• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
SnowWolf said:
Sorting through photos now, will (hopefully) be posting them in a couple hours. The grand finals was absolutely genius. Witnessing the adaptation, the counters, and the counter-counters in person made this tourney one of the most amazing events I've ever been to.

Ah okay then, good to read...

The yelling happened when Justin took the win at Finals (not Grand Finals)...

big props to Wong though. It's amazing to see Daigo is dedicated to Ryu extracting amazing things out of the character, but it's also great we have players like Wong and Sanford dishing out some variety and putting on a show. They are all amazing to watch.

Jason

Rice-Eater said:
My personal favorites

Professionalism: Seth Killian

Comedy: Yipes

Tag Team: Yipes + Andre

I just love this guy: Chis Hu

he's doing commentary on money matches right now. :lol

LakeEarth

SnowWolf said:
I just came back from the tourney, I don't remember anybody getting in Daigo's face. I was 5 feet away from Daigo too, right behind the announcer's table. I could have reached my arm out and touched Seth. When did Seth say this?
Right after the first or second match when Justin did Fei Long's flamekick FADC chickenwing into ultra finish.

K.Sabot

I shudder at the thought of Justin ever putting the time he has for all the characters he plays and focusing it into one main character like Daigo.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
Skilotonn said:
Ah okay then, good to read...

The yelling happened when Justin took the win at Finals (not Grand Finals)...

Ok, I can believe that. The crowd was REALLY rowdy during the Finals when Daigo had no idea how to respond to Fei Wong.

Fersis said:
SO IT WAS YOU! :mad:
Who were you? You should have said hi!

K.Sabot said:
I shudder at the thought of Justin ever putting the time he has for all the characters he plays and focusing it into one main character like Daigo.

The idea of counter picking suggests its more beneficial to actually use more characters, though.

Shit, people are all over Daigo's nuts for beat Justin, when Justin was bringing it to Daigo; the best SF player in the world with Fei? I'm not even sold that Justin lost due to Daigo's adaptation, rather with his constant flops when it came to linking.

I really hope Fei receives an ultra buff is SS4, he'll be fucking deadly if he can FADC into it.

Kikujiro

I'm really liking the fact that after Evo 09 they're continuing to stream big tourneys, it really helps to make the community interested and hyped, though they should improve the quality of the streams (Devastation is still the best).

So, what's the next big tourney?:lol

Fuck, it's 5:11 AM here but I can't stop watching the stream:lol

LakeEarth

Spirit of Jazz said:
Shit, people are all over Daigo's nuts for beat Justin, when Justin was bringing it to Daigo, the best SF player in the world with Fei? I'm not even sold that Justin lost due to Daigo's adaptation, rather with his constant flops when it came to linking.
That link is really hard and can't be done if the chicken wing hits early. I hate that move just because the mixup puts me in a risky position. Justin was getting outfootsied with a character who's biggest strength is his footsies.

Spirit of Jazz said:
Shit, people are all over Daigo's nuts for beat Justin, when Justin was bringing it to Daigo, the best SF player in the world with Fei? I'm not even sold that Justin lost due to Daigo's adaptation, rather with his constant flops when it came to linking.

It's a case of the winner getting the glory and the loser getting nothing. .

Though, the thing is a lot of people can say they ultra countered a projectile when someone didn't know the matchup, but not a lot of people can say they learned a character matchup on the fly in the middle of a tournament.

LakeEarth said:
That link is really hard and can't be done if the chicken wing hits early. I hate that move just because the mixup puts me in a risky position. Justin was getting outfootsied with a character who's biggest strength is his footsies.

Right, they mentioned that on commentary but to that end surely it's a matter of spacing it? Also Justin seemed to miss quite a few normal links that lead to him eating fierce shoryukens. I think it's unfair to say he got outfootsied though, a hell of a lot of Diago's damage was done through ume shryukens, jump in combos, crumples and FADCs where as the majority of Justin's damage was coming from his footsie game. I mean I don't think you can say that the reason Justin lost that match was due to him having a weaker footsie game.

Can anybody point me to SB4 Ustream achive videos if they're available? I missed almost everything on Saturday so I'd love to see those matches and how Daigo did against Sanford's Cammy.

MoxManiac

Spirit of Jazz said:
Right, they mentioned that on commentary but to that end surely it's a matter of spacing it? Also Justin seemed to miss quite a few normal links that lead to him eating fierce shoryukens. I think it's unfair to say he got outfootsied though, a hell of a lot of Diago's damage was done through ume shryukens, jump in combos, crumples and FADCs where as the majority of Justin's damage was coming from his footsie game. I mean I don't think you can say that the reason Justin lost that match was due to him having a weaker footsie game.

I recall Justin outfootsie-ing Daigo quite a bit with his Balrog back during Evo as well.

He was really abusing the hell out of Fei's c.HP though. I couldn't believe the number of times that move connected against Daigo.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Damn, I fell asleep right before the Daigo vs. Justin match in winners finals and woke up right now.

Wong gets disrespectful and gets owned again. Nice. Level up scrub.

Timedog said:
Damn, I fell asleep right before the Daigo vs. Justin match in winners finals and woke up right now.

Wong gets disrespectful and gets owned again. Nice. Level up scrub.
I missed it too. Completely forgot about it :^/

haunts said:
Justin haters are scrubs.

Good shit Justin, next time...

I don't think anyone in here hates Justin. If they wanted to see anyone play Daigo, it was Justin (besides Andre).

Justin is the best SF player in the U.S. hands down. There's no question. He had to carry his team several times during the 3 on 3.

Also, as a super villain, I appreciate his craftiness. He intentionally chose not to use Fei Long during his first to 10 with Daigo because there was a possibility he might face him during the tournament, and he knew that would be his ace in the hole.

And as far as versatility goes, he's king. He plays Boxer, Abel, Rufus, Fei Long and has started to dabble with C.Viper. The only other two players who are similar are Sanford and Marn.

Everyone respects him and obviously were rooting for him in that Grand Final.

But...damn...Daigo is the man. And just like there is a segment of the population that hates on Justin, it's the same for Diego. How many people do you think were yelling at him during that final? That's very uncomfortable to be in a foreign country, not speak the language and have them egging you. He came to this tournament as a guest (I'm sure the money had a lot to do with it). Competition wise, he'd get more in Japan. But he's kind of turned into this ambassador of Street Fighter.

And it's crazy he came and won two tournaments (HDR and SFIV) and got third in the team tournament (cuz he had scrubby partners). I mean he obviously doesn't play the console characters (nor do most of the Japanese) and neither do they have HDR (he might have gotten an American account to download it, but who's he really playing). His skills are unparalleled and his fundamentals are that solid, that he can adapt or win in many situations. I wonder what the yahoos on 2Ch are saying.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
Here's a few photos, tweaked very quickly to improve brightness. All throughout the tournament, lighting conditions for photography had been fantastic. But today they turned off the lights for finals, which was not ideal for photos obviously. Tomorrow I'll post a link to more/better edited photos plus a writeup about my experience.

1zou6nk.jpg

Pad-Viper/Rose

6s6f7k.jpg

Triforce with PowerGlove, shirt and pendant

2rhpht1.jpg

Seth Killian and skisonic rocking the commentary

4jqfx2.jpg

Floe vs. Sanford

2eb6fc1.jpg

Justin standing up for the crowd after perfecting Daigo with Fei Long. ILoveu Joe was ecstatic

qz16vr.jpg

Tense Grand Finals

8ycra9.jpg

Handshake after Daigo wins the tournament

29xdfmx.jpg

Rare smile from Daigo after winning

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Daigo smiling... so fucking hot.

Seiken said:
Daigo smiling... so fucking hot.

Cause he got that fight money. You figure they paid him to come (plus the plane ticket), paid for his food and he won two tournaments and got third in another. He has to be leaving with several Gs.

Kadey, the link from the chicken wing combo is the big bad combo. In fact Fei Long is a beast. If you guys want to kind of feel what it's like to have that pressure in your face, play FMF. His Fei Long is pretty good. In fact, he says he was the reason why Wong picked Long.

So who were in the money matches? I switched it off.

And I have to say, Daigo/Wong have provided two of the hypest matches this year.

Also, pad Viper Wolfkro was the standout of the show.

And NYC seems to be where the best players are right now in the U.S. Issei, Wong, Joe, Sanford, etc.

And Sanford and Joe definitely looked impressive in the tournament. I was calling Joe the weak link for the WC team last week, but during the singles tournament, he was a tank. I think he and Sanford should go to Japan with Arturo to level up.

You can tell Sanford puts his heart into it.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Seiken said:
Justin did that live? Any link?

Well, ummmm hours ago.

You should probably wait for the videos to pop on youtube or something. Or buy the DVD.

The person blocking Daigo wasn't Justin. Justin has more respect than that. Justin and Daigo are like eating buddies now. Harold and Kumar moment two days ago. :lol

Yeah, they said someone got into Diego's field of vision during a Wong Ultra.

And I never saw what happened in Third Strike or HDR tourney. I'm definitely going to get the DVD, since there really were some good matches. Too bad WC decided to sit this one out and Marn/Arturo were M.I.A.

I looked on SRK for the event results but didn't see them.

Also, since that ad mentioned 360. I wonder what the big deal was with some of the players complaining about using PS3?

I thought they dispelled the speed differences.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
wow, i got pummeled again 10-2 by rice_eater. Same scenario happened as before, we went back and forth for 4 matches then he wins 8 in a row. I was teching his throws a lot better. I think after this last set I finally understand how to tech throws. On his block strings I was timing throw button presses with each one of his attacks.

At one point during a round a spider or bug or something crawled on my foot and I sort of freaked out and I was thinking "cheat codes! cheat codes!" but I ended up still winning that round.

Whoever HKNishino is, I didn't mean to be a dick by exiting our match after that last round, but I already planned on doing some matches with Rice, so I would have left then had I won or lost.

Top Bottom