• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order: 1886 |OT| Gears of Yore

nemesun

What do you dislike about it? And you do realise
there are very few half-breed encounters in the game
?

I mean, I'm not even that far in the game [Chapter 3] and I'm already sick of shooting waves after waves of these resistance fighters/half-breeds whatever f they are. The enemy encounters feels tedious and not that rewarding as a whole.

Fuck yes, just got mine. Dude at GameStop was like, "Are you sure you wanna pick it up? It got shit reviews man."

I said "Don't care, I've read some impressions that make it seem just like I was looking for at the moment in a game. Variety is the spice of life my man and I form my own decisions. Some of my fav games have been 6-7 rated titles".

That's basically my stance when it comes to pretty much anything in life really. Man, If I cared for reviews I would have missed out on 1000+ games by now lol.

Ready to pick this up after work, I'm excited. $48 with GCU at best buy, trade in with GCU is $44 at best buy.... If I'm not engrossed and entertained, I will trade it in......

This game is exactly what I need right now after long plays of Dying Light and Far Cry 4...

Hasney

This along with Driveclub simply look better than anything on PC. I know you guys try and create a set of parameters that let you believe there are better things on PC but there isn't. If you put two tv's next to each other in a Gamestop and one of them has Project Cars absolutely maxed out and on the other Driveclub every person is going to be more impressed by Driveclub. If you did the same exercise with Ryse and The Order everyone will be more impressed by the Order. Nobody cares that the tech isn't as impressive or that its not running a texture in super high res if the overall image looks unbelievable.

Couldn't disagree more with Driveclub to Project CARS. CARS looks stupid impressive maxed out.

No idea on Ryse compared to this as I've not played it.

13029_10155251129190370_1465307316047270995_n.jpg

For an extra ten bucks. Why the hell not?

nib95

Banned
I mean, I'm not even that far in the game [Chapter 3] and I'm already sick of shooting waves after waves of these resistance fighters/half-breeds whatever f they are. The enemy encounters feels tedious and not that rewarding as a whole.

I feel like we're playing a different game. I actually thought the first few acts of the game were too light on firefights. There were barely any. Though there are a number towards the end of Chapter 3. Maybe you're referring to them.

And yea, you'll know when you're fighting half-breeds instead of humans...

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Sure was, I didn't mind him adding to it, though. He's right.

Maybe if Crytek was working on Crysis 4 instead of F2P games...

Yeah, that was a sad turn of events. No one is really trying to push things to the extreme on the PC right now, especially in a time of extreme horsepower available for pretty good prices.

Then again, I don't know if we'll ever see something quite like that again.. the people making huge returns are with games that pushing polys means very little.. it's more about monetization and getting on as many systems as possible.

Just hit Chapter II and so far... It's pretty good. The only complaint I personally have is there's little interaction when exploring. There's the odd newspaper/audio file/picture etc but not a lot else. However the first chapter whilst a little slow, reminded me of Heavy Rain, with the next part letting you take charge and do some cover shooting. It all feels solid enough. Nothing original or unique particularly but nothing fundamentally broken or wrong so far. The graphics are phenomenal however along with the attention to detail. I've already took lots of screen grabs. Shame there's no photo mode which would have been amazing. Characters are great and it nails then cinematic atmosphere very well. It will be a shame then if it's a little on the short side with no replay abilty. I think the potential is there for much more but it's coming up short in those departments by the sounds of reviews. But so far so good and I'm glad I've picked it up and not listened to reviews yet again. Something that more and more seem out of touch with my preferences or likings.

FireSol

What am I doing wrong? The more I play the more I love shooting, Order is one of the few games when you can feel that you have a gun in hero hands not plastic replica

nemesun

I feel like we're playing a different game. I actually thought the first few acts of the game were too light on firefights. There were barely any. Though there are a number towards the end of Chapter 3. Maybe you're referring to them.

And yea, you'll know when you're fighting half-breeds instead of humans...

To each his own, I guess. Maybe I warm up to it later on, but so far, not leaving that great of an impression.

Frillen

So the majority of people who give their impressions on exclusives (countless people) on here, are console specific fanboys? Ok gotcha.

Quite a few, yes, especially among the people who give out the first impressions. But we're at two different sides here, so I think we can agree to disagree. Whether or not they are in the majority is irrelevant. The relevant part is that there's quite a few of them. For example, I don't think I've ever seen you post something that will put a Sony exclusive in a bad light. Ever.

It's a bit like comparing new game releases to E3 conferences/media briefings/Nintendo directs. How many of those things actually live up to the amount of hype that GAF manage to create!? They're definitely in the minority.

bombshell

Oh my god these graphics :O

The prologue and chapter 1 took me 90 minutes. This game is definitely not going to be short for me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ricky_R

Quite a few, yes, especially among the people who give out the first impressions. But we're at two different sides here, so I think we can agree to disagree. Whether or not they are in the majority is irrelevant. The relevant part is that there's quite a few of them. For example, I don't think I've ever seen you post something that will put a Sony exclusive in a bad light. Ever.

It's a bit like comparing new game releases to E3 conferences/media briefings/Nintendo directs. How many of those things actually live up to the amount of hype that GAF manage to create!? They're definitely in the minority.

Can you name the fanboys who you think gave over hyped, blinded by excitement impressions?

Might help paint a better picture.

Cranberrys

Just finished the first chapter and if that chapter is something to judge the whole game in I'm going to love this game.
The way the camera moves during gameplay is so freaking awesome, it feels like I'm playing a movie. I love the characters and the atmosphere already too.

I just wonder. From what I hear this game is supposed to be played with headphones. I just have a 2.1 sound system on my tv.
Should I wait to continue to play and go out and get a PS4 compatible 5.1 headset? And if so, do you have any recommendations?

I tried the game with my Sony HT-S7 soundbar and it's amazing. Then, I'll use the Sony Golds last night and it was great but not to the extent of the soundbar and when I finished work today, I just tried my Pioneer SE-A1000 connected to my headphone amp (Oehlbach XXL) and it sounds the better by far. The Golds, although great for general gaming purpose and chat, cannot match the sound of a good pair of Hifi Headphones and an amp. Stereo sure but, man, the quality is top notch and the details in the audio mix are amazing.

PS3/PS4 HDMI (5.1 LPCM/7.1 LPCM) to soundbar HDMI to TV optical to amp. The consoles switch automatically to LPCM 2.0 when soundbar is off, so stereo to headphones.

I don't think you need a gaming headset. If you want the better sound possible from a game (or a movie) (or music in fact) without spending too much you just buy an headphone amp (like the Beyer A20 or the Oehlbach XXL DAC Ultra) (I recommend for practical purposes the XXL since it has an optical input) (with the Beyer you'll need to buy a DAC unless your TV as analog audio out) and a good pair of hifi headphones. Plus you can plug two headphones at once in either of those amps. The Pioneer I use are great and not expensive nowadays or a pair of Sennheiser or whatever brand you like and you buy a cheap gaming headset for online gaming and you are set.

DirtyLarry

My copy is in my car. Picked it up on my lunch break from Best Buy.
My wife is going out with her sister tonight as well, so I will finally get to make my own mind up as to whether this game is good or not.
Despite the whole shit show that has led up to today this past week or so, I am still very much excited to check it out.
Lights will be dimmed. Volume will be high. My friend MaryJ will be stopping by to say hello and she always enhances the mood. I fully expect to have a good time.
The only unknown variable in the equation is will my dog just chill. For that I plan on playing ball with him a good 60 minutes prior to playing to tire his ass out.

T.O.P

Banned
Enjoying it so far (Ch5)

Game is a looker, holy damn...also the weapons are awesome, the weight is really there just as i like it

Still, the hand holding pisses me off a lot, also, i LOVE when they let you examine weapons up close (dat rifle reload animation) but a fuckin apple? why :lol
And too many cutscenes as well, they break the action way too much
Also...that first half breeds fight? wth, always the same patterns over and over, badly thought imo

Frillen

Can you name the fanboys who you think gave over hyped, blinded by excitement impressions?

Might help paint a better picture.

Plenty, I'm bad at remembering names/usernames though. This isn't exclusive to Sony games though. It's just as bad when it comes to Xbox and Nintendo exclusives. Just go into a thread covering a soon to be released game, and you will see plenty. Obviously some games actually turn out to be great, but these guys are excited no matter what, and can't look at the games with neutral eyes. They feel they have received a mission order from their company of choice, where they have to defend the titles like their lives depended on it.

Grisby

Played about an hour or so getting to chapter 2. I'm not far but I have some super earlier impressions.

It'll probably be said a million times but these graphics are nice. Truly, the OT title does remind me of seeing Gears for the first time on the 360. Very impressive graphics.

Gunplay is fine so far in that everything is very basic but it works. The werewolves AI is rather boring but at least it was a little different. The rebel AI isn't super hot. There should have been a few more encounters in the opening battles and I hope they let you fight it out for longer periods in the upcoming chapters.

Story is neat and I'm already interested in whats going on. There's some good voice acting going on here.

Also, I'm kinda bummed that they didn't give you an option to choose hard at the start, but I guess since the game is pretty short I'll save it for another go around.

Frillen

Enjoying it so far (Ch5)

Game is a looker, holy damn...also the weapons are awesome, the weight is really there just as i like it

Still, the hand holding pisses me off a lot, also, i LOVE when they let you examine weapons up close (dat rifle reload animation) but a fuckin apple? why :lol
And too many cutscenes as well, they break the action way too much
Also...that first half breeds fight? wth, always the same patterns over and over, badly thought imo

It's definitely a rushed part of the game. During these encounters I just found a corner, stood there, waited for them to come, and they would always come from one direction only, then BANG, BANG, BANG. Rinse and repeat. And that's it. The game had nothing to offer outside of that when it comes to unique encounters, unless you count the ultra unrealistic shotgun bullet sponges.

T.O.P

Banned
It's definitely a rushed part of the game. During these encounters I just found a corner, stood there, waited for them to come, and they would always come from one direction only, then BANG, BANG, BANG.

Yeah, so far it's what i disliked the most

nib95

Banned

First of all, you need to lay off the personal attacks. This is like the third one you have directed at me, and it's getting grating.

Second of all, this is simply not true. I think Shadow Falls campaign is pretty mediocre, and I thought DriveClub looked bad at reveal, that Knack looks boring etc (hence I've never bought it or had the desire to play or post much regarding it). Honestly, you won't see that much negativity from me because if I'm not interested in something, I tend not to post much in regards to it, or even consider buying it. It's why I have barely any posts in the Bloodborne threads, and why I have so many posts in Order threads. The latter is just more to my tastes, though I may still buy Bloodborne, haven't decided yet.

maverick40

6mnlBqt.jpg

Fuck yes, just got mine. Dude at GameStop was like, "Are you sure you wanna pick it up? It got shit reviews man."

I said "Don't care, I've read some impressions that make it seem just like I was looking for at the moment in a game. Variety is the spice of life my man and I form my own decisions. Some of my fav games have been 6-7 rated titles".

Yes!!!!

First of all, you need to lay off the personal attacks. This is like the third one you have directed at me, and it's getting grating.

Second of all, this is simply not true. I think Shadow Falls campaign is pretty mediocre, and I thought DriveClub looked bad at reveal, that Knack looks boring etc (hence I've never bought it or had the desire to play or post much regarding it). Honestly, you won't see that much negativity from me because if I'm not interested in something, I tend not to post much in regards to it, or even consider buying it. It's why I have barely any posts in the Bloodborne threads, and why I have so many posts in Order threads. The latter is just more to my tastes, though I may still buy Bloodborne, haven't decided yet.

Yeah I'm the same way, my posts are mostly all positive because I don't give much attention to things that don't look good to me.

I own Knack and could write an essay on what's wrong with it, but I just don't care enough to do so. I'd rather write about things I do like.

Frillen

I'm talking pre release. I remember you defending Shadow Fall just as you defended The Order 1886 pre release. You have a mind set, and I've said I'm fine with that, I respect it, somewhat, anyway.

Played about an hour or so getting to chapter 2. I'm not far but I have some super earlier impressions.

It'll probably be said a million times but these graphics are nice. Truly, the OT title does remind me of seeing Gears for the first time on the 360. Very impressive graphics.

Gunplay is fine so far in that everything is very basic but it works. The werewolves AI is rather boring but at least it was a little different. The rebel AI isn't super hot. There should have been a few more encounters in the opening battles and I hope they let you fight it out for longer periods in the upcoming chapters.

Story is neat and I'm already interested in whats going on. There's some good voice acting going on here.

Also, I'm kinda bummed that they didn't give you an option to choose hard at the start, but I guess since the game is pretty short I'll save it for another go around.

You can change it midgame. Doesn't mess with trophies

nib95

Banned
I'm talking pre release. I remember you defending Shadow Fall just as you defended The Oreder 1886 pre release. You have a mind set, and I've said I'm fine with that, I respect it, somewhat, anyway.

Why wouldn't I though? It looked excellent in the pre-release media, and Killzone 2 is one of my favourite shooters. The idea of Killzone but slightly more open, sounded very appealing at the time. You can't know about plot and pacing issues, or issues pertaining to the gameplay in later stages of the game, based on such small pockets of media. I don't regret my purchase mind, because as much as the campaign was only mediocre to decent, I loved the multiplayer, which a lot of outlets mostly ignored.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I'm a bit baffled this game doesn't have real surround sound. Sure, it outputs the audio on all speakers, but it's only stereo.
What sort of audio setup are you using?

I can say for absolute certain that the game makes use a full surround. In fact, I'd say it's actually quite excellent in that regard as it helps build atmosphere while helping gameplay. For instance, when grenades are being tossed or land nearby, you can very clearly hear it in the surround channels as it hits in the rear. The mission that takes place in the rain as well sound absolutely excellent with the sound of rain drops putting the rear channels to full use.

If you're only hearing stereo then there is a configuration problem in your setup.

You can change it midgame. Doesn't mess with trophies
Huh? I think you can choose hard before the game begins. In the options.
What sort of audio setup are you using?

I can say for absolute certain that the game makes use a full surround. In fact, I'd say it's actually quite excellent in that regard as it helps build atmosphere while helping gameplay. For instance, when grenades are being tossed or land nearby, you can very clearly hear it in the surround channels as it hits in the rear. The mission that takes place in the rain as well sound absolutely excellent with the sound of rain drops putting the rear channels to full use.

If you're only hearing stereo then there is a configuration problem in your setup.
Yeah it's not there in the options but it's surround sound on my setup too.

Top Bottom