• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order: 1886 |OT| Gears of Yore

Superflat

Anyway, I hope they figure something out for the sequel to The Order. They nailed the feel of the aiming and shooting part in my opinion. It's just the combat scenarios are not very interesting at all.

I feel the same, aside from some of the close/mid range automatic weapons, but I suppose most weapons of that type are supposed to feel kinda lousy.

The revolvers, shotgun, carbine, and sniper rifle felt nearly as satisfying as TLOU to fire, which is very high praise. The scenarios though I agree needed a LOT of work. It was mostly flat terrain with enemies spawning out of corners of the map, and they had very predictable/stupid behaviors. There was no room or reason to move out of line of sight, or have battles play out all that dynamic or especially interesting in any way.

No. TLOU gameplay is superior to Gears IMO. Gears focus on cutscenes is as much as TLOU - the only difference is they are worse. Uncharted 2 has way more combat options than any gears sp campaign and has much better level design. There is a reason both these games have had universal acclaim and are frequently mentioned in best game of the generation lists.

Anyways I think I should stop because it is an Order OT afterall.

I respectfully disagree with just about every post of yours regarding Gears of War. Perhaps a dedicated, competitive third-person just isn't for you?

You like a variety of systems, which TLoU provides, but do not try to belittle the former because you do not appreciate its complexity and skillset as a hardcore TPS.

Gears of War is a billion dollar franchise, with every main installment rated in the 90s. The series has won several GOTY awards itself and has a loyal fan base.

Just because you want it to be something it isn't (hence you created a thread calling for crafting and other gameplay changes which was swiftly shotdown by everyone) doesn't mean it doesn't hold up.

Gears of War and TLoU/UC are going after completely different audiences and have completely different ambitions.

One detail i noticed yesterday while playing The Order for the first time: while rapelling the
Airship Agamemnon
, you can see the feet of your knights penetrating the hull a bit...i mean, come on, the developers thought about nearly everything! It seems so odd that there are no reflections of the player in mirrors, and i´d have loved to see the more destructible environments/objects that RAD showed of to the press some time ago.

Must feel like a slap in the face and a massive punch in the groin for RAD to read all those excessively negative reviews. I myself feel sorry for everyone missing out on this technical marvel. I´m really enyoing my playthrough and recommend it to every PS4 owner.

Finished it last night, my thoughts on the games:

Positives
- gameplay (the shooting) was excellent, heavy and could feel every impact
- story was really solid and enjoyable
- graphics were incredible
- characters, voice acting and the lore/world were excellent
- the actual cinematic element worked for the most part.

Negatives
- game seems to lose focus near the end, and pacing falls apart at this point.
-
plot holes- why didn't Galahad tell layfayette and izzy about the Lycans and vampires infiltrating the order, they would have believed him.
-
Lycan combat Is disappointing and a waste, as is the fact you do not get to fight vampires
- encounters with enemies were pretty bad generally, usually just stand in a spot and shoot enemies as they spawn into an area, very boring often.
- lack of enemy variety, RAD have created an incredible world yet we fight humans 95% of the time.

Overall a solid 7.5/10 for me. Has the potential to be an incredible franchise.

Tips for Rad for the sequel (fingers crossed)

- improve enemy variety, we should fight a whole legion of supernatural monsters, from Lycans to gargoyles, to Mr Jekyll style beasts.
- improve weapon variety, more science guns would be great, arc rifle and thermite rifle were great.
- more open areas to explore the world, like in the last of us.
- include more interesting things on the items to pick up, so many times I would pick it up and just put it down instantly.
- encounter design needs to be vastly improved, the game felt like a turkey shoot, just shooting enemies as soon as they spawned into an uninteresting and unvaried combat zone. Offer different routes for the player to attack the enemy.
- carful of pacing and ensure that chapters do not pass too quickly or that there are too many different cutscenes changing quickly, makes the game feel disjointed.
- I can't stress that this should be a game primarily about fighting 19th century supernatural beasts, and this offers great opportunity for co-op hunting. Imagine you and 3 friends chasing monsters through London into Westminster and the Houses of Parliament.
- multiplayer would also be great and offer much for the longevity of the game.

Overall a really enjoyed the game, despite the fact it began to fall down near the end. Great effort from RAD for their first AAA console game, and hoping for a sequel.

It's a pretty common complaint with TLOU. Especially on here. I loved the game, but I find the gunplay a chore. It won't hold up years down the line like gears and vanquish will. But yea, not the thread for this discussion.

I've never understood this stance concerning TLOU. I don't know if I've played another game where the guns feel as dangerous as that game, or where the combat feels so believably scrappy and tense. It will absolutely hold up unless ND tops themselves with a sequel, or another dev picks up where they left off.

EDIT: But this ain't even the thread, so........

Can someone help me out to find out what chapter ( or section in a chapter) the following is in. I've completed the game but I'm just going over certain parts again.

Anyway, I need to know
where you first receive and get to use the thermite rifle. I think you also have to set charges on the train tracks above.

Positives
- gameplay (the shooting) was excellent, heavy and could feel every impact
- story was really solid and enjoyable
- graphics were incredible
- characters, voice acting and the lore/world were excellent
- the actual cinematic element worked for the most part.

Negatives
-
plot holes- why didn't Galahad tell layfayette and izzy about the Lycans and vampires infiltrating the order, they would have believed him.
-
Lycan combat Is disappointing and a waste, as is the fact you do not get to fight vampires
- encounters with enemies were pretty bad generally, usually just stand in a spot and shoot enemies as they spawn into an area, very boring often.
- lack of enemy variety, RAD have created an incredible world yet we fight humans 95% of the time.

Overall a solid 7.5/10 for me. Has the potential to be an incredible franchise.

Tips for Rad for the sequel (fingers crossed)

- improve enemy variety, we should fight a whole legion of supernatural monsters, from Lycans to gargoyles, to Mr Jekyll style beasts.
- improve weapon variety, more science guns would be great, arc rifle and thermite rifle were great.
- more open areas to explore the world, like in the last of us.
- include more interesting things on the items to pick up, so many times I would pick it up and just put it down instantly.
- encounter design needs to be vastly improved, the game felt like a turkey shoot, just shooting enemies as soon as they spawned into an uninteresting and unvaried combat zone. Offer different routes for the player to attack the enemy.
- carful of pacing and ensure that chapters do not pass too quickly or that there are too many different cutscenes changing quickly, makes the game feel disjointed.
- I can't stress that this should be a game primarily about fighting 19th century supernatural beasts, and this offers great opportunity for co-op hunting. Imagine you and 3 friends chasing monsters through London into Westminster and the Houses of Parliament.
- multiplayer would also be great and offer much for the longevity of the game.

Overall a really enjoyed the game, despite the fact it began to fall down near the end. Great effort from RAD for their first AAA console game, and hoping for a sequel.

I just finished the game and agree with all these points.

I really enjoyed it however the ending felt a bit rushed to me and could have been made a little longer, maybe another chapter of gameplay before the final chapter.

However if RAD address many of the common issues people have with the game then we could be in for a very good sequal.

Conduit

Banned

Negatives
-

Check Chapter 10 again, man!

Not this time, Isi

-

Why you should fight with
vampires!?
This is stupid reason to give game a minus.

I don't know on which difficulty you played the game, but on hard you can't rush into fight. They will slaughter you like cheese. Enemy will try to flank you, switch from cover to cover. Some games have no sense for playing it on Normal. On Hard you will get better gameplay experience.

Yes, you fight humans all the time. You fight against Rebellion and United India Company's people. You have more variety of enemies. I don't know what you expect. Dragons!?

McFadge

Just finished the game. Really slow at the start, but it picks up and I found I enjoyed the combat even though the encounters get repetitive. I felt the story left a lot to be desired, with a great world without much insight and and ending that doesn't resolve much. There were also some times that I wondered how the characters were okay with what they were doing.
This is mostly during the sections where Galahad plays on the opposite side. He follows Lakshmi to find 'proof' of the Hasting's dirty dealings, but is coy to say what it is, insisting he follows her. Until they get there, Galahad has no hesitation dropping guards left, right and centre. Similarly when Galahad and Lucan infiltrate Hasting's residence, Lucan mentions something about not harming the guards, but then sits back (later participates?) in killing many of them. I realise this is fine for Lucan, as he's revealed to be a villain by the end, but I'm surprised this didn't tip Galahd off at all.
Collectables in the game with no means of tracking is also a massive and incredibly annoying oversight - praying it can be patched in. Sitting here now, having finished, I don't regret my purchase, but I wouldn't recommend it to others. I'm not particularly looking forward going through the chapters to try to find whatever I missed, and that's the only thing left for me to do.

McFadge

Wait... What? I can't even.

I felt that regret was too harsh a word... I'm a bit disappointed, and that's with me getting more out of it because I can appreciate the work that went into it. I wouldn't recommend it to just anybody.

Conduit

Banned
Not really, the game has
two types
of enemies, adding another wouldn't have hurt.

Actually, you have 2 types, but more variety of enemies.
Lycans and you have Rebellion snipers, bombers, shotgunners, heavy armored shotgunners, heavy armored termite rifleman, and United India Company's soldiers

Check Chapter 10 again, man!

Not this time, Isi

Why you should fight with
vampires!?
This is stupid reason to give game a minus.

I don't know on which difficulty you played the game, but on hard you can't rush into fight. They will slaughter you like cheese. Enemy will try to flank you, switch from cover to cover. Some games have no sense for playing it on Normal. On Hard you will get better gameplay experience.

Yes, you fight humans all the time. You fight against Rebellion and United India Company's people. You have more variety of enemies. I don't know what you expect. Dragons!?

1. Still doesn't explain the plot hole.
2. Because fighting
vampires
would be bloody awesome!
3. I played on normal, and encounters felt like whack a mole, I didn't rush in but would just shoot as many as I could then drop down behind cover to replenish health and reload as more enemies spawned in. There were very few dynamic encounters.

The variety of enemies extends to humans, shotgun humans and armoured humans. In a world were we could be fighting a whole manner of supernatural beasts this is a bit disappointing to me.

Your dragons comment is odd because I gave two examples of more beasts to fight in my review comment: gargoyles and mr Jekyll monsters.

Neokash

Neo Member
Seems quite clear that the game has got fans and that the fans want more variety and action in terms of gameplay,set pieces encounters,lycan fights. Hope RAD realizes it and put work on it. What will be the point of making a sequel if to not add more gameplay, which I am very happy ND is doing to Uncherted 4.

Tratorn

I finished the game and would like to find the rest of the collectibles. But since there isn't any ingame help to see where I missed some of them, it's kinda painful.

Are there some collectibles that are harder to find and get missed often?

I've never understood this stance concerning TLOU. I don't know if I've played another game where the guns feel as dangerous as that game, or where the combat feels so believably scrappy and tense. It will absolutely hold up unless ND tops themselves with a sequel, or another dev picks up where they left off.

I agree with you. I think frequently when reviewers complain about the gameplay in PS3 shooters they actually just didn't like the controller. I think some also get frustrated by not being able to "perfect" a level with stealth. But that's an anathema to TLOU's core design around improvisation when shit goes down.

Footos22

Just finished the game. Really slow at the start, but it picks up and I found I enjoyed the combat even though the encounters get repetitive. I felt the story left a lot to be desired, with a great world without much insight and and ending that doesn't resolve much. There were also some times that I wondered how the characters were okay with what they were doing.
This is mostly during the sections where Galahad plays on the opposite side. He follows Lakshmi to find 'proof' of the Hasting's dirty dealings, but is coy to say what it is, insisting he follows her. Until they get there, Galahad has no hesitation dropping guards left, right and centre. Similarly when Galahad and Lucan infiltrate Hasting's residence, Lucan mentions something about not harming the guards, but then sits back (later participates?) in killing many of them. I realise this is fine for Lucan, as he's revealed to be a villain by the end, but I'm surprised this didn't tip Galahd off at all.
Collectables in the game with no means of tracking is also a massive and incredibly annoying oversight - praying it can be patched in. Sitting here now, having finished, I don't regret my purchase, but I wouldn't recommend it to others. I'm not particularly looking forward going through the chapters to try to find whatever I missed, and that's the only thing left for me to do.
Galahad mentions not killing anyone. But then they get seen and are fired upon so that goes out the window.

Gonna disagree wirh you, the gunplay is awful in TLOU jiaf like the uncharted games. They are a chore to play through in that regard. But gameplay is not the focus in those games the cutscenes and plots are the bigger focus. Gears on the other hand is a blast to play

Not even remotely true. Every possible thing that makes for great gunplay is evident in TLOU. Excellent feedback, controls and mobility. You can prefer Gears and I wouldn't think twice but saying its awful means you must have an axe to grind.

But when you buy digital you don't own anything either. The game can disappear from your account at any time. It shouldn't but it could if sony decides you violated the Eula or something.

And I have to say, I will get up and change disks once in a while to save $54. That convenience to me isn't worth much.

Ayy bra some of us folk live in third world countries where new games show up after 6 months lmao. Digital is a god send for me for games I really want to play at release.

Seems quite clear that the game has got fans and that the fans want more variety and action in terms of gameplay,set pieces encounters,lycan fights. Hope RAD realizes it and put work on it. What will be the point of making a sequel if to not add more gameplay, which I am very happy ND is doing to Uncherted 4.

Yup I just hope that the fans, which I am a part of, are enough to get a sequel green lit with enough sales.

RAD have a great chance to create something truly remarkable with a next game seeing as their engine is in place and once gameplay, lycan fights and set pieces like you say, are beefed up.

anothertech

The fact that shotgunners are more ominous than the lycans is a major misstep.
the 2 actual encounters with lycans were exactly the same. Kind of silly to make the encounters with the monsters so bland

DryvBy

I had to wait until this weekend to play and finally did. Here's my playlist of beating this game on hard. I thought on hard, I'd be done within 8-9 hours but I was done well before then clocking in at 6 hours, or 8 to Platinum.

I really enjoyed the game. It blew me away that the game was running real time the entire thing with hardly any frame rate dips. It was definitely a more run-of-the-mill shooter but I was fine with it being that way. I really didn't get the big complaint about it being a QTE-heavy game. It wasn't. There was less QTE than God of War or just about as much QTE as a Call of Duty game. I expected a lot more of it, so I'm glad I was disappointed in that area.

I wouldn't call this my game of the year or anything. In fact, given that I installed it and uninstalled it in one day is more than enough to say I can understand people wanting to wait on this. It was just a fun game that looked really good and did what it set out to do: make a TPS and a long movie.

derExperte

Finished yesterday and already have a hard times remembering what I did in the game. Was alright but the only thing that'll stick are the nice visuals (as long as you don't move, then motion blur plus 30fps will brutally murder iq), attention to details is remarkable but even that got old since everything started to look samey. The rest is just there, not outright bad except the horrible lycan fights but nothing stands out. I don't even think the gunfights were much fun, maybe I shouldn't have played on hard (which wasn't really hard, one more difficulty above would make sense) so I could've acted more offensively but the arenas were too small for tactical movement and the ai too dumb anyway while more expansive sections were only used to walk through. Hit feedback and shooting itself wasn't nearly as good as some GIFs made it look either. Especially noticeable with that armored dude. Which also was the height of enemy 'variety'. So 5-6/10 sounds about right. Still I'd be up for an overall improved sequel in which they move out of London, the premise/setting has its charms.

DryvBy

Finished yesterday and already have a hard times remembering what I did in the game. Was alright but the only thing that'll stick are the nice visuals (as long as you don't move, then motion blur plus 30fps will brutally murder iq), attention to details is remarkable but even that got old since everything started to look samey. The rest is just there, not outright bad except the horrible lycan fights but nothing stands out. I don't even think the gunfights were much fun, maybe I shouldn't have played on hard (which wasn't really hard, one more difficulty above would make sense) so I could've acted more offensively but the arenas were too small for tactical movement and the ai too dumb anyway while more expansive sections were only used to walk through. Hit feedback and shooting itself wasn't nearly as good as some GIFs made it look either. Especially noticeable with that armored dude. Which also was the height of enemy 'variety'. So 5-6/10 sounds about right. Still I'd be up for an overall improved sequel in which they move out of London, the premise/setting has its charms.

I'm thinking that's the setup too. Asia or the USA seemed to be the next move.

16BitNova

Please let there be a sequel. I loved this game. This had everything I love in a good game. Great story, great characters, great atmosphere and setting, great music, solid gameplay. My only complaint was that it was a bit shorter than I would have wanted it. But, it wasn't terribly short. The ending was great in my opinion and definitely sets up the franchise in a great way. This could easily become one of my favorite series. Thank you RAD, amazing, I clapped once the credits started rolling. Keep em coming.

Gestault

It's a pretty common complaint with TLOU. Especially on here. I loved the game, but I find the gunplay a chore. It won't hold up years down the line like gears and vanquish will. But yea, not the thread for this discussion.

Oddly enough, I thought the resource gathering in TLOU (probably a different "chore" than you were talking about) is what helped make things feel cohesive for me in an adventure context. It played into the hunter-gatherer sort of setting, and I really appreciated it. I almost wish there was some pretense for that to be present in the Order, just as a way to make better use of the environments built for the game.

Not even remotely true. Every possible thing that makes for great gunplay is evident in TLOU. Excellent feedback, controls and mobility. You can prefer Gears and I wouldn't think twice but saying its awful means you must have an axe to grind.

I thought gunplay was bad, people complained from the very beginning the aiming was bad. What I thought made MP fun was the survival aspect and most people knew to stick together or get killed. Some things like listening through walls i thought were cheap at first but it added to the game, it made people more wary. Anyways I'm off topic.

McFadge

Galahad mentions not killing anyone. But then they get seen and are fired upon so that goes out the window.

Yeah, but I feel at that point Galahad doesn't really have reason to trust Lakshmi. He even continues to contend with her once they reach the warehouse with the containers. The fact he is fired upon and immediately flips to kill everyone mode is strange to me.

Hugstable

Banned
Oddly enough, I thought the resource gathering in TLOU (probably a different "chore" than you were talking about) is what helped make things feel cohesive for me in an adventure context. It played into the hunter-gatherer sort of setting, and I really appreciated it. I almost wish there was some pretense for that to be present in the Order, just as a way to make better use of the environments built for the game.

Yup this is the exact thing that made me fall in love with Last of Us. I don't think the overall story is that great even if the narrative, characters and dialog is top-notch, but the survival and resource gathering gameplay just grips the hell out of me and it makes it easily one of my favorite games because of it. I love that feeling of constantly worrying whether the next area will have the materials I need for another med-kit and such. The Order is fun so far, but it feels like it's missing something gameplay systems wise.

Also I definitely don't agree with the guns in The Order feeling better and more powerful than The Last of Us. I've been playing both games side to side these last 2 days, and Order doesn't even get close to the powerful sounding guns in TLoU

Should be done with The Order by today, left off on Chapter 11 last night. Fun gam, but very basic and I understand the 6.5 metacritic. So much missed oppurtunites that keep holding the game back. Usually I would be excited for a sequel like I would with Knack since there is much room for improvement, but the dev linking to that one review made me lose hope already in an improved sequel.

Oh well game has been fun so far for what it is. Will write up a detailed review once I finish the game. Also sorry for any spelling errors, trying to learn to type on some new phone I just got.

FeiRR

Banned
I played through it on hard. I didn't track my time but it took 3 evenings to go through (with a friend watching it through SharePlay). The game is short but I'm not disappointed because I knew what I was getting. The story is entertaining but it's not TLOU level of greatness. I loved the fact they don't explain you almost anything, big plus for that. Games nowadays are too obvious, just like Hollywood films.

The graphics are insane. I've seen many games and other realtime pieces on consoles and high-end PCs but this is something else. A few times I had a quite odd feeling that I was controlling an animated sequence. Never had this feeling before. Sound is also great, animation not so much. Galahad's walk/run is great but other characters turn 180 instantly and it just looks out of the place when combined with that graphics. Also facial animation isn't as good as, for example, Infamous:SS. I launched it for a moment to compare and... what a shock, Infamous doesn't look that good now but the faces are still so much better. I'm not even comparing it to TLOU where you feel the weight of running, turning, etc. They should work on that.

Gameplay wise I'm left with a desire for more. Mechanics are simple but efficient, guns feel very natural but there should be more ways to approach enemies. When then can, they flank you, which is good, but you have nowhere to run. Battle encounters should have happened in bigger areas. The engine/console could handle it, no problem, just take
the dock/ship
level into account. Playing on hard got me stuck for a few minutes in 2 or 3 places, mainly agains shotgunners. There should also be more stationary weapons like that
artillery on the bridge.
Variety would add much to it. I also feel that a knight should be more powerful in encounters. I'd like to go amidst enemies, guns blazing, melee them but you get shot (on hard) so quickly, you have to stay behind cover and pick them one by one. At the very end, I mean the last encounter with multiple enemies, I killed most of them and then went forward. The air was lit by bullets and termite and it was a really good moment. I'd want more of those.

What really let me down was almost no use of the soft body physics engine. I was very hyped for that and imagined countless possibilities you could use it. Destruction is limited to set pieces, objects on the ground are rubbery, cloth moves nicely but it's not shown much, there's no armour deformation of any kind. Maybe lack of time, maybe technical problems, who knows. So, not this time, damn.

I took my time with the game, searching for every object/cylinder/etc. I could find. I still missed some and it's really a bummer you can't track them. Also the fact that you can't skip cutscenes is annoying. I rarely play games more than once so I'll just wait for a patch or give it a few months before I get this easy platinum.

RAD, you have your engine now. Go and make a bigger, better and more matured game. Be the Sucker Punch of this generation for Sony. If I could dream, I'd want an adventure game with that engine, level of graphics, even the universe is a perfect fit. But I know adventure games aren't AAA anymore.

One thing which bugs me a lot from the plot:
What happened to the Queen?

Edit: I forgot - the idea for steampunk "hacking" was really cool but it was way too easy and why it didn't use the motion controls, I have no idea.

Played on Hard.

Time: 9h 45m (yes I used the stop watch on my phone)
(1h 30m of that time was played on remote play on my xperia Z3 tablet and it was awesome!)

Didn't find everything :(
Few sections were frustrating to me where I died multiple times.

Loved the lore and characters and story.
Loved the gunplay. I feel it was top notch.

But there's still so much room for improvement. I really really want a sequel, but it has to improve on this game. More gadgets. More side opportunities to use them. More variety in the gameplay. Better stealth. Etc.

But overall I enjoyed it. Give it a solid 8.0
Definitely does not deserve those 1's and 2's it got. Not at all. I feel those were click bait scores.

Grisby

So...the Order 1886 isn't very good. Rather, I guess I should say that it is a very mediocre and forgettable experience. I beat it about a week or so ago and wanted to think it over for a while.

The game doesn't give itself enough of a chance to be good. There's the short game length combined with the handful of enemy encounters, and then there's the level design that feels extremely constrained by the cinematic desires of RAD. The actual gunplay is decent, although it is very, very simple. The level design is very rudimentary and the more closed areas don't leave a lot of room for flanking. However, it didn't bug me as much as it probably should have because the weapons were fun, the controls were tight, and, I admit, the crazy graphics make hiding behind cover more intense. It just looks that good.

The encounter designs aren't that memorable themselves and the AI isn't very good but I still liked popping out of cover and getting a headshot or two. The controls are tight, and there is a relatively nice to feel to the handling of the shooting. Make no mistake though, this is not on the same quality level as Gears, Uncharted, or really, any of the last couple of triple AAA TP'S that have come out in the last few years. Then again though, it's not trying to be those games. RAD was pretty clear form their comments that they were going after a cinematic approach, putting story first and gameplay a clear second. I guess that's what makes it all the more frustrating when you realize the story could have been told just as well with a lot more added gameplay elements thrown in. As it stand, the Order tries to split itself between two genres and it doesn't accomplish either side very well.

The regular encounters with the human enemies are standard stuff, but the weapons (that shotgun) make it a bit more interesting. It's sad that a lot of cool weapons with secondary fire don't get used that much (air blast on the rifle, thermite gun). The werewolf fights are the definition of dumb (gonna run straight at you) but hey, it's something different for this game.

But you know, maybe I would have had more of an opinion on it if there had been more on display. Filling up your already short game with two boring ass stealth sequences is baffling.

The pacing is off, some chapters are cinematics only, and then there are the after mentioned stealth levels. My favorite level was the (late chapter)
bridge scene
because you can get a feeling of what RAD would have done had they given this game a proper game design.

Graphics are top notch. They look crazy at points, although I could have done without that dark rainy chapter because, well, you don't really get to see that much. Still, these are some of the best graphics I've ever seen. The detail on the weapons, lighting, and other objects are crazy. The music is good, although nothing is particular memorable for me outside of the one late game track and the ending credits theme.

The story is fun, and the take on the Arthurian legend is really cool. Unfortunately, I feel like they don't go into the history with the Order enough or even spend a lot of time with them as they spend to much time with the rebels. You don't get to hang with your team that much either, which is a shame because I liked the Marquee and Isabelle. Galahad is a good lead, and his VA, really all of the VA, is enjoyable.

So yeah, I feel disappointed in how the Order turned out. There were some neat bits, and the story is pretty good. I would check out a sequel but I would rent first, or possibly wait on a sale. There is no reason to go back, no MP of any kind (RAD had a somewhat solid base for an MP design, they should have at least tried it), no extra art to collect or anything to touch after the credits roll. I feel like I got done watching a movie, but one that was $60 instead of the usual $10.

It's a mediocre game, and although I had some flashes of fun here and thereI hope RAD goes back to the drawing board for the sequel. They're a talented team for sure, and there are some decent foundation points to build off of.

Jito

Banned
The gunplay in this game is so good. Just finishied chapter 7 and I cant believe that
Sebestien is dead :(

Yeh there was lots of charcter building to make it hit hard when he died
/s

Really they shouldn't have killed anyone off in this game and built up characters to kill in a sequel, makes it hit harder.

Yeah, but I feel at that point Galahad doesn't really have reason to trust Lakshmi. He even continues to contend with her once they reach the warehouse with the containers. The fact he is fired upon and immediately flips to kill everyone mode is strange to me.

I found this extrememly odd as well, he really just
asks for her to show him evidence, kills his way into the docks to get evidence.

TLoU is a stealth game, not a shooter. if you played it as a shooter, i could understand the complaints because it's a weak shooter. it's a fantastic stealth game though.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I felt that regret was too harsh a word... I'm a bit disappointed, and that's with me getting more out of it because I can appreciate the work that went into it. I wouldn't recommend it to just anybody.

I agree. I certainly don't regret the purchase and I'm even playing through it a second time, but I certainly wouldn't recommend it to any of my average gamer friends. This is really a game for people who want to ogle at and appreciate fine craftsmanship and advanced graphical techniques being executed extremely skillfully. It turns out that I also really enjoy the setting, characters, and story, too, so that's great for me, but certainly won't apply to everyone. Otherwise I find the game pretty unremarkable, so it's hard to recommend in that respect.

The fact that shotgunners are more ominous than the lycans is a major misstep.
the 2 actual encounters with lycans were exactly the same. Kind of silly to make the encounters with the monsters so bland

I think it was
three total encounters, actually.
The fact that they couldn't be arsed to even create
more than a single level layout for each of these encounters and instead just copy/pasted them with different textures
was one of the most disappointing things I encountered. Did they not expect that people would notice or something? Really shows how much they cared about the Lycans in terms of gameplay.

Edit: I forgot - the idea for steampunk "hacking" was really cool but it was way too easy and why it didn't use the motion controls, I have no idea.

That could have been cool. Tilt the controller left and right to move the balls within the mercury tubes. Lock them in place with L3/R3. Would have definitely felt more involved.

TLoU is a stealth game, not a shooter. if you played it as a shooter, i could understand the complaints because it's a weak shooter. it's a fantastic stealth game though.

It's a damn good shooter, too. You just have to be conservative with ammo in a lot of situations since it's supposed to be a survival game (at least for most of the game).

Gestault

I get the feeling many who frequent that genre would disagree with you on that point. I misread, thought you were talking about the Order and was honestly confused.

hydruxo

I finished the game and would like to find the rest of the collectibles. But since there isn't any ingame help to see where I missed some of them, it's kinda painful.

Are there some collectibles that are harder to find and get missed often?

Here's the guide I used for the collectibles. He's got videos for the other chapters too.

Definitely sucked having to try and remember which ones you got and which ones you didn't. It was a silly oversight for them to not put some sort of tracker for collectibles in the game.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I'm through Chapter X. I have been really wanting to post my impressions but they have been changing as I play more. I'm playing in small chunks due to outside commitments. Generally, I like the game, but I see a lot of room for improvement.

Obviously, they nailed pretty much every aspect of the presentation. The graphics, animation, and attention to detail are unprecedented. The music is rich, textured, and scored appropriately to each scene. Genuinely I am impressed more and more with each scene as I play along. Truly this is a new bar for real time rendering in console software. The thing that really sticks out to me is the brutality of everything. Stabbing people through the throat, snipers destroying people's extremities, blood everywhere, people (and monsters) curb stomping each other, etc. My bones ache playing this game. It feels cold and dirty. Just superlative stuff here and they deserve every ounce of praise they have gotten for how the game looks.

Narratively, I am pretty sure I know where this is going, but it's not that bad. By game standards, it's probably a titch above standard in that things seem to at least make sense. It's a bunch of cliches, but cliches are safe so they should be expected to work. It's done about as well as a sci-fi mashup of
vampires and werewolves in steampunk London in 1886
I suppose could be. For so much talk about how important the story is, though, I'm surprised they played it so safe. On top of that, though, I have some issues with consistency. Still, I guess it's a page-turner.

I'm only through Chapter 10 so you can read through here if you are beyond that:

Why are the Knights so outwardly hostile towards the guards and workers on the Agamemnon when later Galahad is so reserved about killing the United India Company guards? He has no idea which guards have been replaced with rebels and which are truly innocent people. Why not just knock them out? Why stab them through the throat?

Why does Galahad so quickly go from holding a gun to Lakshmi's head to carrying her water?

Does the game ever actually tell you the name of Lakshmi or do you just read it from the Directives?

Why do so many characters say, "Later I'll tell you." No, tell me now. It seems inconsistent with Galahad's personality. Why does he settle for that? Then later he tells Isi "not now" when she asks him what he's doing.

What I'm impressed by is how natural and well developed the relationship between the main cast feels. I was pretty put off by how heavy handed it was at first, particularly between Isi and Galahad. I mean, the YOU ARE OLD and I AM NOT trope works, so that's fine, but compare how the game does it here to how it's done in Skyfall, for example. Q and Bond exchange little quips for 2 minutes. Then later in the film, you are shown the implications of immaturity and strong-headedness on the part of the young genius and shown the implications of being, uh, old and dusty instead of just having it repeated by one of the main characters over and over again. I was surprised, then, when the game reveals the true nature of their relationship. That took me for a little surprise. I liked how well hidden it was but how real it felt once you learned about it. The little interaction they had on the airship ("Do it for me") felt genuine and heartfelt. I think the dialogue in general is pretty strong. I think it'd be bolstered if the characters talked to one another about non-combat, game things. One of the most humanizing things about Uncharted 2's cast is just how they talk to one another. Chloe tells Drake she's "hungry" at one point. Why? Because people get hungry. You can really believe there's a relationship between the two of them. They're real people with real personalities.
Lakshmi, on the other hand is basically a plot device set to serve a purpose. She's not a person. She doesn't mean anything to the player.

The guns all feel exceptional and unique. This is probably the first "Sony Shooter" where you can say without exceptions that they nailed the "gunplay." It's just a shame they don't do much with it. The early combat arenas, if you want to call them that, offer minimal player choice and basically consist of some cover and one or two entrance points through which bad guys stream in. There's little verticality or optionality in any of the environments. Very little is interactive. Sometimes I feel like this game's big combat setpieces are things other games give you in-between combat arenas. The best you can say is that they're unremarkable. Things have picked up a bit. You get more uninterrupted combat and more versatile arenas, but this is very clearly the first time they've tried to design a game like this. There's a "BRIDGE SETPIECE" like there is in basically every other shooter and that's 3 or so hours into the game. That's the first time I think I enjoyed a combat set piece. There's one in Chapter 3 I think where you have a wall and a little guard house and enemies just come STREAMING out of the distance and don't stop for what seems like forever. You have little mobility and your AI partner basically shits himself and doesn't do a damn thing. I couldn't believe how simplistic it all seemed.

That's so disappointing to me because of how GREAT the weapons actually feel to fire. Like, wow, they absolutely nailed the vibration, the sound, the accuracy, etc. Gosh, the sound the thermite pellets make after you fire them but before you detonate them. Scintillating. Things have been getting better (and I think Chapter IX was really fun), but it's just odd to me.

The level design is disappointing. There are so many dead ends. I love exploring the little nooks and crannies that are so slavishly detailed because they look great, but there's no reason to do so. Unlike many other linear games, they don't give you enough leash to make you believe these are lived-in environments. Whitechapel is the most conveniently destroyed linear slum I've ever seen. The Agamemnon's quarters open up a bit and that feels like it could be a real place. I guess again it's just the early game's oppressiveness that are going to poison most players. They needed to do a better job of making the environments feel lived-in.

The QTEs haven't been as bad as I was expecting. I absolutely hate MASH QTEs and I have no sympathy for them here, but I can't really remember any egregiously long sequence or anything. The branching QTEs are kinda neat.

I think the game's "cinema like" ambitions sometimes hurt it and sometimes help it. In the early game, they serve to disrupt the pacing and disorient the player. Do I really need to see a cutscene of the crew walking down a hallway? Or climbing down a ladder? Why does the game so often take OUT of gameplay what so often makes a good gameplay scenario? Chapter 9 has a "take out the guard" stealth moment. But once you walk to the guard, a cutscene triggers, you're spotted, and then the AI character knocks the guard out. Why was this a cutscene? Then there are other times when you're really immersed in a particular scene or something where they take control away from the player to frame something at a dramatic angle or with some great kinetic energy and it works so well. I love what they do with the camera in this game in general. The FOV is great. The camera seems almost intelligent; it just knows how to frame a shot. Very cool.

In general the game uses its cinema-like qualities to take control away from the player rather than enhance it, which is at odds with what other cinematic studios are trying to do and why I think the game isn't as good as it could be.

The lycan fights are dreadful. Total miss. Well, actually, not totally true. I thought the first encounter with
The Elder
was well done. Really tense. And you do genuinely feel how powerful the thing is. And it's just quite scary. But it's also super scripted, which is fine, but they needed to find a way to take the tension they were able to direct and translate that into the regular encounters with the lycans. They failed.

I'm interested to know how they designed the game. Was it linearly? Did they work on the beginning in the beginning or was it out of order? It feels like the game design evolves over time, which I suspect could be expected given that this is their first shooter and they "got better" at is as time went along.

I like the game and I think generally on a moment to moment basis it feels good to play (despite starting really very poorly), but clearly there is so much more potential here than they were able to realize. I don't think I've ever played a game quite like this, but I also don't know that I would want to play many more quite like this. Which is fine, because it's pretty rare you get something so expensively produced to play like this. I also don't understand complaining about the length because I'm pretty certain this type of experience cannot support a longer play time.

I definitely want to finish it and have high hopes for a sequel. I don't think this is a miss. I don't even think it's "bad." It's just pretty. And standard. It's pretty standard. That so much time was spent hyping/hating it still seems like a massive waste of the internet's collective time to me, but that's for other people to worry about.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Why are the Knights so outwardly hostile towards the guards and workers on the Agamemnon when later Galahad is so reserved about killing the United India Company guards? He has no idea which guards have been replaced with rebels and which are truly innocent people. Why not just knock them out? Why stab them through the throat?

I'm sure that they didn't think of a knockout animation or couldn't be bothered to do one, or time or something.

Does the game ever actually tell you the name of Lakshmi or do you just read it from the Directives?

It does, but after some time of you knowing her. Definitely a flaw, for example you knew Marlene's name even before meeting her. The devs probably wanted to make it a "surprise" of the revelation that she's actually an Indian warrior that was supposed to be have been killed in battle.

Lakshmi, on the other hand is basically a plot device set to serve a purpose. She's not a person. She doesn't mean anything to the player.

It's a shame because it's true, it's just well hidden beneath the dialogue, I certainly hope there's more chemistry between her, her daughter and Galahad in the sequel.

I agree with the rest (except with the QTE's, I can count on one hand the branching QTE's and they had the same outcome, kind of pointless to be honest), hope you enjoy the rest of the game, Kev. I can definitely imagine your reaction by the end of the game.

Gestault

I'm probably going to end up really liking the Order, in light of the feedback I've seen pretty much everywhere. As long as a game has the right contextualization, I've enjoyed otherwise "meh" experiences in the past, and the Order sounds like it goes well beyond that. I'm someone who's often better served by reasoned negativity than optimistic fluff when it comes to a game with real flaws behind it.

Top Bottom