• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official UFC 75: CHAMPION V. CHAMPION Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

thirty

Banned
As to Rampage vs Henderson, who cares who wins, just gimme 5 championship rounds of exciting MMA. I too like both fighters and don't wanna see either lose. Giving us an incredible fight is the only way for both fighters to save face.

Unfortunately this will be the last fight from a PRIDE organization standpoint ever - once this PPV is over, PRIDE's titles will be defunct, and PRIDE will be history once and for all unfortunately:

The following is an except from an article on FOX Sports:

PRIDE isn't back

Even though he purchased PRIDE earlier this year, White insinuated the Japanese-based promotion is essentially history. White said the PRIDE brand was "tainted," referring to the alleged mob involvement of its previous ownership group that cost the promotion its television outlet in Japan.

"(The Japanese) don't want another (mixed martial arts) organization over there," White said. "That company was in trouble. We went in and bought it out with every intention of keeping PRIDE alive. (Japan) is a very tricky place to do business.

"The problem is PRIDE was never a big company in the United States and I'm not going to drop another $44 million to try and straighten it out. We kept running the Japanese offices over there and it didn't work out."

While such an investment seems frivolous on the surface, UFC's purchase of PRIDE allowed White to pick and choose which competitors he wanted to re-sign and essentially kept those fighters off the market from other promoters looking to gain a foothold in the MMA world. Two of PRIDE's biggest stars �" Dan Henderson and Quinton "Rampage" Jackson �" will headline UFC's next major show September 8 in London, England.

That being said, with the string of upsets, I'm going to take Dan Henderson in this one, just due to the major upsets going on as of late. Unfortunately its tape delayed, so I can't comment on the fights as they're going on in this thread, since I'm sure it will be spoiled.

I love free PPV's though, I hope UFC continues to do them, and possibly more often. It's a great way to draw new viewers. They should really try to do 3-4 of these a year, it would be great. They may suffer some revenue loss, but they'll gain a ton in promotion and new viewers.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
UFC_Couture said:
I love free PPV's though, I hope UFC continues to do them, and possibly more often. It's a great way to draw new viewers. They should really try to do 3-4 of these a year, it would be great. They may suffer some revenue loss, but they'll gain a ton in promotion and new viewers.

Dana has said he is committed to a few free PPVs a year forever. That is what he says anyway. I do tend to believe him as he knows free, well cable TV, is what blew up UFC and MMA this time around in the first place.

Big-E

dskillzhtown said:
Dana has said he is committed to a few free PPVs a year forever. That is what he says anyway. I do tend to believe him as he knows free, well cable TV, is what blew up UFC and MMA this time around in the first place.

I believe him and it makes the most sense, especially since Dana is committed to spreading the brand across different countries. It makes sense to have the international events free because of time change. If the event tomorrow was ppv how many of us would have watched it? If it were live it would have been shown in the morning where I live. Having it on prime time for free is the best possible option. I am just so happy that Dana isn't throwing crap cards for these free events.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
OokieSpookie said:
I have to call bullshit on this on a few accounts.
A) how in the fuck are they protecting Bisping?
This is the match that SHOULD have happened in TUF, and as such people have been wanting and waiting for this for some time. Hamill is not some jobber that they are throwing at him.

B) How would it be degrading when Hamill is a fan favorite and gets huge crowd support, as well as being built up during TUF by Tito and Dana and others as being a huge talent and capable of anything and one of the next up and coming stars?

The only people who would see it is degrading are inbred fucking hypocrites who will get all offended at someone throwing racial slurs and shit but think that it is funny to do the same thing to the deaf or handicapped.
And nobody gives a flying fuck about their opinions .

I can agree with pretty much all of that.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Ned Flanders said:
matt.jpg

*doesn't hear you*

see, thats funny :lol

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
dskillzhtown said:
This is a damned good hype special on Spike tonight.

yeah, did anyone else catch when dana mentioned fedor when talking about who the best heavy weight in the world was?

*fuel to the fire

dem

The crocop segments on that countdown were pretty good..

on his loss to gonzaga
"I'm tired of explanation. I just don't want to discuss about it. I lost the fight.. that it. As some people say, shit happens"

on that time of his life
"it was disgusting time for me... really disgusting" :lol

vpance

I can imagine how disgusting it was for him to lose like that. It was much worse than his Randleman loss.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
I hope Crocop isn't taking Kongo lightly. It doesn't sound like he is gameplanning specifically against Kongo like Gonzaga did to him. Kongo has a cocky inner confidence that is unsettling, and he knows how big a fight this is for him if he can pull a Napao.

MaX_PL

Banned
dskillzhtown said:

no doubt. if ultimate fighter didnt exist i would have never gotten into UFC.

dem

probably doesnt belong in THIS thread...
but Ryo Chonan is fighting in the UFC at welterweight. Unless he meant Pride welterweight.. which is ufc middleweight. He should be able to make 170...

Karo vs Chonan??

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Ned Flanders said:
Who the hell said anything about the WWE? If perception means nothing, then why is such great care being taken to protect guys like Bisping? If perception means nothing, then why was Babalu ran out of the UFC for being boo'd for perceivably poor sportsmanship, and why is Arlovski being blacklisted for mailing in his fight against Werdum?

The fact is, people would view a loss to a deaf Hamill as somehow more degrading to Bisping than a loss to a hearing Hamill. I'm not saying its right, but thats the way the world works, much in the same way a fighter could never live down a loss to an opponent with a severed limb or a missing eye. I would like to see it simply because it would be an especially abrupt way to end the scripted ascension to glory written for Bisping. The "mumbling retard" statement was just an exceptionally abrasive way of communicating that point. I never once bashed Hamill's ability, and I won't apologize for being abrasive.

BTW, many have already compared organizations protecting fighters (Pride handing cans to Wand/having non-title fights for champions, Dana protecting Huerta and Bisping etc) to the WWE already..

Words, words, more meaningless words. QUIT MAKING FUN OF A STAND UP GUY THAT HAPPENS TO BE DEAF. That's not needed AT ALL.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Timedog said:
Words, words, more meaningless words. QUIT MAKING FUN OF A STAND UP GUY THAT HAPPENS TO BE DEAF. That's not needed AT ALL.

I'll stop making fun of him when he stops stinking up UFC cards with his shitty fights.

dskillzhtown

People don't need to be making fun of a deaf guy because of his disability. That is wrong and bullshit.

dem

i actually hear Hamill is kind of a dick.
Before TUF people were posting that he was like.. a racist homophobe asshole.. :lol

NME

dem said:
probably doesnt belong in THIS thread...
but Ryo Chonan is fighting in the UFC at welterweight. Unless he meant Pride welterweight.. which is ufc middleweight. He should be able to make 170...

Karo vs Chonan??

Chonan is fighting at 170lbs.

Karo is fighting either Hayato Sakurai or Hector Lombard at UFC 78 at this point. If both of those options fall through, Chonan v. Parisyan would definitely be a lot of fun.

And for added fun, Dana was asked on the UFC 75 conference call if Chonan had signed, and Dana denied it completely. But Dr. Ryan Parsons who is the conditioning coach at team quest (where Chonan trains) confirmed Chonan going to UFC. Why the denial from Dana then? I don't know, but my guess would be that while the deal was agreed to in principle, perhaps Chonan had not signed at the time of the conference call.

dem said:
i actually hear Hamill is kind of a dick.
Before TUF people were posting that he was like.. a racist homophobe asshole.. :lol
That is fine, hate him for that and hope Bisping clubs him like a seal but the deaf shit that was put out in this thread is crap.

dem

startin to get excited now! :D

Wild Boys.. Wild boys.. Wild Boys!

WILD BOYS!

Though maybe he'll go back to the PRIDE theme after that last fight :lol

dem

It will be on tape delay because its in London... otherwise it would be on in the afternoon.

which means stay off of sherdog tomorrow afternoon.

dem said:
It will be on tape delay because its in London... otherwise it would be on in the afternoon.

Thx.

I'm surprised they are doing the Rampage Henderson fight so quickly. Seems like something they could have milked out better but a great match never the less.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
yeah i'm staying off Sherdog and even wrestling websites since they seem to be picking up on UFC stuff lately. And for gods sake, nobody post early spoilers in this thread!

Timedog said:
yeah i'm staying off Sherdog and even wrestling websites since they seem to be picking up on UFC stuff lately. And for gods sake, nobody post early spoilers in this thread!

You really should not come close to this thread until the PPV is over.

Maybe it won't be spoiled directly but when someone posts something like this:

OMGGGGG I can't believe it!
WON!!

That pretty much gives away a major upset happened, and first thought would be Henderson. I like dead silence on tape delayed stuff, any comment is just annoying, so your best bet is just to stay away.

dskillzhtown

Stoney Mason said:
Thx.

I'm surprised they are doing the Rampage Henderson fight so quickly. Seems like something they could have milked out better but a great match never the less.

I agree, Dana doesn't seem to grasp the concept of building towards a match or building anticipation.

radiuhm

dskillzhtown said:
I agree, Dana doesn't seem to grasp the concept of building towards a match or building anticipation.

Ortiz vs Shamrock 2 says "Hi"

Dana can promote a fight with a lot of hype, I just think the big problem with this one is, not many US casual fans know Hendo, or Cro Cop, the undercard is pretty weak too compared to past PPVs. Man I can't wait to see my all time fave Cro Cop win his fight.

radiuhm said:
Ortiz vs Shamrock 2 says "Hi"

Dana can promote a fight with a lot of hype, I just think the big problem with this one is, not many US casual fans know Hendo, or Cro Cop, the undercard is pretty weak too compared to past PPVs. Man I can't wait to see my all time fave Cro Cop win his fight.

I think the answer then is that you build him up and promote him. After this fight for the casual fan either Rampage or Henderson will seem like a lot of hype. (unless it's a great fight)

Asbel

dem said:

With how excited you are, I'll have to stay off this thread too. :D
dskillzhtown said:
My guess is that they want to promote the LHW division and not just two fighters here. At the 75.ufc.com site, there's a list of all the notable LHWs under ufc contract. There is no way to be sure which LHW will come out on top in this stacked division. By promoting the division and letting the fighters fight it out, they are building towards an undisputed #1 fighter in the LHW division.

h_a_t

Same here.

As good as Mirko is, he often doesn't use his full arsenal and seems to rely on the high-kick.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Stoney Mason said:
I think the answer then is that you build him up and promote him. After this fight for the casual fan either Rampage or Henderson will seem like a lot of hype. (unless it's a great fight)

but he's the pride CHAMPION. You can't have the champ going against nobodies to build him up for a championship fight.

Bishman

It seems like there is a lack of hype for Rampage vs Henderson fight. It is going to be a war. Henderson has never been knocked out. And Rampage has never technically never been knocked out (hell... it took like 50+ knees to the chin to finally take Rampage down.)

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
i.cfc

i.cfc

i.cfc

i.cfc

i.cfc

Cro Cop coming in light at 220 (as usual), and Henderson actually made it over 200 this time (204)

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
i just got done watching the rerun of UFC70 where crocop got KTFO. what a brutal kick. ugh.

pretty crazy.

ive got the show tomorrow night tivo'd so nobody better ruin it for me between when i leave work and whne i get home to watch it. if they do i'll be pissed. :lol

Asbel

Bishman said:
It seems like there is a lack of hype for Rampage vs Henderson fight. It is going to be a war. Henderson has never been knocked out. And Rampage has never technically never been knocked out (hell... it took like 50+ knees to the chin to finally take Rampage down.)
I picked this fight to go to a decision but it really wouldn't suprised me to see a knock out. I don't think Chuck was knocked out before his last match either.
Cro Cop coming in light at 220 (as usual), and Henderson actually made it over 200 this time (204)
Gotta respect them for stepping up and fighting bigger guys. People seem to forget Chuck, Wand, Shogun, Tito, etc. all walk around at about ~225 lbs.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
UFC_Couture said:
Unfortunately this will be the last fight from a PRIDE organization standpoint ever - once this PPV is over, PRIDE's titles will be defunct, and PRIDE will be history once and for all unfortunately:

This sucks ass.
I always like Pride, the ring, entrances, brighter lighting, respectful crowds etc..

SyNapSe

Quinton vs Hendo - As great as Dan's career has been, it's just hard to envision him winning this match. Quinton's about as tough a guy to take down as their is around. He's a bit more technical in his striking than Dan, and he will have the natural strength advantage.

CC vs Cheik - This match has an aura of PURE AWESOME around it. This is also extremely tough to call. I'm picking CC due to past history, and it's hard to pick Mirko to lose back2back fights. I always feel like Mirko is a bit predictable as a striker especially when things aren't going his way. He almost looks exclusively for the left straight, or LK body/head, so this could be very interesting.

Bisping vs Hamill - This match is extremely tough to call. Neither fighter really has a ton of experience, but Bisping does have more and is more well rounded. Still, Hamill is strong and training with Team Punishment. If he can get enough take downs, he maybe able to LnP this fight out. I'm guessing Judge's, split decision

Marcus Davis vs Paul Taylor - ..haven't seen a whole lot of Taylor, but I've been impressed with Davis of late. He also sports a unique nickname, so bonus points there.

UFC Fight Night 11 is looking pretty nice too

Bishman

Alright guys... you won't be seeing me until midnight tonight. I don't want to spoil myself. Staying away from the internet. Man I will have a lot of free time! I can use it to study or read some books.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom