• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Welcoming of the Visitors Thread - V on ABC, every Tuesday

Status
Not open for further replies.
v-logo.jpg

Returns: Tuesday, March 30th @ 10pm
Where: ABC

Today, the world woke up to find spaceships over every major city. The Visitors claim to have come in peace, bringing gifts of medical miracles and technological breakthroughs. They promise to do no harm.

Based on the original 1984 mini-series V and V - The Final Battle, this takes the core concept of the original but takes it's own unique spin. It is not a remake but a reimagining of the original. The original still is worth watching today by renting from Netflix or by purchasing at Amazon for $10 and $15 respectively. Unfortunately, there's no place that I've found to stream it online.

You can however watch the first 9 minutes of the pilot episode here:

http://abc.go.com/shows/v

The pilot was screened at the 2009 San Diego Comic-Con and came away with highly favorable reviews including myself who was a fan of the original.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Where to Watch Online

iTunes (Download only and not streaming, first episode free)
Amazon (Streaming only, first episode free)
Hulu (Available Saturday, 11/7/09)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Starring:

93621.jpg

Morena Baccarin (Firefly, Stargate SG-1)

93571.jpg

Elizabeth Mitchell (Lost)

93631.jpg

Scott Wolf (Party of Five)

118871.jpg

Laura Vandervoort (Smallville)

Episodes

1x01 - Pilot (11/03/09)

An image of Anna, the leader of the V's, is projected worldwide as she talks about people joining together; the V's are Tyler's ticket to being a part of something big; egotistical newscaster Chad gets an exclusive interview with Anna.

1x02 - There Is No Normal Anymore (11/10/09)

Erica and Father Jack discover they are being tracked by a Seeker from the V's; Chad tries to be more investigative.

1x03 - A Bright New Day (11/17/09)

Erica starts tracking a death threat; Ryan turns to old friends in an effort to build up opposition forces.

1x04 - It's Only the Beginning (11/24/09)

Anna meets with a special guest aboard the mother ship; Chad finds himself conflicted by some of his discoveries at the V Healing Centers.

1x05 - Welcome to the War (3/30/10)

???

Ratings

11/3/09
They came, they saw, they conquered primetime.

ABC's "V" premiere was Tuesday's highest-rated program in the adult demo, cracking usual leader CBS' drama-series choke-hold on the evening.

"V" was seen by 13.9 million viewers and had a 5.0 preliminary rating among adults 18-49.

That's the biggest scripted series premiere rating for a freshman show this fall.

"V" bested tough competition from "NCIS" (19.4 million, 4.2), which nonetheless ranked as the evening's most-watched show. The alien invasion drama gained 4% from its first half hour to its second.

The 8 p.m. "V" surge put ABC just a tenth of a point behind CBS for the nightly win. Compared to "Shark Tank" in the time period, "V" was up 213%.

11/10/09

The second episode was seen by 10.6 million viewers and drew a 3.7 preliminary rating among adults 18-49, down 29% from last week.

This is still a hit rating for a freshman drama. If "V" can remain anywhere near this neighborhood, the show will be fine.

The drop put "V" into second place at 8 p.m., with CBS' "NCIS" (20.2 million, 4.2) resuming control of the time period. The swing is similar to when ABC debuted "FlashForward" against CBS' time-period champion "Survivor" at 8 p.m. on Thursdays, momentarily upsetting the balance, before "Survivor" popped up again ("NCIS" and "Survivor" -- they weeble and they wobble but they don't fall down).

3/30/10

More bad news for the ailing sci-fi genre: The heavily hyped return of V only averaged 7.2 million viewers last night and was bested by a rerun of CBS’ The Good Wife (8.07 million), according to fast national ratings provided by ABC. The return of the serialized drama about an alien species did win its timeslot among the all-important adults 18-49 (2.9 rating/8 share) but that number is sure to drop when Julianna Margulies and Co. comes back with original Good Wife episodes next week. That was V’s lowest 18-49 rating for this season and it only retained 73 percent of its Lost lead-in, though the episode is likely to pick up a million or more viewers when the numbers come in for DVR playback.

If you'd like to help welcome the Visitors, you can join the Visitors' Peace Ambassador Program at:

http://www.VisitorAmbassadors.com

Welcome to the Dawn of a New Day.

Costanza said:
I'll be watching. Hopefully it's better than FlashForward.

I thought the pilot was pretty solid but I also kinda had low expectations. It's a little slow in the beginning (so hopefully the first 9 minutes doesn't turn anyone off) but starts to pick up pretty quickly with a pretty good ending. It got me hyped to see more of the show at least. Hopefully ABC doesn't screw it up with their stupid planning of airing a few eps and then giving it a break.

I've got my fingers crossed but then again Flash Forward had a pretty solid pilot too and we've seen how that lead to a cheerful comical musical shootout.

Decado

I hope this turns out well. 8pm timeslot is a little odd, though hopefully they aren't going for PG rating every episode.

Flashforward has been OK, though I don't really think of it as sci-fi.

Sean

Banned
I was looking forward to this show but I'm almost sure it will be cancelled early on now. ABC's decision to show four episodes in November and then take it off air until March sounds a terrible idea - what a surefire way to kill any possible momentum the show may have had.

And the fact that production was halted due to quality issues with the scripts doesn't sound all that good either.

Sean said:
I was looking forward to this show but I'm almost sure it will be cancelled early on now. ABC's decision to show four episodes in November and then take it off air until March sounds a terrible idea - what a surefire way to kill any possible momentum the show may have had.

And the fact that production was halted due to quality issues with the scripts doesn't sound all that good either.

Ya, I hear about this and it worries me a lot. The 8pm thing is surprising too cuz from the tone of the pilot, it didn't feel like an 8pm show at all. It's amazing they wanted to push it up so quick and now they're questioning the quality of it.

That said, I really hope they have a good plan for where they want to take the series because I really liked something that they set up in the pilot that's different than the original series. I won't spoil it, but it to make really stressed that the show was not a remake and going to take it's own path.

Seth C said:
Wait, only 4 episodes then nothing till March? What's the point in bothering to watch it now then?

V was getting all this rave hype from Comic-Con from the pilot episode, which was pretty well deserved, so ABC thought it would be a good idea to push the release up to November. It wasn't supposed to originally air till next year as a mid season replacement. Not sure why ABC pushed it up only to show four eps though cuz that part makes no sense. I was excited it was getting moved up but not at that expense

Seth C

DeathNote said:
If 4 eps can hook us... by all means I guess....

Yes but if the ratings suck because a portion of people think "I'll just skip it and catch up before March" then that won't help them any.

Seth C said:
Yes but if the ratings suck because a portion of people think "I'll just skip it and catch up before March" then that won't help them any.

I would assume most people won't realize that there is a huge break until the 4th episode airs. Most people don't keep up on TV news at that level of detail.

On a different note, anyone else a fan of the original series?

mosaic

go eat paint
Marty Chinn said:
On a different note, anyone else a fan of the original series?
The visitors are not our friends. They are not who they appear to be! They've come to rape our planet and kill us! *peeeeel* (oohs and ahhs from a bunch of rich people)

Solo

This show is gonna rock. Too bad ABC seems to be trying to kill it. If this gets cancelled after 4 episodes, in a world in which a show as fucking terrible as Flashforward gets a full season pickup, there will be blood.

mjc

Moving four of the episodes up to November does make it seem like ABC has faith in the show somewhat, but yeah the news about script revision does sound sketchy.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
I love GAF because you guys justify pretty much every hope and worry I have about shows.

I'm talking to people and I say how bad FlashForward is. They're like "Mehhh I like it." I feel like maybe I'm wrong, only to come on GAF and see that my thoughts aren't alone. I wish more people would realize that the most recent episode involved the FBI Los Angeles boss being revealed that he's actually a washington insider, brought before a senate hearing, blackmails the president to screw the senator, and then, and then said FBI boss throwing the most poorly-acted tantrum I've seen in a long time. And then those people would see that and go, "Wow, this really isn't very good."

All the while wondering, "Hm, if that guy just took the Homeland job, he could control all the funding they need for the project."

anyways, I hope V is awesome. I really want to have a good new show this year and so far everything is striking out left and right. I gave Glee a shot, gave FastForward a shot... just constantly swinging and missing.

Crap, I had no idea that it was only going to be a few episodes and then a big break. That'll pretty much kill any popular interest in the show, IMO. Assuming the show is going to be good (and here's hoping), it'll probably only end up with a small cult following. Dammit, does any TV exec in charge of programming have a brain in their head?

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
This will be on Hulu. At least the first episode:

HULU said:
The premiere episode will be posted Nov. 4, the day after broadcast.

Man... wish the firefly chick didn't cut her hair. :/

V for Vendetta? smh

squidhands said:
Crap, I had no idea that it was only going to be a few episodes and then a big break. That'll pretty much kill any popular interest in the show, IMO. Assuming the show is going to be good (and here's hoping), it'll probably only end up with a small cult following. Dammit, does any TV exec in charge of programming have a brain in their head?

yeah the "Every Tuesday" in the title will backfire when we run out of episodes
cult following is enough for me as long as they finish the story... it the plot different in this or is this a remake?

Smiles and Cries said:
V for Vendetta? smh

yeah the "Every Tuesday" in the title will backfire when we run out of episodes
cult following is enough for me as long as they finish the story... it the plot different in this or is this a remake?

The plot is definitely different. The core pieces are the same, but right from the first ep, they change some things right away. I'm not talking about just modernizing it but actual key differences. Of course it has a lot of similarities too.

Anyone interested in watching the original mini-series and the Final Battle, Syfy will be airing the entire thing on Sunday November 1st.

Here's the schedule:

V

12:30pm on 11/1 (or 9:30am PST if you get east coast feeds like on DirecTV)
11:00pm on 11/1 (or 8:00pm PST if you get east coast feeds like on DirecTV)
4:00pm on 11/3 (or 1:00pm PST if you get east coast feeds like on DirecTV)

V: The Final Battle

5:00pm on 11/1 (or 2:00pm PST if you get east coast feeds like on DirecTV)
7:00pm on 11/1 (or 4:00pm PST if you get east coast feeds like on DirecTV)
9:00pm on 11/1 (or 6:00am PST if you get east coast feeds like on DirecTV)

Hmm, the times don't make sense past the first showing of each. It might change I guess but be on the look out this coming Sunday if you want to watch the oiginal before the new series airs.

Costanza

Banned
Marty Chinn said:
Anyone interested in watching the original mini-series and the Final Battle, Syfy will be airing the entire thing on Sunday November 1st.

Here's the schedule:

V

12:30pm on 11/1 (or 9:30am PST if you get east coast feeds like on DirecTV)
11:00pm on 11/1 (or 8:00pm PST if you get east coast feeds like on DirecTV)
4:00pm on 11/3 (or 1:00pm PST if you get east coast feeds like on DirecTV)

V: The Final Battle

5:00pm on 11/1 (or 2:00pm PST if you get east coast feeds like on DirecTV)
7:00pm on 11/1 (or 4:00pm PST if you get east coast feeds like on DirecTV)
9:00pm on 11/1 (or 6:00am PST if you get east coast feeds like on DirecTV)

Hmm, the times don't make sense past the first showing of each. It might change I guess but be on the look out this coming Sunday if you want to watch the oiginal before the new series airs.
Is the 1984 series worth watching too? I noticed Syfy is showing a bunch of episodes of that on Monday too.

Costanza said:
Is the 1984 series worth watching too? I noticed Syfy is showing a bunch of episodes of that on Monday too.

Skip the TV series. It's nowhere near as good as the mini series and the Final Battle. I admit I do own it though =)

Costanza said:

Watch the mini-series and then Final Battle. Then ignore the last five minutes of Final Battle, because it all falls apart then. The original and all but the last few minutes of Final Battle are fantastic though. And who doesnt love Michael Ironside as a hard ass?

Avoid the series like the plague though.

DarkJC

Looking forward to this but just hearing now that there's only 4 episodes in november kinda blows. Oh well, if it's good I'll stick with it. If it can't hook me after 4 it's probably done anyway, considering FF picked up a whole season =/

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Okay guys, it's time to pick one damn thread and stick to it.

My biggest problem going into this is that every character looks like they're a department store model. Especially that Smallville chick. Is she supposed to be playing a real person or a lower tier model? All of these characters clearly spend way too much time shopping and getting dressed in the midst of an alien invasion.

Just a friendly reminder that the original series will be on SyFy tomorrow so set your DVRs accordingly.

I'm not sure what bright mind at SyFy did this, but they air V, then the Final Battle three times and then V again. So those without DVRs, it's best to catch the morning V and then the Final Battle afterward.

Clevinger

Dan said:
Okay guys, it's time to pick one damn thread and stick to it.

My biggest problem going into this is that every character looks like they're a department store model. Especially that Smallville chick. Is she supposed to be playing a real person or a lower tier model? All of these characters clearly spend way too much time shopping and getting dressed in the midst of an alien invasion.

She's an alien, I think, who is supposed to be deceptively beautiful like the other short-haired alien girl. Also, the MJF lookalike is a news anchor/reporter who interviews the aliens on TV, so it makes sense he's in a nice suit.

joeyjoejoeshabadoo said:
I watched it and, boy howdy, those effects didn't hold up well at all.
Neither did the story/acting. Kind of painful, actually. Here's hoping tonight will start off a good series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom