• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Virtua Fighter 5R Thread of TAKA ARASHIIII!!!

Tain

woot let that rumour come true>.> evo all over again

I'd love a home port of this.

I hope that, when this is released on consoles, nothing gets gimped in the process. I'm not necessarily talking about gameplay, but features.

I would gladly buy this game a third time.

I should have an easy transition if the game comes to American PS3s (pleasepleaseplease)

:O Would buy for budget price cause I already have vf5 on 360.

hopefully they release this as DLC for 360, or just put out another disc. I kid you not I'd drop another 60 like that.

sega should do both dlc and in store so that those 20 people that bought vf5 dont have to rebuy the game.

would reallllly like to play this at some point, any chance of console versions coming stateside?

Day one... if it's out on consoles.

Make this a buyable patch on the XBL marketplace.

I think the PS3 deserves a version of this game. PS3 has the inferior VF5 version, plus VF5 PS3 version has sold more units.

With the upgrades that VF5R has, I don't think that it's possible to become a DLC for 360....

360 port please, I will pay top dollar.

sega, please

i want to buy this for my home

Maybe this thread could use more speculative port talk, i dunno

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
Second post updated with my impressions of (mainly) Lion and Taka Arashiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Jirotrom said:
hopefully they release this as DLC for 360, or just put out another disc. I kid you not I'd drop another 60 like that.
Me, too. Hopefully, Sega has something up their sleeve here...

Oichi

I added this to the OP but this is some useful info... types of stages in the game

List of stages and stage types
Open (16x16) - Shun's River, Taka's Sumo Ring
Low Fence (16x16) - Aoi's Shrine, Kage's Temple
Half Fence (12x12) - Brad's Terrace, Akira's Statues
Half Fence Breakable (12x12) - Sarah's Park, Jeffry's Island
Full Fence (10x10) - Eileen's Ruins, Jacky's City
Full Fence Breakable (12x12) - Pai's Stone Forest, Goh's Broken House
Full and Open (16x16) - Wolf's Snowstorm, Jean's Training Room
Octagon (10x10) - Vanessa's Waterfall, Blaze's Arena
Rectangle (16x6) - Lion's Palace, Lei's Deep Mountain
Single Wall (16x16) - Lau's Great Wall

Oichi

Yes, those are the stages that are two walls/two open.

new VF5R cards, HOORAY. Finally, after being stuck with the same shitty designs for the past two years. All this while, Tekken players get cool ass card designs. :(

2699072268_01a828a53e.jpg

2699072472_b234b7af09.jpg

Oichi

You can see VF5 at the top and a Tekken 5DR card of Asuka here...
ic_cards.jpg

granted the first Tekken 5 and Tekken 6 cards had the same 3D character art, but as the game got older Namco had the smarts to hire guest artists (like the one who did this Asuka one)

GrayFoxPL

Reno said:
You can see VF5 at the top and a Tekken 5DR card of Asuka here...
ic_cards.jpg

granted the first Tekken 5 and Tekken 6 cards had the same 3D character art, but as the game got older Namco had the smarts to hire guest artists (like the one who did this Asuka one)

I can see almost half of Asuka's ass! :lol Yes, that's one great artist. Reminds me of one KOF artist.

Now I must see all Tekken 5 cards or know who the guy is. Please!

AAK

GrayFoxPL said:
Now I must see all Tekken 5 cards or know who the guy is. Please!

Ask and ye shall receive (the ones I have at least)

lili-hwoa-bry.jpg
rogerjr02.jpg

devil_b.jpg
back_b.jpg

hwoarang_bbb.jpg
julia_b.jpg

asuka_b.jpg
Jin_s.jpg

kazuya_s.gif
lei_b.jpg

lili_b.jpg
mardukk.jpg

steve_b.jpg
williams_b.jpg

lili2_b.jpg
xiaoyu.jpg

kaz.jpg
bryan_b.jpg

deviljin.jpg

deviljin2.jpg

Reno, if you don't want these in the thread let me know, I'll just PM it to whoever asks if you think it derails the thread.

Jirotrom

Tain said:
Maybe this thread could use more speculative port talk, i dunno
since when was it wrong for us to want a game? The people in here posting are fans of fighters and understand how it can be unlikely for a fighting game to come over seas.

Jirotrom

Reno said:
Yes, a ton of animations were redone, not only moves but hit and stun animations too. It's quite amazing the amount of new stuff there is... then again, am2 had two years to do all of this, haha.

Edit: Jirotrom, check out the Nakagawa video in the OP, it has some of his new stuff, including his TOTALLY badass new throw.
I did... I really really want this game:(

Caj814

Hey Reno.You have any idea on the deal with older VF music popping up in VF5R replays?Are you able to choose which song plays before a match by holding down buttons or are they only available through video replays?

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
I like in that taka video during the win part the audience starts taking photos. That was a nice touch.

Oichi

Yea for Taka you need to be close up... some of his moves do less damage at mid-range than if you were point blank, so you need to be literally point blank to get maximum damage.

Oichi

Caj814 said:
Hey Reno.You have any idea on the deal with older VF music popping up in VF5R replays?Are you able to choose which song plays before a match by holding down buttons or are they only available through video replays?

I gots no idea, sorry... I tried looking on some VF community sites but no one is talking about it.

It's kind of lonely being the only person on gaf playing this game lol.

More vids!
My Goh vs. Lei-Fei: http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=57tewy8aD1A -- I hate going to this arcade because it's so smokey and smelly, but my friends wanted to play SFIV so I decided to join them, and played some 5R while I waited for my turn to play.

My Taka vs. Aoi :http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=YYF3Sysh7mo -- This player is Anaguma, one of the very best players in the entire country. He's consistently been near the top of the VF world since VF3 iirc, and him and his team (which included national champ Fuumin) won the last Beat Tribe tournament in Tokyo. Anaguma, Fuumin and their other three teammates are guys who play regularly at my arcade. And yes, I get beat down very, very often whenever I play them lol.

Oichi

Bump!

Just like in VF4 Evo and FT, you can now select old Virtua Fighter tracks in VF5R. The champion has to hold down Guard plus any direction on the joystick when the Versus screen pops up.

My match against Lau with Aoi's regular stage music: http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=h_OmsUfjiqw&fmt=18 - Also has some LOL antics in round 1 that you gotta see. So jokes!

My match against Shun with Aoi's VF3 music: http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=cWIgpEMes7Y&fmt=18

It's very eerie how well the VF3 music actually fits with the new 5R stage. Shun's stage and music tracks also give off the same impression.

There's also a few new techniques that are discussed in this month's arcadia that has to do with throw escapes being easier (with consequences, don't get your panties in a bunch) but I'll have to post that later since I don't have the issue with me right now.

Does anyone know of a good Sarah Guide? I used to be awesome with her back in the VF2 days but I dunno if i have lost my shit or she has become outclassed, but I want to get better with her. Looked online and there seem to be great guides for everyone but her. Kinda sad really. So I turn to GAF for assistance. I know you guys won't let me down.

Oichi

KdoubleA said:
Thought I'd bump this thread after I just saw this kick ass Jacky vs Jean match:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwzAjuQNEHQ

Incredible round 1 finish.

Btw, does anyone know what Jean's move at 2:01 does? Is it a Hi/ Mid deflection?

Yes, it's a punch deflection, much like Wolf, Lion and other characters have, but it's not an automatic attack so that's why nothing happened afterwards.

Does anyone know of a good Sarah Guide? I used to be awesome with her back in the VF2 days but I dunno if i have lost my shit or she has become outclassed, but I want to get better with her. Looked online and there seem to be great guides for everyone but her. Kinda sad really. So I turn to GAF for assistance. I know you guys won't let me down.

Look around virtuafighter.com's Sarah forums, and also 1up.com's VF5 superguide, since Srider did that and it's especially good IMO.

Sega didn't say anything about 5R at TGS, which is disappointing, but the 15th anniversary of the series is in November, so people are hoping that Sega is smart enough to announce a console version then. If not, the game is as good as dead outside of Japan...

but enough doom and gloom! Here are some of my matches! :D I'm the Taka player, cuz Taka freakin ruuuuules.

Taka (me) vs. Aoi
http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=nA9-BUNJwno

Jeffry vs. Taka (me)
http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=g-Vn0HIt0S0

Lau vs. Taka (me)
http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=nWxHF9bkkWs

Taka vs. Taka (me)
http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=pxz-QYxosQ0

My Taka-Arashi combo videooooooo
http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=J1ERWz8cc_0

Oichi

Tain said:
I love the throw animations against Taka. And I like the changes I see to Aoi. :eek:

The Kage ones are the best because he can barely lift the dude, same with Eileen lol.

Aoi is definitely much more powerful in this game though... there were some talks among Japanese players that she might even be top tier in 5R because of her mixups and improved damage. I really wanna try her out but she's a really complicated character and I already use three characters myself...

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Reno said:
The Kage ones are the best because he can barely lift the dude, same with Eileen lol.

Aoi is definitely much more powerful in this game though... there were some talks among Japanese players that she might even be top tier in 5R because of her mixups and improved damage. I really wanna try her out but she's a really complicated character and I already use three characters myself...

What makes her so much better in VF5r? Actually what made her so bad in VF5? :lol She was pretty weak compared to other characters right?

Oichi

haunts said:
What makes her so much better in VF5r? Actually what made her so bad in VF5? :lol She was pretty weak compared to other characters right?

She's got a ton of mixups now that you have to deal with. Off of her cancelled sweep she's got follow up P and K mixups, along with throw and her sabakis to deal with high and low punches...

If she does sweep -> Cancel -> K and you eat a counter hit it's a crumple stun leading into a combo. Plus she can actually do bounce combos now, which ups her damage potential. Having said that, just about every female character has been beefed up in the mixup department, so it's a total pain in the butt for Taka to deal with at times lol.

Reno said:

There is some justice.

I really wish Sega would give a console version another go, since it's the only way I'll ever get to play it. It really seemed like they were getting somewhere with VF4, then it just fizzled out.

Oichi

Arcadia magazine released their character rankings for 5R in their December issue... here it is!

S: Lion, Eileen, Jeffry
A: Aoi, Goh, Shun
B: Sarah, Akira, Lau, Blaze, Lei-Fei, Jacky
C: Vanessa, Brad, Jean
D: Wolf, Kage, Pai, Taka Arashi (Reno am cry)

for comparison, this was the final character ranking list for VF5 Version C. Version D only had some fixes but no character changes, so version C is the latest tier list for the vanilla version of VF5.

S+: Lei Fei, Kage, Vanessa, Eileen
A: Lau, Shun, Pai, Wolf, Brad, Akira
B: Goh, Aoi, Jeff, Jacky, Blaze
C: Lion, Sarah

It seems that the only character that stayed in the top tier is Eileen, which is probably because she's quite popular among the uh... sketchy crowd. Kage and Pai dropping from god tier to bottom tier is just total lawl for me, ha ha ha. Join me and Taka in D tier, bitches!

Top Bottom