• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order: 1886 |OT| Gears of Yore

Just finished. Ended up loving the game. I was honestly looking at it as something to get out of the way since the gameplay didn't look all that appealing. It turned out to be a great experience. It's short, but definitely worth the time.

antitrop

The tutorial boxes of this game are a sin.

If they're going for such an immersive and cinematic feel, that just takes everything they're going for and throws it off the top of the Empire State Building.

I mean... not even the option to turn them off?

I like how it's still trying to teaching me how to run, halfway through the game. Jesus

If your game is more handholdy and thinks less of the player's confidence in the controls than Call of Duty, then you need to take a fucking step back and look at what you're doing.

jmaine_ph

If they're going for such an immersive and cinematic feel, that just takes everything they're going for and throws it off the top of the Empire State Building.

I like how it's still teaching me how to run halfway through the game. Jesus
They are annoying. I was looking for the option to turn them off but nope.

Dawg

Is it okay for me to post a screenshot thread? Feel like we could use it.

I could get something together quick.

MattyG

Banned

I like how it's still teaching me how to run halfway through the game. Jesus
Chapter XVI

Hold L3 to move faster

I like how it's still trying to teaching me how to run, halfway through the game. Jesus

Haha, yeah. Every game needs to have more tip/HUD customization.

Is it okay for me to post a screenshot thread? Feel like we could use it.

I could get something together quick.

It would be good, there's a lot of shots in the console screenshot thread but that is buried in community.

Cloudy

Banned
There's not much else to play though. Game was released at the right time, if anything :p

Yup. It'd have been slaughtered last fall but might very well do great right now even despite the negativity

JJP12

Just checking this thread out and wow I can't believe that there's so many people enjoying the game. Despite the awful review scores, I kept my preorder and picked it up before work today. I'll probably be able to start it sometime tomorrow. You guys got me excited again hopefully this weekend will be a good one. I'll post my impressions after I finish the game. Hope everyone continues to enjoy themselves =]

RedAssedApe

Banned
More people are coming out of the woodwork about the issue I am having, like me they are having it ONLY with this game. I hope its a bug that R@D are working on.

err...is there a reason why you don't describe the issue? does it contain spoilers? lol (or did you just post earlier in the thread? i'm pages behind)

If your game is more handholdy and thinks less of the player's confidence in the controls than Call of Duty, then you need to take a fucking step back and look at what you're doing.

That's a damn shame. Why do they not have an option to turn that shit off? It's such a basic option, I don't understand why they would overlook it especially since they're going for a cinematic experience. I hope it gets patched in.

skelekey

Glad I'm not the only one annoyed by the tip boxes. All of that and the button prompts on the doors seems to work against their vision.

antitrop

That's a damn shame. Why do they not have an option to turn that shit off? It's such a basic option, I don't understand why they would overlook it especially since they're going for a cinematic experience. I hope it gets patched in.

The game's Settings menu is a damn ghost town. I'm surprised they even let you adjust the individual volume levels.

The only video setting is a Gamma slider. Can't change the control scheme, either, and I don't really like the default very much.

This 100%. I was just thinking to myself that I should check to see if there's an option to turn them off. The game telling me how to jump every single time there is an instance where you have to jump is so frustrating. Or as you mentioned, teaching you how to sprint. I've always found this to be a huge pain in games. It's either a third person or first person shooter, we all know the basics of playing those games. Meanwhile I have used blacksight once because I completely have forgotten it exists or how to use it due to it being forced once in a tutorial. I'd be ok with them reiterating that a few times, but sprinting, zooming in to look around, jumping, I think we got that.

Seeing all the positive buzz from people actually playing it is giving me hope that this will sell well enough for a sequel. I really want more from this universe.

About to dive into this in about an hour or so. Will post my thoughts later. Not because anyone will care, just because I want to ;)

I think for me it'll hinge on whether I can get into the story or not but we'll see.

antitrop

Meanwhile I have used blacksight once because I completely have forgotten it exists or how to use it due to it being forced once in a tutorial. I'd be ok with them reiterating that a few times, but sprinting, zooming in to look around, jumping, I think we got that.

Yes, I thought the same thing. Blacksight is the one game mechanic that I don't fully understand, and they only explained it quickly, once.

Meanwhile, they can't stop telling me how to Sprint. What. The. Fuck?

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
The writing is bad by what standard? The dialogue is bad? The plot is bad? The collectable text is bad?

What about the writing is bad?
The romance aspect is definitely half baked. You don't get the sense that these characters love each other at all, they're also quite one dimensional and the story is rushed. The antagonist is also very obvious but the reason why comes out of nowhere and makes very little sense considering the premise of the game. And then the ending turns out to be terrible. There's also some very amateur mistakes made during some narrative moments of the game that seem pointless to include, like the brothel scene, which starts with "Oi, you can't bring weapons in here! Buuuutttt you can keep those huge as hell knives on your back." and then proceeds to have a scene where you enter a room with two people having sex, and the dude runs for a pistol sitting in plain sight, after you disable him it doesn't end there, there's a machine gun sitting in plain site in the same room.

Radec

Just got to use the triple barrel shotgun. My goodness.
I used that on one of the last part of the game where you can kill 3 dudes in 1 shot. After downing 9 dudes, the game's framerate went down to like 15 fps for 6secs.

The game can't handle the awesomeness of the Three Crown.

ironcreed

Banned
I got right at 5 hours in and am only on chapter 8. The only knocks so far is that they should have done more with a couple of chapters besides making them cutscenes and walking, and they could also stand to pare back the quick time events. But other than that, the game is just plain great. There is more shooting than I was expecting as well, and it feels solid as a rock.

wolfhowwl

Banned
The romance aspect is definitely half baked. You don't get the sense that these characters love each other at all, they're also quite one dimensional and the story is rushed. The antagonist is also very obvious but the reason why comes out of nowhere and makes very little sense considering the premise of the game. And then the ending turns out to be terrible. There's also some very amateur mistakes made during some narrative moments of the game that seem pointless to include, like the brothel scene, which starts with "Oi, you can't bring weapons in here! Buuuutttt you can keep those huge as hell knives on your back." and then proceeds to have a scene where you enter a room with two people having sex, and the dude runs for a pistol sitting in plain sight, after you disable him it doesn't end there, there's a machine gun sitting in plain site in the same room.

The villain also actually says
"We're not so different, you and I"
, LOL!

eshwaaz

I'm only about an hour in and I already agree with you. I can't imagine how annoying they'll be hours from now.

Cloudy

Banned
The game's Settings menu is a damn ghost town. I'm surprised they even let you adjust the individual volume levels.

The only video setting is a Gamma slider. Can't change the control scheme, either, and I don't really like the default very much.

I wonder how much support the game will get post-release. Patching in some stuff to fix the annoyances would be a nice gesture to fans.

I haven't finished it yet (Just Chapter 3 lol) but some DLC would be nice too. You just know they have stuff they cut out

Grisby

Opening of Chapter 5 is stunning. Damn. I saw some bits on youtube back when they first showed that section off but nothing compares to 'playing' it at home.

I wish this was a better game though. I'm up to chapter 8...9 (?) and while I've been having an ok time I keep feeling like this game should have been so much more. More gameplay, more options, better AI...

Man, if they could have put more effort into it actually being a solid TPS than some of those slow, forced walks.

Anyone here pick up the game today and not get the Knight's Arsenal DLC?

Best buy emailed the code to me (I pre-ordered online but picked up in store), other retailers might be doing the same?

Edit: might as well add my impressions while I'm in here. I played for about 2.5 hours and am currently partway through Chapter 2. Tried looking around for secrets but didn't find too much, although there's some conversations that you can overhear and it seems like there are audio clips that can be picked up. Playing on Normal with aim assist off, I blew through chapter 1 but then got stuck on one of the longer shooting segments for 30 minutes (dying and restarting from a checkpoint). Wondering if I should have used Blacksight during it, I totally forgot about that mechanic.

Game looks beautiful, the motion blur was bothering me at first but I didn't notice/mind it after a while.

b0bbyJ03

I've played about 3 hours of the game and I'm enjoying it. It's not a perfect game by any means the problem is that u immediately see the potential of this title which makes me wonder y they couldn't figure out how to squeeze it out while they play tested. The gunplay is solid as can be but the encounter design is the main issue. It's like they got lazy and had no creative inspiration when it came to setting them up. Just take cover here, pop up, shoot, repeat. The environments are so gorgeous and the artistic design is so amazing tho that it makes u want to keep going in spite of these issues. Don't know that I would call this a bad game by any means, just not a very good one. It's very enjoyable imo which I guess is what matters at the end of the day.

A_Gorilla

Banned
Okay Amazon, seriously, what the fuck:

OrderAmazon0969f.png

Its 8:41pm right now.

Playing this game for a couple of hours and loving it so far. And holy hell, the thermite gun is really fun to play. I hope this game will keep performing well in later parts (I am in chapter 3 btw)

And also, this game is very challenging on Hard difficulty. Goddamn, I cannot pop out the cover more than 10 seconds because of enemies' eagle eyes. It likes they don't miss any single shot when firing at me :|

Radec

So I'm in the Hospital section and I am going to be brutally honest, super brutal, honest.
I am enjoying the hell out of this game, if this is mediocrity then my friends I shall be mediocre for life.
Bu-but someone on the other thread said that if you really like the game you're just justifying your purchase.

:p

Dominator

Just got to Chapter 11, this game is still fantastic. Chapter 9 was long as hell too.

I just wish there was a collectible tracker. Literally my only gripe with the game.

Belldandy

Banned
Played about an hour, I LOVE IT. It is a stunningly beautiful "Gears of Yore" game with interactive cut scenes and a story. I got exactly what I expected and think it is money well spent. It's so nice to look at, I don't care how long it ends up being. I literally spent 15 minutes just gawking at the scenery, the amazing artwork and assets on display. Sweet bejeebus, have you seen the copper metal?

BraXzy

I booted this up and played through the starting cutscenes before. Why the hell can't you readjust the screen edges :/

Having the edges of everything slightly outside the edges of my TV drives me mad. My PS4 and X1 both don't scale right with my TV. But the TV is too cheap to have useful settings like overscan or whatever.

I need me a new TV.

AlphaDump

Gold Member
Despite its short comings, I am looking forward to a sequel. I just hope they provide a bit more freedom.

I cant say it enough, the graphics are just simply incredible. I think Assassins Creed Unity on PC with a hefty rig is a pretty good rival, aside from framerates.

GeekComplex

Neo Member
Is there a trophy for beating it in hard mode? I am gonna try going for platinum in my first playthrough.

No, but if you are, use a variety of weapons and ensure to use melee combat while you're at it. Those are the few I missed. It's definitely an easy plat. trophy for those who care about that sort of thing.

Also, for those curious, 16 chapters in all, but in honesty I believe a total of 5 are cutscene only. Maybe it was 4, but either way, 16 total.

Top Bottom