• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order: 1886 |OT| Gears of Yore

Most games I beat, I usually don't give them too much thought afterwards. I'm just done with them. Something about this game makes me keep thinking about it and wanting to return to it. Thats pretty uncommon for me.

Most games I beat, I usually don't give them too much thought afterwards. I'm just done with them. Something about this game makes me keep thinking about it and wanting to return to it. Thats pretty uncommon for me.

Same. I'm itching for a 2nd playthrough but lent it to a friend to play

spwolf

You're having a laugh mate. Game was advertised as a cinematic game, not an interactive movie. You can have plenty of gameplay in a cinematic game, just this game fails on that.

it is definitely not interactive movie at all... this game has nothing to do with games like Heavy Rain. As soon as I read things like that, it is clear that people did not play the game, or at least did not go past chapter 2.

Basically, Heavy Rain is interactive movie type of the game where bread and butter of the gameplay is in QTEs. Gameplay in The Order is everywhere but in QTEs. QTEs are used to tell the story and provide some cinematics, but they are mostly not interactive.

So in Heavy Rain, main gameplay is based on interactive QTEs and in The Order, gameplay is based on shooting segments. Two completely different experiences, only things that are similar is heavy use of cinematics to tell the story.

Maybe if they added more interactive world and few ways of getting somewhere, it would have scored much higher with some reviewers. And make chapter 1 and 2 have more shooting and less cinematics, game would have likely scored 9's. Add some super hard mode when you finish hard mode and there you go with replayability.

I would not know since i die a lot even with aim assist.. so i must suck in TPS, which i do.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
It's funny, with this game thinking back on it the flaws are very apparent but when I sit down to play something I can't help but load this up despite already having the platinum. When I'm in control I enjoy it a ton, even when just slowly walking around and taking in the environments.

Same. I'm itching for a 2nd playthrough but lent it to a friend to play
Lol. I have games that collect dust forever and as soon as I lend them out I want to play them. Never played Max Payne 3 since it came out. Just lent it to a friend and now I'm itching to play it lol.

It's funny, with this game thinking back on it the flaws are very apparent but when I sit down to play something I can't help but load this up despite already having the platinum. When I'm in control I enjoy it a ton, even when just slowly walking around and taking in the environments.
I don't have the platinum yet but I do the same. It really is a testament to how much work they put into the visuals that I like to revisit areas just to look at it. The hospital... the atmosphere is just incredible.

The shooting is great too.

10392391_10153004475020999_5567413639105759829_n.jpg

11001856_10153004475285999_4194459658095373311_n.jpg

Coconut

Banned
I personally didn't mind them either, I just want people to complain less, I actually like QTEs haha.

There no urgency or importance to the QTEs though I mean they'd at least be interesting if doing them or not doing them ended with consequence other than restarting just before the QTE starts. There's really no reason for it to be a thing if it doesn't mean anything. QTEs are the cheapest way to make something "interactive narrative".

It's the carney trick of gameplay.

There no urgency or importance to the QTEs though I mean they'd at least be interesting if doing them or not doing them ended with consequence other than restarting just before the QTE starts. There's really no reason for it to be a thing if it doesn't mean anything. QTEs are the cheapest way to make something "interactive narrative".

It's the carney trick of gameplay.

Yeah, well I guess there isn't a meaningful consequence in this except that you restart it, would have been cool if it branched out or something like that. I enjoy doing them though, I know that's not popular opinion lol

Yeah, well I guess there isn't a meaningful consequence in this except that you restart it, would have been cool if it branched out or something like that. I enjoy doing them though, I know that's not popular opinion lol

The fun of QTE in Heavy Rain was the urgency created by the fact that any character could die and you never knew how or when it might happen. The fact that they branched and adapter made it all the more engaging. Brilliant execution

I'm not saying The Order needs to go Quantic route and have all sorts of different endings and outcomes or whatever but a bit of variation in the way things play out through your QTE actions would help a lot in making them feel more dynamic

The fun of QTE in Heavy Rain was the urgency created by the fact that any character could die and you never knew how or when it might happen. The fact that they branched and adapter made it all the more engaging. Brilliant execution

Yup, that was my favorite execution of QTE's in a game. You mess up there are some huge consequences, correct me if I am wrong, but Beyond didn't really have some crazy consequences did it, it just changed the scene you played next

Coconut

Banned

Popular or not doesn't matter. You say you like them but what do you like about them in this game?

Yopis

Feel the same had some cool conversations with friends about this. Hope they get another shot, really had a good fun.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

I'm not saying The Order needs to go Quantic route and have all sorts of different endings and outcomes or whatever but a bit of variation in the way things play out through your QTE actions would help a lot in making them feel more dynamic
I think if they keep QTEs they should only really do stuff like the Turning Points but with more possible attacks and outcomes. Those didn't have the same immediate failure states as the others and could allow for some variety on playthroughs.

Man, the thought of a sequel for this game gets my armchair developer juices flowing.

Yup, that was my favorite execution of QTE's in a game. You mess up there are some huge consequences, correct me if I am wrong, but Beyond didn't really have some crazy consequences did it, it just changed the scene you played next

Yeah Beyond was a step ahead in presentation (acting/graphcis etc) but a step back in that regard. Very little change to the overall outcome.

mujun

I'm getting rid of my copy. No way I want to sit through all the cutscenes and stuff again just to get to the meat of the game.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Yeah Beyond was a step ahead in presentation (acting/graphcis etc) but a step back in that regard. Very little change to the overall outcome.
Agreed. The writing and presentation was better in Beyond but the loss of tension and lower sense of interaction and stain was sorely missed.

Halabane

played for an hour...why are characters not reflected in mirrors? seems really weird with the otherwise incredible attention to detail

are they all vampires? Haven't played the game but I thought there was something about them in the game. thought vampires didn't have a reflection?

havok75

I know what you mean I platinum'd it on sunday afternoon and find myself just going back in to play a few chapters here and there.

Popular or not doesn't matter. You say you like them but what do you like about them?

I like that I feel somewhat involved in the scenes that are playing out, it's a cheap trick, but it works for me. I'd rather have some input instead of watching something in a cutscene. I don't feel as passive with what is going on.

If you beat the game look ahead to see some scenes of where I enjoyed it, don't read if you didn't beat it though.

-When Lakshmi is about to get attacked by Lord Hastings and you have to throw the knife

-Fighting Lucan in the boss battle at the end, after all the dodging and stuff, when he's throwing you around

-I even liked the counting down that happens on the airship before Galahad throws the smoke grenade

Coconut

Banned
I think if they keep QTEs they should only really do stuff like the Turning Points but with more possible attacks and outcomes. Those didn't have the same immediate failure states as the others and could allow for some variety on playthroughs.

Man, the thought of a sequel for this game gets my armchair developer juices flowing.

Or look at something like Activereload which is really just QTE that has a failure state and reward when executed a specific way something like that in these moments would at least engage the player and give consequence to your actions without immediately breaking you out of the moment.

fade_

I thought they were pushing this narrative early on where if you failed a QTE the scene would play out differently. Am I misremembering?

I like that I feel somewhat involved in the scenes that are playing out, it's a cheap trick, but it works for me. I'd rather have some input instead of watching something in a cutscene. I don't feel as passive with what is going on.

If you beat the game look ahead to see some scenes of where I enjoyed it, don't read if you didn't beat it though.

-When Lakshmi is about to get attacked by Lord Hastings and you have to throw the knife

-Fighting Lucan in the boss battle at the end, after all the dodging and stuff, when he's throwing you around

-I even liked the counting down that happens on the airship before Galahad throws the smoke grenade

I agree I liked all of those.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

I liked all of those too

I thought they were pushing this narrative early on where if you failed a QTE the scene would play out differently. Am I misremembering?
Some do but only a couple.

fastmower

Likewise. The characters, setting, and plot really stuck with me.

void666

Banned
are they all vampires? Haven't played the game but I thought there was something about them in the game. thought vampires didn't have a reflection?

Technical limitations. Yes, weird. If you can't have reflexes why put lots of mirrors? Anyway, there are vampires but the main characters aren't vampires AFAIK.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
played for an hour...why are characters not reflected in mirrors? seems really weird with the otherwise incredible attention to detail

Technical issue, apparently. I agree that it really stands out considering the fidelity of the game. They probably shouldn't have put in mirrors in the game if they weren't going to be able to do reflections.

Aaarrgh. RaD.. I'm playing the game a second time but the cutscenes HAVE to be skippable on a second playthrough. Just saying..
However, it is nice to hear certain things that i might have not payed as much attention to the first time.

Still, it's a must RaD.

Shaddy

Neo Member
I don't really know why but I simply fell in love with this game. Just started my second playthrough and will probably play it a third time after some time went by. :)

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Aaarrgh. RaD.. I'm playing the game a second time but the cutscenes HAVE to be skippable on a second playthrough. Just saying..
However, it is nice to hear certain things that i might have not payed as much attention to the first time.

Still, it's a must RaD.
This, no collectable count, and no way to listen to audio logs in game are weird as hell oversights in such a polished game.

Ryuuga

Banned
I'm hearing many people say that the game needs to be experienced. I agree, I'm of the opinon that it's better to play and form my own opinion. That being said, would anyone be willing to shareplay this with me? I want to check it out for myself.

Coconut

Banned
I'm hearing many people say that the game needs to be experienced. I agree, I'm of the opinon that it's better to play and form my own opinion. That being said, would anyone be willing to shareplay this with me? I want to check it out for myself.

Yes I will if you can do it from a disc PM me the details I've never share played before.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Game's fantastic mechanically. As you said, just walking around simply feels good. It's clear they took ND design philosophies to heart in more ways than one.

Seriously id like to be on the meeting where they decided to not have audio logs play in game.
Considering how often the game takes over it makes some sense. It would butt against the game throwing you into conversations / cut-scenes / QTEs.

I would have preferred they added to the experience of playing them in the menus. Like having some basic visuals or concept art to go along with the audio. Or make it look like oldey-time TV like the video machines in Bioshock Infinite or the latest zeppelin video for The Order.

Ammogeddon

So I decided to ignore the reviews and went ahead and got this game. Glad I did.

It feels like the review standard this gen has gone up a few notches. Rightly or wrongly I used to base many of my game purchases on how well they reviewed. I would very rarely get a game that reviewed less than say 88% but if I stuck with that mindset I would barely have anything to play this gen. I accept there isn't as much innovation in some of these games but I'm okay with that so long as I enjoy the experience.

Sometimes it's about managing your expectations too, who knows you may end up being pleasantly surprised like I was with The Order 1886.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Game's fantastic mechanically. As you said, just walking around simply feels good. It's clear they took ND design philosophies to heart in more ways than one.
The feel of character movement and gunplay in this game is top notch. It just feels good to play.

Just beat it. I honestly have no clue why this game was reviewed the way it was. I thought the guns were interesting and fun to use. The cover system worked well enough. Also the AI wasn't that bad but nowhere near perfect. The story took a bit to pick up speed but when it did I was engrossed enough to want to play more to see the ending. Speaking of the ending, there better be a sequel. That is all I will say.

RAD did a great job at creating a engine that had quick load times and looked breathtaking. I really hope they get to do more together in this world they created.

Edit - Just want to say I went out of my way to platinum this right after I beat it. Still enjoyed playing even afterwards. I will probably be replaying it down the line.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
There's no collectable tracking? That's going to be a pain in the ass.
Not as bad as you'd think. I remembered all of the ones I picked up so when I went through a collectable guide it was easy to pinpoint what I needed. Quite a few chapters have none and there's a comprehensive scene select menu so you can quickly get where you need to go, especially since the load times are crazy fast.

nampad

Played from chapter 4 to chapter 9 today and the game picked up the pace a bit. The presentation seems more polished in these chapters, especially the
airship
gameplay we already seen in the gameplay videos. I guess they polished that chapter up even more for showing off the game.

Still, there were some things that bugged me. The stealth section was dumb and I know the next chapter will be even more stealth related, blergh. The camera once again is too close for making the stealth mechanic work well. You don't know your surroundings.
Annoyingly, you have to do everything perfectly or you start from the beginning. This also goes for some QTEs and I think the window of opportunity is too short for some of the QTEs, I could barely make out the buttons.

In chapter 8, the heavy scripting of the gunplay encounter felt really bad. Enemies spawned out of nowhere and always did the same. I had to take out one special guy and it was impossible to do it in another way as intended. He must have caught like 6 grenades from me but no, I have to trigger some certain event and make a split second kill afterwards, which is only possible when I know the situation.

The audiovisuals keep impressing me though and the core gunplay is quite fun. The cover is sometimes too sticky though and the camera needs to move away a little bit further. Firing the guns itself feels quite good though.

My opinion moved from super mediocre up to ok/good after those chapters.

Top Bottom