• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Welcoming of the Visitors Thread - V on ABC, every Tuesday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Definitely will DVR the premiere. Not sure when I'll get around to watching it considering how big my backlog is at the moment.

For the love of god, DO NOT READ THE WIKIPEDIA PAGE FOR THIS SERIES. It spoils what I assume to be the key plot twist of the pilot.

I remain cautiously optimistic about this show, it's been getting good reviews despite all the internal turmoil. I'll definitely check out the pilot tonight. Of course nothing can top the original series, particularly The Final Battle and Michael Ironside's hardcore group of resistance fighters. Love that red dust! That final episode where Ironside pours a whole bag of it onto the alien leader's face... just awesome.

Father_Brain said:
For the love of god, DO NOT READ THE WIKIPEDIA PAGE FOR THIS SERIES. It spoils what I assume to be the key plot twist of the pilot.

I've seen the pilot but I'm not sure if I should read this or not cuz maybe it talks about something beyond the pilot. I've been very careful to not spoil anythiing including stuff that would be known if you have seen the original series. I think I know what they probably spoiled since the pilot was aired publically already, and ya, it's a key difference between the original and new series IMO. That said, I'll avoid the wiki for now regardless =)

distantmantra said:
Will the remake have any of the Nazi-undertones from the original (ie. Hitler Youth)?

They do have a youth program, but I believe the tone will be more like religious cult following rather than feel more like the Nazi theme of the original series. The link at the bottom of the OP takes you to some of their viral marketing for that theme and the last line of the post is from the brochure I picked up at comic con.

Yaweee

Cornballer said:
He's still around, but I'm not sure in what capacity.

Interesting. I haven't seen much of The Shield, but Scott Rosnebaum wrote some of the more acclaimed episodes of Chuck (Santa Claus, First Kill), and was an executive producer for both shows - having been promoted repeatedly throughout The Shield's run, unless I'm misunderstanding the hierarchy of production titles..

Yaweee said:
Interesting. I haven't seen much of The Shield, but Scott Rosnebaum wrote some of the more acclaimed episodes of Chuck (Santa Claus, First Kill), and was an executive producer for both shows.

The Shield is amazing. Probably more so than Chuck and I love Chuck.

Marty Chinn said:
They do have a youth program, but I believe the tone will be more like religious cult following rather than feel more like the Nazi theme of the original series. The link at the bottom of the OP takes you to some of their viral marketing for that theme and the last line of the post is from the brochure I picked up at comic con.

That's too bad. I loved the Holocaust/Nazi propaganda feel of the original.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Will try it tonight. It may come down to this or FlashForward for me after LOST finishes airing.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
I dunno if I can buy Juliet as a hard-ass FBI agent and her son doesn't seem to have much charisma going on either...but everything else is looking good. Hopefully it's no Flashforward.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
SpeedingUptoStop said:
I dunno if I can buy Juliet as a hard-ass FBI agent and her son doesn't seem to have much charisma going on either...but everything else is looking good. Hopefully it's no Flashforward.
Yeah, her dry wit was her charm on Lost. Then again, she was adorable in the Ice Queen role in the second Santa Clause movie. :lol

Blader

Marty Chinn said:
The Shield is amazing. Probably more so than Chuck and I love Chuck.

Not probably. It is better. Considerably.

(Though they're different genres, so not exactly a fair comparison.)

Solo said:
Please god let this be the first good new show of 2009 for me!

gdt5016 said:
Trauma is pretty solid :/.

Community says hello.

Solo

SpeedingUptoStop said:
I dunno if I can buy Juliet as a hard-ass FBI agent

Why not? Juliet IS a hard ass! Arent you rewatching S3 right now? She is ice cold in that one especially.

gdt

Juliet is a total hardass (well, at least pre-The Incident).

"Now that blonde one, she would'a shot ya no problem."

gdt

beelzebozo said:
hey wait wait wait, juliet's not off LOST is she?

I think thats been leaked, but I haven't read those articles.

I do think she is appearing in S6 though, IIRC.

ghostmind

93571.jpg

This is the only reason I need to watch...

Blader5489 said:
Not probably. It is better. Considerably.

(Though they're different genres, so not exactly a fair comparison.)

Ya, it was the different genre that had me hesitating on saying definitely. If there are any influences, I kinda hope it's from the Shield for this show cuz it would just make it awesome.

distantmantra said:
That's too bad. I loved the Holocaust/Nazi propaganda feel of the original.

I think you'll still get a lot of that propaganda feel cuz realistically the cult following of the Nazis and the cult following of a cult religion aren't that far off from each other. You'll get a glimpse in the first ep how they're drawing them in and the fact that they were giving out brochures at comic con definitely gives a propaganda vibe. I don't think it'll end up being too different in the end.

lachesis

Gold Member
V.... I was actually surprised how good the series really was considereing it was way back in 80s. Spectacular (well for that time) CG effects plentiful and generally good acting and good writing... I thought my childhood memory was playing tricks, but it was even better. When I was young'un, I thought it was only because of the whole alien vs human thing with peeling skin, but nope... it is pretty good. I'll definitely netflix the series in near future.

Just hope the new series would hold up the good things going without stalling too much. It's kinda hard to do a remake, as things are never as fresh as the originals... (ie. Bionic Woman, Knight Rider etc)

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
oh is this today for america? Really interested!

SpeedingUptoStop

Solo said:
Why not? Juliet IS a hard ass! Arent you rewatching S3 right now? She is ice cold in that one especially.
She's "hardass" on Lost in a motherly way, just passive aggressively deconstructing you. This is a much less subtle hardass, from what I've seen in the previews. More active, forward. It's hardto explain, but it just feels very off to me. hopefully it's better in context.
beelzebozo said:
hey wait wait wait, juliet's not off LOST is she?
I, unfortunately, know the answer to this.

I haven't been watching Modern Family. Should I catch up on Hulu or something?

And yea, i remember something along the lines of the producers saying that, instead of Nazi propaganda, the Vs would be emphasizing right-wing scare tactics and such. Listening to my parents watch Glenn Beck in the other room right now, I will greatly enjoy this degradation.:D

Wickerman

lachesis said:
V.... I was actually surprised how good the series really was considereing it was way back in 80s. Spectacular (well for that time) CG effects plentiful and generally good acting and good writing... I thought my childhood memory was playing tricks, but it was even better. When I was young'un, I thought it was only because of the whole alien vs human thing with peeling skin, but nope... it is pretty good. I'll definitely netflix the series in near future.

Just hope the new series would hold up the good things going without stalling too much. It's kinda hard to do a remake, as things are never as fresh as the originals... (ie. Bionic Woman, Knight Rider etc)

Yeah, I've been watching the original on SyFy over the past couple of days and I must say that it's better than I thought it was going to be.

NimbusD

Woo, looking forward to this. Caught that like 10 minute preview or w.e earlier last month and looked like a pretty solid big budget affair. Of course that means it'll probably get gimped or cancelled unless it's like a friggen blockbuster.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
joshcryer said:
Can't believe fucking NBC canceled Day One.
Well, they didn't. They just turned it into a miniseries with the possibility of continuing it later.

SpeedingUptoStop

Dan said:
Well, they didn't. They just turned it into a miniseries with the possibility of continuing it later.
I wasn't too impressed by the trailer for this. Typical NBC, where even the most apocalyptic of situations feels clean and stereotypical.

joshcryer

it's ok, you're all right now
Sorry for the OT, btw. I'm looking forward to seeing V tonight, too. I'm *not* looking forward for the stupid ass asinine break they are planning. If it's not *spectacular* I will punish them and not watch when it comes back.

NimbusD

joshcryer said:
Sorry for the OT, btw. I'm looking forward to seeing V tonight, too. I'm *not* looking forward for the stupid ass asinine break they are planning. If it's not *spectacular* I will punish them and not watch when it comes back.

Ugh, I keep forgetting about that.

Solo

Coop said:
This guy hasn't seen Modern Family.

I do not try every single new show, ya know. Theres a limit. Of the stuff Ive seen, its all been shit so far.

SpeedingUptoStop said:
She's "hardass" on Lost in a motherly way, just passive aggressively deconstructing you. This is a much less subtle hardass, from what I've seen in the previews. More active, forward. It's hardto explain, but it just feels very off to me. hopefully it's better in context.

You must read Juliet/Elizabeth Mitchell's S3 performance COMPLETELY different than me then. Because Juliet, while sly and manipulative, is also far from subtle. Witness the previously mentioned scene where she threatens to kill Kate. Ice water in her veins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom