• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order: 1886 |OT| Gears of Yore

Heading to Best Buy now to pick mine up, is there really no surround sound option?.....That...can't be right...

No true surround sound, no DTS or Dolby codecs within the game, however if you Bitstream from your PS4, it'll still output the sound through whichever setup you have. It just doesn't sound grand

Ricky_R

To those who have played the game and are big on sound. Should I go with my 2.1 stereo (which is enough for me tbh. I'm not an audio whore) or with my Tritton Kunai headset.

I'm inclined to think that the headset would be preferable due to how intimate and mysterious (or at least the attempt to be mysterious) the game seems to be.

The whole game so far. If there was any game that I could love and hate at the same time, this would be it.

Hehe, alright. I would imagine.

Eirulan

Ha I love these posts. Please tell me your about to post a 4k shot of metro and tell me it looks better than this game because....It doesn't.

Don't worry - I won't :)
We already have/had a discussion about IQ in the DF thread.
No need to have another here.

I absolutely adore the level of detail they added in the game and it looks very good no question. But I don't get why they invest so much work into their textures and then throw them into this game in such low res versions...

Reedirect

I'm about 3 hours in and it already seems like a wasted opportunity to me. I enjoy my share of cinematic games, I think it's even totally justifiable to have a 10 hour game only consisting of QTE's and walking (aka Beyond: Two Souls), if the story and characters are solid. But RAD made such a weird and inconsistent mix of TPS gameplay and cinematic adventure, that it just isn't really that fun to play.

When the action gets going, it's absolutely amazing. The guns feel great and the AI is pretty serviceable. Connecting that with all the "slow walking exploration" sequences and short, ham-fisted cutscenes of opening doors doesn't work that great. The actions bits are usually too short and the pacing takes a blow from that.

I still kinda like it (the setting and characters are great, combat's fun), but I can already see what the problem was for most reviewers. Hopefully it gets better with progress. So far it's not quite my tempo.

Sid

OK WTF,I bascially got this game for free,didn't even notice I had a ton of store credit left,1.5 hours in at chapter 3 and the game is damn fun

To those who have played the game and are big on sound. Should I go with my 2.1 stereo (which is enough for me tbh. I'm not an audio whore) or with my Tritton Kunai headset.

I'm inclined to think that the headset would be preferable due to how intimate and mysterious (or at least the attempt to be mysterious) the game seems to be.

I put on my Sennheiser headphones while my gf was working on a project.

The sounds were incredible. I could hear the chatter of civilians and while listening to their worry about the commotions in the street, I heard the water from the fountain and it was...

..Incredible.

The sounds were incredible. I could hear the chatter of civilians and while listening to their worry about the commotions in the street, I heard the water from the fountain and it was...

..Incredible.

Yea I'm playing with my sennys and the sound is insane

kyser73

Just finished chapter 4 & now heading to bed (it's 1:40am here).

Game continues to impress, really enjoyed the Elder fight and made a little whelp! sound when
Izzy's back gets broken by the a Elder)

One thing that's stood out for me is the texture & lighting work on the tiles in the tube & hospital wards. They are absolutely perfect.

antitrop

Ha I love these posts. Please tell me your about to post a 4k shot of metro and tell me it looks better than this game because....It doesn't.

Yeah. I just got a new 970 not too long ago, but I'm not sure what I'm supposed to boot up on my PC that would look better than The Order.

Anarion07

I absolutely adore the level of detail they added in the game and it looks very good no question. But I don't get why they invest so much work into their textures and then throw them into this game in such low res versions...

Hardware limitations, probably.
But that's just a guess.

Ricky_R

..Incredible.

Yea I'm playing with my sennys and the sound is insane

Thanks... I'll go with my headset first then i'll replay the game with my stereo. Pfftt, no replay value my ass.

I'm a bit baffled this game doesn't have real surround sound. Sure, it outputs the audio on all speakers, but it's only stereo.
Game feels slow so far. Can definitely understand why people find it boring.
The shooting indeed feels great. I just wish there was more of it though.

But god damn, I'm spending way too much time ogling the scenery and screenshoting. You have to see the game in motion on your own TV. This is just ridiculous!

I think this game works more like an interactive movie. I haven't played much yet. Still in the second chapter I think. Will see how it turns out.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Yeah. I just got a new 970 not too long ago, but I'm not sure what I'm supposed to boot up on my PC that would look better than The Order.

Because nobody is really trying to make something like the Order on PC right now.

I mean, if the Order was on your PC it wouldn't need black bars and could run at 60fps.. but yeah.. I don't think there's any games on PC that have shot for the detail the Order has recently that compares.

It's not a lack of firepower, it's a lack of software trying to do it.

Just finished the first chapter and if that chapter is something to judge the whole game in I'm going to love this game.
The way the camera moves during gameplay is so freaking awesome, it feels like I'm playing a movie. I love the characters and the atmosphere already too.

I just wonder. From what I hear this game is supposed to be played with headphones. I just have a 2.1 sound system on my tv.
Should I wait to continue to play and go out and get a PS4 compatible 5.1 headset? And if so, do you have any recommendations?

Anarion07

Because nobody is really trying to make something like the Order on PC right now.

I mean, if the Order was on your PC it wouldn't need black bars and could run at 60fps.. but yeah.. I don't think there's any games on PC that have shot for the detail the Order has recently that compares.

Exactly. Noone is gonna argue that a PC couldn't handle these graphics, it's just that no (commercially available) game out there looks as good as a whole.
With modding, thats a whole different matter, of course.

tusken77

Hard is the highest? So there is only Easy / Normal / Hard? And hard isn't really all that hard I hear?

Correct. I'm only in Chapter 4, I'm sure it'll get at least a little more challenging. I'm really enjoying the combat. Example:
Bursting into a room, taking cover behind a snooker table, shooting enemies legs to make them crumple, then jumping up on top of said snooker table and striding across further tables, shooting down on felled fools to finish them off felt badass.
I want more of that fun at higher skill levels. Ideally there would be Very Hard and Crushing difficulties to look forward to.

It's pretty insulting that you not only think GAFers are incapable of measuring time, but also offering honest impressions. Not to mention that does not correlate with reality (see Destiny or WatchDogs for example).

GAF is one of the last places I'd look for honest opinions on console exclusive games. There are definitely some good people around this place but there's just way too many posters that have an unhealthy emotional attatchment to this stuff and it makes it hard to wade through the bullshit. Same reason I don't get my news from Fox News or MSNBC. Just give me the truth, not a bunch of cheerleading white noise.

nemesun

I think that's his point. He's not disputing the technical prowess of the PC itself, but rather, lack thereof games as refined as 1886.

antitrop

I think that's his point. He's not disputing the technical prowess of the PC itself, but rather, lack thereof games as refined as 1886.

Sure was, I didn't mind him adding to it, though. He's right.

Maybe if Crytek was working on Crysis 4 instead of F2P games...

nib95

Banned
GAF is one of the last places I'd look for honest opinions on console exclusive games. There are definitely some good people around this place but there's just way too many posters that have an unhealthy emotional attatchment to this stuff and it makes it hard to wade through the bullshit. Same reason I don't get my news from Fox News or MSNBC. Just give me the truth, not a bunch of cheerleading white noise.

So the majority of people who give their impressions on exclusives (countless people) on here, are console specific fanboys? Ok gotcha.

Don't worry - I won't :)
We already have/had a discussion about IQ in the DF thread.
No need to have another here.

This along with Driveclub simply look better than anything on PC. I know you guys try and create a set of parameters that let you believe there are better things on PC but there isn't. If you put two tv's next to each other in a Gamestop and one of them has Project Cars absolutely maxed out and on the other Driveclub every person is going to be more impressed by Driveclub. If you did the same exercise with Ryse and The Order everyone will be more impressed by the Order. Nobody cares that the tech isn't as impressive or that its not running a texture in super high res if the overall image looks unbelievable.

Surely there are some you trust better than others.
Anyway. It will be a polarising game regardless i think.

nib95

Banned
I absolutely detest it. The emphasis should have been on investigation and exploration of these dark marauding corners of Victorian era London than simply emptying rounds after round on halfbreeds.

What do you dislike about it? And you do realise
there are very few half-breed encounters in the game
?

I got the platinum just now.

Ubelievable that the one newspaper and one object I somehow managed to miss on my first play-through were both in the Agamemnon chapter.

I side-stepped my second play to figure out what I'd missed and used chapter select to get them. It was bugging me. lol

Back on the path of my second go round.

I like this game plenty. The GameTrailers review is pretty much spot on, IMO.

The collector's edition was only $10 more than the vanilla copy I bought here in Taipei and I felt foolish for not preordering that in the first place because of the added value so I sold my vanilla copy and paid the little extra for the collector's edition.

Eirulan

... Nobody cares that the tech isn't as impressive or that its not running a texture in super high res if the overall image looks unbelievable.

Opinions.
I don't say the overall look&feel of the game isn't good - it is of course.
But to say there's nothing on pc that matches The Order is clearly wrong in my opinion, at least from a technical standpoint.

antitrop

Yeah I feel you. I just hope this plays better than Ryse, which I honestly got through just for the visuals. I hated the moment to moment gameplay of that game.

I have Ryse on my Steam wishlist for a really cheap sale, just to see it in motion on my new GPU.

Anyway, right now I'm just sipping some coffee and trying to shake off the morning drowsiness, then I'm about to head down to the store and pick up The Order!

Pretty excited. I like shooting stuff

Ricker

Played an hour or so of The Order, since last night. Graphic and art direction in this game is absolutely marvelous.

Yep,incredible and even though it only says stereo speakers in the audio setting,the surround is there and awesome as well...remote play works fine but you have to change the settings because,as far as I noticed,the back touch only gives the objectives,so by default,you cant aim and shoot lol...and since the prompts and even the subtitles are so small,its really hard to see on the Vita.

Yep,incredible and even though it only says stereo speakers in the audio setting,the surround is there and awesome as well...remote play works fine but you have to change the settings because,as far as I noticed,the back touch only gives the objectives,so by default,you cant aim and shoot lol...and since the prompts and even the subtitles are so small,its really hard to see on the Vita.

They're even too small for my TV. Same with Infamous. I can barely read the notifications. I really need a bigger screen...

Elginer

6mnlBqt.jpg

Fuck yes, just got mine. Dude at GameStop was like, "Are you sure you wanna pick it up? It got shit reviews man."

I said "Don't care, I've read some impressions that make it seem just like I was looking for at the moment in a game. Variety is the spice of life my man and I form my own decisions. Some of my fav games have been 6-7 rated titles".

6mnlBqt.jpg

Fuck yes, just got mine. Dude at GameStop was like, "Are you sure you wanna pick it up? It got shit reviews man."

I said "Don't care, I've read some impressions that make it seem just like I was looking for at the moment in a game. Variety is the spice of life my man and I form my own decisions. Some of my fav games have been 6-7 rated titles".

My man.

lol, Gamestop employees.

Pm sent *crosses fingers

edit: It's a US code so is still available from OP

Thank you to Turbo for the code!

And thank YOU for pointing this out as I would definitely have missed it!

Nice...

I pre-ordered from Amazon and cancelled my pre-order to pick up the game in store yesterday. Was kinda bummed about missing out on the Arsenal DLC, but here it is anyway!

Gaf came through. My moustache is yours.

Top Bottom