• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

No_Style

Guled said:
don't know if its old or not but

I agree with the concept of not charging for "core gameplay" content. Kudos to that, but he must realize that the majority didn't want the Brawler pack as the pack in. Insert the Beauty pack instead and there would be a lot less whining.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
2&2 said:
I don't buy his argument. Also don't like how he tries to make the DLC sound like it's mere sofa change. Sure, it's 80 cents per costume, but for all of them it's $20, or 1/3 of the cost of the entire games. Let's break down the cost of everything in the game, and see how much it costs the consumer per asset. Sure would be a a heck of a lot less than 80 cents. That's a terrible value when second costumes are staples of 3d-modeled fighters.

Well dont forget 360 prices are inflated due to Micro$oft.

In any case, whatever, dont wanna soil the thread anymore with this DLC talk :) Sorry I brought it up

Guled

btw to those looking for a TE stick in Canada, eb games has it listed for March 15 now, they are still taking orders but I don't expect it to go on for much longer

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
No_Style said:
I agree with the concept of not charging for "core gameplay" content. Kudos to that, but he must realize that the majority didn't want the Brawler pack as the pack in. Insert the Beauty pack instead and there would be a lot less whining.

To be technical, the "majority" didn't know what they were getting in the first place. Just costumes. Then the DLC bomb dropped, then people took that anger and carried it over to the CE as a whole being worthless since it was the Brawler Pack. With that mindset, you had people saying 5 DLC costumes were worth $20 (forget the anime, OST and figure! Need the COSTUMES!). THAT'S the silly thing to me.

If you were getting the CE solely for costumes (paying a $20 difference) then complaining about DLC at all, is silly since you just told me that you were paying $20 for 5 costumes and confirms that Capcom will make bank on these DLC costumes. In my mind anyway.

Moving on...still no word from Ashley for me. =(

dfyb

Banned
think i'm going to switch my CE to a regular order. can't justify the extra money. this whole DLC situation is shitty. $20 for content that's already on the disc and was finished several months ago is not justifiable.

I'm inclined to agree that if you preordered the CE solely for the 5 costumes (and we've known it would only be 5 costumes in the CE well before they announced the DLC packs) that you're a sucker. No offense (actually, a LOT of offense).

Kintaro

dfyb said:
think i'm going to switch my CE to a regular order. can't justify the extra money. this whole DLC situation is shitty. $20 for content that's already on the disc and was finished several months ago is not justifiable.

Well, there's the extra anime feature, soundtrack and figure in there too you know... s'all good though. I like collecting Blu Rays. :lol

This kind of proves my point above.

Barrett2

dfyb said:

I really like the CE, but I agree, I am buying so much game stuff this much, its definitely hard to justify the extra money for a figurine I will quickly forget about and a bonus disc I will watch once and put in the closet. I don't know, though, I never buy CEs, so I can probably afford this one. Its a close call.

No_Style

Guled said:
btw to those looking for a TE stick in Canada, eb games has it listed for March 15 now, they are still taking orders but I don't expect it to go on for much longer

Hmm... $189. No SE in the system? What did you get, Guled?

Kintaro said:
This kind of proves my point above.

Yeah. I knew what I was getting in the first place (I hope it's a significant OST and not just 8 tracks). That whole DLC nonsense was just icing on the cake.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Teknopathetic said:
I'm inclined to agree that if you preordered the CE solely for the 5 costumes (and we've known it would only be 5 costumes in the CE well before they announced the DLC packs) that you're a sucker. No offense (actually, a LOT of offense).

kidschool13.gif

dfyb

Banned
Teknopathetic said:
I'm inclined to agree that if you bought the CE solely for the (5 costumes, and we've known it would only be 5 costumes in the CE for awhile) that you're a sucker. No offense (actually, a LOT of offense).
i pre-ordered before we knew what the DLC was. i thought it'd be something we hadn't seen yet -- at that time, nobody assumed the alt costumes would cost extra. we weren't dealing with namco, after all. sucks to see another publisher go into the deep end with ridiculous DLC.

Guled

No_Style said:
Hmm... $189. No SE in the system? What did you get, Guled?
the SE sticks not available for pre orders anymore, but I think its a matter of them not knowing how much they are getting instead of all the sticks being accounted for. I have the TE and SE stick for pre order for the ps3 and another SE stick for 360

Askia47

So has anybody decided or thought about who their main should be? I'm eyeing Rose, Cammy, Viper, or maybe Ryu or Sagat. But in reality I have no clue :D , i did like Viper when I played her back in arcades, and Akuma was good too.

"i pre-ordered before we knew what the DLC was. i thought it'd be something we hadn't seen yet -- at that time, nobody assumed the alt costumes would cost extra."

I'm not sure what else people thought it could be. We knew it wasn't going to be characters as Ono has spoken out against that since the beginning. I don't think extra stages as DLC even makes sense. While there's no gameplay altering difference from playing on one stage or another, what do you do if one person has the extra levels and the other doesn't? Do you have them playing on different stages on their respective screens? Do you just randomly pick a stage but only select from the stages that both players own? What's the point of having DLC that you can only use some of the time? Furthermore, who the fuck really cares about extra stages? It's neat to see once or twice and see cool shit in the background (Balrog dash uppering the plane door open on the Airfield), but after that, it's essentially just background noise.

I'm really just boggled by it all.

"we weren't dealing with namco, after all. sucks to see another publisher go into the deep end with ridiculous DLC"

The DLC is stupid, no doubt. All DLC on consoles is stupid. Most of the shit that gets charged for 1-5$ bucks would simply be including in a patch for a PC game. But honestly, I don't really care if they want to charge people for costumes because they're so wholly unimportant. AND, if charging dorks for costumes because they wanna see Rose's thonthothonthonthong subsidizes free, *substantial* updates like the Championship mode, replays, etc. then I am all for it.

Oh, can I also add in that all CEs are suckertraps as well? Because, I just did.

Rotanibor

While I didn't get the CE soley for the downloadable content (donno who in their right mind would do that) I am pretty annoyed about the DLC issue. I was taking the DLC to be part of the whole package of the CE, and now that I find it includes the one costume set I wasn't ever considering under any circumstance, it makes the package seem slightly less desirable as a whole.

The whole issue seems a little bit underhanded to me. I don't know if I will stick with my pre-order for the CE at this point. It doesn't help that from what I understand the anime movie is just recut footage from the game with some things added in. The CE is losing its value fast.

Darkman M

Askia47 said:
So has anybody decided or thought about who their main should be? I'm eyeing Rose, Cammy, Viper, or maybe Ryu or Sagat. But in reality I have no clue :D , i did like Viper when I played her back in arcades, and Akuma was good too.

I get the feeling she's gonna be one of the higher tier characters her super is magnificent she can snatch a juggled character out the air with it, i saw a video where Sakura tried to super her but roses super canceled sakuras out overall she just looks like a solid character.

Ploid 3.0

CE aside, you get everything relevant to the game for free. If you're a big SF fan, the DLC is a chance to go the extra mile for some non-essential goofiness and support one of your favorite franchises. By supporting Capcom and making SFIV a success, you are supporting the production of future SF games. If SFIV is not a success, the odds of making more games like this get pretty slim. If supporting the SF franchise in this way or just getting the zany alternate costumes is not important to you, there is no pressure to buy it whatsoever--you are still playing the same great game as everybody else.

I'm not telling anybody anything they don't alreeady know, I guess I'm just looking for a little perspective here. I'm proud of the SFIV package, and VERY proud of the decision not to nerf gameplay with DLC. The bottom line is that SFIV is a potentially epic game--angry discussions about 80-cent hats do not embiggen us all.

More like support the idea of stupid dlc in every other fighting game that is released from now on. I hope their little project fails (dlc not the game). I hope Super Street Fighter 4 Turbo have 0 dlc, and all of the previous dlc from the other SF4 games for free and on the disk.

Don't worry I won't mention this again. Note I said nothing about the "c" word. Just replying to this quote from capcom.

dfyb

Banned
Teknopathetic said:
"i pre-ordered before we knew what the DLC was. i thought it'd be something we hadn't seen yet -- at that time, nobody assumed the alt costumes would cost extra."

I'm not sure what else people thought it could be.

*offshoot stage DLC rant*

I'm really just boggled by it all.
look, i assumed content in the arcade version would be included in the home version -- i think this may set new precedence. what did i think the DLC could have been? i don't know -- they were being quiet at that time keeping it a secret. i didn't think the quietness was capcom being slimy and hiding the fact that they're holding back content; i thought a delayed announcement would mean they'd be announcing something new. what a silly idea, right?

PhatSaqs

Banned
Darkman M said:
I get the feeling she's gonna be one of the higher tier characters her super is magnificent she can snatch a juggled character out the air with it, i saw a video where Sakura tried to super her but roses super canceled sakuras out overall she just looks like a solid character.
Yeah. I saw a vid where Rose combod the ultra off an AA FA catching the opponent in the air. Im already tired of seeing that ultra.

Pimpbaa

All you who are getting the game early, I hate you so very much. And to those who are pirating the game, die in a fire!

Teknoman

Teknopathetic said:

Wuncler'd

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
haunts said:
Broken? :lol

man i wish that word never made it to GAF.

GAF? I wish that word never made it onto the internet. It's been overused/misused/both since the usenet days.

Kintaro

Ah, home sweet home. Time to check out those videos mentioned earlier and study up on some Ken.

Edit: DAMN that Edma video was nice! Some fun Ken tricks in there.

Zapages

contemplating whether to pre-order the CE through buy.com or just wait it out and hope to find a copy of the CE on the 18th at best buy, sears, toys r us, or gamestop, etc?

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Woo! My TE was at home after all! Time for deliciously dumb photo!

xavi_and_testick_lol.jpg

SUCCESS!

Probably been asked, but I'd hate to have to look through 68 pages. So, what's the general consensus as far as platform preference goes?

Top Bottom