• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order: 1886 |OT| Gears of Yore

Cloudy

Banned
The shooting is some of the most satisfying I've seen in a TPS. I really hope this game doesn't bomb financially cos it's a great foundation for a franchise

Yes, I thought the same thing. Blacksight is the one game mechanic that I don't fully understand, and they only explained it quickly, once.

Meanwhile, they can't stop telling me how to Sprint. What. The. Fuck?

Yeah I got to chapter 8 and hadn't used it since the tutorial and thought I probably should use it more. I had to go into the settings and view the control scheme to remember what button to press.

Ah well. Too many games suffer from this, I don't know what it is, lack of confidence in players maybe. This of all games shouldn't have this problem, it's not complicated and the cinematic effect is lost when that prompt is up. Really surprised there's no toggle.

That being said I've definitely started to enjoy the combat more. I don't think I love it as much as some here but it's way better than I anticipated. I do wish there were more of the science weapons. Those are excellent fun to use. The standard guns are alright (shotguns are great). It is by no means a poor third person shooter, that's for sure. But I can't say I'm surprised, reviews said Wolf's shooting was boring and that's just plain false. I do find it gets a little too claustrophobic for my liking from time to time during action. Every now and then I'll take cover behind something and not be able to see over it at all because of the upper letterbox and that is distracting and occasionally frustrating.

The story (I'm at chapter 9 I think) has it's moments. There's some half decent intrigue going on. It's all reasonably predictable but completely serviceable. The voice acting has been quite good and Galahad's actor is very solid. One thing I noticed, aside from all the other great sound effects, is being able to hear characters audibly breathing when it's really quiet. I like that a lot.

The visuals continue to astound. The way different materials react to light is probably what impresses me most. That and the bonkers anti-aliasing. They've done a wonderful job of transitioning between cutscene and gameplay. Very often I don't realize it's switched.

Anyways, I'm probably closing in on half way through after about 4 hours and I am totally enjoying it. Personally, aside from the visuals, it's not blowing me away, but it is by no means aggressively bad. It's exceedingly well made and probably it's biggest fault is just a general lack of content which I think is a very valid complaint. $70 (damn you Canadian dollar) for a tight and enjoyable 7ish hour experience doesn't bother tremendously but it's definitely not something I want to support a lot more of. RAD's made a very solid game that doesn't deserve the reckless shit it's gotten from some places. For the absolute dead of winter, I am content as it is distracting and entertaining me. I guess that's all you could as for.

JohngPR

Sorry, I guess I was being too coy...thanks for those trying to help.

I preorderd from Amazon months back to get the CE and last month I decided get the PSN version instead. Although I cancelled my Amazon order, they sent me a preorder code anyway, so I have an extra code that I don't need.

I was hoping someone would mention that they needed one and I was going to give it to them. Just wanted to make sure it was going to someone that really wanted/needed it.

Anyone?

Three

Sorry, I guess I was being too coy...thanks for those trying to help.

I preorderd from Amazon months back to get the CE and last month I decided get the PSN version instead. Although I cancelled my Amazon order, they sent me a preorder code anyway, so I have an extra code that I don't need.

I was hoping someone would mention that they needed one and I was going to give it to them. Just wanted to make sure it was going to someone that really wanted/needed it.

Anyone?

Me?

Edit: Do ypu get the DLC if you get the game later or was it a preorder thing?

ironcreed

Banned
Game was awesome to me, can't wait for the sequel. Could use improvements but that's expected with new franchises.

Yeah, I want to see this game become a series as well. They have the foundation to build something really amazing. Less quick time events, perhaps throw in mystery and puzzles, a bit more freedom. Things like that. But it's a damn fine start and I can easily see them becoming another Naughty Dog in time. Ready At Dawn will end up blowing minds in the future, given the chance.

Jashobeam

I really wish they added the ability to quickly turn 180 degrees by pressing the opposite facing direction along with the x button ala resident evil.

gus-gus

Banned
Yeah, I want to see this game become a series as well. They have the foundation to build something really amazing. Less quick time events, perhaps throw in mystery and puzzles, a bit more freedom. Things like that. But it's a damn fine start and I can easily see them becoming another Naughty Dog in time. Ready At Dawn will end up blowing minds in the future, given the chance.

Yup wanted more fleshed out fights with the Lycans. Not bad though to start.

Jobbs

Banned
graphics are great. it's fun staring at things.

gunplay is very solid.

everything about the game is well made. a few years ago this'd quite possibly be an 8 or 9 metacritic, the only possible ding to the score being its apparent short length (I haven't finished yet so I can't comment for sure on how the length feels. as I said, I expect my time to be kinda long because I stare at shit a lot!).

the goalposts have moved lately, though, and reviewers are becoming more finicky, sometimes demanding "next gen gameplay" and other times not. sometimes punishing games for specific flaws or bugs and sometimes not.

Got to chapter 8 before turning it off for night. About 5 hours in, and I'm really enjoying it! The visuals and sound design are seriously top notch. I really need to get this soundtrack, it's incredible. The gun play is also pretty good -- nothing special, minus a couple of the guns (
that thermite gun :D
) -- but it's fun. I also really like the characters, and the story has me intrigued.

I do have some gripes with it though. Like those damn tutorial things still popping up to remind me how to do basic functions in the game, and the fact that I feel some of the cutscenes would've benefited from being playable sections. I also don't like how some chapters are just cutscenes.

After what I've played so far, I don't get these 2s, 4s, and 5s scores the game is getting. That just seems too low. So far I'd give it a 7.5 or an 8. I'm excited to play more tomorrow.

Also, maybe I missed it, but do they ever explain what exactly it is that they drink to heal themselves?

As someone who just finished two Ubisoft titles (FC4/AC Unity) it's so nice to play a game that's just so straightforward and focused. Instead of being bombarded by exp meters, side quests, millions of collectibles and all the other nonsense games are filled with now.

As someone who just finished two Ubisoft titles (FC4/AC Unity) it's so nice to play a game that's just so straightforward and focused. Instead of being bombarded by exp meters, side quests, millions of collectibles and all the other nonsense games are filled with now.

Great post. My thoughts exactly.

MormaPope

Banned

AAA games last year were extremely homogenized, but 2013 and 2012 were pretty varied.

RE_Player

If Ready at Dawn comes forward a year later with a sequel announcement alongside acknowledging The Order: 1886's problems I can see this being a successful franchise. This is very much the Uncharted 1 of the PS4.

ChawlieTheFair

pip pip cheerio you slags!
Hit chapter 15 tonight after starting playing at like 4:30 this afternoon, had some dinner and walked the dog though. Holy fuck does the game pick up after the first 2 or 3 hours. Way too cutscene heavy in the beginning. Not sure how I feel about the character chemistry between the main 4, was expecting something much better after all the impressions. Gunplay is great, the standard enemies are way too dumb though, the
lycan encounters
are also pretty lame and super easy. Can't wait to finish it tomorrow, gonna go HAM in the spoiler thread.

ending was
very batman like, but I guess thats kinda expected sharing the name of Dark Knight. huge set up for a sequel which I hope comes since this game could have been great with a bit more time. I thought Isa wasnt that believable in just rushing to judgement about Galahad and not letting him explain what on earth motivated him. werent they around for centuries? and was the fiance thing hinted at real or just joking around when she mentioned getting the blessing from the father

Half chapter 9: The game is fantastic. The encounter design needs big work and the story is simple but the script is perfect, great characters, amazing voice acting and sound, superb graphics and atmosphere. Mechanics work great and I'm playing on hard without aim assist, easy game though.

8+ for now, can't believe this game was so butchered from some reviewers. Cinematics aren't even that longer... maybe I'm trained because of Metal Gear and Telltale games, I don't know, I fell like I'm playing most of the time.

So, as I said, the only big issue I have is the uninspired combat design. Although
I really loved the battle against the elder lycan

WTF

The game looks like this I mean really!?
The visuals are so insane I just don't really have a reference point for them. I mean I have seen CG not look this good. I think the last time I was this amazed by the visuals of something it had to be MGS2. I thought the days of me being shocked were over. Damn this game is a orgasmic feast for your eyes no wonder they make you walk everywhere.

I just had to get that out of my system.

Secondly, I just got to chapter 4 and though there are certainly things that are annoying me they are slight annoyances. I am completely enthralled with the story, and characters.

The gunplay is excellent. Amazing feedback and audio ques. I love the way the movement and weapons feel and I get what Rapier meant about the KZ2 feeling. You just feel weighted in a good way. I hate the QTE takedowns though, they just feel so antiquated especially since I just came off of a replay of TLOU. Other than that though I got to say this certainly is proving to be a great experience so far.

Oh yeah one last thing.
The first Lycan encounter in the tunnels where you have to dodge them.
The audio design is marvelous. I almost jumped out of my chair it scared me so bad the first time one of them hit me.

antitrop

The gunplay is excellent. Amazing feedback and audio ques. I love the way the movement and weapons feel and I get what Rapier meant about the KZ2 feeling. You just feel weighted in a good way. I hate the QTE takedowns though, they just feel so antiquated especially since I just came off of a replay of TLOU. Other than that though I got to say this certainly is proving to be a great experience so far.

Bruce knows wassup

Like I said previously, the gunplay and weapons feel very responsive. It's like a different game going from wondering and observing to battle.

Black Hat

I booted this up and played through the starting cutscenes before. Why the hell can't you readjust the screen edges :/

Having the edges of everything slightly outside the edges of my TV drives me mad. My PS4 and X1 both don't scale right with my TV. But the TV is too cheap to have useful settings like overscan or whatever.

I need me a new TV.

Doesn't the PS4 have it's own inbuilt video settings for adjusting overscan? Pretty sure it is in the menus.

Bruce knows wassup

Anti I always trust you bro.
Honestly at this point(and it may change I am early) I don't know how people aren't enjoying this game. Its polished to a sheen. Such a great ride so far.

Like I said previously, the gunplay and weapons feel very responsive. It's like a different game going from wondering and observing to battle.

The first battle shocked me because you move so slow around the environment and everything looks so damn amazing that I just assumed it wasn't going to feel very responsive but it moves like butter.

MattyG

Banned
So HUGE SPOILERS
did we ever get an explanation on who the hooded guy talking to the Sir Percival was? Just a rebellion leader or something? How did Tesla come to side with the rebellion? Did Gallahad and Izzy have a romantic relationship? Were the vampires around before the werewolves, and they were actually pulling the strings?

I really hope we get a sequel to go a little deeper into these things.

EL CUCO

Just started chapter IX and I'm really enjoying it. It's much easier to appreciate when you accept it for what it is, instead of what it we were expecting it to be, or what it "could've been".

Length is definitely not an issue. I think I'm about halfway and put in about 5 or 6 hours already. It might start off slow but the pacing picks up a few chapters in. Totally fighting my sleep right now because I want to keep going to see what happens next.

Some cutscenes are long, but I don't feel like I'm being withheld from gameplay. QTE's aren't much of a bother either. Some of them require precise timing. I couple of sections gave me some RE4 vibes.

Radec

So HUGE SPOILERS
did we ever get an explanation on who the hooded guy talking to the Sir Percival was? Just a rebellion leader or something? How did Tesla come to side with the rebellion? Did Gallahad and Izzy have a romantic relationship? Were the vampires around before the werewolves, and they were actually pulling the strings?

I really hope we get a sequel to go a little deeper into these things.

No explanation. They tackled so much in this game more than they could fit in the disk. Sequel should answer some. I hope it gets it.

Does anyone know how to check the monthly rankings on Amazon? I see the hourly and it looks like it's around the 7/8 mark but don't know where the monthly numbers are.
Hopefully word of mouth will propel this game to sell decent numbers to justify a sequel.

emrober5

So, played about 5 hours tonight. I'm on chapter 8 and still loving it. Unless this game completely falls apart in the second half, I don't understand how this game got mediocre reviews.

The combat is so satisfying...that shotgun, my god.

jmaine_ph

Just started chapter IX and I'm really enjoying it. It's much easier to appreciate when you accept it for what it is, instead of what it we were expecting it to be, or what it "could've been".

Length is definitely not an issue. I think I'm about halfway and put in about 5 or 6 hours already. It might start off slow but the pacing picks up a few chapters in. Totally fighting my sleep right now because I want to keep going to see what happens next.

Some cutscenes are long, but I don't feel like I'm being withheld from gameplay. QTE's aren't much of a bother either. Some of them require precise timing. I couple of sections gave me some RE4 vibes.
This.

antitrop

Somewhat related to this question for anybody that's played it a fair amount. How good are the "branching QTEs" they were talking about before, are there even any?
Yes, there's a fairly notable one early on, and it's pretty well done. Think Krauser fight from the end of RE4, but with a few more options.

nemesun

Called it a night at the beginning of Chapter 11 and so far:

That Thermite gun..

eEyxWSt.png

That Arc Rifle..

qBFeTTE.gif

That Crossbow..

nlLaaht.jpg

I've done a complete U-turn on the combat front, If we ignore the shabby AI, the combat design as a whole is pretty ace.

graffix13

Got to Chapter 3 and I am liking it so far. Does it get worse? Honestly as much as it is getting bashed for hardly any gameplay I was expecting more cutscenes.

I will wait until I finish the story to final rate it but I would say it's looking like a strong 8 for me.

ChawlieTheFair

pip pip cheerio you slags!

With the exception of a couple, I actually thought they were. Too many of them were just pointless shit. But yeah I feel the same way, game picks up awesomely.

Somewhat related to this question for anybody that's played it a fair amount. How good are the "branching QTEs" they were talking about before, are there even any?

Didn't fuck up many of them, but the ones where I did it was an instant restart.

Got to Chapter 3 and I am liking it so far. Does it get worse? Honestly as much as it is getting bashed for hardly any gameplay I was expecting more cutscenes.

I will wait until I finish the story to final rate it but I would say it's looking like a strong 8 for me.
2 chapters through and you're already thinking about a score? I guess you know exactly what you want out of a game.

antitrop

I've done a complete U-turn on the combat front, If we ignore the shabby AI, the combat design as a whole is pretty ace.

I think the problem with the AI is that the level design doesn't give them opportunities to do anything interesting.

If you look at games like F.E.A.R. and The Last of Us, it's clear that much of that comes down to exceptional level design. FEAR might be nothing but office spaces and hallways, but that's what suited that game best.

MattyG

Banned
Did anyone else notice
Izzy breathing heavily in the scene where she follows Gallahad and goes into the brothel and the scene towards where she going into the hideout? It almost sounded like she was sniffing for something. Once Allistar was relvealed to be a lycan, I thought they were going to drop the bomb that she was too.

Top Bottom