• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

_dementia said:
Aphamd/UC1 that sounds terrible. 360 version, right?

Yes. 360.

Dude, it was perfect before. Now, the "vs." screen has a little "skip" in it. Also, things like Loading/Saving, Checking for DLC, all take twice as long now.

It sounds minor and it probably is, but it just makes me so mad! It was perfect before!!!

decon

I don't get this new mode. What's the point exactly? Why didn't they just put hidden character select and whatever little tweaks into the ranked game mode? There isn't even a real replay system, nor a real tournament system.

LakeEarth

vertopci said:
Holy fuck did they really change Zangiefs lariat hitbox with the patch?

If so, thank fucking god. Hated getting hit by a fucking invisible box.
It's the current rumor, as well as some talk about some EX moves getting FP damage instead of ~MP damage, but I haven't seen any real evidence of it yet.

vertopci

Shadow780 said:
Nice, did they inprove the net code or something? I've been getting green bars for the first time!

Before green bars were combined with the flashing icon. So you almost never saw the green bar, even if you had one.

qcf x2

I did (and won)one lil tourney before I left for work. So I'm sure I am overreacting here. But man, BP, GP, CP, what the hell is GP?

BP = a relative measure of your skill vs ranked opponents
CP = Experience points you get from playing in tournaments
GP = What?

For some reason I figured the tournament mode would be more like...idk, a tournament? With like 8 or 16 players in one lobby matched up. Would be nice to view other matches as well, but gee...I thought it would be a bit more than just "fight one stranger, go back to the mode, fight another stranger, go back to the mode, fight a 3rd stranger and....YOU ARE THE CHAMPION!".

It's like Player Match with blind select and it's own stats. :-\

LakeEarth

Yeah it isn't what I imagined at all. The "final" is just the system matching you to someone who also just beat 2 opponents in a row (at the same GP rank).

Grade points are what actually rank you up. You get more grade points depending on how you finish in the tournament. You don't get any grade points until you lose or win the whole tournament.

Championship points you get throughout the tournament. I'm assuming the amount of Championship points you have at the end of the tournament determines whether you can upload a replay or not. You get more championship points for playing a higher ranked opponent, again, I'm speculating that.

Has anyone seen if Sagat's damage/life has been nerfed? It's been pretty much confirmed that Fei's rh cw start up has been slowed down.

Why can't capcom list out the changes in the update like every other developer. Seriously, it's like they come up with shit for us to hate them for on purpose.

MIMIC

Banned
I'm losing left and right with Fuerte. :lol I should just go back to Blanka and start pwning :D

I made one final so far and choked (I won a round though). This Championship mode is still fun as hell though. I won my first Fuerte vs. Fuerte match. Shit was INSANE! :lol

Flek

Banned
FindMyFarms said:
Lobbies and a tournament mode don't take very long to implement. There's no excuse to not have had it at launch to begin with.

well you know there is one...."lobbies patch out now on PSN and XBL - 15.99 $"

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
BP is obsolete now. Got cheated to hell

I have no idea what CP is used for at all

GP is results, which is used to gain ranks. I think that's the one that matters.

Won

Yeah still no idea what CP do. Ended up with 1600 CP after the final and....nothing. Well i got 66 GP instead of 55.

Oh and a surprising amount of Abels out there, but outside that it is pretty much the same ~6 guys like always. :(

def sim

I'm loving the complete mess of varying skills in Championship mode so far. It always throws me off when someone knows how to do their characters BnB's especially after just playing some dude who only knew how to do jumping roundhouse, crouching roundhouse, and fierce whatever special move.

Too bad it'll be back to normal by tomorrow.

Flek said:
well you know there is one...."lobbies patch out now on PSN and XBL - 15.99 $"

I will seriously ninja assassinate every exec at capcom if they do that. No joke. I'm talking about some tenchu stealth shit here. Like Ono's gonna be eating a rice bun and next thing u know SPLAT.

BTW Since Capcom was too lazy to do their own damn job, here's a a thread at SRK where upstanding individuals are detailing character changes.

http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=187326

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I like the new system

a. organising a tournament where 16 people have to be there at the same time would die faster (but would still be a great option AS WELL)

b. it gives me something to shoot for. I like being in a 'final' knowing that I might make it to the next grade if I win. What happens if you lose though? I've won all 6 of my matches and ranked up 2 times. Had to beat a Sagat in the final FUCKING HATE SAGAT and it was super satisfying to be told that I AM THE CHAMPION after beating his ass :D

c. no idea what CP is. GP is the ranking up thing......... oh wait... it's like this. Championship points is MY FIGHT MONEY You can rank up without winning a tournament, but if you win a tournament you get Championship points. It's like magic money. More you have, more tournaments you won.

I guess you can get to the top championship level, but have no money. If another guy has lots of this then you know he's hardcore. So in your matchups, look for the guys CP to get an indication if he's winning tournaments or just climbing by not losing to badly.

Also, the higher the GP of players in tournaments, the higher the CP payout. So that's why losing has a consequence, you don't lose GP, but you don't GAIN CP.

is it possible to move down grades?

Ploid 3.0

FindMyFarms said:
I will seriously ninja assassinate every exec at capcom if they do that. No joke. I'm talking about some tenchu stealth shit here. Like Ono's gonna be eating a rice bun and next thing u know SPLAT.

BTW Since Capcom was too lazy to do their own damn job, here's a a thread at SRK where upstanding individuals are detailing character changes.

http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=187326

What there are character changes in this update?!

I wonder if seth got stealthed. They wouldn't dare touch Sagat.

catfish said:
I like the new system

a. organising a tournament where 16 people have to be there at the same time would die faster (but would still be a great option AS WELL)

b. it gives me something to shoot for. I like being in a 'final' knowing that I might make it to the next grade if I win. What happens if you lose though?

You can rank up by losing the final match. I don't understand this system at all.

Ploid 3.0 said:
What there are character changes in this update?!

I wonder if seth got stealthed. They wouldn't dare touch Sagat.

Yeah, one of the new nerfs is zangief's lariat only hits low on the initial rotation. Hopefully capcom fixed Vega's bs too. But I wouldn't be surprised if they only balanced one or two things, got lazy, and said fuck it, we don't have to do this!

edit - Have to say that i have yet to actually try any of this, and am only going off the SRK thread. There WAS poster however that mentioned Capcom DID list changes and there was no mention of character changes. So either this is in every1's head, or capcom DID make char changes, but was too lazy to post the changes.

http://forums.shoryuken.com/showpost.php?p=6568405&postcount=68

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
So .. there are character changes ? Just right before EVO ? Without patch notes?

FindMyFarms said:
Yeah, one of the new nerfs is zangief's lariat only hits low on the initial rotation. Hopefully capcom fixed Vega's bs too. But I wouldn't be surprised if they only balanced one or two things, got lazy, and said fuck it, we don't have to do this!

edit - Have to say that i have yet to actually try any of this, and am only going off the SRK thread. There WAS poster however that mentioned Capcom DID list changes and there was no mention of character changes. So either this is in every1's head, or capcom DID make char changes, but was too lazy to post the changes.

http://forums.shoryuken.com/showpost.php?p=6568405&postcount=68

LOL @ EWGF changing.

"It's Ryu's best launcher":lol

LakeEarth said:
Still aren't 100% about the balance changes. Give it a few days and we'll know for sure WHAT Capcom did.

Yeah, or Capcom could have made it clear if there were or weren't changes.

On another topic, event hubs updated their tier lists. No real sources to be cited however. Some think it might be leaked arcadia rankings.

http://www.eventhubs.com/guides/2008/oct/17/street-fighter-4-tiers-character-rankings/

I understand these might not be real, but I found Elf going 7-3 on Seth to be interesting. A lot of pro players in my area say Seth might eventually end up being top 3 in tiers.

edit - Also interesting is how C. Viper went from S+ back down to middle tier. Were there counters found for her tactics that brought her to S+?

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
I am a little annoyed that the tournament mode kicks me out to the network battle screen after a match. Can't it just kick me back to a lobby screen?

It's a nice mode (only played a couple of matches), but it isn't a tournament mode.

And what the fuck is up with nerf/buffing without telling anyone? Surely Killian understands that these things are important to know for the community... :|

It's safe to say for now that Ryu and Sagat have no bad matchups. I expected Sim to be at least 6 - 4 on Sagat though. I guess it really can go either way.

GalacticAE said:
It's safe to say for now that Ryu and Sagat have no bad matchups. I expected Sim to be at least 6 - 4 on Sagat though. I guess it really can go either way.

Wow I just noticed the bison hat on top of mario in ur av. Does that mean mario can follow up punch after stomping on koopas

def sim

There really should have been an option to download the replay for every game you play. These files are just like the Halo 3 replays so they are very small.

We're probably going to have to wait for another patch months later just for this. :(

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
prodystopian said:
You can rank up by losing the final match. I don't understand this system at all.

but you don't get championship points for the win of the championship. So that's the downside. you still qualify to be higher grade because you made it to the final.

what happens if you start a tournament and lose all 3 matches?

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
So the game asked if I wanted to upload a video and since I was just hammering x to get through the post-game I hit it. But god knows where the hell that video went, I certainly can't find it anywhere. Nor any other videos for that matter.

Where these bitches be hiding?

catfish said:
but you don't get championship points for the win of the championship. So that's the downside. you still qualify to be higher grade because you made it to the final.

what happens if you start a tournament and lose all 3 matches?

I am only speaking about the first rank with 3 matches (somewhat different for the others). If you lose the first match, you end up in 'another tourney' and you get another first match until you win one. Then you go onto the semi final. If you win > final. If you lose, I think you play a 3rd place match.

These are just my observations. I am thoroughly confused about how this actually works.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
LakeEarth said:
I still can't believe tiers say Abel is at an advantage against Blanka, I never know what to do against him.

Well, he does get a free QCF+P after every blocked HP Blanka Ball for starters, dunno if that's the main reason why...

KevinCow

Banned
Brobzoid said:
So the game asked if I wanted to upload a video and since I was just hammering x to get through the post-game I hit it. But god knows where the hell that video went, I certainly can't find it anywhere. Nor any other videos for that matter.

Where these bitches be hiding?
Leaderboards. Change the orange thing to "New Replays" and the yellow thing to "Friends" and you should be able to find it easily.

Top Bottom