• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

Oichi said:
Maybe the problem lies not with the characters, but with the players. :p

That EX headstomp does some ridiculous damage. And Blanka's EX...insta fireball snuffer and anti crossup shock...are things that can be mitigated...but they're obviously something players are using to their advantage...like the evil trinity supers in Third Strike (Ken kick super, Chun kick super and Yun custom combo).

I don't think Sirlin should get his hands on IV...but Capcom should come out with an upgrade and rebalance the roster. Fighting games have such long lifetimes...that it would be fine. Tekken 6 has just extended it's tremendous life in Japan by coming out with BR. And VF5 has been in the arcade for a minute...R introduced two "new" characters, etc.

_dementia said:
didn't it change to Saturday afternoons?

unless that was a one-time thing...

edit: the stream says Saturday at 3PM PST, so yeah.

Ew missed last week cause of surgery so i didn't know. /cry

Evil stream chat I'm in still says Thurs on the page=\ /cry more

MIMIC

Banned
I feel like I'm making progress with Ken's Hard Trial #5. After all of this damn crap, I've realize a couple of things:

1. Holding QCF (while pressing MP) prevents Ken from mistakenly doing his Super (when all you want is his Fierce Dragon Punch). Button mashing works a lot with this method, too.

2. Jumping Heavy Kick, c. LP, s. LP, c. MP works just as well as Jumping HK, c. MP, c. MP (learned that from Trial #4 :lol).

3. I am cheating and using my PSX adapter and using the turbo function (so I only have to roll my fingers for the first 4 hits instead of tapping them). I've been on this trial too long and this makes it SOOOOO much easier. I don't give a fuck anymore.

And speaking of turbo, is this even permissible on Xbox Live? Thinking back, some of the people that I've played against threw jabs at me that had some of the hallmarks (like speed and technique) of the turbo that I'm using for this trial.

ETA: and in regards to taunting, I fucking hate it (much like I hate teabagging in Halo). I don't do it to anyone (only if they're just standing there like they threw the controller across the room or something).

gutter_trash said:
oh boy, tonight was a busy night on SF4
then turned into a comedy fest on HDR Lobbies with gaffers

GGs to all in both games

Dosukoi!

I'm loving the chat room. A place to chill and get matches. I'd say I check there moreso than here now...

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Spiderjericho said:
I'm loving the chat room. A place to chill and get matches. I'd say I check there moreso than here now...

Honestly the chat room is probably going to get me playing the PS3 version a lot more now. It's a great feature.

qcf x2

Oichi said:
Maybe the problem lies not with the characters, but with the players. :p

I think it's a bit of both. Vega and Bison are pretty much designed for the player to run away the entire match. Nobody wants that in a fighting game. And Fuerte's entire game is based on being random. That's kinda...Soul Calibur like? idk, I don't like it. They're so gimmicky.

I wish I had a video camera so I could show you guys how I (Viper) deal with Vega players. It's a little trick I figured out that involves spamming random moves the way they spam random flying attacks. No combos, no ultras necessary. Works 85% of the time.

I'm starting to doubt they'll make any tweaks to the gameplay in the form of a downloadable update. There's enough that (imo) should be done that it probably would merit a new game.

MIMIC said:

Here's a video of how someone got it to work:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFffmIlov00

I don't remember too much about the combo. Personally, I thought the execution at the beginning was the worst part (the low link then shoryuken), but maybe try just practicing the combo in pieces...like the first part up to the shoryuken...then the second part...fierce shoryuken (two hits), FADC>ex tatsu>>>Shinryuken.

Sucky ass shinryuken...seriously...anti air, whiffed move or FA crumple... what other uses...

But at least it doesn't have the startup of Ryu's...(yeah, yeah...omg...trade DP>ultra or ex tatsu in corner>ultra or SRK>FADC>ultra)

I played a 6000K Vega tonight. He beat me, but it was a close match. Seriously, my biggest issue is matchups... But I guess I'll have to delve into player matches more so I can see...and that's what GAFCHAT is for...

qcfx2, it is a little of both. But some of the moves are too good...that frackin roundhouse kick with sagat...can hit you twice...then ultra (yeah, there's scaling...but he does ridiculous damage to begin with). Also, Sagat does ridiculous damage but doesn't have the health penalty Akuma does.

And why wouldn't Honda have an EX torpedo that goes through fireballs?

Why does Fei Long's Ultra not complete when it hits the opponent in the air?

And I understand that players take advantage of loopholes... But it's not as bad as roll cancels in CVS, etc. or the evil trinity in TS (which everyone hails as the greatest fighting game...but only three characters end up being viable in a tournament versus the number of viable characters in IV or ST).

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
qcf x2 said:
I think it's a bit of both. Vega and Bison are pretty much designed for the player to run away the entire match. Nobody wants that in a fighting game. And Fuerte's entire game is based on being random. That's kinda...Soul Calibur like? idk, I don't like it. They're so gimmicky.

To me there's nothing random about Fuerte's game at all, but the only thing I'll agree with is that Fuerte is a bit gimmicky in that his game revolves around his loop. It's not even about hitting it, but the mere presence of it makes people change up their style.

And I disagree with your argument that people don't want to run away. There are people who prosper with a turtle/runaway style and want to play like that, and it's good that there are characters designed to suit their style.

qcf x2

And yeah, I only taunt if I'm playing a friend. Otherwise it's pretty poor sportmanship. This isn't 3rd Strike where it actually gives you stat boosts. And plus Capcom made them cancellable, which is even more lame. At least if you're gonna make meaningless taunts, make them something that you gotta have balls to use.

CPS2

I just finished Ken's trials the other day and have no idea why people would have trouble with #5 over #4. Pretty sure with #4 they need to be like 2 body widths from the corner, and you need to do a fairly tough link before the ultra which is really easy to stuff up. Nearly every time I did this with them in the corner, Ken would switch sides and it wouldn't connect. #5 is fairly easy imo.

Oichi, how come you're never on Gaf chat? I see you post a lot, I'd love to play you a few games. If you need an invite, my tag is bananafriends

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
FindMyFarms said:
Oichi, how come you're never on Gaf chat? I see you post a lot, I'd love to play you a few games. If you need an invite, my tag is bananafriends

Because I live in Japan and I am usually at work/arcade/gym when you guys are playing.:lol I've only played gaffers on the weekends when I have nothing to do... like if I'm not going out with my gf/other friends or playing VF I'm playing SF at home. I'll add ya when I get home but the lag might be shit... I played Tekno and it was alright but when I played slayn and Pop On Arrival it was pretty shitty for us. :/

Arde5643

Teknopathetic said:
Nice vid, Tekno.

Quick questions for Tekno as Dictator:
1) when you blocked Blanka's regular horizontal ball, couldn't you do HK scissorkick instead of the LK version? I noticed you mostly came up short with the LK scissorkick when you tried to punish a blocked Blanka ball.
2) When Blanka did his ultra on wake-up, will doing EX psycho crusher or your own ultra help to avoid it?

"Quick questions for Tekno as Dictator:
1) when you blocked Blanka's regular horizontal ball, couldn't you do HK scissorkick instead of the LK version? I noticed you mostly came up short with the LK scissorkick when you tried to punish a blocked Blanka ball.
2) When Blanka did his ultra on wake-up, will doing EX psycho crusher or your own ultra help to avoid it?"

1) Yes, You're supposed to do HK. That was me failing.
2) I should've been blocking and then doing ultra, but again, I was being dumb trying to teleport out.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Teknopathetic said:
2) I should've been blocking and then doing ultra, but again, I was being dumb trying to teleport out.

I'm thinking about starting with bison, can't you use one of the other teleports to get across the other side of the screen? behind blanka?

Arde5643

catfish said:
I'm thinking about starting with bison, can't you use one of the other teleports to get across the other side of the screen? behind blanka?
Not a good thing to do when Blanka is doing ultra since dictator is entirely defenseless during the recovery frames of his teleport.

"I'm thinking about starting with bison, can't you use one of the other teleports to get across the other side of the screen? behind blanka?"

No. dp forward + ppp = directly behind opponent, dp back + ppp = halfscreen backwards, dp forward + kkk = directly in front opponent, dp back + kkk = fullscreen back.

edit: got it backwards.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Good games, Teknopathetic. Granted, I lost the bulk and as you can see I can't handle fireball spam. Still fun. Sorry I played nothing but Sakura, but she's all I really have. That and an awful, awful Rose. Felt like I figured a few things out. For a while there I kept going into the EX dragon punch, but I was trying to hadouken to see if that would do me better. I don't think I actually pulled it off, though.

I am glad I have figured out Zangief for the most part. :lol Good players still wreck me, but I still feel like I have a good chance against the big guy.

decon

I want to learn a new charachter. Which should i go with, Rufus, Abel or C.Viper? I really like Abels moves but I'm having such a hard time playing him. I play as Sagat atm, got 1500 bp if that says anything about my skills :p

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
oh, must've missed that one, It seemed like you were just teleporting to the same place.

Actually, do you have many good uses for bisons teleport offensively? When I use it it seems like a beacon for 'hey beat the crap out of me while I'm helpless and pink' recovery is pretty slow on it.

Garcian

catfish said:
Actually, do you have many good uses for bisons teleport offensively? When I use it it seems like a beacon for 'hey beat the crap out of me while I'm helpless and pink' recovery is pretty slow on it.

I use it on wake up if I'm being hounded & I don't have any meter. Other than that I now use it to annoy wall-diving Vega's :)

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Lost Fragment said:
I just had someone using Dan ragequit.

It's like, if you're going to get butthurt about being demolished, don't pick Dan.
Hahaha, Dan's not so bad. I'm actually trying to main him for a bit. Good times. Stupid priority on his Ultra, and his "Tiger Knee" (lp dan kick)

And taunting is fun.

EDIT: WTF? When did I get this tag?

EDIT2: lol, oh yeah. That :lol

Won

decon said:
I want to learn a new charachter. Which should i go with, Rufus, Abel or C.Viper? I really like Abels moves but I'm having such a hard time playing him. I play as Sagat atm, got 1500 bp if that says anything about my skills :p

I say all of them!

That didn't help, right? :(

Rufus is probably the easiest to learn of the three. Good stamina. Some insane damage on his ex moves. And of course an ultra that is (way too) easy to land.

Man school has been eating up all of my free time and I have barely been able to play this game. Then something cool happened, a classmate brought in his PS3 and we played SFIV on our class room projector, it was pretty bad ass. Everyone played and even though the skill levels were pretty varied a good time was had by all. I even helped my buddy unlock a few characters. This totally motivated me to fire up my PS3 and get down to unlocking everyone. I managed to get Gouken and Akuma tonight after a bit of work. Once I get Seth unlocked (I have zero intention of ever using him) I'll have no excuse but to go online and see how badly I'll do.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
This might have been the most dickish thing I've done in SF4, but I find it hilarious.

Guy was playing Ryu and beat me round 1. I take a bit of damage the next round, hop to one side of the screen and taunt. I think I really pissed him off with that, but I was able to win the next two rounds. :lol

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
got to 1902 BP and me and the house mate were all '2000 here we come' and proceeded to eat giant helpings of shit until 1500Bp

:(

I take a bit of damage the next round, hop to one side of the screen and taunt. I think I really pissed him off with that, but I was able to win the next two rounds.

This has inspired me to start my next ranked match with a taunt. It will probably hurt, but if I get lucky with a jump back person, that will be pretty funny. Have to win after that though....

MNC

Had some great player matches today. Thank god there are still some people who play normal instead of spamming fireball/dragonpunches.

Top Bottom