• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order: 1886 |OT| Gears of Yore

There's no collectable tracking? That's going to be a pain in the ass.

Watching Youtube videos for the collectables wasn't too bad, you tend to remember the vast majority you pick up as you see it unfold again in the video and most of them are in plain sight.

Obviously a tracker would make it incredibly easy but I wasn't too fussed.

I don't feel like it's a "bane" but I feel it's highly misplaced in a game like The Order. I don't feel like it adds anything to the game. Again this is my opinion, but each weapon in The Order feels unique. From the coach shotgun to the standard shotgun, the different pistols and machine pistols, the long range rifles, the Falchion machine gun compared to the standard machine gun, etc. I feel like each one felt distinct and had a lot of thought put into their designs. I think adding something like a leveling system would mess that up, making guns weaker in the beginning and upgrading to more powerful ones w/ stats and all during the course of the game...just doesn't fit the universe imo.

Totally agree about levelling up. This is not the sort of game where that applies.
The could however make use of Tesla to improve firepower.
They could even link that to the collectibles to make things a bit more cohesive.

For example: You are scouring a East India base and find a collectible blueprint that relates to research done by Edison.
At the end of that level, during a cutscene with Tesla, he tells you he has examined Edison's blueprint and converted it into an upgrade for the Arc gun (giving you an alt fire mode)

In one fell swoop you have a bona fide reason to search for collectibles and a reward which can alter gameplay but feels consistent with the cinematic tone.
See, RAD, it's easy. Don't listen to the super whingers - they just want to see the world burn - there are plenty people who enjoy the game providing constructive suggestions, listen to us!!!!
Lol

Two of the podcasts I listen to had nothing but glowing praise for this. Money is a little tight for me right now, but I'm definitely interested in picking it up sometime down the road because of the positive impressions I've heard.

eFKac

Just finished the game.

Loved it despite some problems.

It ended abruptly as I finished my last playthrough on Chapter XIV so there was only 2 chapters left basically and my last playthrough only lasted about an hour, wish there was more!
And damn quite a cliffhanger there! It's a bit of a shame as I hoped that The Order games will be standalones and with sequels/prequels will move on to an other era, but now we desperately need an Order 1887.

Fisty

Just finished the game. If there was a preorder for The Order: 1887 on the store right now, I would buy it.

Game controls like pure butter. Gunplay was meaty and felt GOOD. Guns had real kick, rifle reload animation rivals RE4. A few hang-ups on cover every now and again, but nothing major. Graphics were art. Story was good, definitely had great pacing and thought the characters were interesting enough, Lakshmi was cool as shit and I liked Galahad.

Definitely a fantastic new IP for me, lots of good foundation built and lots of room to grow (Arkham Asylum, MGR, Uncharted 1). Reviewers really missed the mark on this one imo, solid 8.5

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Just finished the game.

Loved it despite some problems.

It ended abruptly as I finished my last playthrough on Chapter XIV so there was only 2 chapters left basically and my last playthrough only lasted about an hour, wish there was more!
And damn quite a cliffhanger there! It's a bit of a shame as I hoped that The Order games will be standalones and with sequels/prequels will move on to an other era, but now we desperately need an Order 1887.
As annoying as it is narratively, I do think it's probably for the best that they've pretty much locked themselves into having to do 1887 from a development standpoint. Lots of assets can be reused and they can just focus on design.

Yeah, I'm on the same problem now. Only got all of the newspapers, and will have to get the rest with a complete youtube guide which I absolutely despise ughh...

I thought the same but there's been a couple places where many people missed documents/objects

Do this first:

1.Go through the Archives again, it's not possible to get everything there in 1 go
2. Go back to the warehouse in Chapter 9 right before you start burning the crates. I missed a document and object there

Other than some phonographs, those were the only things I missed. I would bet it's the same for you if you were thorough in your playthrough.

And phonographs are easy as you can see which one's you're missing and just look up their locations

Edit: 1 other place some people might miss is a door that you have to lockpick
in the gardens during chapter 11

Chapter 11 collectibles
just hit restart from checkpoint as soon as the cut scene kicks in for the other collectibles.

Worked for me.

One play through no chapter select and done

Yeah, I'm on the same problem now. Only got all of the newspapers, and will have to get the rest with a complete youtube guide which I absolutely despise ughh...

Jump on PlaystationTrophies and use the PowerPyx or whatever their name is guide. The videos are short, only took me about an hour last night to jump around chapters grabbing the ones I didn't recognise.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Jump on PlaystationTrophies and use the PowerPyx or whatever their name is guide. The videos are short, only took me about an hour last night to jump around chapters grabbing the ones I didn't recognise.
PowerPyx makes the best collectable guides. Fast, well edited, and easy to follow.

eFKac

I thought the same but there's been a couple places where many people missed documents/objects

Do this first:

1.Go through the Archives again, it's not possible to get everything there in 1 go
2. Go back to the warehouse in Chapter 9 right before you start burning the crates. I missed a document and object there

Other than some phonographs, those were the only things I missed. I would bet it's the same for you if you were thorough in your playthrough.

And phonographs are easy as you can see which one's you're missing and just look up their locations

Edit: 1 other place some people might miss is a door that you have to lockpick
in the gardens during chapter 11

Thanks will give it a shot, hopefully those are indeed the ones I've missed. I tried my best to search for the collectibles, was actually surprised some stuff escaped my attention.

Why am I getting a vibe that Grayson will travel around the world to save mankind from Half-breed epidemic? lol :)

According to the map in the book Lakshmi and Grayson found, half-breed species are shipped to many places such as European Continent, China, Japan, America and India. So yeah, I guess we will see more locations in the next The Order game. And from what I've seen, America and India are likely to be the most possible.
http://i.imgur.com/Yt4njXc.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/5IaeCRe.jpg

DukeBobby

Just finished chapter 5, and I'm enjoying it more than I was expecting. Gunplay is solid, voice acting is impressive, and the story is somewhat interesting so far. Not to mention the graphics are absolutely outstanding.

I have my qualms, and I doubt it will make my GOTY list (although it could be an honourable mention), but it's definitely an enjoyable romp, kind of like Ryse.

leng jai

The lycan "fights" have to be the worst part of the game. They're so one dimensional, and that that one dimension isn't even close to being fun. The sounds they make become annoying as hell after a while too.

Skux

PowerPyx makes the best collectable guides. Fast, well edited, and easy to follow.

I've taken PowerPyx for granted over the years, and whenever I have to find collectibles I always end up on their videos. Whoever makes them, I hope it's their job.

Why am I getting a vibe that Grayson will travel around the world to save mankind from Half-breed epidemic? lol :)

According to the map in the book Lakshmi and Grayson found, half-breed species are shipped to many places such as European Continent, China, Japan, America and India. So yeah, I guess we will see more locations in the next The Order game. And from what I've seen, America and India are likely to be the most possible.

Awww yeah... the dream of
The Last Samurai Order
is alive.

ron_bato

The lycan "fights" have to be the worst part of the game. They're so one dimensional, and that that one dimension isn't even close to being fun. The sounds they make become annoying as hell after a while too.

Easily the most disappointing aspect of the game for me. I had such high hopes for the lycan fights, that when they were reduced to that one type of encounter, it was such a letdown for me. They were not fun at all.

Completed it, loved it. Took me around 13 hours. A very solid 8 out of ten, I'd buy a sequel in a heartbeat. Let's hope RAD listen to all the sensible constructive critiscism and make the next game something very special indeed!

benzy

Great idea... would be cool to use it to detect weak points or slow down time enough to fight fast supernatural enemies.

Yeah, I also think RAD could learn a bit from RE4 in how to do boss fights properly without taking the controls from the player, and blacksight could be a helpful solution to that. Use blacksight to dodge or attack instead of relying on QTEs or whatever. The Verudo fight in RE4 could have been reworked and expanded on with the Lycans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDU6_A31xCU&t=0m20s

Instead we got this, which had the game basically on rails with auto-run and all you did was a bunch of worthless shooting for a couple seconds. This could have worked as in introduction to show us what we should do when battling the lycan, but we were never given the chance to actually run away from the Lycan with full control of Galahad.

qyemmx.gif

I feel when you take the controls from the player and force the game to basically play for you, much of the tension is lost, you already know you won't die during this part.

What's more disappointing is RAD basically showed you using blacksight during this Lycan battle, but again, you had no control in Galahad's movements, and nothing ever came of this or expanded on in actual gameplay with full control. Instead the next battles we get with the Lycan are the barebones QTE and repeated attack animations for the hand to hand fighting.

oirwvb.gif

vpance

Rebel Ambush on hard WTF how long did that have to be?! It was pretty fun though. Too bad Galahad moves like molasses and can't dodge grenades for shit.

Haines

Banned
I'm almost done the game.

Everything is excellent so far except some of the gameplay is just not tight like something found in a gears game. The controls are too clunky and the button prompts can be infuriating. Also shotgunners are op as fuck.

I would be in for a sequel as everything else is top notch and makes it worth the play.

Also a 1 and done type game. I would get no value from a replay aside from looking at the beautiful texture work.

Also blacksight isn't obvious enough or something. I've played almost the entire game without remembering I have it.

Jigolo

Hope RAD expands on the use of blacksight in a sequel, like incorporating/requiring its use for boss fights or something. Using blacksight to go into slow-mo and detonate an air grenade looks and feels awesome.

cfxkgt.gif

yoooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Do you guys think there is any chance we could possibly get a First Light-esque spin-off/side story released down the line for a lower price? Would allow them to reuse assets and tech and maybe gauge interest in a full blown sequel?

RexNovis

Banned
I could see this, he does however bring up a point about
Isi not even questioning why he would be doing what he is doing. They were supposed to be close yet she turns on him on a dime without questioning anything or giving him the benefit of the doubt

She seems to think he is galavanting around wiht the rebel leader Lakshmi and is very obviously ncensed at even the mention of it when giving her testimony at the round table.

Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned.

Dinjooh

Also blacksight isn't obvious enough or something. I've played almost the entire game without remembering I have it.

Yea I just finished the game and it's only when I read this thread that I remembered that ability, oh well - managed hard playthrough quite easily without.

Blacksight got me killed more often than not. I'd spend most of the slowed time trying to manhandle the auto-targeting into locking on to the armored heavy barreling down my way - and when I would finally manage to finagle the slow auto-reticle to the correct target a lot of the time I'd watch my shots ping off of the enemy's armor without making a kill - my knight-juice would run out and I'd be exposed and taking fire from multiple directions in real time.

I was playing on hard so I wouldn't be surprised if the drain speed of the power was faster than in the normal difficulty - but it never felt like something that could dependably help me turn the tide in battles, so I just learned to go without.

Yeah, I also think RAD could learn a bit from RE4 in how to do boss fights properly without taking the controls from the player, and blacksight could be a helpful solution to that. Use blacksight to dodge or attack instead of relying on QTEs or whatever. The Verudo fight in RE4 could have been reworked and expanded on with the Lycans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDU6_A31xCU&t=0m20s

Instead we got this, which had the game basically on rails with auto-run and all you did was a bunch of worthless shooting for a couple seconds. This could have worked as in introduction to show us what we should do when battling the lycan, but we were never given the chance to actually run away from the Lycan with full control of Galahad.

http://a.pomf.se/qyemmx.gif[/img

I feel when you take the controls from the player and force the game to basically play for you, much of the tension is lost, you already know you won't die during this part.

What's more disappointing is RAD basically showed you using blacksight during this Lycan battle, but again, you had no control in Galahad's movements, and nothing ever came of this or expanded on in actual gameplay with full control. Instead the next battles we get with the Lycan are the barebones QTE and repeated attack animations for the hand to hand fighting.

[img]http://a.pomf.se/oirwvb.gif[/img[/QUOTE]

I guess you're right. The game has the levels, the music and the monsters to scare your pants off, [spoiler]but I did feel they weren't fully utilised to that effect. [/spoiler]

Cloudy

Banned
I'm on chapter 9. This game is pretty good. I really don't understand anything less than an 8/10 score. Yes there are flaws but it's greater than the sum of its parts IMO. I really hope they support the game with DLC

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
I just finished the game on hard. It took me 7 hours 26 minutes. I tried not rushing, and explored. Overall I enjoyed it, though the end was disappointing.

Beat it, love it, want more of it. The
after the credits
scene is O_O
Yea, good stuff.

I don't know about anyone else but I fucking LOVED the ending scene before the credits for some reason (
Galahad standing over Lucan with the pistol). Just a lot of emotions going through me at that point with the solemn music (regret, sadness, anger, indecision).
So good.

Is there any reasonable chance of this getting DLC?

Or should we expect any efforts to be put towards a sequel, assuming they have the green light?

I loved how the game ended, just not when it ended. I was held firm in the game's world and could have gone for twice or three times as much story as we got here, but its hard to complain when considering just how detailed each and every area was, and how super polished every step through that world seemed to be.

Cloudy

Banned
I just finished the game on hard. It took me 7 hours 26 minutes. I tried not rushing, and explored. Overall I enjoyed it, though the end was disappointing.

Did you use a stopwatch too? I would estimate about 8 or 9 hours played and I'm stuck at the warehouse in chapter 9

Cloudy

Banned
I kept track when I started and stopped playing each session with notepad.

The game doesn't feel much different than Uncharted (minus ridiculous enemy swarms) or TLoU to me. Gameplay is not as robust but it's similarly narrative heavy and entertaining. I don't have a problem with the length at all

Top Bottom