• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order: 1886 |OT| Gears of Yore

fastmower

I just finished the game on hard. It took me 7 hours 26 minutes. I tried not rushing, and explored. Overall I enjoyed it, though the end was disappointing.

I explored and took in the sights. It took me about 13 hours on hard. Hmm. Anyways, I really enjoyed the game and I really need a sequel.

I'd say that's very reasonable.
iUeF93Pk0VMJ8.gif

Skux

Blacksight got me killed more often than not. I'd spend most of the slowed time trying to manhandle the auto-targeting into locking on to the armored heavy barreling down my way - and when I would finally manage to finagle the slow auto-reticle to the correct target a lot of the time I'd watch my shots ping off of the enemy's armor without making a kill - my knight-juice would run out and I'd be exposed and taking fire from multiple directions in real time.

The most annoying part is that it broke you out of cover. So you'd end black sight and be standing out in the open holding L1 like a fool while everyone still alive is shooting at you.

cchum

enjoyed it. It has a lot of flaws, but there is good there too. It kinda felt like a vita port at moments though. Mainly the checking of objects and "minigames".

Yea, good stuff.

I don't know about anyone else but I fucking LOVED the ending scene before the credits for some reason (
Galahad standing over Lucan with the pistol). Just a lot of emotions going through me at that point with the solemn music (regret, sadness, anger, indecision).
So good.

I agree here completely. It's unfortunate that so many people say they hate the ending,
especially considering that, thematically, it's pretty much The Dark Knight's ending — (how many disliked that as well?)

The whole scene felt like it conveyed a lot of things:

- The Chancellor's guilt over letting Lucan join the order and even go on to become its head, despite being a lycan.
- Galahad and the Chancellor simultaneously knowing that they are both right and wrong.
- The sense that Lucan actually does care about the order / Comraderie with Galahad / his Father & Isabeau (when you fight him and he's still human, if you miss one of the QTEs and he stabs you he even says sorry).
- The sense that Lucan almost feels at ease that he no longer has to live under the weight of trying to be two things at once that are fiercely opposed to each other.
- Galahad's reluctance.

I won't try to convince anyone who doesn't enjoy it, but I personally feel it was excellent way to round off the story's arc while still leaving ground for future entries.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I agree here completely. It's unfortunate that so many people say they hate the ending,
especially considering that, thematically, it's pretty much The Dark Knight's ending — (how many disliked that as well?)

The whole scene felt like it conveyed a lot of things:

- The Chancellor's guilt over letting Lucan join the order and even go on to become its head, despite being a lycan.
- Galahad and the Chancellor simultaneously knowing that they are both right and wrong.
- The sense that Lucan actually does care about the order / Comraderie with Galahad / his Father & Isabeau (when you fight him and he's still human, if you miss one of the QTEs and he stabs you he even says sorry).
- The sense that Lucan almost feels at ease that he no longer has to live under the weight of trying to be two things at once that are fiercely opposed to each other.
- Galahad's reluctance.

I won't try to convince anyone who doesn't enjoy it, but I personally feel it was excellent way to round off the story's arc while still leaving ground for future entries.
Wouldn't have fell so flat
if we had actually gotten to know Lucan throughout the game instead of spending one stealth mission with him with the plot twist that he's the traitor coming a mile away.

You're having a laugh mate. Game was advertised as a cinematic game, not an interactive movie. You can have plenty of gameplay in a cinematic game, just this game fails on that.
Which is why I said add 2-3 hours of pure gameplay for the sequel to the single player... The cinematics added to the game, other than the few seconds of unnecessary cinematics where it takes control away from the player for no reason. But the longer ones where it adds to the story, world and characters, yeah the length of it was more than fine. If you've got a problem with that, then the Order isn't for you.

AlexIIDX

Just finished...sure there's some flaws. But I really enjoyed it overall...RAD you made a hell of a cinematic experience. I see complaints about the story but I thought it was cool....Very much hoping for a sequel. If they look at the criticism and make some changes it could be amazing.

Edit: the most disappointing part of the game for me were the Lycan encounters. As scary as they looked and sounded, a random guy with a shotgun posed way more of a threat....but I have to say those were some of the most badass looking enemies ive seen in a game. More werewolves please!...and also a bit disappointed that there was no
Vampire fights.

Future

Wouldn't have fell so flat
if we had actually gotten to know Lucan throughout the game instead of spending one stealth mission with him with the plot twist that he's the traitor coming a mile away.

Oddly you spend a good portion of the game that barely matter in the grand scheme of things. Lucan, Hastings, and the rebel leader and maybe the order leader dude were the most relevant characters in terms of story and character motivation. I was actually surprised that the crew you spent time getting so much rapport with became so irrelevant as time went on

cackhyena

I'm just watching the cinematics on YouTube. I'll give it this, it's the best looking game I've ever seen. The detail is staggering. The voice acting is top notch as well. I love the sound design overall. They even have breathing through nostrils as a thing when you're with a lone character. I don't now how, but it adds tension. As a game, doesn't look like much, but I'm loving the atmosphere.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Oddly you spend a good portion of the game that barely matter in the grand scheme of things. Lucan, Hastings, and the rebel leader and maybe the order leader dude were the most relevant characters in terms of story and character motivation. I was actually surprised that the crew you spent time getting so much rapport with became so irrelevant as time went on
I'd say that everyone got too little screen time with which to accurately portray their motivations and personalities more.

Vroadstar

Just finished the game, for me it's one of those games where you just want more 2nd play through later. The way I see it there's going to be a sequel. Can't wait.

jacobeid

Banned
I platinumed the game tonight. I can't believe what RAD put out for their first console game. really great experience overall despite the flaws.

Yea, good stuff.

I don't know about anyone else but I fucking LOVED the ending scene before the credits for some reason (
Galahad standing over Lucan with the pistol). Just a lot of emotions going through me at that point with the solemn music (regret, sadness, anger, indecision).
So good.
The
R2
... Felt good

Darknight

I platinumed the game tonight. I can't believe what RAD put out for their first console game. really great experience overall despite the flaws.

Can you just replay chapter to get the kills,collect audio things etc or do you have to replay the whole game?

BTW I beat it like 20 mins ago. I would give this a thumbs up. MP i still believe would of worked with its good gunplay. Gonna go to the spoiler thread and read up on thangs!

I just finished this. I want to say I really enjoyed this game and I do hope for a 2nd and a 3rd game.
OH SHIT MORE AFTER THE CREDITS!

Can you just replay chapter to get the kills,collect audio things etc or do you have to replay the whole game?

BTW I beat it like 20 mins ago. I would give this a thumbs up. MP i still believe would of worked with its good gunplay. Gonna go to the spoiler thread and read up on thangs!

There is a chapter select after beating it. You can skip through and get what you need.

FenDozer

I have my PS4 setup in my theater room where I utilize my surround sound system. This game was great, except I periodically had issues where some character voices were nearly muted (sounding like they were in a far off cave). Unfortunately, this happened for about the final 2 chapters -- this basically killed a lot of the emotion at the end of the game.

I did some research and found the cause of this seems to be The Order's lack of compatibility with surround sound (only stereo and headset supported).

Has anyone else had a similar problem? If so, any recommendations regarding how to fix it? I would love to fix & replay the final missions. Thanks!

jacobeid

Banned

I used this as a guide:

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/...a/259693-order-1886-trophy-guide-roadmap.html

There are several good spots that they outline to farm trophies. You can just go back to a specific point in the chapter and do whatever you need to do, restart from checkpoint, and repeat until you get the trophy. It took me about an hour to do some cleanup after I beat the game to get the platinum.

However, I was vigilant in using glancing at a collectibles guide every few minutes and crossing off what I collected and what I missed. This made going back for clean up easy, but, if you didn't track it yourself, there's no way to check in the game which collectibles you have or have not interacted with. If that's the case, yeah, you'll probably have to play most most of the game again.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Is there any reasonable chance of this getting DLC?

Or should we expect any efforts to be put towards a sequel, assuming they have the green light?

I would love a companion game like First Light or a DLC scenario. It would be cool if RAD played around with the design some, released more content to get feedback, then used that to build a sequel.

Gold_Loot

One could only imagine how good a "Mercenaries" like sub game could have been with some extra man power. The gun play really screams for it.

Just finished the game.

Loved it despite some problems.

It ended abruptly as I finished my last playthrough on Chapter XIV so there was only 2 chapters left basically and my last playthrough only lasted about an hour, wish there was more!
And damn quite a cliffhanger there! It's a bit of a shame as I hoped that The Order games will be standalones and with sequels/prequels will move on to an other era, but now we desperately need an Order 1887.

I just finished this. I want to say I really enjoyed this game and I do hope for a 2nd and a 3rd game.
OH SHIT MORE AFTER THE CREDITS!

Just finished it myself and I agree. Despite the pacing issues at the start I preferred the second half of the game and I actually like the story. There is alot of information given to you in the game to indicate that the world can be more fleshed out and that the backstory is going to be something that will drive motivations for the next title.

I couldn't help but notice Isa sniffing the air, then I knew what was up when her "brother" started to change. I was just curious about how high it reached and the attitudes of those involved. I still felt bad about taking Alistair out because even in the end he didn't seem like a one note villain.

I did some research and found the cause of this seems to be The Order's lack of compatibility with surround sound (only stereo and headset supported).

Has anyone else had a similar problem? If so, any recommendations regarding how to fix it? I would love to fix & replay the final missions. Thanks!

No. All discrete channels worked well for me. This game has some of the best sound mixing I've heard in this generation.

I played it in DTS 5.1.

orfax

Ok, wow. I finished this game last night, and it was great. I loved the atmosphere, and I loved the pacing of the game (I didn't mind all the cutscenes and QTE at all). The story pulled me in, and I want to see more of it.

Like others have said, I completely forgot about the blacksight until the very end.

Yes it was a bit short, but I can live with it. It still took me about 12 hours to complete on hard though, but I really spent my time looking around.

There were some great vistas and backdrops, so I took a few screenshots, hoping that Sony will allow us to use as backgrounds soon.

I will go back and try and find all the collectables, and should be an easy platinum trophy to get.

The credits were displayed or formatted just like the movie credits are. Cinematic experience right to the end. Going back through some of the chapters to collect the rest of the trophies I missed. It's really a shame that there's very limited replay value, and low list of trophies.

I would love a companion game like First Light or a DLC scenario. It would be cool if RAD played around with the design some, released more content to get feedback, then used that to build a sequel.

I can imagine a First Light style spinoff game where you
play as Marquis during week or so that Galahad is in a coma, where he secretly discovers some shit leading him to side with Galahad in a setup for Order 2

The credits were displayed or formatted just like the movie credits are. Cinematic experience right to the end. Going back through some of the chapters to collect the rest of the trophies I missed. It's really a shame that there's very limited replay value, and low list of trophies.
Cinematic credits have to be unskippable ;)

After getting a new ps4 lol I am currently on chapter 5 and I fucking love it. So atmospheric and the voice acting and lip syncing and gun battles are fucking satisfying :D

My biggest disappointment was the story. It was just not good. Rather boring too. I expected an incredible storyline about the half breeds. Something on the level of Eternal Darkness (one of my favorite games.) I basically got nothing. Where the fuck are the Lycans in the game man? No seriously. Where are they? It was so disappointing.

Everything else about the game was meh, but I could have lived with it had the story been good. I really wanted to love it. It's been one of my most hyped games for these past years. In the end, it just didn't deliver for me. I give props to RAD, I can't imagine how difficult it is to make a new IP with a new engine. Hope they can nail it the next time.

Jeseus

I have my PS4 setup in my theater room where I utilize my surround sound system. This game was great, except I periodically had issues where some character voices were nearly muted (sounding like they were in a far off cave). Unfortunately, this happened for about the final 2 chapters -- this basically killed a lot of the emotion at the end of the game.

i have the same problem :( ... only stereo and headset in menu.

My PS4 is plugged in Yamaha receiver via HDMI using Linear PCM for sound.

RexNovis

Banned
My biggest disappointment was the story. It was just not good. Rather boring too. I expected an incredible storyline about the half breeds. Something on the level of Eternal Darkness (one of my favorite games.) I basically got nothing. Where the fuck are the Lycans in the game man? No seriously. Where are they? It was so disappointing.

Everything else about the game was meh, but I could have lived with it had the story been good. I really wanted to love it. It's been one of my most hyped games for these past years. In the end, it just didn't deliver for me. I give props to RAD, I can't imagine how difficult it is to make a new IP with a new engine. Hope they can nail it the next time.

Ok don't get me wrong I really loved Eternal Darkness but that game's story was a complete mess. It's far as you could get from a tightly constructed narrative. The only reason it works is because it explains so little. The whole concept of the game relied on not trusting what you saw/heard thanks to the insanity metric or whatever it was called. As cool as that game was the story was a confusing incongruous clusterfuck of weird.

So, its baffling to me that I you can elevate the story of Eternal Darkness as incredible and then in the same breath downplay the story of the Order. I feel like I'm crazy. So many talk about how the story in the Order was "so bad." I thought it was great especially as a set up for whatever followup they have in the works.

Ok don't get me wrong I really loved Eternal Darkness but that game's story was a complete mess. It's far as you could get from a tightly constructed narrative. The only reason it works is because it explains so little. The whole concept of the game relied on not trusting what you saw/heard thanks to the insanity metric or whatever it was called. As cool as that game was the story was a confusing incongruous clusterfuck of weird.

So, its baffling to me that I you can elevate the story of Eternal Darkness as incredible and then in the same breath downplay the story of the Order. I feel like I'm crazy. So many talk about how the story in the Order was "so bad." I thought it was great especially as a set up for whatever followup they have in the works.

Hell no. Eternal Darkness had an awesome story. It was filled with history and lore, told over centuries. I remember it fondly. But hey that's just my opinion.

But let's not dwell on that. The story in The Order just doesn't do anything with it's premise. There are barely any Lycan encounters in the game. There is barely any dialog with them. The E3 gameplay made it a point that the Lycan was intelligent, could size you up, could outsmart you. Well they did NOTHING with that. I expected the game to go deep into the Lycan world. Speak to them. See their history, there side of the story for thousands of years. NOTHING. Instead, we get the terribly boring rebel storyline, which also barely has any explanation to it. It's all boring and predictable. And it's all wrapped in this lifeless world with barely any NPC's, no interaction with the world. There wasn't even any cool set pieces. It's just not what I expected. I didn't hate it at all, but it just left me feeling empty.

The game has great characters, with outstanding voice work. Maybe that's why I compared it to Eternal Darkness. But it's nothing like it.

marcincz

Finished The Order: 1886, yesterday after 9h and 20m and...I don't understand underrated reviewers scores. 65% on metacritic is a poor joke.
Graphics is amazing. Soundtrack is great. Story is well written. Gameplay likes in Gears or Uncharted. Very interesting characters, including main hero. So what the f....is going on?! 65% really? I've never ever played in most underrated game in my life. For me it's easily 85%.
What's get on my nerves it's black bars, no reflection of main hero in the mirrors (WTF!?) and some very hard shooting sections (before final battle, for example).
I am waiting for the sequel. Today I am going to start it once again.

Superflat

The story in The Order just doesn't do anything with it's premise. There are barely any Lycan encounters in the game. There is barely any dialog with them. The E3 gameplay made it a point that the Lycan was intelligent, could size you up, could outsmart you. Well they did NOTHING with that. I expected the game to go deep into the Lycan world. Speak to them. See their history, there side of the story for thousands of years. NOTHING. Instead, we get the terribly boring rebel storyline, which also barely has any explanation to it. It's all boring and predictable. And it's all wrapped in this lifeless world with barely any NPC's, no interaction with the world. There wasn't even any cool set pieces. It's just not what I expected. I didn't hate it at all, but it just left me feeling empty.

The game has great characters, with outstanding voice work. Maybe that's why I compared it to Eternal Darkness. But it's nothing like it.

I think a lot of your disappointments are due to different expectations.

I do agree that the absence of Lycans was annoying, but after playing the game it was clear that they were really not meant to be the star of the story, but merely a element. The combat segments with multiple Lycans were pretty damn bad though. The QTE encounters started out cool but they were paper thin and already felt like a repeating loop after the first minute.

The rebel stuff in first half of the game was dreadfully paced and boring compared to the latter half. It may have been fine if the game were several hours longer, but very little happens in the first few hours and it suffers for it. It may also be partly because most of the wow factor in the early areas were unveiled through trailers and videos leading up to release (which is a shame because I would have loved to have the airship location be a surprise). But the story in general was really at a crawl in those sections because I didn't feel that it was doing what it was supposed to do, which was endear me to the supporting cast.

I can't really agree that the story or its elements were predictable though. While they missed a lot of opportunities to make their narrative really shine, I thought the ending had good impact and was a high note for me.

What's get on my nerves it's black bars, no reflection of main hero in the mirrors (WTF!?) and some very hard shooting sections (before final battle, for example).

It is a really weird difficulty spike considering nearly everything that came before it, but I thought that was the most fun section of the game because it actually made you run around to position yourself smartly and use everything you have.

Knuf

Finally started playing last night, and holy crap! dem graphics and atmosphere! The solid gunplay and even the limited exploration in those such gorgeous environments have been really satisfying to me.
I only played a couple of hours, but enjoyed quite a bit of what I've played so far: my only complaint is that even if I'm playing on hard with auto-aim off, the game is still very easy, but oh well, this is a complaint that could probably be made for every AAA game out there.

Yea, good stuff.

So good.

I loved it too.
And it made me rethink my complaints about the excessive use of button prompts. Felt like they overdid that on purpose to make a pointed lack of prompt in that final moment all the more powerful. The story and gameplay conspire together at that point to say "you know what to do" and you pull the trigger. CUT TO BLACK

It's just incredible. I don't want exposition dumps. I don't need everything tied up in a nice little bow. It's a messy, bold, emotional ending.

I loved it too.
And it made me rethink my complaints about the excessive use of button prompts. Felt like they overdid that on purpose to make a pointed lack of prompt in that final moment all the more powerful. The story and gameplay conspire together at that point to say "you know what to do" and you pull the trigger. CUT TO BLACK

It's just incredible. I don't want exposition dumps. I don't need everything tied up in a nice little bow. It's a messy, bold, emotional ending.

Just checking...
Could you press R2 as soon as it cut to that side shot? I waited long enough that the game actually prompted me to hit R2 - but it sounds like you could do it before the prompt?

Top Bottom