• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order: 1886 |OT| Gears of Yore

Frillen

Why wouldn't I though? It looked excellent in the pre-release media, and Killzone 2 is one of my favourite shooters. The idea of Killzone but slightly more open, sounded very appealing at the time. You can't know about plot and pacing issues, or issues pertaining to the gameplay in later stages of the game, based on such small pockets of media. I don't regret my purchase mind, because as much as the campaign was only mediocre to decent, I loved the multiplayer, which a lot of outlets mostly ignored.

The game had some shortcomings that was obvious pre release. What I still don't understand is why you went out of your way of defending the obvious shortcomings of The Order pre release. We're just going around in circles anyway. I do agree when it comes to Shadow Fall's multiplayer though, the multiplayer was actually really good, and it baffled me that only 3000 people played it right after launch. But hey, if you aren't CoD or Battlefield then...

pager99

So far about 2 hrs in and although my. First impressions weren't all that good I'm now enjoying the gunplay and tight cover mechanics
but yeah I can see it wouldn't suit everyone's tastes
im playing through on hard and recommend everyone else do too.

Well, 5 out of 15 of my online friends are playing The Order right now. Based on that tiny amount of anecdotal evidence I declare the game is selling just fine

pager99

Well, 5 out of 15 of my online friends are playing The Order right now. Based on that tiny amount of anecdotal evidence I declare the game is selling just fine
I feel the amount of press this game got both good and bad has elevated everyone's interest
edit: 23 out of 106 friends online are playing the order, that's impressive I think this game is gonna sell well

Cudder

The newspapers are really weird to me. I feel like they want me to read the actual articles, but the way they're rendered makes the text seem just small enough that I think they want me to just read the headlines.

MattyG

Banned
Ugh... still 6 hours till I get to slip it in the slot.
0LPBrMS.gif

A_Gorilla

Banned
My premium edition just shipped. Still says its arriving today, but based on past experience I'm guessing not till 8pm. FFS Amazon...

bombshell

The newspapers are really weird to me. I feel like they want me to read the actual articles, but the way they're rendered makes the text seem just small enough that I think they want me to just read the headlines.

Yeah the text is tiny, but I'm reading them anyway. I love backstory lore.

The accuracy of all the materials and how light reacts to those different materials is unbelievable. The difference between marble and stone, different types of cloth, metal, all of that is so completely amazing. I'm not in love with the gameplay but the visuals are actually hard to believe at times. It's a hell of a technical achievement.

TheTurboFD

I saw the reviews and thankfully that didn't sway me from the game. I know it's better to play the game and form my opinion than to listen to review sites. I've been having a blast in this game and I only just met Tesla.

nib95

Banned
The game had some shortcomings that was obvious pre release. What I still don't understand is why you went out of your way of defending the obvious shortcomings of The Order pre release. We're just going around in circles anyway. I do agree when it comes to Shadow Fall's multiplayer though, the multiplayer was actually really good, and it baffled me that only 3000 people played it right after launch. But hey, if you aren't CoD or Battlefield then...

I don't know what "shortcomings" you are referring to, but has it ever dawned on you that people have a different perception of shortcomings? A lot of people have been complaining about linearity and use of QTE's with The Order, but neither of these things bother me. My complaints or concerns prior to release, based on media were things like the camera (it always seemed a bit erratic), if the AI was going to be any good, the melee lacking impact (I stated that it lacked the ferocity of LoU for example), whether there would be enough exploration and exposition, if the cover system would be polished etc. But again, half of these things you can't really know until you play the thing.

farisr

What sort of audio setup are you using?

I can say for absolute certain that the game makes use a full surround. In fact, I'd say it's actually quite excellent in that regard as it helps build atmosphere while helping gameplay. For instance, when grenades are being tossed or land nearby, you can very clearly hear it in the surround channels as it hits in the rear. The mission that takes place in the rain as well sound absolutely excellent with the sound of rain drops putting the rear channels to full use.

If you're only hearing stereo then there is a configuration problem in your setup.

I really need to figure out why the heck are the LFE and center channels being switched when I'm playing through my capture card. No other games do this, they work just fine. Only this game seems to have that problem. Can't play it through that because most of the time, the voices are designated to the center channel.

Demon Ice

Banned
Only had a chance to play an hour before I went to work but I really enjoyed it. The gunplay feels fine, I was really worried judging from some of the reviews but it controls just as well as any competently made TPS would. The graphics are utterly astounding. The last time I was this impressed with any game's graphics I was loading up a modded and maxed Crysis on PC.

Trace

Banned
I'm about two or so hours in, damn this game is something special. I can see where people could fault it for having too much times between "gameplay" sections, but I'm loving the atmosphere, the graphics are easily the best I've ever seen, and I want to see where the story goes next.

joecanada

Plenty, I'm bad at remembering names/usernames though. This isn't exclusive to Sony games though. It's just as bad when it comes to Xbox and Nintendo exclusives. Just go into a thread covering a soon to be released game, and you will see plenty. Obviously some games actually turn out to be great, but these guys are excited no matter what, and can't look at the games with neutral eyes. They feel they have received a mission order from their company of choice, where they have to defend the titles like their lives depended on it.

Yes and it's just as accurate to say there's a healthy contingent of people who never played the game at All and are just parroting whatever they read in any review.
Some likely don't even own a PS4 and had no intention of buying the game. It goes both ways

Getting my game next week wednesday/thursday .... Thanks Playasia for taking a break over chinese new year, otherwise it would have shipped out on thursday :(

Con_Smith

Banned
I booted this baby up this morning before work and the only thing I hated was the Atlanta traffic being super light robbing me of more time to play. I'm just staying busy thinking about really getting into this tonight on my big screen.

since I only played the prologue I can't really comment too much on the gameplay but I liked what I saw so far. I think I understand how they want that filmic approach to the game as the camera work and fades into gameplay were really nicely done (I hate cg cuts that fade to black and then gameplay. When a game seamlessly puts me into control you already get points from me) and based off the impressions here it only gets better so I can't wait to play the most hated game in the industry at the moment. If only there were glitches and game breaking bugs to make reviewers really see how special this is huh.

ChuckNyce

Wait, I played for an hour and I only just reached Chapter 2 lol

I am meticulously looking for collectibles though.

Same! Took me almost an hour exactly to get through the prologue and

Chap 1.

Mini review - graphics are beautiful and the combat feels really good in my opinion. Good job so far RAD.

tusken77

I saw the reviews and thankfully that didn't sway me from the game. I know it's better to play the game and form my opinion than to listen to review sites. I've been having a blast in this game and I only just met Tesla.

I loved that Tesla part. Walking around the room, examining all the gadgets, felt very much like a Q scene from the Bond movies.

M.W.

Picking this up on lunch but won't get to dive in until late tonight. The impressions are awesome, can't wait.

I need to see these graphics.

Top Bottom