• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Welcoming of the Visitors Thread - V on ABC, every Tuesday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Yeah I find Flashforward more interesting. That plus I'm a huge fan of Robert J Sawyer's novels. (I used to live a block away from him)

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
ToxicAdam said:
No surprise that the ratings were bad. This "split scheduling" is absolute death for a new series.
yeah it's retarded. most people will forget there is even a show when you put months between the first for eps and the rest.

Divvy said:
Just saw the new episode, man was it bad.

Rant:

This show has a complete inability to get us to care about anything. I have trouble identifying with any of the character's motives. In this episode they explicitly stated why each of them cared, as if the show was admitting that it sucked at character motivations. That was pretty unintentionally funny.

Okay, so Juliet (I forget her name) is doing this for her son? Oh, you mean that whiny-ass little shit? They couldn't have made a less likable character if they tried! He could fall off the ship to his death and all I would do is laugh.

This episode also portrayed this great conflict in Juliet's character in allying herself with the fugitive dude, a "deal with the devil" of sorts. We've never heard of this dude before, we have no idea what he's done, or what his personality is. All we have to go on is that the FBI has been trying to catch him for a long time. Hey how about you show us what he's done? Maybe some shots of his past crimes? Maybe they can relate somehow to the current plot? It'd be much more believable than just saying he's bad. You can try to make him look like Sawyer all you want, but the audience isn't going to buy it.

The other main problem I find with shows trying to be Lost with their large casts is their utter failure at letting the audience get to know their characters. They attempt to mimic the large ensemble cast, but what Lost did to succeed was slowly introduce us to them, focusing on one character per episode. What Flashforward and V do is try to cram all the exposition in the first episode, then proceed to run with the plot. The first episode moves at such a breakneck speed that we can't remember the characters at all.

I've watched all of FlashForward and I couldn't tell you any of their names.. There's main white dude (I think his name is Mark), Harold, Penny from Lost, beard alcoholic guy, the hobbit, British dude, boringass male nurse and his boring female friend, etc.. etc...

With V, it's firefly whore, Julliet, Preacher dude, black alien dude, whiny annoying teenager, guy that looks like Michael J Fox and now guy that's trying to look like Sawyer.

How am I supposed to care about any of their problems when I can't eve remember any of their names? FlashForward and V both have the same problem, great concept, horrible execution. Hopefully they can get things together before they get cancelled.

/End Rant

I can't help but feel you want to hate V more than you actually do hate V. Most things in your rant seem really, truly exaggerated and amplified from little mini problems, or non-existent problems. You don't understand "Juliets" motive? Just because her son is a little rebellious nerd brat, it means she shouldn't love him or try to protect him? And oh yeah...how about the fact that she lives on Earth and has seen first hand that the Visitors are lying (her partner) and therefore believes that they're going to attack/end human existence? Come to think of it, she doesn't have to simplify "believe" they're going to kill humankind because the Vs actually tried to kill her. No motive you can understand there? Wtf? Have you been watching this show?

Your Lost comparisons, from the larger cast (only a handful of people, I wouldn't call it Lost-style really) to the terrorist being a knockoff of Sawyer (where the fuck did you come up with this) are pretty random and seem to only exist because you're such a Lost fan, comparing every show you watch to it, rather than these aspects actually being similar or knockoffs to Lost. I don't think V did a "larger" cast just to do it, and it doesn't seem anywhere as large as Lost. You also one second hate on V for rushing characters, and the next hate on the fact that the terrorist hasn't been explained completely in 2 episodes. This show isn't Lost, and unlike Flash Forward, it's not trying to be Lost.

I like V. It's not without its problems. The latest episode felt like they suddenly thought, "Fuck, we have to make this plot last a tv series and we're escalating this too fast," and some of the characters can be a bit boring or flat, but overall I think there's much more good than bad.

Divvy

jonnybryce said:
I can't help but feel you want to hate V more than you actually do hate V. Most things in your rant seem really, truly exaggerated and amplified from little mini problems, or non-existent problems. You don't understand "Juliets" motive? Just because her son is a little rebellious nerd brat, it means she shouldn't love him or try to protect him? And oh yeah...how about the fact that she lives on Earth and has seen first hand that the Visitors are lying (her partner) and therefore believes that they're going to attack/end human existence? Come to think of it, she doesn't have to simplify "believe" they're going to kill humankind because the Vs actually tried to kill her. No motive you can understand there? Wtf? Have you been watching this show?

Your Lost comparisons, from the larger cast (only a handful of people, I wouldn't call it Lost-style really) to the terrorist being a knockoff of Sawyer (where the fuck did you come up with this) are pretty random and seem to only exist because you're such a Lost fan, comparing every show you watch to it, rather than these aspects actually being similar or knockoffs to Lost. I don't think V did a "larger" cast just to do it, and it doesn't seem anywhere as large as Lost. You also one second hate on V for rushing characters, and the next hate on the fact that the terrorist hasn't been explained completely in 2 episodes. This show isn't Lost, and unlike Flash Forward, it's not trying to be Lost.

I like V. It's not without its problems. The latest episode felt like they suddenly thought, "Fuck, we have to make this plot last a tv series and we're escalating this too fast," and some of the characters can be a bit boring or flat, but overall I think there's much more good than bad.

First of all, I don't want to hate it. I really like the premise and unlike a lot of people in this thread, I don't want to see it get cancelled. But to address your points i'll elaborate some more.

I never said I didn't understand all of "Juliet's" motives. Like all of the resistance, they're obviously doing it for survival. It's the one of the strongest motivations a character can have, so yeah I buy that. The issue is that the show is trying to sell to me, the viewer, that she is also strongly motivated to save her son. Making him a completely unlikeable brat with no redeeming feature does nothing to sell that motivation to the viewer. They did a good job at elaborating on Ryan's character in yesterday's episode so I applaud them for that.

I compared the show to Lost because over the last season, all I've heard before and after either shows premiered was that it would be "ABC's next LOST". The fact that they're showing lots of obnoxious V promos during Lost tells me their trying to reach for the same audience. The cast is about the same size as Lost's when it started (of course it ballooned in the subsequent seasons) so I think it's a fair comparison. Even if it wasn't, you can't argue that the characters have not been well developed, and a lot of that has to do with trying to focus on so many characters at the same time.

As for the new terrorist dude, I didn't say he needed to be explained completely. What I mean is that if you're going to introduce a character that is going to push the plot in a major direction, you damn well better show us why he's so important. In last week's episode, they made a huge deal out of him and allying with him. However, what we knew about him was "he's bad m'kay?" If they didn't want to explain it, they could have gone with the mystery angle, implying he did some unspeakable horror that no one wants to talk about, leaving the audience curious. Instead we get a character that's bad, in a very generic way.

Also, I'm not as big a Lost fan as you may think. I already have more posts in this thread than any Lost thread ever.

Watched the two episodes.

I dont get all the hate, they were both entertaining.

Nothing amazing, but not bad either.Yes, the teenage son sobplot continues to be lame....but meh.

Dang...

I thought the official thread would be bigger...

V has its flaws but I'm enjoying the show.

Though I'm enjoying the alien-side moreso than the humans. Juliet and the priest seems to be chasing their tales quite a bit. I don't like how they keep putting their missions at risk on side-quests. They want to save the world but they don't want to make any sacrifices. Also Hobbs is a poor man's Sawyer.

The V-side seems more interesting and consistent. However they need to explain why the 5th Column Vs value human traits so much and hold humans in such high regard. I don't really like how basically they're saying, the only good Vs or those who think humans are superior. I was hoping it would be that most Vs have the potential to be good, but Ana has control over them via the bliss.

Also the Zac Effrone kid needs to go. Teeny boppers aren't going to watch this show, so there's no point in trying to appeal to them.

The plot seems to be moving very fast right now. I'm wondering where else are they going to be able to go.

Patrick Klepek

furiously molesting tim burton
I tried to like V until the sexy times/nom nom reptile face scene. DELETE. Too bad. I'll watch just about anything with aliens. :(

Schrade

Costanza said:
lol nobody is watching this anymore.

i'm still kinda liking it.
I'm still watching it. It's finally starting to get up to speed. I think in the old series they got to the rebel action stuff faster. This one took forever to get there.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Costanza said:

after last weeks episode, I nearly smashed the TV. Somebody has to kill that whiney kid.

I mean jesus. go aliens, wipe us out. The show would suck a lot less if I wasn't watching some dork get it on with someone way hotter than he deserves.

BUT MOMMY DADDYS NOT MY DADDY HOW COULD YOU.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Costanza said:

I think it has definitely picked up.

I'm wondering about the half breeds. Wouldn't it takes years to breed them? Unlike the eggs laying Anna.

jax (old)

Banned
absolutely terrible this series. I expect them to cancel this soon. Huge cast, CG budget and i don't think its hitting home with viewers. Anyone got numbers?

When they had the V soldier on the ground with an axe in his chest, the good guy didn't have a gun in him to pop out a few rounds? Its not like they don't carry guns. Also, the fact that anna can churn out a bazillion eggs.. and they send 1 soldier to get the baby they really want? ... :lol :lol :lol

anna/scott wolf are boring to watch.

anna on learning about alien/human hybrid... she doesn't go on about the medical impossibilties etc etc.. It is the first of its kind after all..

she says "blah blah.. the hybrid will have human emotions. we must kill it".

naff.

Future

The Vs have been terrible at keeping their reptile secret. Tons of Vs dying in the wild, leaving the corpses behind, leaving their secrets for all to see. All it takes is one camera, one video upload to the internet, one shipped corpse to a hospital or news organizationand then the plan the Vs have been plotting for years gets stopped instantly. This plot hole just keeps destroying all believability to me.

At least if they addressed it somehow. Had the bodies fizzle away without a trace automatically. Present some logical reason why the humans in the know are trying to keep this a secret, which seems only to help the Vs. Right now, it just seems like they ignore it because if they didnt, they wouldnt be able to write the show the way they did

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
The "WTF" moments are what has bothered me about the new V. It does have a 'naff' element to it, like the old TV series had compared to the original miniseries.

There's always atleast one per episode where someone does something or gets away with something totally retarded.

It's been getting better since it's return, but most of the new ideas they brought in at the start seem to be working against it. Visitors having already been on earth and infiltrated Government etc. has so far just meant everything could move way too speedily at first, no one seems bothered, and our so-called resistance twat around unable to do anything. FBI girl and the priest (I still can't remember their names after 9 episodes) make a VERY poor Julie and Donovon.

I do like Anna though, the whole emotionless sadism and cult angle they have going on. They do need to explain why they are bloody here soon though, and what they want humans and the planet for. By now in the original the Visitors were harvesting humans on the sly and nicking the water. The fascist angle of the original was a lot more direct than the cult thing they have going on here.

I'm guessing the live aboard programme is the equivalent of the Nazi experiments. Anna's interests in the humans being to understand and wipe out emotion in her species, creating her Master Race. Which would be a nice development of the Nazi parallels in the original.

Would also be interesting if Anna was working on her own, and the ships shown at the end of episode 4 were coming for her not us.

It could still come together quite well.

Just before it's cancelled

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Damn it, that episode was really good. I would actually miss it now if it's cancelled I think.

Anna is becoming a worthy replacement to Diana.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
It's sad to see the ratings so low now. The last show was great. This show is really getting better every week now.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I have no idea how, but I recognized the guy that plays Hobbes as being that Australian guy that was dating Shannon in Lost...in season 1.

I totally agree with all of you. V is really starting to get good and I almost gave up on it but decided to give it another chance, I am glad I did.

This week's episode was great and next week looks like the tipping point between humans and the visitors.

Divvy

That last episode was pretty great. Good to see it's hitting its stride, but sad to see ratings take the shit.

Also :lol at the pink DS surviving whereas nothing else did.

jrricky

Banned
Holy Shit, HOLY SHIT!!!! Got caught up with the episodes on my DVR and the last episode was OMG! The best episode by far and left my jaw dropped...

Zachack

RS4- said:
What in the world just happened :lol
The show started to crawl away from awfulness (I don't know how people can think last week's episode was anything other than tedious) and has reached the bottom level of mediocrity.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Jim said:
The chatter is that it may get renewed actually.
That's good news.

You know, it's ratings are good enough for say, NBC to renew it, but I figured with the kind budget this show must run on to have that many explosions, there's no way.

But on the plus side, the cast is really quite small, and everyone other than Elizabeth Mitchell and Morena Baccarin are pretty much replaceable/killable.

Zachack said:
The show started to crawl away from awfulness (I don't know how people can think last week's episode was anything other than tedious) and has reached the bottom level of mediocrity.
Yup. I just cant really get into it. I watch it while browsing the web at the same time. I dont feel like I am missing much by not paying too close attention.

Angry Grimace

Jim said:
The chatter is that it may get renewed actually.
Divvy said:
Yeah I find Flashforward more interesting. That plus I'm a huge fan of Robert J Sawyer's novels. (I used to live a block away from him)
ABC has apparently cancelled FlashForward; renewed V (no idea for what length, but I'd imagine 13).

Not that GAF particularly cares. :lol

V isn't 'great,' but it's not something that couldn't be fixed by putting Wesley Crusher ERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR Tyler on a bus to Nowheresville, or possibly his own CW show.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
V : We are nothing without our devout followers and the result of your dedication is our continued presence on your planet. Today, we are pleased to announce that we will officially be with you for a second season! Until then, enjoy our finale presentation Tuesday at 10|9c on ABC.

It's back for another 13 episodes.

I'm pleased at this, it has been coming together and the prospects of an all-out war second season could turn it around quite a lot.

Angry Grimace

DECK'ARD said:
It's back for another 13 episodes.

I'm pleased at this, it has been coming together and the prospects of an all-out war second season could turn it around quite a lot.
I hope they keep the Hobbes character around. They really need a badass for their Super Sentai team. :lol

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Angry Grimace said:
I hope they keep the Hobbes character around. They really need a badass for their Super Sentai team. :lol

Yeah, Hobbes and Anna are the best 2 things about it.

I'm hoping the writers aren't stupid enough to make him really be selling out the resistance though ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom