• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order: 1886 |OT| Gears of Yore

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Rented this late last night, and now the credits are rolling.

Overall, I thought this was a pretty good game, but I'm glad I didn't buy it.

As been said a million times before, the graphics are just gorgeous. RAD's artists did an amazing job, and this is easily the most visually impressive game I've seen yet.

I absolutely love the concept, and thought the story was fine. Anyways, I do have a few nitpicks...

- Gunplay felt smooth, and landing head shots was often easy, but I still felt most of the guns lacked punch.

- Lycan encounters were always the same. A little more variation would've been nice, as well as more encounters period. Some of the environments were pretty fucking creepy, and I found myself thinking I'd be shitting my pants if they staged some surprise Lycan encounters. There were moments were I envisioned how I would've had some flashes of Lycans in the environments to build tension, before springing unexpected encounters. No doubt some missed opportunities in injecting some fear into the game.

- Speaking of fear, there never was anything to be afraid of. This could've made for a great horror game, but you always knew whether an encounter was coming by whether your character had his gun holstered. Once again, strolling through some creepy environments, but fear not, because my gun was holstered. Nothing was going to happen.

- QTEs could be a pain in the ass. Especially the type where you have to move a cursor to a dot on screen with your right thumb, and press a button. I wasn't a fan of it.

- Although I tried to inspect and find every little item, I must've missed one or more. There's no way of seeing progress made in each level in regards to papers, photos, cylinders, etc.

Anyways The Order really needs and deserves a sequel. Maybe a little more in the scares department, a little more action, and some less triangle button. The potential is big for such a bitching concept. Oh, and can we get some howling here? Some distant howls when Lycans around would've had my hair standing on end!

Booshka

I lost my hope for this series when the developer tweeted this - https://twitter.com/AndreaPessino/status/571137039753564161

It means the dev's have learnt nothing from the criticism of the game and seem adamant that their game design choices are justified. There is no hope for the sequel as well if it ever takes place. Sony should avoid future deals with RAD in my opinion and use that money for better projects.

Take aspects of the beautiful engine they built, the world and lore, scrap just about everything else, including the Dev. Give it to some competent game designers who want to create interesting gameplay scenarios, weapon sandbox designers, level designers, combat and enemy AI designers, writers, etc. Take the great parts of The Order and turn it into a great franchise. That youtube vid is some pandering bullshit, RAD supporting it is sad. They should be taking their licks on the gameplay and combat/level design front, bounce back from the valid criticism and make a game guys.

Darknight

Finally got the Platinum today!

You know whats funny I just saw the reveal trailer for this game from back in 2013 and I clearly remember thinking "oh great another CG trailer *yawn* ". Wish I could go back in time and slap my past self for that lol. Shows the testament of RAD's work here.

I cant believe its been like a 1+ year and the graphics are out of this world on this console. I really enjoyed this game.

Bearded Skull

Neo Member
I had a lot of fun playing this. It's a shame it took such a beating in reviews. I offered to let a friend borrow it after I beat it, and I almost had to talk him into playing it for free.

I really hope they get to do a sequel. They've laid down the groundwork and I think they could do something great with it.

My god... The court yard stealth section is absolute garbage. Why did they think this was a good idea?

Garbage as in difficult or garbage as in too easy? I had zero problems with it personally. The stealth sections felt like nice changes of pace to me actually.

Darknight

Garbage as in difficult or garbage as in too easy? I had zero problems with it personally. The stealth sections felt like nice changes of pace to me actually.

I actually knife killed everyone thinking this would certainly get me a trophy...only trophy I got in that mission was the "use all weapons" one after a few kills with x-bow. lol

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I lost my hope for this series when the developer tweeted this - https://twitter.com/AndreaPessino/status/571137039753564161

It means the dev's have learnt nothing from the criticism of the game and seem adamant that their game design choices are justified. There is no hope for the sequel as well if it ever takes place. Sony should avoid future deals with RAD in my opinion and use that money for better projects.
He's a technical director on the game, so he's a person on one team in RAD who without question did their job perfectly. People in charge of game design will listen to criticism, I'm sure. What I'm less sure of is if the game will ever get a sequel. Judging by the number of "Thumbs up" on the PS4 menu, I don't think it's selling all that well.

EL CUCO

Just finished my 3rd playthrough. I really enjoyed it the most. It was nice connecting dots and hearing little things said here and there that make a lot more sense when you know what they're referencing.

The complete experience was as immersive and felt as fresh as my first run. This time my wife sat through the entire thing. She liked it as well.

I wonder how many people actually miss the scene after the credits?
I know I did on my first playthrough.

Just beat the game...

Wow. Easily an 8/10 for me.

The voice acting and writing were spot on, the characterization, seemingly lambasted in all reviews, was there and was not lacking. The narrative was unexpected, the plot well placed...I just do not understand the beating it was giving by reviewers.

Every PS4 owner owes it to themselves to at the very least rent this game as it is a sign of amazing things to come, both technically speaking and for next gen gaming as a whole.

There were issues yes and I am certain the QTEs and Cut scenes were not loved by all but I cannot wait to see what RAD will do with this series in the future!

He's a technical director on the game, so he's a person on one team in RAD who without question did their job perfectly. People in charge of game design will listen to criticism, I'm sure. What I'm less sure of is if the game will ever get a sequel. Judging by the number of "Thumbs up" on the PS4 menu, I don't think it's selling all that well.

Are there regional splittings for 'thumbs up' for The Order?

Off the top of my head, The "Thumbs Up" for my version of The Order is only at around a few hundred.

Completely agree. They are entertaining personalities that offer absolutely nothing when it comes to a critical take on the genre. They are jaded, old and I don't think they enjoy their jobs at all. The last GOTY podcasts I have listened by them I swear you can hear them almost lamenting having to do it. When they finally do get to the point that they have narrowed something down to a choice none of them really care at all about it. I get it you guys think games are intrinsically boring at this stage in your lives but you can't walk away from the success you created.

I was really sad to hear Jeff and Dan basically talk Drew out of even trying it for himself.

I believe that's the
arc-grenade launcher that you fire from the bridge section after you down the enemy that fires at you with it?

According to a dev who was in the chat during GameTrailers' full playthrough stream last night he was using a Lightning gun that was supposed to be playable in the game before eventually being cut.

I've played through Gears 1 and 2.

Movement doesn't feel fluid or smooth. That video is obviously an exaggeration, but that's a good representation of how it feels, which is not smooth or fluid. Your movement is extremely slow unless you're doing the roadie run, which then restricts your movement in a highly linear fashion. So you're constantly doing these stop, move slowly around, then escape away tactics which abruptly changes your speed and just feels clunky -- the opposite of what I'd consider fluid.

Yeah, I've never understood the reverence people have for the series. Didn't play all that remarkably well in my estimation, and the story, setting and visual design are all quite bad.

My thoughts on the ending.

It wasn't that he could barely get himself to pull the trigger on Sir Lucan, it's the implication and what comes after that makes that decision so heavy for him. Pulling that trigger would mean that the he would relinquish all he knew for the past however centuries he served in the Order (who knows, maybe he thought that by exposing Lucan it would be his entry point back into The Order -- but all bets were off when he found out that the Lord Chancellor knew about Lucan as well).

It was a heavy decision, but one he knew he had to do. In addition, there's already a wide gulf between him and Lady Igraine, killing her brother will not make that divide between him and igraine much smaller. I think eventually lady igraine and lafayette will jump ship, however, without knowing the context of why Galahad killed Lucan, it would still add further tension and further reinforce what Igraine already thinks of Galahad.

Yeah, it wasn't really about killing Lucan, it was about all the responsibility and the weight of everyone's sins being piled onto his shoulders in that moment.

Given Igraine's fury and seemingly unwavering rage at Galahad, I would love her to be a sort of Antagonist in the next game. Lafayette will clearly jump ship lol

Booshka

Gears is pretty fast if you are good at it, in MP and SP. The gameplay and level design for the all important combat/feedback loop is also First Class for TPS.

You can sit back for a bit, but you'll get pushed and overwhelmed if you don't get moving. The mechanics of movement allow for some clever and quick movement, so long as you are able to execute.

Given how the game was presented, the ending (and epilogue), and things that have been said, the sequel is already in the works. Wouldn't surprise me if Sony and RAD already had a multi-title deal when they started work on the game.

Crud

Banned

That review is horrible. Wow. Of course homeboy would tweet this.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
They didn't - that's why they added the cheese crossbow, to allow people to hastily move on.

"cheese crossbow"

As if the stealth gameplay they come up with was of any value whatsoever.

Damn, that's sad... to cling on to some super minor YouTuber with an incredibly amateur production as some kind of beacon of truth. What a terrible way to behave in public.

They didn't - that's why they added the cheese crossbow, to allow people to hastily move on.

I like how the reason for using the crossbows IIRC is that Lucan says they should move in silence....proceed to brutally murdering dudes OJ style with a knife instead of quietly choking them out.

theWB27

I like how the reason for using the crossbows IIRC is that Lucan says they should move in silence....proceed to brutally murdering dudes OJ style with a knife instead of quietly choking them out.

Somebody getting choked out can still make noise. Shank'em and get it over with.

It looks pretty much like a joke to me :p And Sony ain't stupid. They clearly know what to do with their money. If they don't find any available potential in the deal between them and RaD, they will definitely stop it.

hydruxo

You're taking his tweet too seriously.

Just finished it. It really feels like things were planned to be a little more fleshed out and they had to wrap it up more quickly than they liked.

I think its worth playing on a rental but there's a lot of dull sections and the actual gameplay isn't very good.

I think it has potential but they kind of missed it and overdid it on the cutscenes.

I agree with the Giant bomb review and a lot of the 6/10 stuff. It fails to be above average in almost anything but graphics.

When it comes to pure gameplay there isn't really anything that elevates it above sub par third person shooters from last gen like army of two or that "wanted" and terminator salvation game that grin made.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Given how the game was presented, the ending (and epilogue), and things that have been said, the sequel is already in the works. Wouldn't surprise me if Sony and RAD already had a multi-title deal when they started work on the game.

I'd be down for some kind of stopgap First Light type of game as well. Just put the engine to more use and make a smaller game, maybe a prequel to flesh out the Knights more. Could also be a nice testing ground for some fresher ideas.

Jobbs

Banned
My single biggest complaint has nothign to do with the concept or "cinematic game" or it's a cover shooter or QTE stuff or the length or whatever else.

it's this:

they fucked up in their portrayal of lycans. Lycans should have been handled with some tension, buildup, some mystique -- some mystery. Maybe we'd see glimpses of them or we'd see the aftermath of a lycan attack, stuff like that. The concept of lycan should be built up in the first half of the game or so before any are encoutnered directly, and when they are encountered directly, they should be tough fights.

Instead of this, what we got was a lycan encounter in the first portion of the game, it's completely without any buildup, it's not important, it felt as though you were dog catchers doing routine business. There was no mystique, no buildup, no tension, and the fight was easy. They fucked up. They had one really cool monster card to play that is part of their fiction and they blew it.

M.W.

Any tips for Chapter 15 when you walk out of the armory into that small room with a bunch of guards? I'm playing on hard but can't seem to get past this point.

Game4life

Banned
This is anything but a "those games are toilets" comment, but at least with a comparison between TLOU and the Gears series, I can't really agree about the movement and shooting feeling better than Gears. I think the skill gap that exists within the movement system of Gears sort of speaks for itself in that regard. There are really very few third-person games that have shooting/movement mechanics handled as well as Gears, and it's why so many still use it as a metric when discussing newer releases. If anything, I've heard that TLOU has more successfully implemented combat mechanics than the Order (admittedly in part on account of how the environment design meshes with the AI).

TLOU is a much better TPS than Gears. One of the best controlling TPS there is. Altering between stealth to melee to active combat with guns that sound meaty and powerful is so much smoother. TLOU has a very natural and beautifully implemented cover system which is one of the reasons why the alterations between all the three options works so well. Gears would do well to learn from TLOU going forward. All TPS's should actually.

NIGHT-

TLOU is a much better TPS than Gears. One of the best controlling TPS there is. Altering between stealth to melee to active combat with guns that sound meaty and powerful is so much smoother. TLOU has a very natural and beautifully implemented cover system which is one of the reasons why the alterations between all the three options works so well. Gears would do well to learn from TLOU going forward. All TPS's should actually.

Gonna disagree wirh you, the gunplay is awful in TLOU jiaf like the uncharted games. They are a chore to play through in that regard. But gameplay is not the focus in those games the cutscenes and plots are the bigger focus. Gears on the other hand is a blast to play

Game4life

Banned
Gonna disagree wirh you, the gunplay is awful in TLOU jiaf like the uncharted games. They are a chore to play through in that regard. But gameplay is not the focus in those games the cutscenes and plots are the bigger focus. Gears on the other hand is a blast to play

No. TLOU gameplay is superior to Gears IMO. Gears focus on cutscenes is as much as TLOU - the only difference is they are worse. Uncharted 2 has way more combat options than any gears sp campaign and has much better level design. There is a reason both these games have had universal acclaim and are frequently mentioned in best game of the generation lists.

Anyways I think I should stop because it is an Order OT afterall.

Mifune

Mehmber

Yeah, I guess you didn't play TLOU.

NIGHT-

When someone says laughable shit like "gameplay isn't the focus" my bullshit detector goes off. Sorry to doubt you.

It's a pretty common complaint with TLOU. Especially on here. I loved the game, but I find the gunplay a chore. It won't hold up years down the line like gears and vanquish will. But yea, not the thread for this discussion.

Game4life

Banned
When someone says laughable shit like "gameplay isn't the focus" my bullshit detector goes off. Sorry to doubt you.

Gears of war 3 cutscenes length - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrgae5ZTHDc 2 hours and 18 minutes

TLOU cutscenes length https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJpXI8Ao-9I 2 hours and 2 minutes

TLOU is a much much longer game than Gears of War 3.

Lol gameplay is not the focus but cut scenes are apparently in TLOU.

It's a pretty common complaint with TLOU. Especially on here. I loved the game, but I find the gunplay a chore. It won't hold up years down the line like gears and vanquish will. But yea, not the thread for this discussion.

Gears did not top most lists last gen let alone in coming generations. It will most certainly not hold up. Especially for those who like good single player games with good level design.

Holy Shit! You either did not play the game, or played it really wrong.

Played it wrong, I guess... :)

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
TLOU had some of the most memorable combat scenarios in the TPS genre for me. I really loved how that game played. I liked Gears and Gear 2 a lot, too, though. Never played the third. Now Uncharted 3... the shooting in that game felt broken and absolutely frustrating for me. Another one in this genre from last gen that I really enjoyed even though it felt a bit low budget was Binary Domain. I had a blast playing through that and the story was really interesting too.

Anyway, I hope they figure something out for the sequel to The Order. They nailed the feel of the aiming and shooting part in my opinion. It's just the combat scenarios are not very interesting at all.

Top Bottom