• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order: 1886 |OT| Gears of Yore

MormaPope

Banned
I think the problem with the AI is that the level design doesn't give them opportunities to do anything interesting.

If you look at games like F.E.A.R. and The Last of Us, it's clear that much of that comes down to level design.

Max Payne 3 has really average level design but the AI is ruthless and smart as fuck, not to mention that street soldiers operate differently than police and mercenaries.

With the exception of a couple, I actually thought they were. Too many of them were just pointless shit. But yeah I feel the same way, game picks up awesomely.
I agree. It would be better if we had control over the melee mechanics. While pressing a button and watching the character doing all the moves is fun and entertaining to watch, it will be very repetitive and boring later on.

I think the problem with the AI is that the level design doesn't give them opportunities to do anything interesting.

If you look at games like F.E.A.R. and The Last of Us, it's clear that much of that comes down to exceptional level design. FEAR might be nothing but office spaces and hallways, but that's what suited that game best.

It's the level design and regen health. Regen health severely limits what you can do with your enemies and it's why I completely tuned out when I found the game was using it.

Beefy

If they sort out:

Level design.
AI.
Cut back some of the cutscenes or extend game play.
Stop the weird "you can only walk" parts.

Then this will be a great game franchise. I am so hoping it sells well (or good enough) so we get a sequel. I really enjoy the whole setting/ story of this game.

ChawlieTheFair

pip pip cheerio you slags!
Did anyone else notice
Izzy breathing heavily in the scene where she follows Gallahad and goes into the brothel and the scene towards where she going into the hideout? It almost sounded like she was sniffing for something. Once Allistar was relvealed to be a lycan, I thought they were going to drop the bomb that she was too.

Lol yeah, I thought it was
jack the ripper in the brothel or something and she was bout to get jumped lol, turns out she just breathes like a mammoth. Must be that corset.

I agree. It would be better if we had control over the melee mechanics. While pressing a button and watching the character doing all the moves is fun and entertaining to watch, it will be very repetitive and boring later on.
This as well, especially for the stealth bits.

ok so should i get this game? im hearing negative things and positive things. Not sure which to trust.

Honestly, if you can deal with a bad/super slow 1-2 hours opening, the actual game is pretty solid and I'm enjoying it. However it's a lot closer to Gears than it is to Uncharted.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Played about 6 hours, just hit chapter 11. Really enjoying the atmosphere, the gunplay, and the characters. Story isn't anything special but it's very well presented and well acted, which helps substantially.

That said, it is easy to see why people would have an issue with the overall design of the game. If you don't like even a single one of the key elements of this game, your enjoyment will be immediately ruined. Thankfully, I'm having a good time. Been a fun ride so far and I look forward to the end. Will write up in depth impressions once I'm done.

If you look at games like F.E.A.R. and The Last of Us, it's clear that much of that comes down to exceptional level design. FEAR might be nothing but office spaces and hallways, but that's what suited that game the best.

Actually I've found them to be pretty aggressive and interesting on hard. If I choose to snipe, the shotgun guys will split up and flank me from both sides at once. I do agree that the encounter design isn't one of the game's strong suits but the AI is far better than I expected from some of the comments in reviews and the early impressions.

antitrop

Definitely. Its like KZ2 feat. TLoU, with regard to movement and weapon feedback.

The Order doesn't do grazing shots quite as well as The Last of Us. No game does, I think. The way that game handles those near-misses really goes a long way in adding excitement and quick moments of shock and relief to the gunfights.

Elios83

The shooting is some of the most satisfying I've seen in a TPS. I really hope this game doesn't bomb financially cos it's a great foundation for a franchise

Based on what I'm reading and what my friend list is telling me it seems like every PS4 owner has bought this game so I wouldn't be surprised if the opposite happened :D Also most impressions from actual gamers are good which might lead to a decent word of mouth with sales non stopping after 1st week. It's too early to tell but this could be a case where reviews and actual mainstream reception tell a different story. In other entertainment businesses like music and movies it's pretty common.

ChawlieTheFair

Really disliking the autocover, kinda wish you could just set it to be a button press. Not super bad in combat, but it shows during the stealth parts.

Skux

Story ramps up after chapter 5, I'm now on chapter 8 and really liking it so far.

I'm stopping to take way too many screenshots lol

nemesun

If you look at games like F.E.A.R. and The Last of Us, it's clear that much of that comes down to level design.

I concur wholeheartedly. The corridor after corridor level design has completely hampered the AI's ability to react differently to each scenario. Even the aggressive AIs such as the shotgun holders tend to just barge forward towards your location like a wild rhinos, without exception.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I got to play tonight for a good 2.5 hours or so, and here are some brief impressions for anyone interested:

Not much to be said about the graphics. The game looks amazing, best graphics on consoles, yadda yadda. The game oozes atmosphere, and the attention to detail is amazing. I'm an artist, so I spent a lot of my time just looking at all of the detail and artistry present. It truly is a technical showpiece for any platform. It's a testament to how far the industry has progressed in the 30+ years I've been a gamer. Performance and framerate was also rock solid. I think I saw a slight hiccup during one of the cutscenes. The transitions between gameplay and cutscene are perfectly executed, and many times you will be staring at the screen, wondering why nothing is happening, only to realize you are in control of the character, and the cutscene was over.

The game is VERY cinematic, as has been said. Considering that Ready At Dawn has never pretended that their game was anything else, I knew what to expect. The game is more like Heavy Rain and a Telltale game than I thought, with some TPS elements interspersed when appropriate. It's very much an interactive movie, and some people will be turned off by that. I personally loved Heavy Rain, Indigo Prophecy, and the Telltale Games. I'm a fan of linear games, but I'm also a fan of diversity in gaming. I can enjoy a sprawling open world, and I can enjoy a tightly controlled linear game, or a visual novel, etc, etc. So far, The Order is very linear, very controlled, very directed. I think it works to the game's favor, as I felt like I was watching an interesting TV show or movie.

The writing and acting is pretty solid as well. I think the voice work is very good, and the sound design is excellent as well.

I saved the gunplay for last. I really enjoyed it. I've only handled a few weapons, but one of the things that I was pleased with is that my concerns about the shooting at last years E3 are non-existent in the final release. The gunplay feels weighty, and reminds me of Killzone 2, even though it doesn't have quite the same impact. Headshots were incredibly easy to pull off (something that I had trouble with at E3), and going from cover to cover was smooth. I didn't have any problems with the combat encounters I experienced in my play session.

The slow pace of the game will turn off a LOT of people, and it is a slow pace, at least for the first 3 chapters. I didn't mind it, because it felt like any other well told story/movie/tv show. It established setting, characters, and premise, then slowly begins to ramp up to the real plot. Another thing that needs to be stated is that the game just isn't flashy. It's not a game of ball tightening set pieces from beginning to end. It's not Uncharted 2, or Gears of War (not a fan of the OT title, personally). It's not trying to wow you with explosions and collapsing buildings, at least not at the start.

The game is leisurely. Anyone who has watched the show Penny Dreadful might understand that (I love the show, but I feel it started out at a very leisurely pace as well, slowly layering on characters and plots, and then becoming progressively more interesting and compelling after that; I don't think I really "got" the show until about 5 or 6 episodes in, but I was interested in the setting from episode 1).

I love the setting of The Order. And the graphics certainly make the slow pace easier to swallow. The gunplay is satisfying. The story is compelling, with well written and acted characters. So far, I can't really see anything that is sub par. The game isn't trying to be Uncharted, or Gears of War, or any number of hot third person and first person shooters out there. It's The Order. It's fairly unique, and something I'm comfortable saying I have NEVER played before. It's very different from the typical TPS we have gotten before. That will upset some people who aren't comfortable with a different approach to game design and presentation.

In a post Uncharted, Gears, The Last of Us world, it's surprising to see a TPS that isn't just trying to copy that mold. I'm looking forward to sinking more time into it tomorrow, and once I complete the game (which, knowing myself, will take a while, as I play games at a snail's pace anyway), I'll be able to reflect on it more, but so far, I can't say anything is generic or standard. It's very subdued, and that is where I think its real ambition and individuality lies, not in an attempt to be innovative for innovation's sake, or blatantly copying existing formulas as a "safe" road to mainstream appeal.

tl;dr: these impressions weren't brief at all... slow paced game that isn't copying Uncharted or Gears, but has satisfying gunplay and amazing visual presentation. Risky design choices that I need more time with to determine if I find them positive or negative.

benzy

Wow that ending. -_- I definitely agree with the reviews on this one, so many fights against generic brain dead human enemies and identical lycan fights. It's unbelievably handholdy(yes, I know how to lockpick, this is the sixth goddamn time), gunplay is most definitely not as good as gears of war or TLOU, it's competent but nothing special, especially considering that the enemies are so repetitive. I agree with the metacritic score, 6.5/10, above average game that feels like a huge missed opportunity because the premise was really unique and the setting is not something we see often in games. There's also the tons of cutscenes for every nearly every single menial action. Ugh, disappointed. Will trade in on Monday, i'll stick to Bloodborne for my werewolf victorian london hunting pleasure,
and AC Victory for my historical tourism with an accurately populated London.
. Excited for the honeymoon period to end for most gamers who bought this on release. Also developers need to learn how to introduce their world properly, this game has a terrible and cliched use of in media res style storytelling.

Just wondering, did you complain about the bolded for ACU? Cause ACU suffers from those exact things, probably more so on the enemy AI and repetitiveness. :p

EL CUCO

ok so should i get this game? im hearing negative things and positive things. Not sure which to trust.
If you like linear SP narrative based games, I can easily recommend it. If money is a little tight, I'm sure it'll be cheaper in a month or so just because it reviewed so poorly.

The Order doesn't do grazing shots quite as well as The Last of Us. No game does, I think. The way that game handles those near-misses really goes a long way in adding excitement and quick moments of shock and relief to the gunfights.
Good point. Damage in the Order is very +, +, +, dead. I really liked in TLoU how there were those 1/2+ moments. Slightly different revovey delay, less screen fade, less vibration in the controller, etc.

Harlequin

I haven't played it yet so I'm just basing this off of the reviews and impressions I've read but: It looks like the presentation is awesome (graphics, art direction, animations), as is the sound and the VA's performances. From what I've heard the setting and lore are extremely rich and fascinating, although the actual plot is nothing extraordinary (it seems to be good just not through-the-roof good). The gameplay is solid but somewhat mediocre and it is extremely linear/scripted/cinematic (which was to be expected). There are many QTEs and a lot of lengthy cutscenes. The game does appear to be rather short, though this heavily depends on the individual player. Some have reported that it took them 10-12 hours, others have finished it in as little as 5-6 hours on their first playthrough (without bothering with any of the collectibles, though). Replay value seems to be relatively low unless you want to replay it just for the sake of re-experiencing the story. There are collectibles but there doesn't seem to be an in-game tracker to tell you how many you're still missing or in which chapter.

So whether you should get it or not really depends on your personal preferences. Do you enjoy heavily cinematic, story-driven games and don't mind them being a little on the short side? I'd say get it. Do you just really want to see what your PS4 is capable of graphically? I'd say get it but hold of until the price drops. If you're looking for anything other than those two I think you might be disappointed by the game, though. I'll probably get it tomorrow. I don't mind cinematic games and the setting and story are just extremely intriguing to me.

Did you buy retail or on the PS store?

Could be a defective disc,I have not seen anywhere else so far metion it.

there are a few people on my youtube commenting this happened to them too. It happens only on this game but it happens with both my Digital and Physical Copy. Reformatted hard drive etc still the same issue, I think its with the game and not my PS4. I got my PS4 launch day US

Oh shit, I never really thought of it from that perspective.

benzy

I wish the little nooks in the game yeilded some kind of reward. I find myself walking into beautiful dead ends, but there is nothing in them.

Yeah, there are many levels with surprisingly a bit more turns and platforms that aren't just FFXIII type alleyways. Too bad there's zero incentive to check every corner besides taking in the visuals. Having some detective work to sort of provide a motive to get people to explore the environments would have been great.

So the weapons are fun and the encounters with the
lycan
are some of the best parts of the game.. The rest of it is OK but I hope they're given a chance to make a better sequel because this has potential.
Nikola Tesla co-op hoard mode lol

viveks86

Will start writing my review in the next hour. Beat it on hard with aim assist off and 11 hours. Don't want to say more just yet as my head is swimming in vaguely formed thoughts, but I did not like the game :/

zychi

Banned
Make an entire game built around a cover mechanic. Main character cant use cover when holding a lantern.

WTF

Other than that, I'm enjoying this as a rental.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Anti, you're right. I think they should have picked a bit more from TLOU, the guns, while feeling heavy and all, could have felt a bit less accurate as guns from the era were, and made the enemies a bit smarter to my attempts at killing them. Try not to make them run into my sights, but rather go behind my back, not loading infront of me without cover, etc. Small details that go a long way.

The romance aspect is definitely half baked. You don't get the sense that these characters love each other at all, they're also quite one dimensional and the story is rushed. The antagonist is also very obvious but the reason why comes out of nowhere and makes very little sense considering the premise of the game. And then the ending turns out to be terrible. There's also some very amateur mistakes made during some narrative moments of the game that seem pointless to include, like the brothel scene, which starts with "Oi, you can't bring weapons in here! Buuuutttt you can keep those huge as hell knives on your back." and then proceeds to have a scene where you enter a room with two people having sex, and the dude runs for a pistol sitting in plain sight, after you disable him it doesn't end there, there's a machine gun sitting in plain site in the same room.

I can't explain the thing of the knives, but the guy who was having sex who had guns could be explain with the fact that he's a rebel and he was in an obvious rebel hideout.

So HUGE SPOILERS
did we ever get an explanation on who the hooded guy talking to the Sir Percival was? Just a rebellion leader or something? How did Tesla come to side with the rebellion? Did Gallahad and Izzy have a romantic relationship? Were the vampires around before the werewolves, and they were actually pulling the strings?

I really hope we get a sequel to go a little deeper into these things.

Nope to everything. Except the Isi thing, they said they were hinting at a previous relationship, but it's obvious they had to drop it because the Order has a chastity thing

Did anyone else notice
Izzy breathing heavily in the scene where she follows Gallahad and goes into the brothel and the scene towards where she going into the hideout? It almost sounded like she was sniffing for something. Once Allistar was relvealed to be a lycan, I thought they were going to drop the bomb that she was too.

Imagine if they were hinting this early that she's also a half breed? That'd be pretty awesome.

I wish the little nooks in the game yeilded some kind of reward. I find myself walking into beautiful dead ends, but there is nothing in them.

I wish so too, I think Naughty Dog did it perfectly. It's pretty amazing how they had extra areas but it never truly felt as if it had been as a dead end, but it had it's own small story. This is something RAD has to work on.

So the weapons are fun and the encounters with the
lycan
are some of the best parts of the game.. The rest of it is OK but I hope they're given a chance to make a better sequel because this has potential.
Nikola Tesla co-op hoard mode lol

Actually:

travis-pitts-tesla-lovecraft.jpg

This would be pretty amazing. Imagine some Lovecraftian monsters behind it all. Fucking do it, RAD.

Loudninja

there are a few people on my youtube commenting this happened to them too. It happens only on this game but it happens with both my Digital and Physical Copy. Reformatted hard drive etc still the same issue, I think its with the game and not my PS4. I got my PS4 launch day US
I dont know man sorry. :/

Wait it happens with both?

Maybe you have too many pics save on your PS4 weird stuff like that happens sometimes.

Some thoughts now that I played a bit more:

-The shooting really does feel fantastic. I fucking love it.
-The game feels like it forces you to rely a bit too much on cover. I know it's a cover based shooter, but I feel like I really get punished for trying to run and gun a bit, easily swarmed and overwhelmed at times
-The story (I am on chapter 3) has really picked up and I am in love with the characters and atmosphere. I hear it picks up even more later on which is good because I am already quite invested
-The pacing is a nice mix between walking around and shooting. I find I sometimes get exhausted with prolonged battles or sequences in action games so it's nice to have some downtime in between each
-Nothing more to say about graphics. It's gorgeous
-Agreed with the people who say the story could have had a better setup at the beginning. I am slowly piecing things together but it took a bit for the situation early on to become clear to me

Also, I've played about 2 hrs 55 minutes (yes I am timing my plays :p ) and I'm STILL only on chapter 3. How people are finishing this in 5 is beyond me.

ChawlieTheFair

This was also weird, like there's also those random cabinet draws you can open, and all Galahad does is like shuffle paper in them and that's it. Like could there be a letter or something to read lol, why have I gotta watch him shuffle paper for 6 secs.

Also unless I didn't see it, a typed font for reading stuff would be nice ala TLoU, I can't read all this fancy ass handwriting. Though I did like that the newspapers were actually legible.

Karak

Played about 6 hours, just hit chapter 11. Really enjoying the atmosphere, the gunplay, and the characters. Story isn't anything special but it's very well presented and well acted, which helps substantially.

That said, it is easy to see why people would have an issue with the overall design of the game. If you don't like even a single one of the key elements of this game, your enjoyment will be immediately ruined. Thankfully, I'm having a good time. Been a fun ride so far and I look forward to the end. Will write up in depth impressions once I'm done.

Though most responses have been good I have got a whole lot of heat concerning my review(I rated it worthy of getting) and because I didn't hate on the game. Your comments about any one of the particular aspects not hitting the mark with the gamer is exactly how I feel. As a reviewer this game has been insanely difficult for me to review because it is one that almost requires it to hit on all cylinders. If there is even one miss with the gamer it feels wrong and honestly most games don't require such a careful balance.

Not a 1 on a 1 to 5 scale wrong, but wrong enough to really disappoint.

hydruxo

Yeah same here. I walked into every room and dead end I could in hopes of finding stuff but most of the collectibles are in plain sight. Still though, I love how realistic the photos and newspapers look when you inspect them. Amazing stuff.

Just started chapter 4. So far so good. I'm moving at a snails pace becaust I keep checking out everything in almost every room. My girlfriend was laughing at me because I was just looking at a wooden railing for a minute talking about how real the wood looked lol. Holy shit at the graphics. I'm still in shock.

The story so far is OK, still pretty early. Nothing too exciting at the moment. Excellent voice acting though.

Definitely starts off pretty slow but it started to pick up at the end of chapter 3. Hopefully it stays a bit more busy from here on out.

The gunplay is good. The weapons feel great, got a nice weighty feel. The hit reactions are excellent, blood splatters are top notch. Playing on hard with auto aim off isn't a walk in the park but its not frustratingly hard.

Enemy AI is fine, they flank you, rush you, they got good aim but not unfairly so, they change cover when you`re under suppressive fire. Friendly AI is dumb as a brick.

It took me a minute to get used to the cover system. At first popping in and out and running to the next spot felt wonky but now that I got the hang of it, it feels pretty great.

The melee is pretty crap IMO. At first I thought it was cool with the camera cuts but after a few times of seeing the camera be in a blind spot or just really bad angle, I really wish they would have went with more of a TLoU style melee system instead of just pressing triangle. Slamming heads off of a ledge is satisfying though for sure.

Most of my gripes so far are not ruining the experience for me, I am thoroughly enjoying myself so far but its too early to tell how I will feel about the whole package. I'm done for the day but am already looking forward to playing more tomorrow. So far I am pleased with it.

This was also weird, like there's also those random cabinet draws you can open, and all Galahad does is like shuffle paper in them and that's it. Like could there be a letter or something to read lol, why have I gotta watch him shuffle paper for 6 secs.

Also unless I didn't see it, a typed font for reading stuff would be nice ala TLoU, I can't read all this fancy ass handwriting. Though I did like that the newspapers were actually legible.

I thought it was funny that the book/letters were identical in drawers right down to the left side books falling over

Top Bottom