream is depressing. Nothing but shotos and infinite attempts to land ultras on someone elses wakeup.
Even as a scroto, I find that stream pretty boring.

Snapshot King said:
Man that stream is depressing. Nothing but shotos and infinite attempts to land ultras on someone elses wakeup.
I find Akumas trying to pull off his Super/Ulra and whiffing them to be hilarious.. Jab, Jab, short.... nothing.. Jab, Jab, Short.. nothing
ahahahaa

CPS2

Kintaro said:

You've probably got a lot of this type of thing by now, but the first guide I found for SF4 was at neoempire:
http://www.neoempire.com/forum/showthread.php?p=102971#post102971

It's pretty good, definitely worth checking out.

GQman2121

Banned
What's fun is to call a few Gamestops, then a few Game Crazy's, then a big box store. They all have something different to say.

The import store that I go to usually get's games in the previous Thursday before they're street dated. Not with this game though. :(

Top Bottom