• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order: 1886 |OT| Gears of Yore

Vinc

I like the game much more than the reviews indicate so far, I hope this continues to be the case as I play.

Ricky_R

One or two reviews, sure. When it's the vast majority then you can't blame someone who being hesitant with their money.

Yeah. I mean, I buy whatever I'm interested in despite reviews, but I wouldn't hold it against anybody who uses reviews as a metric or at least a reference, specially when the majority (like in this case) are negative. The same for those who buy games based on great reviews.

Certainly disappointing reviews. I am still excited however, this is the first game on current gen to really fully come together visually in a new way in my opinion. Ryse was almost there, but this pushes it into near CG territory. i.e. consistency.

Dunan

Code redemption question: anyone know if these are multi-regional? I got some weapons/outfits as part of my Amazon Japan pre-order but will be playing on my US account.

YTgy5QS.png

Heh.

Majanew

Banned
Holy crap, the review thread is flying by... can't keep up. Anyway, I can't believe the 4/10's when the game isn't broken. The 1-10 scale is broken, though, when it comes to reviewing games.

Holy crap, the review thread is flying by... can't keep up. Anyway, I can't believe the 4/10's when the game isn't broken. The 1-10 scale is broken, though, when it comes to reviewing games.
The problem with the scoring scale as far as I'm concerned is that we treat everything below a seven as trash. "5" should be the average point, and there a "6" should be above average, not "total trash."

Hopefully this is one of those cases where sales speaks louder than reviews and hopefully if the game sells well, then RAD will be able to join the Sony family.

Metro has always used the 10-point scale in earnest. And also a very vocal critic in stuff that The Order doesn't do well.

ced

Hopefully this is one of those cases where sales speaks louder than reviews and hopefully if the game sells well, then RAD will be able to join the Sony family.

I wouldn't be too concerned with R@D, they clearly have incredible technical talent that is valuable.

Tfault

Finally got my shipping notice, hopefully will have it tomorrow and enjoy over the weekend. Don't take notice of reviews also, the only way to judge a game properly is to try it for yourself.

Nice OT by the way.

SSReborn

I dont see the last thing you said happening especially after this game but RAD can definitely redeem themselves in future releases. It wouldn't make sense to aquire a dev who literally just released a dud on your console critically.

FireSol

It's not scale problem here...the problem here is that players/press always want to have this wow factor when they play the game and solid game is not enough anymore.

Saberus

Think even though the reviews for the most part are disappointing, I think the game is still going to sell very well, and for some reason I feel it will sell best outside north america.

They won't dump RaD after all the work put into the engine. I'm confident they'll get at least one more shot to work on The Order.

Amazon shipped mine yesterday. One of my friend's brother worked on the game so he's gonna come over and we're gonna play through it in a sitting. Should be fun.

I think this will sell well despite the reviews. If it does maybe RAD will stay with Sony and hopefully surprise everyone with the next Order.

watchdog

We're so close! I got an email that my copy had shipped from Amazon and now I'm checking for updates every few hours. :p I just hope it arrives by the time I get home from work on Friday.

Hasney

I disagree, especially after reading the 4/10's. If a game fails to do what it set out to do, I think it deserves it and in their opinion, complaints were lobbed at everything from story, pacing and gameplay mechanics.

When I get to play this on Saturday, it should be interesting. it's not often I play a game so soon after release when I thought it didn't look like my kind of game at all, so hopefully I'll still have an open mind and see how I like it before trading it in for some delicious profit for Bloodborne credit.

Maybe the lowered expectations will help.

I'm not sure if its me, but the review thread feels really tame. Maybe I've just gotten used to GAF review threads and know the various phases and hoops it goes through.

I thought it would keep me entertained longer. Ah well.
wtzgU.gif

Hasney

I'm not sure if its me, but the review thread feels really tame. Maybe I've just gotten used to GAF review threads and know the various phases and hoops it goes through.

wtzgU.gif

The best review threads to read are the ones for a game that a lot of people think will be great and the reviews back them up, then out of nowhere, a 6 or 7/10. The whole conversation turns to that one review and it becomes brutal.

wtzgU.gif
There were a few loony juniors but nothing all too spectacular. Some silly fanboys with conspiracies, some jerks taking delight in others' failures and occasionally some good discussion. Seems kinda par for the course but at a much faster pace :p

MattyG

Banned
I'm still really excited about the game, but I'm kind of hesitant to pull the trigger now, especially on the $80 Collector's Edition.

breakfuss

Even IGN's video review of this was dreadfully boring. Hardly made it through. I decided a while back I wasn't buying this but now I don't even think I'm going to rent or borrow it. Just not interested. How is your story going to be ass when that's all you supposedly focused on? I don't understand it.

The reviews seem about righ from what I've played. The game is mediocre with some redeeming parts and some they seriously have to work on for the next installment.

Gameplay wise, The Order had every part it needed to be a good or even great game, but due to overexcessive hand holding it ended up a mediocre game. If they integrated the stealth and traversal mechanics into the core gameplay instead of just pulling those mechanics out whenever it fit their narrative and adjusted the levels for it this could have been great.

Top Bottom