• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order: 1886 |OT| Gears of Yore

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Finally finished it, thought it was great and a solid 8. The setting, story, acting, shooting mechanics and graphics were all top notch.

This is easily the most harshly-reviewed game I have ever come across. Although I'm certain that plenty of people that haven't played it will tell me I'm a fanboy trying to justify my purchase.

This has probably been asked before but what exactly
was the deal with the Vampires and Lycans? The guy in charge of the India Trading Company was a vampire but your commander in the Order is a Lycan? Why were the Lycan's helping to ship vampire's to America?

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I thought the elder qte-s were fine. Maybe they can mix it up a bit. I'm not allergic to QTE-s.
I do hate to press a button for something silly though. The morse code was ridiculous.
That felt like "Obligatory ps4 exclusive touchpad moment." Was really odd and out of plac imo. Actually, wouldn't it have made more sense to make the touch pad the interact button instead of the triangle button, the symbol that's there before you get close enough for the triangle to appear bears a resemblance to the one used in Second Son for touchpad moments. Also crossposting.

Also couldn't help but notice this resemblance.

crybaby.gif

lpjkio.gif

Paganmoon

I agree. For all the reasons you mentioned, and I believe the game will sell well enough Worldwide to warrant a sequel as well. I bet this game will have very solid sales.

Heavenly Sword was a launch window game, that didn't review badly, and sold ok (considering the sell through numbers of the PS3 at the time), didn't get a sequel :( So it's not set in stone really.

antitrop

Hawaii to Colorado! Anti I'm so very sorry

Well, Hawaii was just a temporary home, while I was stationed there for the military. So moving back home was quite a joyful thing. I used the free moving service contracted by the military to ship all my stove overseas when I was done, a dead pixel was the worst of my flight back, so no big deal.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Heavenly Sword was a launch window game, that didn't review badly, and sold ok (considering the sell through numbers of the PS3 at the time), didn't get a sequel :( So it's not set in stone really.
Hellblade is pretty much a spiritual successor.

I'm with banafactory though on the weapon upgrade thing. I think this unlock stuff is a bane on video games.
I don't feel like it's a "bane" but I feel it's highly misplaced in a game like The Order. I don't feel like it adds anything to the game. Again this is my opinion, but each weapon in The Order feels unique. From the coach shotgun to the standard shotgun, the different pistols and machine pistols, the long range rifles, the Falchion machine gun compared to the standard machine gun, etc. I feel like each one felt distinct and had a lot of thought put into their designs. I think adding something like a leveling system would mess that up, making guns weaker in the beginning and upgrading to more powerful ones w/ stats and all during the course of the game...just doesn't fit the universe imo.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I don't feel like it's a "bane" but I feel it's highly misplaced in a game like The Order. I don't feel like it adds anything to the game. Again this is my opinion, but each weapon in The Order feels unique. From the coach shotgun to the standard shotgun, the different pistols and machine pistols, the long range rifles, the Falchion machine gun compared to the standard machine gun, etc. I feel like each one felt distinct and had a lot of thought put into their designs. I think adding something like a leveling system would mess that up, making guns weaker in the beginning and upgrading to more powerful ones during the course of the game...just doesn't fit the universe imo.
Yeah it definitely doesn't fit the universe.

I just think it's a bane because I think designers are supposed to create interesting encounters. If they have these upgrade mechanics in place then they can't assume you have adequate weaponry in any given scenario.
(Unless they compromise their upgrade your arsenal mechanics. I'm assuming people want additional options unlocked in such a scenario and not just a sick red dot sight on a revolver that gives +10% accuracy.)

...just doesn't fit the universe imo.

This argument I really don't get, how does it not fit in a universe where you have Nikola Tesla building weapons and gagdets for the organisation that exists in a version of Victorian London with monorails and airships? Why even have Tesla in the universe at all? For the science weapons that you barely get to use? Or the one gagdet that's just a fancy key to unlock the next part of a level.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Hottest
indian chick
to ever appear in a video game by my estimation. Hope she plays a bigger role in the sequel, which I'm sure she will.

It really seems like The Order will be referring the the fringe group that includes her, Tesla, and Grayson. Wouldn't be surprised if the knight's Order falls apart at some point and Lafayette and Isabeau join up.

This argument I really don't get, how does it not fit in a universe where you have Nikola Tesla building weapons and gagdets for the organisation that exists in a version of Victorian London with monorails and airships? Why even have Tesla in the universe at all? For the science weapons that you barely get to use? Or the one gagdet that's just a fancy key to unlock the next part of a level.
I'm talking simply about a leveling up/upgrade system for weapons. I'm all for implementing new weapons in themselves, but to attach base stats like damage, accuracy and all that shit? Nah, just isn't what The Order is about to me.

Melchiah

This is easily the most harshly-reviewed game I have ever come across. Although I'm certain that plenty of people that haven't played it will tell me I'm a fanboy trying to justify my purchase.

I think the 4/10 scores the game got were completely undeserved. It's nowhere near that shitty and buggy, compared to the likes of Blood Omen 2, which was just an awful game. I guess The Order was just destined to be a target for mudslinging for those who hate cinematic games.

krioto

I've just reached chapter 15, probably about 7-8 hours in thus far (hard, no auto-aim).

I have to wonder what the majority of reviewers were smoking - I'm loving the story, the voice acting, the atmosphere - it's really a great experience - and the guns, man just as good as KZ2.

It really seems like The Order will be referring the the fringe group that includes her, Tesla, and Grayson. Wouldn't be surprised if the knight's Order falls apart at some point and Lafayette and Isabeau join up.

I'm assuming they will all eventually reform the Order (the ones who live) with Grayson retaking his name as Galahad.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

There's already a lot of unique weaponry in the game and all of it has a place and a purpose. I'd like to see them focus on integrating the weapon purposes into the core design and adding more variety instead of an upgrade tree. I would like to see more gadgets and see them in use more for optional content. Lockpicking and overloading doors to find collectables in the later chapters felt much more satisfying than in the earlier parts of the game.

I don't feel like it's a "bane" but I feel it's highly misplaced in a game like The Order. I don't feel like it adds anything to the game. Again this is my opinion, but each weapon in The Order feels unique. From the coach shotgun to the standard shotgun, the different pistols and machine pistols, the long range rifles, the Falchion machine gun compared to the standard machine gun, etc. I feel like each one felt distinct and had a lot of thought put into their designs. I think adding something like a leveling system would mess that up, making guns weaker in the beginning and upgrading to more powerful ones w/ stats and all during the course of the game...just doesn't fit the universe imo.
Hmn, i don't know. I can imagine one weapon getting addons made by Tesla. They did it pretty well in Wolfenstein. But that also had the fun of a weapon wheel..

But i wouldn't mind the way they do it now in The Order. Just let Tesla make more awesome stuff.

PBY

Banned
I think I want a sequel. But I'd want them to shift away from the play-a-narrative structure. Fix the encounters and give me more and I'm probably down.

I've just reached chapter 15, probably about 7-8 hours in thus far (hard, no auto-aim).

I have to wonder what the majority of reviewers were smoking - I'm loving the story, the voice acting, the atmosphere - it's really a great experience - and the guns, man just as good as KZ2.
Yeah, I'm seriously enjoying it. I'm actually paying attention to the cutscenes and story whereas in other games I tune out completely. The characters do a wonderful job of portraying real emotion, it's a huge step forward in game animation and acting. More credit needs to be given to RAD for these accomplishments.

I'm with banafactory though on the weapon upgrade thing. I think this unlock stuff is a bane on video games.
Same here. Not every game needs that stuff.

If anything its nice to not to have to worry about having to unlock this or that. Especially considering all the other games I've been playing. The Order's differences are just fine in my book.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I think I want a sequel. But I'd want them to shift away from the play-a-narrative structure. Fix the encounters and give me more and I'm probably down.

I think they need to go back to the drawing board on encounter design and pacing as well as allowing for more player control in the cinematic moments. If they do that, a sequel could be massively improved without having to lose the style and narrative focus.

JimPanzer

played for an hour...why are characters not reflected in mirrors? seems really weird with the otherwise incredible attention to detail

komplanen

Here's what I thought:

+ Amazing tech
+ Good voice acting
+ Great art

- Boring, simple, gameplay
- Too little control over the character
- Guns were a let down
- Bad QTE's
- Too many QTE's and cutscenes
- Story not fleshed out enough
- Character motivations felt 'off'
- Not enough variety in stages
- Too short
- No replayability
- No challenges

I'd score it a 2/5 and hope they source that tech + artistry to other studios.

Something I'd love to see patched in for this game is the option to disable on-screen prompts - outside of stealth and QTEs where they seem to be required. I mean all the tutorial tips, and even the simple triangles that show up to interact with photos and newspapers and the like. At least let us disable that stuff for replays. I really don't need to be reminded how to examine things, shuffle or climb each and every time.

Melchiah

played for an hour...why are characters not reflected in mirrors? seems really weird with the otherwise incredible attention to detail

I asked the same question here, and it's a technical limitation. It's a bit puzzling why they inserted mirrors here and there, knowing the limitation.

Schryver

One option I'd love to see patched in for this game is the option to disable on-screen prompts - outside of stealth and QTEs where they seem to be required. I mean all the tutorial tips, and even the simple triangles that show up to interact with photos and newspapers and the like. At least let us disable that stuff for replays. I really don't need to be reminded how to examine things, shuffle or climb each and every time.

Yeah seems weird to show that stuff all the time when it's supposed to be a more cinematic experience

Superflat

I think they need to go back to the drawing board on encounter design and pacing as well as allowing for more player control in the cinematic moments. If they do that, a sequel could be massively improved without having to lose the style and narrative focus.

Absolutely. The pacing was slow and jarring for the first 3 hours or so because of how often they pull the player aside for nearly every transition and have cutscenes do the work.

The enemy encounter design, namely the levels were pretty disappointing throughout. There were some fun moments with the scoped rifle and the few times there were some elements of verticality, but most of them were the generic "bad guys on one end of the room vs you on the other end of the room" in a fairly enclosed area, with little emphasis or reason to move around or get to an advantageous spot. The late game area where enemies came in from all sides and you're forced to constantly move was the most fun I had with the game, and I wished there was more of that.

Can anyone explain to me,

Who was Percival talking to? Was it alluded or something that will be explained in the sequel?

Are we supposed to know who the guy that was with Tesla is? Have we seen him before? Is he the one who was talking to Percival in the beginning of the game?

People who complain about too many cutscenes should play a different game IMO. There's nothing wrong with the cutscenes. There is some unnecessary few second cutscenes like opening the door (unless that is what people mean). Adding 2-3 hours of pure gameplay with the same amount of cinematics is fine for the sequel.

Adored it. The first half is a little sluggish but it really does come into its own towards the end. The story, setting, world and characters are all excellent in my opinion.

The gunplay is first class and the cover system felt fantastic. Loved it.

Grinchy

Banned
I can envision a sequel that is more "free-roamish." It would fit the narrative as well. In the first game
you were mostly bound to The Order and followed instructions. In the sequel, you've truly gone out on your own as a rogue to finish what you started.
It would make a lot of sense thematically to go with a more open style of game.

I really liked this first entry, though. I hope it does get a sequel because the characters, story, and setting are all fantastic. The gunplay is great too.

funkypie

Banned

Who was Percival talking to? Was it alluded or something that will be explained in the sequel?

Are we supposed to know who the guy that was with Tesla is? Have we seen him before? Is he the one who was talking to Percival in the beginning of the game?

People who complain about too many cutscenes should play a different game IMO. There's nothing wrong with the cutscenes. There is some unnecessary few second cutscenes like opening the door (unless that is what people mean). Adding 2-3 hours of pure gameplay with the same amount of cinematics is fine for the sequel.

You're having a laugh mate. Game was advertised as a cinematic game, not an interactive movie. You can have plenty of gameplay in a cinematic game, just this game fails on that.

Coconut

Banned
I think one of my biggest problems with this game trying to be cinematic is that its a terrible structure for games to mimic and games even as a full retail release should try to be more like a TV show that Way you can enjoy it in large chunks or in small bites.

Skux

The guy Percival was talking to is the same guy who saves you with Tesla, we just have no idea who he actually is.

Superflat

I think one of my biggest problems with this game trying to be cinematic is that its a terrible structure for games to mimic and games even as a full retail release should try to be more like a TV show that Way you can enjoy it in large chunks or in small bites.

That's a fairly broad statement so I don't understand what you mean.

What do you mean by "cinematic structure"? What is bad for games to emulate, when games themselves are so versatile and aren't actually paced or structured like films are (considering films are tightly constructed, often with cap at 2.5 hours)?

Why can't one enjoy any 1886 or any other game for that matter as it is today by enjoying them "in large chunks or in small bites" at the player's discretion?

Here's what I thought:

+ Amazing tech
+ Good voice acting
+ Great art

- Guns were a let down
- Bad QTE's
- Too short
- No replayability
- No challenges

OUCH!

2/5?

That is the worst impression yet.

This game is excellent.

My jaw dropped multiple times during my playthrough (I haven't finished it yet). I'm having so much fun. Galahad is a fucking bad ass. Victorian London. Arc gun. Arc gun bazooka. Werewolves, lycans. Knights.

If you're not having fun with this game, or you're complaining about it being too cinematic and short, this just isn't the game for you. Why did you even buy it? It was known in advance.

Jingo

Ok so im playing it for an hour now and im feeling an idiot, after reading people here complaining the game is too easy and we should play on hard to get some difficulty, i pulled the trigger and started on hard with no auto aim.

Result: At least one die in every encounter and some difficult aiming at enemys, i reduced the aim sensibility to 4 but im still a desgrace!

Despite that im loving the game, yeah the cutcenes could be way less but metal gear was them twice the size and everyone loves that game, me too :D

Superflat

If you're not having fun with this game, or you're complaining about it being too cinematic and short, this just isn't the game for you. Why did you even buy it? It was known in advance.
I have to say as someone who knew it would be a linear, story-driven cinematic TPS, even I was surprised at how much the control the game would take away from the player at times. I also just expected a much more exciting/interesting narrative, and the first half disappointed in particular. It was ripe for endearing me to the characters and their camaraderie, but I felt that it fell short.

But the story ramped up in the second half, story and gameplay-wise, which did wonders for my opinion of the game. I actually enjoyed the ending too and thought it was pretty powerful ending
as an origin story for Grayson.

Mifune

Mehmber
I'm only up to Chapter Four but I'm adoring the experience so far. Hell, I had a dream about Whitechapel last night. It's a powerfully immersive game.

EGM1966

Here's what I thought:

+ Amazing tech
+ Good voice acting
+ Great art

- Guns were a let down
- Bad QTE's
- Too short
- No replayability
- No challenges

I know opinions and all that but any comment about poor guns just flat out puzzles me.

The best shotguns since forever, wicked two shot pistols,blethal high impact rifles plus terrific grenade launcher, arc gun and thermite rifle.

Couple that with terrific audio and feedback for guns, great aiming and heavy bloody damage and I just don't see how anyone can fault the guns.

The encounter design? Sure. But the guns? Can't see it.

Mifune

Mehmber
It reminds me of Gone Home more than something like Heavy Rain. And the shooting is full-on Gears. Lots of familiar elements that when combined create something that, to me, feels unique.

Top Bottom